• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

OK here's a Netflix question I can't seem to find an answer to: how much bandwidth an hour would this thing be using?

I have about 150GB a month to play with based on my typical usage. So that's what 5GB a day...I'd love to break that down into "oh 5GB will give me x hours of Netflix a day on one screen"

3GB per hour on HD quality.

OK here's a Netflix question I can't seem to find an answer to: how much bandwidth an hour would this thing be using?

I have about 150GB a month to play with based on my typical usage. So that's what 5GB a day...I'd love to break that down into "oh 5GB will give me x hours of Netflix a day on one screen"

It's right there on their website.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Adjust your data usage settings

Adjusting the data usage settings for your account is the easiest way to reduce the amount of bandwidth used while watching Netflix. There are 4 data usage settings to choose from, each estimate below is per stream:

Low (0.3 GB per hour)
Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
High (best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD, 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)
Auto (adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current internet connection speed)

With medium (SD) you're looking at roughly 7 hours of netflix from 5GB data.

are you optus or iinet/internode? of so, go wild with netflix

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/here-are-all-the-aussie-isps-that-will-stream-netflix-quota-free/

Quasar

I see! So its like the old days where video shops had weekly rentals.

I just assumed Netflix had the latest movies like six months to a year after the cinemas.

I don't know about time frames, but generally the streaming services get films after they are for sale or new release rentals. I guess it is akin to non new release videos. Though more complicated when it comes to films not release on disc. And with shows more complicated as streaming companies making their own content.

I am an idiot.

And I'm on Telstra (for now) so yaaaay worrying about this nonsense.

Presto?

I don't know about time frames, but generally the streaming services get films after they are for sale or new release rentals. I guess it is akin to non new release videos. Though more complicated when it comes to films not release on disc. And with shows more complicated as streaming companies making their own content.

Yeah, apart from exclusives most of the content is going to turn up after DVD release so brand new stuff is going to be relatively rare, at least for the next few years.

new releases- you'll still want your Movies on demand from Foxtel or your ISP or Google/iTunes.

Also, for reference. HBO Go/ HBO Now are more than just a legit way to watch Game of Thrones and other HBO shows, they also have HBO's current movie selections, which are generally pretty good and way in advance of Netflix.

Dryk

Eh, the movie is rated MA15+. If the people who attend the screening are old enough and not offended by whatever content it portrays, what do I care?
See ordinarily I agree. But in this case the movie is literally being broadcast out in the open next to a busy beach and eating district. Hell if it was on a weekend instead of a Thursday that building less than 100m behind the screen would be full of kids. But it's not hard to make a case either way.

Bernbaum

I was considering getting a second streaming service in addition to Netflix to increase the spread of available content. I've now decided that I don't want a fragmented market and that I will be sticking with just Netflix in the hopes that the local alternatives like Presto and Stan fail and their exclusive content is subsequently bought up by Netflix.

An argument for getting pay TV is access to sport but I have a direct subscription to the NBA, which for someone living outside of a USA timezone is actually ideal.

Yagharek

See ordinarily I agree. But in this case the movie is literally being broadcast out in the open next to a busy beach and eating district. Hell if it was on a weekend instead of a Thursday that building less than 100m behind the screen would be full of kids. But it's not hard to make a case either way.

Australia had to suffer south Australian puritan meddling in the classification system for years. Tough it out: you guys deserve a public showing of shitty twilight fanfiction. This is your penance.

Bishop89

sooooo...

went to check my usage (Telstra),

saw it was 17% "Hmm, only?" I thought to myself.

Saw my data plan and saw that it was 500gig! (my normal is 200gb)

Went on Telstra forums, and apparently there are groups which are eligable for a free upgrade!

<100 = 100gb
200 = 500gb
500 = 1tb

SCORE!

senahorse

sooooo...

Went on Telstra forums, and apparently Everyone will be eligable for a free upgrade!

<100 = 100gb
200 = 500gb
500 = 1tb

SCORE!

Not quite accurate, because I had the silly (see ahead) to upgrade my plan to 500GB in November I am ineligible for the upgrade, nor can I go back to my old plan as it doesn't exist anymore. Pretty annoyed about it all, Telstra are a bunch of scummy cunts though so I am not surprised.

Bishop89

Not quite accurate, because I had the silly (see ahead) to upgrade my plan to 500GB in November I am ineligible for the upgrade, nor can I go back to my old plan as it doesn't exist anymore. Pretty annoyed about it all, Telstra are a bunch of scummy cunts though so I am not surprised.

damn, that sucks. Edited my post.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
sooooo...

Went on Telstra forums, and apparently there are groups which are eligable for a free upgrade!

<100 = 100gb
200 = 500gb
500 = 1tb

SCORE!

Xenos don't read this post.

Edit: too late :(

Dunno where to ask this, so: What's the consensus on ozgameshop.com ? Legit place to buy games? Thinking of getting Monster Hunter 4 U from there. 50 bucks.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I can't help but laugh then cry inside at this celebration of getting higher data caps.

I miss my unlimited mobile internet in Taiwan. :(

Quasar

I can't help but laugh then cry inside at this celebration of getting higher data caps.

I miss my unlimited mobile internet in Taiwan. :(

I actually wound mine back as I'm just unable to use that much data. Even doing lots of streaming I've never passed 300 GB in a month.

Fucking hell. How does Netflix work? Magnets?

Streaming 1080p Kimmy while downloading trailers from Gamersyde. This is fucking insane.

So much better streaming than any other service I've seen by miles, it's not even funny.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I actually wound mine back as I'm just unable to use that much data. Even doing lots of streaming I've never passed 300 GB in a month.

It's more the principle than anything else. There's very few (if any) logistical reasons why data should be capped at all. It all comes down to artificial reasoning such as profiteering and protectionism - all disguised as providing "choices" for customers.

Fucking hell. How does Netflix work? Magnets?

Streaming 1080p Kimmy while downloading trailers from Gamersyde. This is fucking insane.

So much better streaming than any other service I've seen by miles, it's not even funny.

In before the throttling.

I still have only 200GB. My plan is bundled with a landline and unlimited calls though so I wonder if it's just straight up broadband plans getting these upgrades? Those who have had their quotas upped, are you on a bundled plan or just broadband by its lonesome?

I'm on iiNet (until they get taken over by TPG).
I'm still not gonna watch Gilmore Girls.
Gilmore Girls is fantastic. What is wrong with you?

Bishop89

I still have only 200GB. My plan is bundled with a landline and unlimited calls though so I wonder if it's just straight up broadband plans getting these upgrades? Those who have had their quotas upped, are you on a bundled plan or just broadband by its lonesome?

Gilmore Girls is fantastic. What is wrong with you?

not bundled, only broadband, no phone line.

I now have 1TB of internet per month.

That's alright.

Me too! Went into my account page and it listed 1TB, thought they'd screwed up the top up request I put in from the month before, then got an email today saying I now get 1TB a month. All of a sudden Telstra isn't as bad an option as it was.

I'm bundled with landline but not unlimited calls and got the upgrade.

I was nearly hitting my 500GB limit every month, and would go over when the School holidays hit, but that's with 3 kids all of whom watch Netflix on various devices. Thinking of dumping Foxtel now, the kids never watch it and it seems solely for the 1-2 hours the wife watches some crappy drama, most of which she can find on Netflix anyway. Would be easier if we got Digital up here as a backup but don't get a signal worth watching.

senahorse

Yeah he is there now.

Scheduled Downtime
We are busy gathering our party before venturing forth. You know how in-depth this process can be...

We'll be back soon!

ObsidianVerified account
&#8207;@Obsidian
PSA: The Eternity website is undergoing maintenance for the time being. I wonder why that could be...

Not long now :D, hoping the digital books will be available when it comes back on line.

Big W saying Bloodborne is $79, I thought it was expected to be $69 at both Big W and Target.

My Big W didn't have it in stock though! I asked and they said their stock was 0. And it was $79, discounted from $89. At Target now, nobody was there to serve me for 10 minutes. A person appeared, it sounded like it wouldn't be there either, she said they normally get games two days late. But she had it! I need to catch my train to go to work now though. I'll arrive early so I could leave early, it works out (not by planning).

$69 at Target is correct.

Stackboy

I was considering getting a second streaming service in addition to Netflix to increase the spread of available content. I've now decided that I don't want a fragmented market and that I will be sticking with just Netflix in the hopes that the local alternatives like Presto and Stan fail and their exclusive content is subsequently bought up by Netflix.

An argument for getting pay TV is access to sport but I have a direct subscription to the NBA, which for someone living outside of a USA timezone is actually ideal.

Unlimited internet is the best.

I've cancelled my Stan subscription. I can get nearly everything I watch on Stan on Netflix, last night while we were watching Better Call Saul and Community it kept cutting out and crashing and I'm not going to pay $10 a month for that kind of service, when Netflix does it better.

No more Stan shilling for me, no sir.

I won't play Bloodbourne but I'll sure as hell watch people play it.

Stackboy

Anyone interested in hitting up some Diablo III?

There's a 100% bonus to gold and exp running atm.

I had a LAN with some friends recently and started a new character for season 2. Season 3 starts April 5th, I'm going to Lansmash in Brisbane the weekend after, probably starting a new season with Lexi that weekend. Should be fun!!

farmerboy

What's bloodbourne?

The Melbourne developed version of From's Bloodborne.

There's a whole area in the game called Richmond where you have to avoid "junkies". They're too hard to kill so you gotta go around.

Actually, in the new patch (so I've heard) they're changing that enemy type to "hipster". It was an easy change, they just put beards on the character model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom