• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes September 8th

Welfare

Ahhh ok. How about hardware? Reading this last page, seems pretty close ?

Hardware has been very consistent, except for April, where it was extremely close. It had the PS4 ahead, but the Xbox One was right behind it.

At the same time, you can not use it to guess how close or how far the two are from each other, as in May the PS4 was farther ahead of the Xbox One on Amazon, but overall, the gap was the same in May as it was in April (13k).

I agree about general trends, but in this case for this month other retailers had better deals than Amazon.
But not all deals were in favour for the same console, or?
So maybe in the end amazon is right again because competition took away sales from both sides of the scales.

On Demand

Banned
But not all deals were in favour for the same console, or?
So maybe in the end amazon is right again because competition took away sales from both sides of the scales.

Sorry. I meant better deals for XB1.

But your thinking could be correct also. The best PS4 deal was during Madden week though was it not?

At least every buyer gets a special treatment.
p032d667e8.jpg

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Amazon is not much accurate with the software, for example, according to Amazon Final Fantasy Type 0 should beat Battlefield Hardline in March, and at the end FF sold some like 1/5 of Hardline...
Or, in February, The Order did pretty well, much better than Evolve, but at the end Evolve sold much more.
For what i remember, Amazon never failed with the hardware since January 2014...

Hardware has been very consistent, except for April, where it was extremely close. It had the PS4 ahead, but the Xbox One was right behind it.

At the same time, you can not use it to guess how close or how far the two are from each other, as in May the PS4 was farther ahead of the Xbox One on Amazon, but overall, the gap was the same in May as it was in April (13k).

#25 PS4
#32 XBO
#47 XBO

...They are pretty close considering the two XBO SKUs, the ~13k gap seem about right.

Welfare

#25 PS4
#32 XBO
#47 XBO

...They are pretty close considering the two XBO SKUs, the ~13k gap seem about right.
Look at April.

#41 PS4
#42 XBO
#52 XBO

Much closer but still, the gap in April and May was 13k, which was my point. You can't use Amazon as a way to determine how close or how far the two systems are from each other in NPD.

With all those exclusives and heavy hitters the Vita should be swimming in share.

lol

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Look at April.

#41 PS4
#42 XBO
#52 XBO

Much closer but still, the gap in April and May was 13k, which was my point. You can't use Amazon as a way to determine how close or how far the two systems are from each other in NPD.

lol

Well, of course Amazon is not 100% accurate, but when console X is close with console Y, usually is not a massive victory, so i think we can use amazon for predict the gap.

With all those heavy hitter exclusives the Vita should be swimming in share.

Maybe if Sony didn't abandoned it so soon...

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I know this is August thread, but here the first Amazon track for September
#24 PS4 Destiny
#77 XBO elite
#83 XBO Madden

Seem a great start for PS4, XBO should rise soon... also, dat Uncharted. :O

ZhugeEX

Banned
No we can't use Amazon to predict a gap or certain amount of unit sales.

Yes we can use Amazon to determine hardware sku rankings should there be a notable gap between the two consoles.

Amazon, whilst growing in relevance, accounts for 10% or so of total sales, if that. It can be used as a guide but no definitive conclusions can be drawn.

No we can't use Amazon to predict a gap or certain amount of unit sales.

Yes we can use Amazon to determine hardware sku rankings should there be a notable gap between the two consoles.

Amazon, whilst growing in relevance, accounts for 10% or so of total sales, if that. It can be used as a guide but no definitive conclusions can be drawn.
Otherwise there would be discussion needed

Fat4all

Banned
Is Walmart still the top retail store when it comes to video game hardware/software sales, percentage wise?

It'd be nice to get a Walmart insider.

How bad Vita is selling this days? Less than 10k in a month?
Vita lives...

In Japan...

Honestly, I kind hate handhelds, even though I'm gonna trade my Vita in for a 3DS this black friday, that's only so I can game at work. Vita is a great PS1/PSP throwback machine, hmmm..maybe I will keep it as a legacy device.

Fat4all

Banned
Fallout 4 will sell more on Xbone. That's where the Bethesda fanbase is strongest.

I actually doubt this. Install base alone the odds are more in favor of PS4, maybe if Xbox can secure some sort of bundle, but it probably won't happen with the number they are already planning.

Why? Dragon Age Inquisition and The Witcher 3 also sold better on PS4.

That was true last generation when Xbox 360 dominated North America vs PS3. Not really relevant to the current market.

I just thought F4 would skew toward MS consoles, Sony users got shit from Bethesda last gen, stage-time at MS conferences, plus the F3 BC on xbone.

Just seems like an xbone franchise to me.

[3DS] 60k
[PS4] 220k
[WIU] 45k
[XB1] 210k

I just thought F4 would skew toward MS consoles, Sony users got shit from Bethesda last gen, stage-time at MS conferences, plus the F3 BC on xbone.

Just seems like an xbone franchise to me.

The script has flipped this gen.

Install base on PS4 could see it gather more sales plus everyone knows Fallout 4 is not an exclusive game.

Also casual users have forgotten how buggy Bethesda games were on PS3, they just wanna play the company's anticipated games.

blakep267

[3DS] 60k
[PS4] 220k
[WIU] 45k
[XB1] 210k

The script has flipped this gen.

Install base on PS4 could see it gather more sales plus everyone knows Fallout 4 is not an exclusive game.

Also casual users have forgotten how buggy Bethesda games were on PS3, they just wanna play the company's anticipated games.
While I'm not denying it will probably sell more depending on the gap, ESO surprisingly did better on Xbox despite there being a sizable sales gap and it having no marketing. So who knows how Bethesda games will fall

Only way Fallout4 would sell better on XboxOne would be that they actually market and bundle it as if it was important to them.
I heard they have the rights to do so.
Go, Spencer, go.

Vita lives...

In Japan...

Honestly, I kind hate handhelds, even though I'm gonna trade my Vita in for a 3DS this black friday, that's only so I can game at work. Vita is a great PS1/PSP throwback machine, hmmm..maybe I will keep it as a legacy device.
So, your job will let you play with a 3DS, but not a Vita? Do you work at Nintendo or something? lol

Sharpeye

Fallout will sell slightly more on Xbox in the U.S. I think due to playstation fans always getting shafted with bad ports in the past, the rest of the world on the other hand...

Top Bottom