• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus teasing new Etrian Odyssey announcement this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeededSleep

Ii really hope they go back to the over world type map that was in EO3. I loved exploring the ocean with limited movements to try and discover new routs.

I felt the classes were built a little better in 3 as well over 4.

Aeana

I don't understand why people must beg for this series coming on Vita. It always sold well on Nintendo handheld device, and the last one is likely to surpass the best selling in the series. It's like saying that next Persona should be on 3DS and not on Vita.

I think the main reason why it's unlikely to move is because of the map drawing aspect that is very core to the series's identity. Sure, you could do it with your finger on the Vita, but that'd be less accurate and you wouldn't have the benefit of the dual screens for quick drawing and the ability to fight/move and draw semi-simultaneously. Then again, I used to say that the FM music was core to the series's identity, too, and we all saw how that turned out.

I think the main reason why it's unlikely to move is because of the map drawing aspect that is very core to the series's identity. Sure, you could do it with your finger on the Vita, but that'd be less accurate and you wouldn't have the benefit of the dual screens for quick drawing and the ability to fight/move and draw semi-simultaneously. Then again, I used to say that the FM music was core to the series's identity, too, and we all saw how that turned out.

I too, carry the unrequited torch for FM audio genius...

Demon Gaze sold something like 80k+ (including digital), I believe that's better than just about every other recent Wizardry-style RPG not made by Atlus. So regardless of the difference in userbases, there's a significant audience for that kind of game on the Vita.

That said, this sounds more like Etrian Odyssey: Chrono Academy than a Vita port.
I don't think you know Demon Gaze very well. :p

NeededSleep

A compilation doesn't really fit with what Komori said. He's the director of the project, and he says it is a new direction for the EO series, and something they have been experimenting with for a while. He also says it is something both fans of the franchise and those who weren't fans of the franchise before might be interested in.

Game based off the anime based off the old game in EO style:

Tower Of Druaga odyssey: The Roper Roper Dance

I doubt it'll be an announcement for EO5. I would say it is either a compilation for the 3DS or the game is heading to Wii U. It'll be nice for the game to come to Vita but I don't know how that'll work given it need precise touch controls in order to draw the map and using your finger on the Vita screen isn't the best way to do that.

fates

What I don't get about the people asking for at Vita/PS3 announcements is that this a franchise that needs two screens unless they dump the mapping mechanic... which dumps half the franchise. I don't see that happening.

Whatever this announcement is, it's more than likely going to be on the 3DS or WiiU (or both).

As for what it is? No idea. 5 would be nice. They could make it a followup to 4 as 2 was to 1.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What I don't get about the people asking for at Vita/PS3 announcements is that this a franchise that needs two screens unless they dump the mapping mechanic... which dumps half the franchise. I don't see that happening.

Whatever this announcement is, it's more than likely going to be on the 3DS or WiiU (or both).

As for what it is? No idea. 5 would be nice. They could make it a followup to 4 as 2 was to 1.
It's a new spin and a new direction for the IP, doubt you would need the mapping mechanic if they turn it into an 3D action rpg.

vareon

I don't understand why people must beg for this series coming on Vita. It always sold well on Nintendo handheld device, and the last one is likely to surpass the best selling in the series. It's like saying that next Persona should be on 3DS and not on Vita.

I don't think anyone begged, anyway. It's just the information hints at something different, and Aeana's wut suggests something unexpected (and a bit silly?). Could be a different genre or a different platform, or different platform because of different genre.

fates

FOEtrian Odyssey, you are FOE and you must find and beat up unsuspecting adventurers.

It's kinda like Metal Gear except Snake would have god mode.

Amir0x

Banned
I just thought how good Etrian Odyssey Wii U would be...

...so i'm going to blindly hope it's that. Even though that's not "wut" like Aeana says so it's clearly not that

Tiktaalik

Are EO4 NA sales actually bad or down for the series? I saw it today when I was picking up Luigi's Mansion and kinda felt bad...

It won't be a realistic simulation unless you're forced to moved along a fixed path back and forth for hours until enemies trigger your aggro condition. :p

It could still totally work! You just sit there until adventurers aggro you, and then if you catch them, you get to thrash them.

It's game over if you fail to catch them or if they somehow defeat you. This could be a mobile game. I've already laid out an idea that's better than All The Bravest. :3

expel

Lol i cant post japanese blog link here can i? Cus that is the games name... they added the kanji shin in front of the title and the sub title is millenium no shoujo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom