• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can 3/10 people meet other 2-4/10 people easily? At uni its all like 7/10 minimums and i feel like such an odd one out. Some i wondering where my fugly bretheren would usually frequent? And no one say the dungeon i want real answers lol.

Well if you don't have model good looks, at least try to dress well. If you can work up the effort, keep in shape. Being funny helps a ton also.

Uni has a normal distribution of attractiveness, so there should be plenty of less attractive people. They might all be hiding somewhere on campus though. For the less attractive gents, try the computing places, that's where I frequented :p

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Where can 3/10 people meet other 2-4/10 people easily? At uni its all like 7/10 minimums and i feel like such an odd one out. Some i wondering where my fugly bretheren would usually frequent? And no one say the dungeon i want real answers lol.

England.

According to that Normal Distribution thread, you're skewing the scales to fit the upper end of the spectrum to fit a psychological need. That is to say you're using the IGN scale instead of the Edge scale, so to speak. If that's the case, then the place ought to be just crawling with 4/10s at least.

The way we value looks as a society may drive less attractive people away from highly visible social scenes or make the places they do frequent less visible than they ought to be. Perhaps you can fix this by putting out a call to all the hideous people via some visible beacon... a skank signal, if you will.

It may actually be possible that less attractive people are rarer at university than in the general population. Attractive people earn more than everyone else, pretty people tend to pass on pretty genes and rich people tend to pass on wealth, which may result in a population that is indeed skewed by rich pretty people.

It's pretty horrific if you ask me.

Some of this may or may not be sarcasm.

There are many easy fixes for self presentation that will make you more attractive. Better hair care, clothes that fit/suit you, better developed conversation techniques etc. That way you can settle for the 7/10s that are so common and not have to chase that ugly unicorn.

MoonGred

But why not use the provided toilets on the train for that? Instead of getting potential pee and poo on a train seat. This is the same as people using display tables at Ikea.

hamchan

TIL the red stars on Netflix were not an average of what the userbase rated a movie. It's the Netflix super AI predicting how much I will like a certain movie/TV Show.

Bernbaum

Telstra done goofed.

6 months of Presto for free. Sign up for a new account and redeem voucher TEL515. You will need to add credit card details, but just cancel in 6 months.

The offer was supposed to be for new Tbox owners but it works for everyone.

Shaneus

Telstra done goofed.

6 months of Presto for free. Sign up for a new account and redeem voucher TEL515. You will need to add credit card details, but just cancel in 6 months.

The offer was supposed to be for new Tbox owners but it works for everyone.
Can you cancel right away and have it take effect in 6 months?

Would still count towards my quota anyway, so probably useless for me.

Bernbaum

Can you cancel right away and have it take effect in 6 months?

Would still count towards my quota anyway, so probably useless for me.

No idea. I just registered, so it works.

Also, the Southpark Pinball FX2 tables are on sale on Steam. I don't know anyone that has them and will be picking them up.

Kritz

Banned
Well if you don't have model good looks, at least try to dress well. If you can work up the effort, keep in shape. Being funny helps a ton also.

Uni has a normal distribution of attractiveness, so there should be plenty of less attractive people. They might all be hiding somewhere on campus though. For the less attractive gents, try the computing places, that's where I frequented :p

my rule of thumb was that the further up the hill you walked, the more attractive the people got.

N0VAM0D

So when did it become acceptable to change a nappy on a train seat?

Never.

That reminds me of a thread posted a while back, and (as I remember it) someone had to experience this stupid lady changing her kids diaper in a restaurant in the middle of the table.

Omikron

Never.

That reminds me of a thread posted a while back, and (as I remember it) someone had to experience this stupid lady changing her kids diaper in a restaurant in the middle of the table.

Here's a question for you, what do you do as a parent when a restaurant fails to provide any sort of changing facilities?

and/or

The change facilities are in the female branded toilets and you are a man?

Cerity

Trying out these roast chicken pringles, shit is absolutely nasty. It's like they mixed up chicken stock powder and salt and coated each pringle with about 1kg of the mixture.

Would not buy again.

TIL the red stars on Netflix were not an average of what the userbase rated a movie. It's the Netflix super AI predicting how much I will like a certain movie/TV Show.

Wait
It looks the same as this for you right (but with your name obviously)

nssZL6k.png

Here's a question for you, what do you do as a parent when a restaurant fails to provide any sort of changing facilities?

and/or

In the past we would avoid places with changing facilities when our son was in nappies. Sucks if you are at a relatives birthday party and they didn't bother to check though. The few times it happened to us in similar circumstances we changed the nappy in the car so it was fairly private (able to block anyone from seeing).

Kritz

Banned
Got Netflix last night

I'll never be bored again. omfg

dude I have netflix, automated usenet downloads for everything else, video games and all the other entertainment I could ever want. And I'm unemployed / self employed.

I have never been so bored in my life.

Fredescu

and/or

Boot of the car most of the time. Have done the standing change in the toilets a few times too. Before they can stand, eh, train seat, restaurant seat. On the table would be an unusual option though.

dude I have netflix, automated usenet downloads for everything else, video games and all the other entertainment I could ever want. And I'm unemployed / self employed.

Sounds like something that could be cured by harder work.

*whipcrack*

industrian

Pretty much this.

I've had the idea of an all-in-one entertainment PC (gaming, movies, etc) since 2004 and its got to the point where I now have tens of thousands of games, movies and TV shows available to me at any time combined with the general infinite entertainment possibilities available to me on sites like YouTube and such.

I spend 80% of my time on the computer bored and wondering what I could be doing.

industrian

Pretty much.

When I bought my 360 in 2009 I deliberately only had 3 games for it. If I beat a game, I sold it and used the money to buy another. I got a lot of mileage out of it this way before the inevitable collection built up.

If I ever decide to get a PS4 I'll try to use the same tactic. But hoarding PS+ games has got me a backlog of PS4 games already.

Ashtrax

I have a spreadsheet database of all the PlayStation digital content I've either bought, got with DLC codes and PS+.

If they could only add a search function to the download list (wishful thinking).

industrian

I have a spreadsheet database of all the PlayStation digital content I've either bought, got with DLC codes and PS+.

If they could only add a search function to the download list (wishful thinking).

A few months ago I decided to start taking an inventory of every game I own. I managed to get GOG and Steam before realising just what sort of ordeal it would actually be. That and I've no idea whether the Steam one is actually up to date or not.

Pretty much why I sold off all my old consoles etc. Never got used.

I've kept them purely as a legacy. So I can show my kids/grandkids/whatever what I used to play.

Quasar

Full pantry syndrome, duders. The more choice you have available to you, the pickier you get and the less appealing all of it seems.

Yeah. The old 100 channels and nothing on effect. I recall some study where when people are presented with more than I think 6 choices of a thing choice paralysis kicks in.

http://www.economist.com/node/17723028

Over the past decade behavioural scientists have come up with some intriguing insights. In one landmark experiment, conducted in an upmarket grocery store in California, researchers set up a sampling table with a display of jams. In the first test they offered a tempting array of 24 different jams to taste; on a different day they displayed just six. Shoppers who took part in the sampling were rewarded with a discount voucher to buy any jam of the same brand in the store. It turned out that more shoppers stopped at the display when there were 24 jams. But when it came to buying afterwards, fully 30% of those who stopped at the six-jam table went on to purchase a pot, against merely 3% of those who were faced with the selection of 24.

The researchers repeated the experiment with chocolate as well as student essay topics and found similar results. Too much choice, concluded Sheena Iyengar of Columbia University and Mark Lepper of Stanford, is demotivating. Others have since come up with similar results from experiments with writing pens, gift boxes, coffee and even American 401(k) pension plans. (It is not all that way: German researchers, by contrast, found that shoppers were not put off by too much choice, whether of jams, chocolates or jelly beans—though this may be down to Germany's price-conscious shoppers and the sheer dreariness of the country's supermarkets.)

I think part of that is why despite so much choice in games I'm gaming less, whilst I'm watching more linear content.

MoonGred

Pretty much.

When I bought my 360 in 2009 I deliberately only had 3 games for it. If I beat a game, I sold it and used the money to buy another. I got a lot of mileage out of it this way before the inevitable collection built up.

If I ever decide to get a PS4 I'll try to use the same tactic. But hoarding PS+ games has got me a backlog of PS4 games already.

I go into every console gen with this mindset, only to realise that the launch games I bough suck, which leads me to buy more that suck as well.
I find my avg completion rate on steam of 10% embarrassing.

hamchan

I made the decision to cut back on buying a lot of games too but that just means I'm cutting out indie games and b-tier full price releases. Only buy big tent poles like Bloodborne, Persona 5 and MGSV now. I'm helping fuel this AAA focused industry!

Seriously though, when I compare paying like 6 months for Netflix with a $60 video game, Netflix looks like way better value for entertainment.

Well I just experienced the most Tasmanian weather of all time.

Relatively cool but sunny. Then I get 1/3 of the way over the Tasman bridge on foot and it starts raining a little bit. Being the top of a bridge, the wind was bloody gale force shit and I couldn't deploy my umbrella. I was moderately wet by the time I was over, then as I'm getting this little retractable POS umbrella out its pissing buckets down from the sky, the heaviest rain I've seen all year. It's actually penetrating my umbrella and I'm still getting drenched even on the spots that are covered by it. Then thunder+lightning shows up.

Anyway the point of the story is I got completely covered in water. And as I type this, the intensity of the rain suddenly declined sharply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom