• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATI 58XX Preview - Media Stuff goes in here.

Lucius86

Banned
So looking at AMD's future road map, would you say it be wiser to buy a Phenom today on an AM3 platform, then when 2011 turns up plop in a bulldozer? Or should I go ahead to buy a core i5 system?

Durante said:
Yeah, I'm just not sure yet if this really is that great a thing for PC gamers. Most "gamer's" PC games simply don't bother supporting integrated graphics these days. If those become even borderline viable with fusion-like approaches it will mean that the gap between the lowest and highest end configuration supported will actually widen further.

Well that's because they're almost universally terrible. "Low end" these days usually means you either target consoles or you target integrated graphics for a good majority of games. Moving that to a ~1/2 teraflop class DX11 GPU, 3ghz quad core and 4GB RAM doesn't seem like a bad thing in my book. These chips should run multi platform titles no bother.

Lucius86 said:
So looking at AMD's future road map, would you say it be wiser to buy a Phenom today on an AM3 platform, then when 2011 turns up plop in a bulldozer? Or should I go ahead to buy a core i5 system?

I couldn't answer that for you and honestly, its almost always better to buy components based on performance in the here and now, predicting the future isn't the safest game to play.

I think what this does do is make those low cost Athlon ii chips (like the X3 435) super appealing. They offer enough performance for the here and now imo, are super, super cheap, clock well and don't consume a load of power either. That you may be able to upgrade to a 16 thread next generation architecture behemoth only sweetens the deal.

Remember, this will be motherboard specific, the AM3 socket will support bulldozer but it will require a BIOS update, buying a popular board from a manufacture that was quick to add support of AM3 processors to old AM2+ boards (like Gigabyte for instance) seems like a good bet in ensuring you'll be able to make the switch, but its certainly not a 100% guarantee.

Fwiw, the $600 and £450 builds both fill these criteria, so that really goes to show what excellent value they are.

lowlylowlycook said:
Well, don't we have to wait until there is a similar mobile chip before PC gaming can be saved?

Mobile Llana "APUs" are hitting at the same time, and are based on the same die, this is one big piece of the puzzle I probably should have emphasised more. The only real difference will probably be clockspeed. A Llana based thin & light will be an awesome little machine.

Heck AMD are even developing a third chip specifically targetted at ultraportables and netbooks, it should scale between 1-10w. Its dual core, supports DDR3 memory and again packs an integrated DX11 GPU. It won't be a 480SP model ofcourse, but it sure as hell will be a million miles better than the awful integrated GPUs that Intel package with Atom. Again, both of these platforms will receive yearly refreshes to at least the integrated GPU.

Lucius86

Banned
brain_stew said:
I couldn't answer that for you and honestly, its almost always better to buy components based on performance in the here and now, predicting the future isn't the safest game to play.

I think what this does do is make those low cost Athlon ii chips (like the X3 435) super appealing. They offer enough performance for the here and now imo, are super, super cheap, clock well and don't consume a load of power either. That you may be able to upgrade to a 16 thread next generation architecture behemoth only sweetens the deal.

Remember, this will be motherboard specific, the AM3 socket will support bulldozer but it will require a BIOS update, buying a popular board from a manufacture that was quick to add support of AM3 processors to old AM2+ boards (like Gigabyte for instance) seems like a good bet in ensuring you'll be able to make the switch, but its certainly not a 100% guarantee.

Fwiw, the $600 and £450 builds both fill these criteria, so that really goes to show what excellent value they are.

Thanks for the detailed response. I realise there are a lot of unknowns right now, but seeing as my Core 2 Duo 6700 CPU and MB gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago, I am more concerned with future-proofing my system, seeing as I was going to wait another generation before my next upgrade.

If you were in my boots, would you plop money down on an Intel 1156 MB, Core i5 750 and 4Gb DDR3, or go with a Phenom X4 with an AM3 MB and the same RAM? What would you say (or anyone else in GAF!!!) is your gut feeling on this? Do I sacrifice performance now for potential future-proofing with just popping in a new CPU??

Lucius86 said:
Thanks for the detailed response. I realise there are a lot of unknowns right now, but seeing as my Core 2 Duo 6700 CPU and MB gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago, I am more concerned with future-proofing my system, seeing as I was going to wait another generation before my next upgrade.

If you were in my boots, would you plop money down on an Intel 1156 MB, Core i5 750 and 4Gb DDR3, or go with a Phenom X4 with an AM3 MB and the same RAM? What would you say (or anyone else in GAF!!!) is your gut feeling on this? Do I sacrifice performance now for potential future-proofing with just popping in a new CPU??

If you've got the money for it I'd probably take the i5.

Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but I have my doubts that Fusion will really give much of a boost to PC gaming. Intel will have Arrandale and Clarkdale before then, and Intel has a bigger presence in the laptop market (which more people continue to shift to). If developers were planning to target the lowest common denominator, they will still have to target Intel integrated. And of course there is the element of turnover -- people are upgrading their computers less often so it'll take some serious time before those chips become truly commonplace.

I also don't think integrated graphics are really holding back games now. For the most part, only the most mainstream games are still targeting that segment -- most of the prominent PC games today are multiplatform and make no attempt to cater to that market. Even Valve games (which are considered to target a broad spectrum of performance) require a dedicated GPU. In 2 years that will still be true, and when the next gen of consoles hits, integrated graphics (regardless of how far they've progressed) will once again be crap compared to what modern games will need.

Fusion certainly can't be a bad thing, but I really can't see it having a dramatic impact on the games GAF is most interested in. Maybe Sims 4 or Plants vs. Zombies 2 will be able to use DX11, but graphics aren't what people care about in those games anyway.

dionysus said:
Well, Intel just gave AMD an additional 1.25 billion so that should help AMD survive to see their roadmap come true. This clears up AMD's liquidity issues for the foreseeable future. Things are starting to turn around.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...31412169533976.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews

Intel got off lightly if anything, the period over which this dispute was over was when AMD's hardware was comfortably outperforming Intel's Netburst based chips. $1.25 billion is a nice figure and all and comes at a time when AMD desperatley need it but if AMD were in a much stronger position I could see that figure being much higher.

Honestly, its not in Intel's best interests for AMD to fold, if they think the anti trust suits are bad now, they'd be a hell of a lot worse without AMD around. In such a scenario I could easily see Intel being forced to give up its exclusive rights to the x86 ISA, and that's the last thing they want to do, its absolutely their strongest asset.

This is a biggy for all consumers as well:

The agreement, which also includes a renewed five-year pact to cross-license the companies' patents

AMD live to fight another day it seems in conclusion then, from 2011 onwards they've got very compelling products but the roadmap for 2010 is pretty bleak.

dejan

Stalker: Call of Pripyat - DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 10

j3dqzjbu3jo.png

Durante

Nice advantage there for DX11. I assume it's mostly because of compute shaders - all games that do more complex post processing should greatly benefit from those (potentially even on DX10 hardware, maybe to a lesser extent). Also another nice case of "hardware" tesselation being "free" :p.

M3d10n

Durante said:
Nice advantage there for DX11. I assume it's mostly because of compute shaders - all games that do more complex post processing should greatly benefit from those (potentially even on DX10 hardware, maybe to a lesser extent). Also another nice case of "hardware" tesselation being "free" :p.
Tesselation is the new antialiasing.

RavenFox

Banned
dejan said:
Stalker: Call of Pripyat - DirectX 11 vs. DirectX 10

http://www3.pic-upload.de/14.11.09/j3dqzjbu3jo.png[/IM][/QUOTE]
Looks like tessellation gives a major hit.
Also everywhere I look these cards are sold out. Anyone has a source?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
5800 drivers still won't work so i'm going to RMA the card. When rebooting for the display driver install the system locks up after the Windows log on screen and I get a 0x116 TDR BSOD error "attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed". Sometimes there would be some artifcats. It used to be "atikmdag - driver has failed to respond but has recovered" errors but my PC wouldn't crash and I could still play games. I tried the OEM, 9.1 & 9.11beta drivers and none of them work.

FoxSpirit

Durante said:

Well, you get it for free because if the game was simply DX10.1 it would perform worse. :D

artist

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Is microstuttering okay? This is all I wanna know.
Depends .. its there but not everyone can spot it.

There were some rumblings that this "X2" will have an SFR mode but not confirmed.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
:lol I was browsing Newegg on a whim and noticed that there were some 5850s in stock. When I clicked the product page, they were already sold out.

Red

Archie said:
:lol I was browsing Newegg on a whim and noticed that there were some 5850s in stock. When I clicked the product page, they were already sold out.
FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Man I wish you didn't tell me that. It means there was a chance I could have nabbed one.

Now I want to skip work and classes for the rest of the week. Gonna just sit home and hit f5 over and over.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
irfan said:

Aww crap, weren't the clocks going to be higuer than the 5870? What was all the fuss over overclocking this if the base clock is slow?

Zaptruder

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Aww crap, weren't the clocks going to be higuer than the 5870? What was all the fuss over overclocking this if the base clock is slow?

Probably just for marketing purposes.

Unlimited overlocking potential!

Yeah whatever dudes.

I wonder if it'll let you change clock speeds per application. That would be quite handy if you could... you'll be able to max 60fps with all but Crysis... so it'd just be a matter of changing the clock speed so that it's running at the lowest while providing the best locked frame rates possible, so as to conserve some power.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Archie said:

If you really want one, I'd suggest the auto-notify feature.

Archie said:
Wow at the pricetag. I know it is an ultra enthusiast card, but $600 is still a pretty penny. :0

Its two 5870s on a stick, seems reasonably priced to me. Strange that they're not calling it an X2, wonder if they've finally ditched AFR? Clockspeed is a little disappointing, though its easily rectified. If it is still AFR, I'd stay well away from any 2GB version, a 1GB framebuffer is going to prove a huge bottleneck for that card in time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
brain_stew said:
Strange that they're not calling it an X2
I think this is because NVidia released cards without any indication of their "X2 nature", making it look like ATI's X2 cards were slower than a single GPU card to anyone looking at a benchmark without extra knowledge.

FoxSpirit

irfan said:
Depends .. its there but not everyone can spot it.

There were some rumblings that this "X2" will have an SFR mode but not confirmed.

That was not the question.
"It's there" is the correct answer. Though who knows... they could have designed a good load balancing chip this time. Wich makes me wonder if Hydra will micro-stutter.

JudgeN

O this is the 5870x2, I was confused and thought this was the 5890 (with a massive price tag). *whistles* waits for 5890 specs *takes a walk*

Minsc

Gold Member
FoxSpirit said:
That was not the question.
"It's there" is the correct answer. Though who knows... they could have designed a good load balancing chip this time. Wich makes me wonder if Hydra will micro-stutter.

I wouldn't be surprised, considering Hydra actually reduces your framerate if you combine a faster card with a slower one (versus just running the single faster card by itself). :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Minsc said:
I wouldn't be surprised, considering Hydra actually reduces your framerate if you combine a faster card with a slower one (versus just running the single faster card by itself). :lol
Where did you read this? The article I read didn't show this iirc.

FoxSpirit

Hazaro said:
Where did you read this? The article I read didn't show this iirc.

Yeah, that where is that supposed to be written? All I know is that it cuts features to the lowest denominator, Dx9+Dx11 card = Dx 9 but that's it.

FoxSpirit

Minsc said:
*pics*
From here (about 1/2 way down), look at 4890 + 4770 vs just a 4890 in the charts above.

There is obviously a problem with that specific config since it doesn't run into the same issue when you couple the 4770 with the GTX260.

Nasty bug.

pestul

I still can't believe how lucky I was to get a 5850 in the end of October (in Canada even). I would be quite depressed if I was still waiting to put my new PC together because of one part.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
dejan said:
To keep the TDP below 300W.
Yeah just went to [H] and got the same info. I heard the regular 5870 cores can go to 1GHz easily went overvolted. Apparently, this card is a beast.

Top Bottom