• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

I really hope Internode has a data increase soon.

Might even go to 50/20 so it's not as pricey.

But then 100/40 is just so fucking fast...

Quasar

100/40 is great when you're sharing the connection with like 3 other people

I'd have 50/20 if I was solo though, honestly.

I think I'd like 40 up for a while just to push a shitton of stuff onto a cloud storage service. But then I guess anything would be better than what DSL gets you in that respect, which is maybe 1.

Fucking open world games >_<

CBIk-cEUkAAOca8.jpg:large

Danoss

I may just take you up on that offer at some point. It's going to be a few years in the making. I haven't decided on a respirator yet. Either one of these: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/resp/ or just whatever happens to be at Bunnings when I've procrastinated for too long and finally need one.

The respirator I currently use is the Sundstrom SR100. I grabbed in in the Pro Pack from BC Coatings in Smithfield, which is the cheapest place I've found for this stuff, and it's close enough to my house. There's also the cheaper SR90 Basic Pack. The only real difference in these masks is the material they're made out of. The SR90 is made out of TPE (plastic/rubber) and the SR100 is made from silicone, which is meant for comfort when worn for longer periods of time. Wear one for long enough and you'll notice the difference. Replacement filters and pre-filters are cheap enough too.

The one you're looking at is aimed towards men with facial hair that don't want to shave it off. Very little protection is provided by these as it cannot form a seal against the face, which is crucial to ensure all air passes through a filter. Believe me, I went down that road because I didn't want to shave my beard and kept looking for alternatives that didn't compromise safety. Only a full-face mask and hood can pull that off, and you need to go air-fed for that too—it offers all-round better protection, but it's expensive and a pain in the arse. You can trim facial hair until its out of the way of the seal, which will look weird, or have only a moustache.

Nice. What were you cutting the MDF with? Sanded by hand? I've been watching a lot of youtube woodworking videos and kind of get the bug of wanting to try something, but even the "woodworking for beginners" type channels use a bunch of tools that I couldn't really justify buying yet.

These were laser-cut because precision was needed to suit PDFs with building external details on them, ready to use. Cheating, I know, but necessary for this purpose. Next step is sanding, which will be done by hand. A linisher would be nice, but I don't have a real need for one. Only the laser-cut edges need sanding because they won't accept paint on them in their burnt state. The faces will have things glued on them so no sanding required.

I used to watch a lot of episodes of The Wood Whisperer. He's a likeable guy, explains stuff well, and the production/presentation is great. He has a great workshop with plenty of things I couldn't justify buying either, but a lot of these are tools used for working on large pieces or to get through a lot of work for big jobs. These guys either have woodwork as their main/only hobby and can justify having these wonderful toys, or they do it for money and smaller power tools aren't worth the bother. I did learn very quickly that if you're working indoors, some kind of dust extraction is needed to avoid a permanent layer of sawdust on everything.

If I were cutting the mdf myself, I'd use a circular saw (don't currently have one, but have made do with a compound mitre saw) or a jigsaw depending on what sort of cut I wanted. I usually like to hit the edges with a router to smooth it out if I can. Any excuse to use a router is all I need. They're fun to use and the sound they make when they contact the wood is brilliant—it's so distinct, you can identify it from miles away.

Let me know if they're something you want to try. If I have the tools and can lend a hand, I absolutely will. I've almost pulled the trigger on an impact driver and hammer drill so many times. Almost any excuse would do.

Randomly bought Bloodborne while shopping. I don't even really want the game. Is there a surgical procedure that stops unnecessarily spending? I find myself buying basically every major exclusive and only finishing a third of them

MoonGred

Randomly bought Bloodborne while shopping. I don't even really want the game. Is there a surgical procedure that stops unnecessarily spending? I find myself buying basically every major exclusive and only finishing a third of them

When you find out what helps let me know, I suffer from the same disease. It was even worse when I bought stuff from ozgameshop, with their 2 week shipping I wouldn't even touch the game when it finally arrived. Maybe not buying every console would help.

Mrs Squirrel just brought to my attention the possibility that a former co-worker of mine may have a little crush on me. I was all like "Nah, couldn't be. I talked about my wife and kid to her all the time. Surely that's a bigger turn off than a neckbeard and a ponytail."

But now looking back, there were various non-sequitor moments throughout our interactions that are giving me pause, including a ton of times I may have unintentionally led her on.

This is awkward.

What's yo PSN ID? Add me - el_rezzo

We are already friends.

lol

When you find out what helps let me know, I suffer from the same disease. It was even worse when I bought stuff from ozgameshop, with their 2 week shipping I wouldn't even touch the game when it finally arrived. Maybe not buying every console would help.

Sometimes I impulse buy things from Dick Smith online or Amazon US or something and it takes 5-10 business days to get here. The anticipation is killing me and I'm checking my mailbox every day for signs of it.

Then I get it and just shelve it because it was just a fucking set of batteries or something.

MoonGred

Sometimes I impulse buy things from Dick Smith online or Amazon US or something and it takes 5-10 business days to get here. The anticipation is killing me and I'm checking my mailbox every day for signs of it.

Then I get it and just shelve it because it was just a fucking set of batteries or something.

You just made me feel so much better about acting exactly like this. On Thursday I kept checking my mailbox for Bloodborne, I step out for one minute, miss delivery and had to wait until Friday 2pm to go pick it up. Picked it up and from Friday until now I've maybe played it 3hours and just went back to Pillars and CS.
The last game I finished was The evil within and that was during the xmas break, I don't know what it was but I loved that game.
Could a lot of it have to do with the restricted playing time we have? I'm going to assume that the majority of use have more money than free time, which is fine for smaller games, but personally I more or less dread the day that a new Bethesda game will come out. There's no way that I'll be able to sink as many hours into it as I did with Oblivion/FO3/FNV/Skyrim, this worries me because I really love those games.

Fredescu

The respirator I currently use is the Sundstrom SR100. I grabbed in in the Pro Pack from BC Coatings in Smithfield, which is the cheapest place I've found for this stuff, and it's close enough to my house. There's also the cheaper SR90 Basic Pack. The only real difference in these masks is the material they're made out of. The SR90 is made out of TPE (plastic/rubber) and the SR100 is made from silicone, which is meant for comfort when worn for longer periods of time. Wear one for long enough and you'll notice the difference. Replacement filters and pre-filters are cheap enough too.

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely have a think about those ones.

If I were cutting the mdf myself, I'd use a circular saw (don't currently have one, but have made do with a compound mitre saw) or a jigsaw depending on what sort of cut I wanted. I usually like to hit the edges with a router to smooth it out if I can. Any excuse to use a router is all I need. They're fun to use and the sound they make when they contact the wood is brilliant—it's so distinct, you can identify it from miles away.

I have both a circular saw and a jigsaw. The circular saw was from Costco because they had a Hitachi for a particularly good price. The Jigsaw I got for $10 off Gumtree. The main tool I need but don't have for this project is a random orbital sander. I'm thinking the Bosch GEX 125-150 AVE looks good for the money. I'm trying to avoid spending Festool money even though people rave about them.

I have a couple of 12mm sheets of MDF for the boat. They're used as temporary bulkheads until you flip it and get the seats in. Then you can use the bits you cut the bulkheads from as a cradle to sit it in.

Oh right that's why I hate these fucking games. Because of having to repeat areas over and over until you "git gud". This isn't even fun it's like exam study for DXZ101 Introduction to Moving Slowly and Memorizing Enemies. Does big W allow game returns after you've opened the seal?

MoonGred

Are you having such a hard time with it Mutes? The game did make me rage quit for the first time in years, so that's something.

Are you having such a hard time with it Mutes? The game did make me rage quit for the first time in years, so that's something.

I got maybe 15 minutes in not counting load times. Got my weapons and killed the first "big guy" enemy. Not a boss. There's like a fireplace with 200,000 enemies surrounding it. I drew out and killed about 10 dudes. Then there was this guy who had a rifle. I shot him a few times and then he dropped to the ground behind an obstacle. I ran around the corner to kill him quickly because I could only see like one other dude and he wasn't super close. Then as soon as I run around the corner five guys swipe and instakill me.

I'm like "fuck retrieving that" and turned the PS4 off. I got like 5-6 bosses into Demon's Souls, and 3 bosses into Lords of the Fallen, so it's not like I can't play these games. I just find them draining and I only feel relief when I overcome these things, rather than satisfaction.

Unless I'm crazy I can't seem to block only dodge, so BB feels worse than the others based on my limited playtime.

Bloodborne looks delicious in motion. Tons of detail squashed in there.

Unless I'm crazy I can't seem to block only dodge, so BB feels worse than the others based on my limited playtime.

Yup that's the idea, more about fluid movement than turtleing. Once you master the timing of your sidestep/lunge/dodge and weapon swings you feel like a god.

Probably best just to return it if you don't find it satisfying.

hamchan

Oh right that's why I hate these fucking games. Because of having to repeat areas over and over until you "git gud". This isn't even fun it's like exam study for DXZ101 Introduction to Moving Slowly and Memorizing Enemies. Does big W allow game returns after you've opened the seal?

I got maybe 15 minutes in not counting load times. Got my weapons and killed the first "big guy" enemy. Not a boss. There's like a fireplace with 200,000 enemies surrounding it. I drew out and killed about 10 dudes. Then there was this guy who had a rifle. I shot him a few times and then he dropped to the ground behind an obstacle. I ran around the corner to kill him quickly because I could only see like one other dude and he wasn't super close. Then as soon as I run around the corner five guys swipe and instakill me.

I'm like "fuck retrieving that" and turned the PS4 off. I got like 5-6 bosses into Demon's Souls, and 3 bosses into Lords of the Fallen, so it's not like I can't play these games. I just find them draining and I only feel relief when I overcome these things, rather than satisfaction.

Take it slow. Walk around corners instead of run. Use the camera

Like Reptile said, once you get the dodging down you do feel like a god. The invincibility frames seem to last much longer compared to previous Souls games.

I've beaten the first 5 bosses in Bloodborne on my first or second try. Haven't had to repeat many areas yet since I normally get far enough to unlock a shortcut. Then you can mostly run from the lamp to the boss in less than 30 secs.

Though if you don't like previous Souls games it's safe to say you won't like the new Souls games.

Is it? I asked a question?

Also talking about visual, not the text.

No, it looks much better than that. JPG that's 76kb is not accurate.

Danoss

I have both a circular saw and a jigsaw. The circular saw was from Costco because they had a Hitachi for a particularly good price. The Jigsaw I got for $10 off Gumtree. The main tool I need but don't have for this project is a random orbital sander. I'm thinking the Bosch GEX 125-150 AVE looks good for the money. I'm trying to avoid spending Festool money even though people rave about them.

I have a couple of 12mm sheets of MDF for the boat. They're used as temporary bulkheads until you flip it and get the seats in. Then you can use the bits you cut the bulkheads from as a cradle to sit it in.

I have a random orbit sander. Since I only needed it for one job to replace a cheap unit that burnt out its motor, I grabbed the Bosch PEX 300 AE from Bunnings. It did the job without issue, so I got my money's worth. The only thing is the built-in dust extraction thing isn't so good and will spew dust from the seams whether it's full or not, but I don't expect much unless they're attached to a proper dust extraction unit.

Bosch Professional gear is solid. Those drivers and drills I've been wanting are both in this range. My jigsaw is from the Bosch consumer range, like my ROS, and it's served me well even though I'm not overly demanding. Festool stuff is brilliant from what I hear too (especially on the dust extraction front), but those prices are beyond justifiable for me unless it's something that demands the precision they offer. I wouldn't think twice about buying Bosch Professional kit, they're good value and great performers.

Cutting MDF is pretty straightforward as long as you have the right blades. Make sure to do this outdoors as the particles are incredibly nasty (they contain resins and formaldehyde). Of course you wouldn't be using MDF if you needed something that could handle water, but if you want prevent swelling from incidental moisture absorption, seal the edges at least as this is where it gets in easiest. Quick epoxy job or some acrylic primer/sealer will do the trick.

MoonGred

There's a lantern on the bridge? The bridge with the werewolves? If so I don't know how I managed to miss that.

BB is incredible btw. Still haven't even beaten the first boss but I love it.

Yea, just after the first boss. The location of it is really weird and pointless.

senahorse

20% off electronics on selected stores on eBay this Sunday. One of the stores is PC Case Gear which is cool.

The pccg ebay prices are more expensive than their website of course, but there still should be some savings. Also free shipping on a lot of stuff, and another 2% from cash rewards. Might be worth checking out if you've been putting off some pc upgrades.

Full store list is here https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/187802

Thanks for this, got those wireless scales I always wanted.

Lantern after the boss seems like a 'heh, would have been handy at the boss right? ;)' thing. Although a 'save' point after the boss is handy too!

There's a lantern on the bridge? The bridge with the werewolves? If so I don't know how I managed to miss that.

BB is incredible btw. Still haven't even beaten the first boss but I love it.

I've been to the bridge but haven't attacked the werewolves OR seen any bosses yet lol. Love how much of a maze the city is and how you can take multiple routes to get places. The shortcuts are pretty cool to unlock, makes you realise just how well designed the levels are.

I can beast through that ladder lantern -> bonfire mob -> dog cages circuit real easy now. My timing and judgement has increased dramatically just from running it a few times as a low risk way to get the feel for the game.

Fusebox

Banned
Lantern after the boss seems like a 'heh, would have been handy at the boss right? ;)' thing. Although a 'save' point after the boss is handy too!

I've been to the bridge but haven't attacked the werewolves OR seen any bosses yet lol. Love how much of a maze the city is and how you can take multiple routes to get places. The shortcuts are pretty cool to unlock, makes you realise just how well designed the levels are.

I can beast through that ladder lantern -> bonfire mob -> dog cages circuit real easy now. My timing and judgement has increased dramatically just from running it a few times as a low risk way to get the feel for the game.

Sounds like you're at the same level as me. Those werewolves wreck me everytime, I tried pulling one once but his mate came in halfway through and wrecked me.

Also the first boss is sooo close by,
when you get to the bridge with the werewolves go down the bridge away from the werewolves
. I haven't beaten him yet though, only had a few attempts so far. Love doing the bonfire mob -> dogs circuit too.

Deeku

hamchan made bloodborne sound like a walk in the park, but now that i hear where some of you other guys are, i feel better that i'm slightly ahead LOL :p

but yeah, game is hard as shit tho! i think i'm starting to get used to not having a shield, but i still panic/die when i get in some hairy situations.

I often think that I have crossed over into old manhood when I hear you guys get all hyped up on a game I know nothing about. Bloodborne sounds to me like a description of a particularly messy C-section.

I think Bloodborne is easier than Souls because you have the movement speed and stamina to dodge continuously and you can interrupt from range rather than ripotse from close range. I rarely got the timing right when countering in Souls because you get punished by taking a heap of melee damage for getting the timing wrong. I used the shield as a massive crutch in Dark Souls so BB has finally helped me get the agility classes in Souls.

MoonGred

I think Bloodborne is easier than Souls because you have the movement speed and stamina to dodge continuously and you can interrupt from range rather than ripotse from close range. I rarely got the timing right when countering in Souls because you get punished by taking a heap of melee damage for getting the timing wrong. I used the shield as a massive crutch in Dark Souls so BB has finally helped me get the agility classes in Souls.

100% this, I found the first two hours harder than usual because of the no shield to crutch on, but the fact that you can just keep dodging makes a it so much easier. I don't know if they've changed the parrying window in BB because it feels so much easier now than in DS.

Fredescu

My jigsaw is from the Bosch consumer range

If this Gumtree deal didn't come up, a Bosch green Jigsaw was probably what I was going to go for. Thank god you didn't make any pro Festool arguments. I understand "buy once, cry once" but there needs to be a snappy comeback involving something that rhymes with "overcapitalising." Thanks for the MDF tips, I've got a lot of learnin ahead.

I often think that I have crossed over into old manhood when I hear you guys get all hyped up on a game I know nothing about. Bloodborne sounds to me like a description of a particularly messy C-section.

OldmanAusGAF welcomes you. Come take a seat at the table saw.

Deeku

What weapon are you guys (peeps that are still semi early into the game) using? I've poked around a bit in threads and people are saying the kirkhammer is good, but the hammer part seems way too slow for my liking. Think I'll keep rolling with the axe until something else comes up?

What weapon are you guys (peeps that are still semi early into the game) using? I've poked around a bit in threads and people are saying the kirkhammer is good, but the hammer part seems way too slow for my liking. Think I'll keep rolling with the axe until something else comes up?

I'm still early but the sawblade is awesome due to the range and speed it allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom