• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I powered through Friday Night Lights a few years back after recommendation from both roosters and danoss. Great show, definitely recommended, gets a bit too soapy later on, but you'll probably be into it by then. It starts off a bit heavy on the churchy stuff but backs off pretty quick.

Since becoming hooked on The Flash, I started Arrow on Netflix. Only a few eps in but, It's pretty good. Not enough Smoak but it has John Barrowman, so looking forward to seeing what he does outside of Captain Jack. Kimmy Schmidt will have to wait until I finished catching with B99 S2.

I speak in code. You need an Enigma to work out things I say. You know who else would like Enigma?

Also- Birdman was excellent. I rented Boyhood so will give that a go this week.

Arrow has far too much soap to be healthy. CW shit as per usual. It's actually irritating how much it gets in the way of these stories. Sometimes you can hear a great thunk as the reels change and they interrupt your episode of superhero stuff for extremely contrived relationship drama. Which is cheap to make since there's no stunts involved, and thus there's a lot of it.

Arrow has far too much soap to be healthy. CW shit as per usual. It's actually irritating how much it gets in the way of these stories. Sometimes you can hear a great thunk as the reels change and they interrupt your episode of superhero stuff for extremely contrived relationship drama. Which is cheap to make since there's no stunts involved, and thus there's a lot of it.

Arrow has jumped the shark. Flash is so much more fun but I worry they won't be able to maintain it for more seasons.

yep, hence why I'm watching Arrow for the first time on Netflix, while I have a season pass for The Flash. For watch-once value, it's fine.

For me, entertainment value isn't limited to stuff that is perfect in every way, otherwise I'd be spending a lot more time outdoors. Nobody wants that.

You're in Season 1 right? It keeps going. Its pretty solid in S2 but a lot of the crap starts festering. In S3 I'm not really interested in it anymore. I might catch up with an ep or two as background noise but eh.

What happened to AusGAF? No cricket talk?

we won

What weapon are you guys (peeps that are still semi early into the game) using? I've poked around a bit in threads and people are saying the kirkhammer is good, but the hammer part seems way too slow for my liking. Think I'll keep rolling with the axe until something else comes up?

The cane is ridiculously good. Killed the first boss on my second try.

Second half of season 1 and then all of season 2 of Arrow was fun but mainly for Slade Wilson. It had plenty of issues that you'd be happy to overlook because of how good he was but season 3 just has the issues multipled and nothing to make you turn the other cheek for.

You're in Season 1 right? It keeps going. Its pretty solid in S2 but a lot of the crap starts festering. In S3 I'm not really interested in it anymore. I might catch up with an ep or two as background noise but eh.

about5 eps in. John Barrowman has been in one scene so far. Some stuff has been spoiled but I'm not so into this that it annoys me, but would prefer to discover stuff through watching, if possible.

also- Netflix for me has been pretty great on the quality front (maybe it's because there aren't so many subscribers in Australia yet) but I feel the quality is better and resolution more stable on my 15Mbps ADSL 2 that it was in the US on my 50Mbps LOL 30Mbps down cable connection.

Danoss

If this Gumtree deal didn't come up, a Bosch green Jigsaw was probably what I was going to go for. Thank god you didn't make any pro Festool arguments. I understand "buy once, cry once" but there needs to be a snappy comeback involving something that rhymes with "overcapitalising." Thanks for the MDF tips, I've got a lot of learnin ahead.

That's the first time I've heard that particular variation of this sentiment. The one most familiar to me is “buy cheap, buy twice”. There does need to be a snappy comeback when someone's using it in a condescending manner.

Some people need to understand the difference between a cheap product and a value product, unless it's my perspective that's off. I see cheap as something where its purpose is very limited or short (like completing only one job) and then if it falls to pieces immediately after, I wouldn't care. Value depends on the person, their skill, their expectations and the amount they're willing to spend ot are able to afford. A bad purchase is when you're better served by a value product and you buy a cheap one instead; the opposite isn't necessarily bad, but the money could be put to better use elsewhere (or the person is just a wanker).

I've never watched Friday Night Lights. Seeing it on Netflix has me thinking about it though.

Can anyone recommend it?

YES! This is something you would benefit from rectifying immediately.

Friday Night Lights is my favourite tv series of all time. It was like no other show before and I'm sure it won't be done again. The scripting, acting, camera operation and direction all contributed to something that feels natural and real, because it was.

Actors were given specific (dialogue) beats to hit, but the rest was up to them to improvise, including movements and actions—there were no marks for them to stand on.

This gave camera units some real work to do, with the actors movements being unpredictable. Often they'd be hiding in bushes or out of sight, but with room to manoeuvre so as to allow the actors to be in the moment. Many actors said this was done so well that they often didn't know where the cameras were. Some camera operators said they didn't want to work on another production after FNL ended, because this was what they thought it would be like, where they could be creative too.

Both these things made life difficult for the sound crew, because boom mics were off the table for the most part to avoid being in shots or hampering the actors movements. Sometimes you'll notice the sound may be a little off or muffled because they had to directly mic each actor and if they hug, it gets covered. They'd hide mics in parts of the location, like in bins and other places out of sight.

Without hearing from any of the shows crew, most of this would go unnoticed. Hearing it and reading about it makes it so much more interesting to me and helps explain why I had such a strong connection to the show and its characters.

Season 2 is a bit rough near the beginning, but I believe that was due to pressure from NBC at the time. It bounces back and is solid right through to the end.

The quality starts out crappy sometimes then ramps up over 30 seconds or so as it realises that it's on a fibre connection. LIke from 240p youtube video to basically perfect quality. The whatever-HD setting (not the 4k one) seems basically equivalent to BD stuff.

The quality starts out crappy sometimes then ramps up over 30 seconds or so as it realises that it's on a fibre connection. LIke from 240p youtube video to basically perfect quality. The whatever-HD setting (not the 4k one) seems basically equivalent to BD stuff.

Oddly enough on our basic ADSL it ramps up within a few seconds to 720/1080 where available.
Like I said, Netflix has blown me away in terms of quality here.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
What happened to AusGAF? No cricket talk?

we won

The cane is ridiculously good. Killed the first boss on my second try.

My train from the cbd last night. Was delayed due to hundreds of people walking down the traintracks from richmond to flinders street.

senahorse

Lots of talk about Bloodborne but nary a whisper about Pillars of Eternity in Ausgaf. Is it because not many here are playing it, or is it because you are so glued to the game you have no time to post? I was shocked last night to find Steam saying I have played it for 28 hours (probably a few idle hours there) and I only started playing on Friday afternoon and have only just finished Act 1. The game is nothing short of incredible and all I can think of sitting here at work this morning is getting home so I can play more of it. It's only March and there have already been a number of exceptional games (Grow Home, Ori and the Blind Forest, Cities: Skylines and now Pillars of Eternity), has been a great year so far for me :D. Divinity and Wasteland last year, Pillars of Eternity and (maybe) Torment: Tides of Numenera this year, for a genre that was stale/dead it's going pretty damn good. Obsidian have once again exceeded my expectations, if you have any fondness of the CRPG you need to play this game.

Cerity

I'm 14 hours in, somewhere in act 2.

Ther's just so much to do in Defiance Bay it's overwhelming. I want to do the out of town quests but I think I saw a melee character you could pick up and I have no idea where she went :(

Stackboy

I don't think I'll ever have a midlife crisis because I'm too busy being a big kid anyway.

Had a pretty fantastic weekend. Didn't do that much, but life has been pretty hectic of late. Saw a few friends, cooked some meals for an injured friend. Played alot of COD AW and FH2 (I think it's my second favourite arcade racer of all time, behind Burnout Paradise), binged alot of Netflix and hung out with my wife. Good times.

Getflix announced they are launching a VPN service next month. Free for existing members, not sure if it will be a different price for new clients.

Lexi is still lurking too, you should say hi!!

senahorse

I'm 14 hours in, somewhere in act 2.

Ther's just so much to do in Defiance Bay it's overwhelming. I want to do the out of town quests but I think I saw a melee character you could pick up and I have no idea where she went :(

The scary yet awesome thing about that is this:

Baldur's Gate and Athkatla are big cities. Spanning multiple large maps with a ton of interiors, characters and quests, big cities are a lot of fun. Like strongholds, they also take a lot of work to do well. We're going to have one big city in Project Eternity. Would you like two? If you take us on an exciting adventure to $3.5 Million, we will take you on an exciting adventure to another big city.

That goal was achieved. :)

Shaneus

Sorry, catching up after a weekend spent in Mornington for a wedding.
20% deposit is preferable- you avoid mortgage insurance.
C'est impossible. I tend to live to my means and not really save. So I have to pretend there's a few grand a month I can't spend. Or something. For three months, and pray the house I want doesn't sell.

Get a partner, very hard to do on a single income.
Would, but the girlfriend has only been in her current job for two weeks. Not exactly convincing :/ But it sounds like the way to go (in fact, my g/f did the same thing) is to get my folks (or sister and husband) to go guarantors on a chunk of the loan.

Shaneus. It's called saving... for years!

I have 20% to put towards a house, I just need to find one that's within my price range and I should be able to buy.

One day.
Fuck saving. Lived enough of my life not doing anything, not saving for another 5-10 years when housing prices have skyrocketed yet again (and staying in the same tiny 1BR unit).

Guerilla's terrain destruction has yet to be matched.
Terrain or building? From memory, RF:G didn't have any terrain deformation (or at least, very little).

Learn to be bored. Nothing wrong with idle time. If you don't believe it, try spending a month in port hedland. There's no other alternative except drinking yourself into oblivion.
Poor bugger. Are you still in WA?

I don't understand ‘bored’ either. In most cases it's not so much the lack of anything to do, it's the lack of interest to engage in any of them. Even then, it may instead be the possibility of something better delaying any decision being made.

Often there's isn't that one perfect thing to suit the moment when you're looking for it. I find that if I don't make a decision early on in that particular mode, the time is spent continuously searching until there's no time left to fill.

The most important thing is to make a decision. Rule out the obvious like things that would take too long, things you always do at another time (horror related things when it's dark and you're in the appropriate mood) and then choose something from what remains. Anything. That's the hard part done. After that, I have always enjoyed the time spent doing whatever I chose.

It's the problem with being spoiled for choice. The solution is like when you're playing a new board game and the best choice amongst many is not apparent or would take longer than appropriate to calculate. Eliminate the obvious bad/wrong ones and then choose randomly. Roll a die, flip a coin, use a random number generator or something to help you. The choice itself is not as important as it is to simply make one.

I can understand that a long day can sap you of the will to do much at all. That's something a little different, especially if you're mentally drained. Exhaustion doesn't really qualify as boredom.

One thing I won't buy into is there being ‘nothing to do’. That's rubbish. If there's pen and paper handy, you can draw, write, design, whatever. Constructive stuff is the best because you keep occupied and entertained, and there's the satisfaction of having diverging to show for your time. Even if it's not complete (whatever it is), you've got something to look at and inspire you to complete it and/or improve upon it.

That's a long rant, but I was filling in time waiting in the doctor's office. Figured if lazy old Danoss and his ADHD brain can focus on something and get it done, anyone can.
Wonderful post. I will save it somehow to remind myself when I'm "bored". However, I'm rarely bored as most of my spare time is spent playing pinball or Driveclub. I have no issue not playing new games I've bought because I've not bought any for ages.

You should, sheds are awesome. On the one hand I don't think a midlife crisis is a real thing, but on the other hand I just spent $1000 on plywood, epoxy resin, and fibreglass to build a boat. So if it's a real thing I'm right there with you.
My new potential new place has a new(ish looking) double lock-up garage that seems to be in pretty tight nick. Perfect for pinnies or otherwise solid man-cave.

r1chard

Yep, netflix gets an enthusiastic upvote from me. Unlike other services it has content I actually want to watch, and I can just fire it painlessly from the browser on the PC connected to the TV. I forced it to always go HD rather than auto, which seemed to make it go HD more often. Watched a couple of eps of TV and a film so far, with plenty more in the to-watch list.

Shaneus,

The more you put down as a deposit, the less you have to pay off later with interest. deny yourself things now and save now or deny yourself things and pay off later. either way, you have to cut stuff out

Anyway, you do need to save, and be able to show a history of savings to show that you can service the loan. Any bank that offers to lend you money when you can't afford repayments and have living money left over is bad news.

The rewards are there- you have an asset, an investment, somewhere to live, and assuming you eventually pay it off- rent free retirement.

Or, you could have Bloodborne Day 1, depends on what your priorities are.

I've been doing pretty well saving except I just dropped 13 grand to fund my parents European holiday. I'm expecting about 1/3 of it repaid. But I promised my mum if she survived her cancer stuff last year I'd send her to Istanbul and St Petersberg so it was time to pay the piper.

radaxian

I've been doing pretty well saving except I just dropped 13 grand to fund my parents European holiday. I'm expecting about 1/3 of it repaid. But I promised my mum if she survived her cancer stuff last year I'd send her to Istanbul and St Petersberg so it was time to pay the piper.

Good on you - top work.

What weapon are you guys (peeps that are still semi early into the game) using? I've poked around a bit in threads and people are saying the kirkhammer is good, but the hammer part seems way too slow for my liking. Think I'll keep rolling with the axe until something else comes up?

Axe simply can't be beat. Upgrade it, level up your strength, and you have a weapon that apparently can carry you through the entire game.

I played about 9 hours yesterday while my gf was at work. I spent a good 5 of those repeatedly bashing my head up against a boss who I eventually beat, and finished the session by beating another boss on my first try. It's going to take something absolutely exceptional to top it as my GOTY.

MoonGred

I keep restarting pillars and just don't know what class to pick. What would be the most beginner friendly?
I keep getting my ass kicked in random encounters, got better at micromanagement during fights but my start formation really screws me over.
I currently have it set with fighter and monk upfront with priest and mage in the back. The problem is that every time I click to a location it rotates the formation placing either monk/priest or fighter/mage upfront, the only way I can fix it is by rotating the formation each time I move which gets old pretty quickly. Am I doing something wrong?

Use a custom formation. This is one of the options in the formations list.

Also, stealth EVERYWHERe if you suspect there might be any danger. Even on 0 stealth skill with chars (they should get 1-2 as they level up since you'll have spare points tho) you will spot enemies before they spot you. The second most important thing here is to set the auto-pause settings to auto-pause on enemy sighted. I also use others like low endurance, characte knocked out, and enemy eliminated.

Quick save is great.

Never disengage your mages or whatever unless you have tons of endurance and have someone else immediately there to engage the enemy. Otherwise you're just giving the enemy a free hit.

The extended range after the base range on AOE abilities (yellow part of the cone or circle) does NOT give friendly fire. Allies caught in the base raneg WILL be subject to friendly fire unless the ability specifically says it only affects enemies.

MoonGred

Thanks for the tips Mutes. I'm using a custom formation though which looks like this
M=monk
F=fighter
P=priest
W=wizard
X=blank spot

xMxFx
xPxWx

But for some reasons it always ends up like this when I move

PM
xx
WF
xx

Actually yeah my custom formation never looks exactly right either. Try putting extra spaces in the formation to really clearly deliniate who is supposed to be in front. If you can't get that to work, swap the order of the portraits down below to get the characters where you want them in the formation.

senahorse

Agree with those tips, stealth+fast mode everywhere, except in tight passages, where traps might not be detected fast enough. Game certainly has a very high difficulty curve, if in doubt, hire another adventurer.

I like the following formation

********************************Figher(tank)*****************************
X
X
X
X
X
Rouge*******Wizard********Priest********Hunter********Chanter

Fighter goes in first and generally takes most of the aggro, hunter sends pet in. Rouge (me) is ranged but also melee to handle mobs that come in. Works ok, sometimes the battle just ends up in a brawl. I am hitting that space bar every couple of seconds to manage it all.

Yep, netflix gets an enthusiastic upvote from me. Unlike other services it has content I actually want to watch, and I can just fire it painlessly from the browser on the PC connected to the TV. I forced it to always go HD rather than auto, which seemed to make it go HD more often. Watched a couple of eps of TV and a film so far, with plenty more in the to-watch list.

Yeah I've been enjoying a film or two and House of Cards S3 too. The misses even picked a Jen Aniston flick last night so it's getting a good free month of use. We'll see if we keep it at EOM.

Shaneus

Shaneus,

The more you put down as a deposit, the less you have to pay off later with interest. deny yourself things now and save now or deny yourself things and pay off later. either way, you have to cut stuff out

Anyway, you do need to save, and be able to show a history of savings to show that you can service the loan. Any bank that offers to lend you money when you can't afford repayments and have living money left over is bad news.

The rewards are there- you have an asset, an investment, somewhere to live, and assuming you eventually pay it off- rent free retirement.

Or, you could have Bloodborne Day 1, depends on what your priorities are.
Ah, but asking the folks (or a sibling) to be guarantors covers all that regardless of my ability (and not counting the time taken) to save. Not to mention, not counting the money I'd be saving by living in my own place immediately and not shelling out rent *while* I'm trying to save. That's a goddamn killer :/

MoonGred

I'll mess around with it some more tonight.

Urgh I just got an email from the ebay shop I bought my monitor off that they've hit production issues and won't be have it until Wednesday or Thursday, this I after I was guaranteed that it would be shipped on or before the 27th.
They offered me 6months of extra warranty, am I a dick for asking for something more than that seeing as they only had one shipping type which cost 55$.

Nice work.

Lots of talk about Bloodborne but nary a whisper about Pillars of Eternity in Ausgaf. Is it because not many here are playing it, or is it because you are so glued to the game you have no time to post?

No time. Busy family weekend plus Wrestlemania today/weekend. Barely even touched Bloodborne.

Plus I still haven't played Broken Age. Or Shadowrun Returns. Or Wasteland 2. :/

hamchan

^I see Wrestlemania hype season is over! Back to not caring about wrestling.

PoE joins the long list of CRPGs I mean to play but haven't got around to yet, and probably won't get around to in this decade.

senahorse

How convenient is it to switch regions?

I may just end up using Hola for watching Ameristuff on my PC or something. It seems like changing the region for your whole house could cause irritation for others.

Very easy, change dns servers on your device or your router and log on to site to change regions by changing an option in the dropdown box, done.

No time. Busy family weekend plus Wrestlemania today/weekend. Barely even touched Bloodborne.

Plus I still haven't played Broken Age. Or Shadowrun Returns. Or Wasteland 2. :/

Well you can put it at the top of that list. ;)

Yeah I'm likely to do PoE before Shadowrun/Wasteland. Probably double dip on the Vita version of Broken Age instead too lol.

^I see Wrestlemania hype season is over! Back to not caring about wrestling.

I'll watch Raw tomorrow and then drop back to just PPV's. I expect tomorrow will setup a few storylines but we won't see
the nuclear heater that would have been insanely hilarious since Roman got pinned by Seth.

I'm happy to pay $10 a month for NXT every week tbh.

Very easy, change dns servers on your device or your router and log on to site to change regions by changing an option in the dropdown box,

So can I do it on an individual device level? Other than pcs I mean. Not sure how fine the control is on my bone for example.

senahorse

So can I do it on an individual device level? Other than pcs I mean. Not sure how fine the control is on my bone for example.

As long as the device allows you to change the dns servers, than yes you can. Like on my PS3 I could, my android phone I can for wireless but I need to change to IP from DHCP to static. It's easier just to do it with your router and have all DNS requests go to getflix. If you're a little enterprising and you don't trust getflix with your requests you could run your own DNS server and only forward requests for netflix etc to getflix and have the rest go to google or your ISP.

Edit: or option 3. Spin up a free server on AWS, run a reverse proxy and DNS and have the service for free, you could also do this from home using a free VPN to get a US IP. That's all a fair bit of mucking around and for $2/month, the choice is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom