• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

I had a LAN with some friends recently and started a new character for season 2. Season 3 starts April 5th, I'm going to Lansmash in Brisbane the weekend after, probably starting a new season with Lexi that weekend. Should be fun!!

I've never tried the Season stuff out.

I have a Barbarian at 70, a Demon hunter at 66 and a Crusader at 24 so the thought of a whole new character isn't too appealing.

jambo

I'm at work and I know shit all about mobile bands, but does anyone know how I'd go on Optus if I bought one of these from the US?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171569243169?rmvSB=true

Looks like the G2 D800 supports these frequencies

GSM 850/900/1800/1900, UMTS 850/1900/2100, LTE 850/1900/700/AWS*

So you just need to make sure Optus supports those in Australia

https://media.optus.com.au/media-releases/2015/dont-4get-australia-optus-has-you-covered/

“While Optus already offers 4G in many state capitals and major regional cities, we are improving our 4G network today with 700MHz in parts of the Sydney CBD, Chatswood and Eastern Suburbs; Brisbane CBD, the Gold and Sunshine Coasts; Adelaide CBD, Melbourne CBD, Geelong, Frankston and Mornington Peninsula; plus Hobart CBD, Perth CBD, Claremont and Cottlesloe.

The 4G expansion will broaden the reach of Optus’ existing 4G network, with plans to cover 90% of the Australian population by April 2015.

Looks like Optus switched on their LTE 700 at the start of this year, so you should be good.

Cerity

Phone contract is ending this friday, LG G3 or Note 3? I'll be definitely be fucking off the stock software and installing a AOSP/CM variant.

MoonGred

Phone contract is ending this friday, LG G3 or Note 3? I'll be definitely be fucking off the stock software and installing a AOSP/CM variant.

If you get the lg g3 let me know how you go with Cm, I'm still running stock because according to so many people the camera takes a dive when you install Cm.
My only gripe with the phone is that there's this weird issue with the Aux input, it will detect some earphones as a headset/Aux speakers which will cause the phone to freak out for a few seconds. And for some reason it randomly starts playing the lg theme music from time to time. From what I gather all these issues are fixed when you get rid of the stock os.

All in all the g3 isn't a bad phone at all, the screen is gorgeous although it can drain the battery fairly quickly.

Quasar

I've cancelled my Stan subscription. I can get nearly everything I watch on Stan on Netflix, last night while we were watching Better Call Saul and Community it kept cutting out and crashing and I'm not going to pay $10 a month for that kind of service, when Netflix does it better.

No more Stan shilling for me, no sir.

Am curious. What player are you using? Just wondering as I've using the iOS and Android players and never seen it crash or hickup.

That said I could see myself cancelling Stan once Community is over and I finish off a couple more shows. Though I imagine I'll turn it back on once/if they get Man in the High Castle from Amazon. I really liked the pilot. Or maybe I ought to just pay for Amazon Prime. I think its less than 120$ a year.

I kind of hoped the ramp up in content was a bit faster than the 1 or 2 things a week. Hopefully local Netflix isnt as bad. I especially thought they were sitting on a bunch to release on netflix launch day, but that never happened.

Stackboy

I've never tried the Season stuff out.

I have a Barbarian at 70, a Demon hunter at 66 and a Crusader at 24 so the thought of a whole new character isn't too appealing.

I found I could level up a character pretty quickly through Adventure mode. After 9 hours we had made it to level 55.

Am curious. What player are you using? Just wondering as I've using the iOS and Android players and never seen it crash or hickup.

I'm streaming it through my chromecast from my ios. The connection to the chromecast would give out from the ios app on occaison and then from within the app the stream would just crash itself. Not worth $10 a month when Netflix has something that just plain works and offers more. It's actually been getting worse since launch.

jambo

I'd go G3, looks like it's the better phone in almost every way, except maybe display wise.

Quasar

I'm streaming it through my chromecast from my ios. The connection to the chromecast would give out from the ios app on occaison and then from within the app the stream would just crash itself. Not worth $10 a month when Netflix has something that just plain works and offers more. It's actually been getting worse since launch.

That's how I use it too (and netflix). Wonder if thats a chromecast/wifi issue rather than a Stan issue.

But yeah, no point in paying for a service thats less reliable, especially if the content you want is mostly on both.

Stan works fine going iOS to apple TV via airplay though an app would be preferable. I was pleased to see Netflix app on both on my laptop and apple TV set to a US account worked fine with the details from my lapsed US account working with Netflix AU.

I only have Stan because of Community (there's also no Season Pass option anywhere, yet) and will likley can it once the current season is finished. But I'll also likley renew for more content.

I think some people are getting a little worked up about 'choosing.'

It's not a commitment longer than a month and it's free for the first month anyway. You don't like the content, or its exhausted, cancel and join the other one.

Maybe netflix should have made a more australian sounding version for the local market.

Netflix Cunt or Netflix Notfox

Yea the part I watched had 2 big enemies and 3 bird like ones, so that would make sense. Still it's a shame, I think I finally got used to 60fps
Yeah no way From will hit 60fps anywhere. They have gotten a LOT better recently compared to Blight town days of dev. Word is Bloodborne is 30fps for 98% of the time so I can dig it. Main thing I hate is major fluctuation of frames, hitting that quite a lot in Sleepy Dogs on PS4 (pretty shoddy port job).

Anyone interested in hitting up some Diablo III?

There's a 100% bonus to gold and exp running atm.
How long does it run for? Today is Bloodborne day lol.

I kind of hoped the ramp up in content was a bit faster than the 1 or 2 things a week. Hopefully local Netflix isnt as bad. I especially thought they were sitting on a bunch to release on netflix launch day, but that never happened.

Netflix upload/remove stuff every day, there are a few websites out there that track what's gone up and down.

Quasar

Stan works fine going iOS to apple TV via airplay though an app would be preferable. I was pleased to see Netflix app on both on my laptop and apple TV set to a US account worked fine with the details from my lapsed US account working with Netflix AU.

I only have Stan because of Community (there's also no Season Pass option anywhere, yet) and will likley can it once the current season is finished. But I'll also likley renew for more content.

I think some people are getting a little worked up about 'choosing.'

It's not a commitment longer than a month and it's free for the first month anyway. You don't like the content, or its exhausted, cancel and join the other one.

Sure. Though for the local players (esp Quickflix and Stan) its going to be rough.

Even though the Stan joint venture is from Fairfax and Nine, Foxtel has much deeper pockets so as to not give up.

So even though I like Stan (certainly more than Presto - which in its current state is unacceptable (SD only and pricier)) I kind of fear that what will be left is Presto and Netflix.

Watching the live stream on Bloodborne on giant bomb made it seem that the frame rate isn't all that great by the looks of it

I think it's usually around 27fps. It really does feel like Demons Souls 2!

Game is amazing though. I don't want to be at work, just want to go home and play all night.

Shaneus

Yeah no way From will hit 60fps anywhere. They have gotten a LOT better recently compared to Blight town days of dev. Word is Bloodborne is 30fps for 98% of the time so I can dig it. Main thing I hate is major fluctuation of frames, hitting that quite a lot in Sleepy Dogs on PS4 (pretty shoddy port job).
Wasn't Otogi 60fps?

Stackboy

That's how I use it too (and netflix). Wonder if thats a chromecast/wifi issue rather than a Stan issue.

But yeah, no point in paying for a service thats less reliable, especially if the content you want is mostly on both.

No other app crashes or has streaming issues on my Chromecast. I can always come back to Stan if it has better content in the future, and has PS4 or Xbone app.

Deeku

I think it's usually around 27fps. It really does feel like Demons Souls 2!

Game is amazing though. I don't want to be at work, just want to go home and play all night.
yah it's pretty good. but game seems to punish sloppy play more than ever now since you don't have the safety of hiding behind a shield:(

Fredescu

It happens when someone from a country with squat toilets attempts to squat on a sit toilet.

Apparently if you were brought up squatting, sitting is hard as it's not really a natural angle for the passage of excrement. So I have sympathy for that. I don't have so much sympathy for not cleaning up after yourself when you shit everywhere though.

lady-on-toilet.png

jambo

Good Game posted on their FB account asking people to list what TV shows they watch, and how they watch them, for research purposes.

One of the replies: "Gamergate related YouTube streams and videos. They report on game industry developments Good Game fence sitters won't touch."

God, some of the old work emails we used to get about the men's toilets were gold.

Bogies on the walls, unflushed shit (made worse by being in a building with old toilets with new cisterns that didn't flush enough water), no hook to hang your shirt (still don't understand that one). And there was one better story but it's not mine to tell.

The best one was a reply from someone trying to provide his theory on why the turds did not flush properly. Oh dear. that was a good un.

tl;dr shit out, shit inbox

apparently the ladies had issues as well but they only sent emails amongst the women.

r1chard

Good Game posted on their FB account asking people to list what TV shows they watch, and how they watch them, for research purposes.

One of the replies: "Gamergate related YouTube streams and videos. They report on game industry developments Good Game fence sitters won't touch."
Oh bless Gamergate. Still desperately trying to be relevant and not at all related to the ongoing hate movement also called Gamergate.

Fredescu

God, some of the old work emails we used to get about the men's toilets were gold.

A multinational company I used to work for had toilets that could be equally accessed by the reception and by the call center. The reception was used to show some important clients around the facilities, and the call center was used by people who would make and take phone calls for a living. This combination resulted in the general manager emailing a picture of a toilet seat covered in shit, as well as some words of general consternation, to about 400 people. Fun times.

In that same building, for a different company, an email went around to the female employees only about the toilets being clogged due to sanity napkins being flushed rather than being disposed of in the provided receptacle. One of the cooler ladies intended to forward it to her male friend with the comment "bitches flushing surfboards down the dunnies" but instead managed to reply to all instead. This resulted in a personal conversation with a manager that said lady would rather have avoided.

I thought Good Game did have a Gamergate episode?

Bogies on the walls, unflushed shit (made worse by being in a building with old toilets with new cisterns that didn't flush enough water), no hook to hang your shirt (still don't understand that one). And there was one better story but it's not mine to tell.

The best one was a reply from someone trying to provide his theory on why the turds did not flush properly. Oh dear. that was a good un.

tl;dr shit out, shit inbox

apparently the ladies had issues as well but they only sent emails amongst the women.

Oh come on, out with it! Nobody else here to tell the story
presumably

We had someone who would randomly take dumps on the bathroom floor in the middle of the night. We called him the phantom pooper.

jambo

I thought Good Game did have a Gamergate episode?

It came up a few times.

And lots of articles on the ABC website, unfortunately most of them with comments like this

"preposterously biased article.

gamers are angry because of corruption in the video game journalism and indie game development industries. various parties are profiting from unethical partnerships and backroom deals.

take some time to do some real research rather than parroting the "inclusive" gaming journalists' smear campaign.

check out the #notyourshield tag on twitter as well if you want to see who's really on who's side."

Jintor

THESE FACTS AND RESEARCH YOU'VE DONE ARE "BIASED"

WE'RE ALL ABOUT ETHICS IN GAME JOURNALISM

*continues to spew abusive bile at everyone and everything but particularly women*

Dmax3901

**AUSTRALIA!!** **PRICES NEGOTIABLE** **CAN POST TO YOU**

Selling used Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii games. All the cases and discs are in good condition. There are two things to note: Uncharted 3 is in the Killzone 2 case, and the Xenoblade Chronicles box only contains the soundtrack.

Total list of items for sale:

Xbox 360 -- $10 EACH

- Guitar Hero III
- Guitar Hero World Tour
- Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
- FEAR 2 Project Origin
- Fallout 3
- FIFA 10
- Bayonetta
- Army of Two The 40th Day

Wii

- Little King's Story $15
- Monster Hunter 3 $15
- Super Smash Bros Brawl $25
- Mario Kart Wii $25
- Wii Sports $10
- Xenoblade Chronicles (soundtrack only) $50

Playstation 3

- Uncharted Trilogy (Uncharted 3 is in the Killzone 2 case) $10 each or $25 for all three
- Heavy Rain $10
- GTA V $25
- God of War III $10

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It happens when someone from a country with squat toilets attempts to squat on a sit toilet.

Everywhere I worked in Taiwan had signs in the cubicles saying not to squat. It was funny really. I just imagined some dude jumping on the seat like he just saw a mouse or something.

Cerity

Might go the G3 then, my main concern was the battery life but people seem to be able to squeeze 4-5 hours which is what I'm getting out of my XZ now.

I want to download PoE, the preload is live and all but my internet is being peasant tier. It rained on the weekend here and it still hasn't recovered.

MoonGred

Might go the G3 then, my main concern was the battery life but people seem to be able to squeeze 4-5 hours which is what I'm getting out of my XZ now.

I want to download PoE, the preload is live and all but my internet is being peasant tier. It rained on the weekend here and it still hasn't recovered.

You'll get way more than 5 hours out of it, I don't know what's considered good these days, but I take it off charge at 4am and plug it in around 8pm, I'd say I'm a moderate user.

I made the mistake and believed the internet, everyone kept saying my monitor would arrive at my doorstep in 4 days, just spoke with the seller and I'll be lucky to get it before the long weekend Urgh!

Cerity

My bad, I meant in terms of screen on time lol. I'd expect way more than 4-5 hours of just life out of any phone these days.

I played Demon's Souls a fair while before DS1 came out but cbf continuing after like 5 bosses in or something. It was pretty stressful and I wasn't having much fun. Tried Lords of the Fallen, was ok, but I think I only made it 3 bosses in.

I don't hate a challenge but those games are not my scene.

oh hey MoonGred, I forgot to ever reply to your post asking about Korean monitors sorry
Which one did you end up going with?

I've had an X-STAR DP2710 (with multiple inputs) for a few months now. As far as I'm aware it's not one of the best ones but it's still been great for me. Love having so much screen real estate.

--

I really want to get an LG G3. I broke the screen on my Nexus 5 on Halloween last year and its battery life is terrible as well but I've been using it like that anyway. Surely the G4 has to come out some time relatively soon though no?

--

Logged onto ebay to check when I bought that monitor and the homepage looks like fuckin ASOS or some shit

wut

I played Demon's Souls a fair while before DS1 came out but cbf continuing after like 5 bosses in or something. It was pretty stressful and I wasn't having much fun. Tried Lords of the Fallen, was ok, but I think I only made it 3 bosses in.

I don't hate a challenge but those games are not my scene.

I tend to prefer laid back games now that I'm working full time/running a family but I've clicked really well with BB so far. Very very fulfilling to pull off the right timing and gut feeling moves to take out the incredibly deadly enemies. I expect I'll hit more than a few brick walls in terms of working out legit strategies so hopefully I can hold my temper until I nail it lol.

Where can 3/10 people meet other 2-4/10 people easily? At uni its all like 7/10 minimums and i feel like such an odd one out. Some i wondering where my fugly bretheren would usually frequent? And no one say the dungeon i want real answers lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom