• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a good laptop for whomever was looking for one recently. $835 after cashback.

Speaking of listen things, can anyone recommend a good pair of in ears phones that won't lose the fucking rubber thingies all the fucking time

Xiaomi make great buds. They took over from my Logitech ones and I have much love for em. Several different styles, I think I have these ones.

Daylight savings ending has made the evenings feel totally off this year. It feels two or three hours later than the actual time. Maybe I'm just feeling lethargic.

Dang, that hurts it a lot then.

Yeah it's unfortunate. In the 900 series, a 960m is about the minimum you need to get console-tier performance in a lot of games. You can get away with a 950m for some things. With a 940m, you'll be limited to lower end games or older ones. Obviously you can play overwatch and CS GO, but you can do that on integrated (albeit at sub-optimal perf levels).

Rahk

Where is the best place to get a Laptop these days? A friend of mine wants a laptop for mild gaming use (Sims, Lego games etc) and has a budget of $1500-2000. Would prefer not to have to go to Harvey Norman or Officeworks etc, unless of course they are competitively priced.
Maybe check out Metabox. They sell Clevo laptops. I'd go with a 1000 series card (1050 or 1050 Ti should be fine for mild gaming) if possible with that budget as they aren't mobile models and are just as powerful as the corresponding desktop cards, although if it's just mild gaming probably doesn't matter. It will just future proof it a bit. Spend a bit less if going for a 900 series.

http://www.metabox.com.au/

Where is the best place to get a Laptop these days? A friend of mine wants a laptop for mild gaming use (Sims, Lego games etc) and has a budget of $1500-2000. Would prefer not to have to go to Harvey Norman or Officeworks etc, unless of course they are competitively priced.

$2000 is ez mode

You can get a really good quality laptop that can game like the XPS15 in that price bracket.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/top.../quickship/au/en/xps_notebook?c=au&l=en&s=dfo

That's the outlet, so that's like custom jobs they never shipped, minor refurbished stock etc. But $1800 for a 4k screen, 16gb ram, 512gb SSD and 960m GPU. You won't run most games at 4k (obviously!) but at 1080p stuff still looks good on that screen. It's also a touchscreen if that matters.

If you don't want to fork out for such a schmick laptop (which is sexy af, light for its size and really well built) and instead want to focus on gaming, get a metabox or something similar. You can get a Laptop with 16gb RAM and a 1060 (Extremely powerful for a laptop!) for under $2000. Or you can get something with a 1050ti (still quite powerful and will play all modern games fairly well) for much cheaper. It will be heavier, uglier, have worse battery life and probably a shitty trackpad, but the metabox range is full of gaming beasts at affordable prices.

r1chard

happy kebab day everyone.

i hope you all enjoy a nice kebab today

Oh man, I didn't know it was kebab day!! All my Canberra colleagues went out for schnitzel today, so I had a craving for that. They can be excused, since living in Canberra they can't be expected to follow civilised rules, but I just feel ashamed I was unaware. I'll have to make up for it now. Off to Gulistan and Too Much Bread tomorrow for lunch tomorrow I guess.

$499 USD. I doubt they will want to go over that. They'd be happy to take a loss up front just to try and change the narrative more than anything.

100% guarantee Sony will announce a price drop on the Pro at E3. That's the correct response to Scorpio. "Our thing is out NOW and is $200 cheaper. Also, aren't you already locked into PS+?"

Quasar

$499 USD. I doubt they will want to go over that. They'd be happy to take a loss up front just to try and change the narrative more than anything.

100% guarantee Sony will announce a price drop on the Pro at E3. That's the correct response to Scorpio. "Our thing is out NOW and is $200 cheaper. Also, aren't you already locked into PS+?"

That's part of why I doubt it will be USD 500. Of course I doubt the PS4P will be THAT low. 349 maybe.

jambo

I dunno. I kind of think this will be an e3 surprise. And I don't think MS again wants to be a 100$ more expensive than everyone else.

But with the stuff they're putting in it and the price people want, are you expecting Microsoft to subsidise the console and sell at a big loss?

Not sure if Microsoft would be super happy to sink billions more in to the Xbox division.

I'm actually kinda surprised that Nadella hasn't tried to sell it off yet.

Quasar

But with the stuff they're putting in it and the price people want, are you expecting Microsoft to subsidise the console and sell at a big loss?

Not sure if Microsoft would be super happy to sink billions more in to the Xbox division.

I'm actually kinda surprised that Nadella hasn't tried to sell it off yet.

I am kind of surprised that they don't try and offer some kind of XBox platform for PC makers to license given they are more of a platforms and services company (surface aside).

Shaneus

Somewhat impressed with the Scorpio. But if there was a way they could guarantee 100% BC, then I'd definitely be sold.

Probably never going to happen, though. I just want PGR4 in 1080P :/

Day one for Scorpio, it's looking the goods so far. Now for some actual games please.
Without even knowing the price? Wow, that's very keen.

I like the specs, the UHD Blu-ray drive, the BC approach is nice, and the 16x AF is very good. On the other hand, I already have a PS4 Pro so I'd be paying a lot for a small improvement in multiplat titles, Microsoft consoles always seem to have really shitty movie playback, and the next gen is probably only 2 or 3 years away from Scorpio launch.

If the UHD Blu-ray playback is really good quality, and the price is $600 or less, I'll probably be tempted. If it's more than $600 then forget about it.

Without even knowing the price? Wow, that's very keen.

I like the specs, the UHD Blu-ray drive, the BC approach is nice, and the 16x AF is very good. On the other hand, I already have a PS4 Pro so I'd be paying a lot for a small improvement in multiplat titles, Microsoft consoles always seem to have really shitty movie playback, and the next gen is probably only 2 or 3 years away from Scorpio launch.

If the UHD Blu-ray playback is really good quality, and the price is $600 or less, I'll probably be tempted. If it's more than $600 then forget about it.

The initial price difference compared to the overall value and time I get means little to me to be honest. Over say 2-5 years you keep the console active does $50-100 really matter that much? I'd prefer to pay a little more and get a little more if you know what I mean.

I generally only purchase two consoles/handhelds each generation and share with my kids so the ROI is a no brainer for me. On top of that most friends of mine are Xbox guys'n'gals playing together for 5-10+ plus, another no brainer for platform choice for me.

As for the Scorpio specs/build/platform etc it is overall a really intelligent design that so far is impressing me indeed. DX12 going on hardware is a fucking big deal IMO. The overall SOC design could yield performance gains and lower costs while keeping heat in check as they've clearly been able to with those high ass clock speeds.

I can see the waiting aspect having merit if you have a PS4Pro already. I went WiiU and X1 so I'm out of that scenario.

The Samsung TV I haven't had for 4 years yet seems to be coming to the end of its life. :(

The past few days it's turned off and on again repeatedly when turning it on...and now it's getting worse, cycling non-stop.

The Samsung TV I haven't had for 4 years yet seems to be coming to the end of its life. :(

The past few days it's turned off and on again repeatedly when turning it on...and now it's getting worse, cycling non-stop.

It might. MIGHT I say, be a swollen capacitor on the power supply. I had this on a 2008 model (it would click a lot as if trying to turn on and off. That was a warranty fix then and it was fixed in about 10 minutes. It might be worth googling the model and the problem to see how widespread it is (if it is, you might get a decent idea at how much it would cost to get fixed).

I'm in for Scorpio. Want to get a 4k set mid year and jonesing for UHD movies (hopefully Disney will hop on board soon). Already have a Switch and a PS4 Pro (and an X1).

It might. MIGHT I say, be a swollen capacitor on the power supply. I had this on a 2008 model (it would click a lot as if trying to turn on and off. That was a warranty fix then and it was fixed in about 10 minutes. It might be worth googling the model and the problem to see how widespread it is (if it is, you might get a decent idea at how much it would cost to get fixed).
Thanks, I'll look into this on the weekend and hopefully it saves some money. The TV repair place on the phone said a swollen capacitor is more likely on an earlier model than mine so they can't say how much it would cost without investigating it...

My PS4 is suspended mid-Persona and it feels a little weird to be in that state without a working TV. But at least I have a Switch!

Dang, that hurts it a lot then.

the CPU is also one of those Cut down CPU - ie the U stands for underpowered ( somthingl like that)

also - deal time for those still looking for yakuzza 0 :)
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/301224

P.S guys made a post in a diffrent thread regarding android and diffrent phones that appears to be going on ignored ( well give it a bit more time and it will)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233424420&postcount=197

guess i should just make a New thread ?

Scorpio seems interesting. I don't have an Xbox One, but still have plenty of 360 games from last gen sitting in a box. I'd mostly be getting for A) graphics B) Halo C) possible Geometry Wars 2 backwards compatibility D) UHD Blu Ray (I'll probably buy 2 discs in it's lifetime lol).

The alternative is building a new PC. My current machine is 4.5 years old with no part replacements at the moment.

I reckon I'll probably go for the PC. I'm trying really bloody hard to move away from buying every console because I need to do grown up crap like save for a house. I also probably already have enough games in my backlog to literally play for the rest of my life. First world problems.

Over say 2-5 years you keep the console active does $50-100 really matter that much?
If it's a 5 year investment, then it wouldn't. But I'm expecting the PS5 in 2 years, so $600-700 for 2 years doesn't seem like a good investment.

For me, the UHD Blu-ray playback quality is the key. If playback quality turns out to be as good or better than a standalone player, then the value proposition becomes much better because I was planning to get a UHD Blu-ray player.

Quasar

For me, the UHD Blu-ray playback quality is the key. If playback quality turns out to be as good or better than a standalone player, then the value proposition becomes much better because I was planning to get a UHD Blu-ray player.

I am curious about that, especially now that Atmos and DTS X support has been added to XBO. Of course there will obviously be better standalones but I'm unwilling to throw 1000$ at an Oppo standalone or something. So theres some level of good enough, just as there was with BluRay on the PS3.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Oh how much joy Umart is. Ordered an almost complete rebuild for a friend's five year old computer after the PSU/motherboard died, selected parts that were all in stock so I could grab it today and get to building.

Checked this morning and the 1070 I'd ordered wasn't in stock anymore. Fair enough, no big deal I'll ring them up and change over to an in-stock one for a little bit cheaper. Lady on the phone was helpful and pleasant, got it all sorted and ready to go. Pick up friend and we head down to Milton, turns out the one that she had switched to was in fact not even in stock. What.

Changed to a slightly pricier Gigabyte G1 and got it all sorted but man I remember why I hate dealing with Umart. Sucks that they have a stranglehold on prices or else I'd go elsewhere.

Oh and fuck their new website. How in the hell do you build something like that piece of crap that is missing even the most basic polish like removing blank categories for a business. Just, holy damn.

Oh how much joy Umart is. Ordered an almost complete rebuild for a friend's five year old computer after the PSU/motherboard died, selected parts that were all in stock so I could grab it today and get to building.

Checked this morning and the 1070 I'd ordered wasn't in stock anymore. Fair enough, no big deal I'll ring them up and change over to an in-stock one for a little bit cheaper. Lady on the phone was helpful and pleasant, got it all sorted and ready to go. Pick up friend and we head down to Milton, turns out the one that she had switched to was in fact not even in stock. What.

Changed to a slightly pricier Gigabyte G1 and got it all sorted but man I remember why I hate dealing with Umart. Sucks that they have a stranglehold on prices or else I'd go elsewhere.

Oh and fuck their new website. How in the hell do you build something like that piece of crap that is missing even the most basic polish like removing blank categories for a business. Just, holy damn.

Msy?

For the most part, websites for computer parts retailers have the appearance that they were built by people that have never used a computer in their lifetime.

Or built their first site on geocities in 1998, sat back and said "Phew. Now that I've mastered that skill, I'll never have to pay someone else to development a website for as long as I live!!"

I am curious about that, especially now that Atmos and DTS X support has been added to XBO. Of course there will obviously be better standalones but I'm unwilling to throw 1000$ at an Oppo standalone or something. So theres some level of good enough, just as there was with BluRay on the PS3.
The PS3 was considered one of the best Blu-ray players on the market when it released, and people singing its praises on AVS Forum were a big part of me getting one.

I'm not expecting that of the Scorpio, but I'm told that the XB1 and XB1S suck for quality of movie playback. If MS can just get a solid result with the Scorpio on that front then I'll have to seriously consider getting one.

hidys

Here's a fun question. What is the most you've paid for a beer at a bottle shop?

I just paid $40 for a 4 pack of Pirate Life Double IPA. It is so fucking good but it definitely came at a high price.

Beat Breath of the Wild today. Amazing game. Still had stacks of content If I wanted but I wanted to move on to something else and not have this game haunt me like it has for the last 5 weeks ;)

So fucking good. I might have to get Switch version of Snake Pass to have something play on my next flight.

Here's a fun question. What is the most you've paid for a beer at a bottle shop?

I just paid $40 for a 4 pack of Pirate Life Double IPA. It is so fucking good but it definitely came at a high price.
I once paid exactly that for a single bottle of imported beer from America at one of those hipster bars. I had time for one drink and I wanted it to count, so I splurged a little. They served it to me in a brandy bowl.

Jake.

is there anyway i can play P4 on my PS3 without fucking around with US PSN cards etc? not an OG so it can't play PS2 games.

MoonGred

Ever since I did a clean install of Win10 Steam has been a pain in my side, for some reason it's locking games to 20fps. The only way for me to fix this is to either sign out of windows and sign back in or restarting my pc, even then it only works 60% of the time.
The other thing I don't get is that if run another application and let the game running in the background it will actually remove the 20fps cap.
Stellaris launcher for instance is locked at 20fps, if I open Chrome and run it side by side I can actually see the 20fps cap being removed and it going up to the normal 60. There is no difference in gpu or cpu usage either.
I'm guessing this could be a v-sync issue? I check the Nvidia launcher but couldn't see any settings.
Anyone with some more pc knowledge able to point me in the right direction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom