• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Are they actual games or download codes?
It's not an official bundle, so they'd probably be actual games. Pretty damn good deal if you put a rough value of $50 per game.

Reduced price. Someone posted their docket from Target on the last bundle that showed it coming off the price.
Wait, how do they allocate the amount paid for the game to be taken off? What's the point of the bundle when you can do that!

I've always assumed you have to take it all or return it all.

senahorse

Ditto. There's plenty of performance advantages the Pro offers beyond 4K, so it's a nice system to have.

And another vote for the Mazda 3. Loving my 2015 one. Wife just got a CX-3 two weeks ago which is basically a Mazda 3 SUV and she loves it.

If only they had Apple Carplay it would be perfect. Edit: Looks like it's coming, maybe, sometime, possibly?

They have been promising carplay for a ages, it really needs it as the stock connect system is one of the worst implementations of a car computer I have seen. Especially when it comes to the way it handles bluetooth.

hirokazu

They have been promising carplay for a ages, it really needs it as the stock connect system is one of the worst implementations of a car computer I have seen. Especially when it comes to the way it handles bluetooth.
Oh boy, I've been in some recent Honda cars, namely the Jazz and HR-V and the infotainment system is atrocious.

It's basically barebones Bluetooth phone and audio. No nav system. I think there's a HondaLink app that you're supposed to download for your phone that connects to the infotainment system for additional apps and functionality, including nav... which you have to pay a subscription for. The app seems to be terrible and terribly maintained, with not all that much support as you'd expect.

Seriously for the love of all car owners, these manufacturers need to accept their own solutions suck and just implement CarPlay and Android Auto for the people who want it.

So I haven't worked an office job in the last four years and I'm in need of some appropriate clothing. I'm sitting in Myer completely lost, thinking I could spend infinite dollars and still not have what I need.

I've decided that I need some basics to fill out my wardrobe and replace my old stuff, which was, let's face it, already long in the tooth. Of what's serviceable, I have the following:

Shoes
- Black

Pants
- Black
- Charcoal

Shirts:
- Dark blue
- Blue-White stripe
- Light grey

What I think I need to update my wardrobe:

Shoes:
- Brown

Pants:
- Tan
- Blue

Shirts:
- Sky Blue
- Black
- White

It takes a certain kind of man to pull off salmon. I'm not that kind of man. Anyone able to help? Any advice as to how to get it done without sending myself bankrupt?

jambo

So one of the solicitors who left turned out to be lying about his qualifications

Huh

Did he look like this?

fB6ZMp8l.jpg

Cerity

So I haven't worked an office job in the last four years and I'm in need of some appropriate clothing. I'm sitting in Myer completely lost, thinking I could spend infinite dollars and still not have what I need.

I've decided that I need some basics to fill out my wardrobe and replace my old stuff, which was, let's face it, already long in the tooth. Of what's serviceable, I have the following:

Shoes
- Black

Pants
- Black
- Charcoal

Shirts:
- Dark blue
- Blue-White stripe
- Light grey

Shoes:
- Brown

Pants:
- Tan
- Blue

Shirts:
- Sky Blue
- Black
- White

It takes a certain kind of man to pull off salmon. I'm not that kind of man. Anyone able to help? Any advice as to how to get it done without sending myself bankrupt?

I hit up uniqlo for all of my basics. Their shirts go on sale pretty often and they offer free tailoring for their pants if they're over $30. I like their oxford cotton button down shirts in particular.

as far as shoes go, it's a fairly deep rabbit hole, I stick to boots, I plan to splurge on RM Williams in the near future but it'd really depend on the office for what you can get away with though.

Shoes
- Black

Pants
- Black
- Charcoal

Shirts:
- Dark blue
- Blue-White stripe
- Light grey

Shoes:
- Brown

Pants:
- Tan
- Blue

Shirts:
- Sky Blue
- Black
- White

For shirts, I tend to get most of mine these days Online from Charles Tyrwhitt. If you buy in lots of four then you only pay about $50 per shirt, and that includes shipping from the UK (which is usually pretty quick). Go the non-iron shirts if you can, you still need to iron them but they're so much better than having to iron other cotton shirts.

For trousers/suits, maybe try a factory outlet store if you're trying to save money. Connor, Roger David, Van Heusen all have fairly cheap options at their factory outlets. I like the Roger David ones the most in terms of bang for buck if you're getting suits, but it'll come down to style and fit I guess.

I hit up uniqlo for all of my basics. Their shirts go on sale pretty often and they offer free tailoring for their pants if they're over $30. I like their oxford cotton button down shirts in particular.

as far as shoes go, it's a fairly deep rabbit hole, I stick to boots, I plan to splurge on RM Williams in the near future but it'd really depend on the office for what you can get away with though.
I always have to get the pants tailored. Apparently, I have stumpy little legs.

For shirts, I tend to get most of mine these days Online from Charles Tyrwhitt. If you buy in lots of four then you only pay about $50 per shirt, and that includes shipping from the UK (which is usually pretty quick). Go the non-iron shirts if you can, you still need to iron them but they're so much better than having to iron other cotton shirts.

For trousers/suits, maybe try a factory outlet store if you're trying to save money. Connor, Roger David, Van Heusen all have fairly cheap options at their factory outlets. I like the Roger David ones the most in terms of bang for buck if you're getting suits, but it'll come down to style and fit I guess.
Anywhere I can try on the Charles Tyrehitt shirts or is it a matter of returning the stuff if it doesn't fit? The pound being in the toilet right now might work for me.

I'm a fancy manager at work

Shirts - work supplied
Pants - Here
Shoes - Here
Jacket I paid $50 for 6 years ago, really need to hit up AliExpress for a new one :(

All day meetings in Melbourne yesterday. Dude sitting next to me paid FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS for his shirt. His last hair cut was over $100. I was holding my shock down hardcore, played it cool. He didn't even get a beer with his cut :/

Shirts - work supplied
Pants - Here
Shoes - Here
Jacket I paid $50 for 6 years ago, really need to hit up AliExpress for a new one :(

All day meetings in Melbourne yesterday. Dude sitting next to me paid FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS for his shirt. His last hair cut was over $100. I was holding my shock down hardcore, played it cool. He didn't even get a beer with his cut :/

if that dude has to tell you much everything he has cost, chances are that, despite a good income, he's one redundancy away from bankruptcy.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Shirts - work supplied
Pants - Here
Shoes - Here

My shoes were $550! But they are loaks and hopefully they will last me until i'm 40 or 50 or something like that. I should get another pair so I can extend the life even more.

As for work shirts and pants, I got my shirts from TM Lewin and got the ones with cufflink holes by mistake, but now i own shirts with cufflinks! Got my pants from topshop.

I do need to go back and get new shirts though, current ones are a little larger than they should be these days.

Anyone here use Optus Cable internet? What a garbage service. EVERY night it lags for hours. Speedtest and my XB1 have clocked my download speed at less that 1 MB. Fuck you, Optus!

Echoplx

Anyone here use Optus Cable internet? What a garbage service. EVERY night it lags for hours. Speedtest and my XB1 have clocked my download speed at less that 1 MB. Fuck you, Optus!

That's the downside of cable, if you're in an area with lots of congestion you're basically screwed during peak hours.

Echoplx

That happens with Cable too? I thought it was just ADSL that suffered from communal hub bottleneck stuff.

Cable is worse than ADSL for congestion related issues, but it completely depends on your area.

Apparently Telstra cable is better than Optus so it might be worth switching if you can.

http://blog.skywaywest.com/2012/03/cable-vs-adsl-what-should-you-choose/

With Cable, there’s a common channel that many customers share. Sync rates are fixed, and signals do not degrade with distance. But the channel bandwidth is much less than the potential use of all subscribers so there’s often times where congestion prevents users from enjoying the full bandwidth they purchased. The speed seen by the user is sometimes as fast as promised, sometimes less so. It’s difficult to guarantee or reserve bandwidth for a time-sensitive application like VoIP or video conferencing, but it’s a great system for transferring large volumes of data.

With ADSL, each subscriber has their own dedicated channel. The channel is usually slower than the cable channels, and the actual speed is subject to the lay and length of of the phone line that carries it. But once you know the speed that the phone line can provide, you can be confident that that speed is consistent and stable, regardless of what your neighbours are doing. This is a good environment for VoIP or video conferencing, or for applying Quality of Service (QoS) priority queuing for these applications if you are also using the line for data.

Costco business shirts are amazing and around $25 a pop.
I'm about an hour from the nearest Costco. How much does a membership cost?

Shirts - work supplied
Pants - Here
Shoes - Here

At five hundos a shirt, he may as well just splurge and get them custom made. I want the shirts to be nice (wearable to formal occasions should I have the need), but I was thinking like $50 a shirt on special. $80 if it's really nice and makes me look like a boss.

Let's start low.

I'd like it to fit
Where do you live? Maybe go to a proper suit place and get measured up, then, once you have your measurements, find somewhere cheaper. Or you could do what I did and use Myer or David Jones as a showroom.

I will drop some wisdom I learned from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - buy jackets that fit, alter pants that don't.

MoonGred

Where's a good suit place
If you're on a budget but still want decent quality/fit I'd suggest you go with Suitsupply, there is no brick and mortar store in AU but they do offer free returns and world wide shipping. Not sure if Japan has an actual store. Their suits start at $400
Fit, a lot of it will come down to your build, bit too skinny or bit bigger and you're most likely going to have to get it altered, in return you'll have a suit that fits you like a glove and you'll never want to take it off, the difference in look will be substantial. Even if you get lucky and it fits perfectly from the get go please make sure you don't have another 10cm of fabric at the bottom, pant legs should just hit the top part of your shoe.
http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/home

As a side note, fully tailored suits aren't as expensive as most people think and are a worthwhile investment.

My shoes were $550! But they are loaks and hopefully they will last me until i'm 40 or 50 or something like that. I should get another pair so I can extend the life even more.
A second pair would definetly treat you well, try to keep at least a day between wearing a single pair and clean/polish them on a fortnightly basis.
For a second pair you could look into a pair of Carmina's, it's a spanish brand thats been around for a while and is around the same price as Loake, but better quality in every way. I own a pair of Churches as well and even find that the Carmina's outshine them for $300 less (as long as you buy from their website and not from shops like Henry Bucks with their $400AUD mark up)
https://www.carminashoemaker.com/

Shirts
Nothing beats getting tailored shirts, Australia currently has a bunch of great young start ups offering good quality shirts completely tailored to your needs, you're looking at about $130 per shirt which isn't the cheapest but will feel and fit better than any name branded shirt bought at DJ or Myer.
https://www.hermenmenswear.com/ - this is an example of a Melbourne based one.

Jintor

for getting measurements, what's a good idea? Any need to get it done special at a tailor, can I just get someone to hold some tape, what do I need to do?

the last time I went to a proper suit place was for my year 12 formal. off-the-rack at myer or djs doesn't quiiiiite fit right (but I bought one or two blazers anyway because i just wanted to get it over and done with)

legend166

Gazman stretch chinos are the best if your work look can be a little more casual (I.e. not actually suit pants).

Perfect for my athletic thighs.

MoonGred

for getting measurements, what's a good idea? Any need to get it done special at a tailor, can I just get someone to hold some tape, what do I need to do?

the last time I went to a proper suit place was for my year 12 formal. off-the-rack at myer or djs doesn't quiiiiite fit right (but I bought one or two blazers anyway because i just wanted to get it over and done with)

No need to got to a special tailor, most online shops have guides on how and what to measure.
Suit supply for instance has a different one for each type of suit, simply click on Size guide and it will show you how to go about it.
http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/lazio-light-grey-check/P5167.html#sizeChart

At five hundos a shirt, he may as well just splurge and get them custom made. I want the shirts to be nice (wearable to formal occasions should I have the need), but I was thinking like $50 a shirt on special. $80 if it's really nice and makes me look like a boss.

Yeah picking ones that will work outside your job is great advice.

is there a dedicatied blu ray thread on here or just a thread based on collecting media outside of gaming ?

not even sure if theres a central anime topic for that ether

or even somthing with stores relating to said media Since EU gaf tends to ignore questions ....

is there a dedicatied blu ray thread on here or just a thread based on collecting media outside of gaming ?

not even sure if theres a central anime topic for that ether

or even somthing with stores relating to said media Since EU gaf tends to ignore questions ....
I know there's a Blu Ray thread and an anime OT in Off Topic Community. I can't say I ever visited either one or tell you how active they might be

I know there's a Blu Ray thread and an anime OT in Off Topic Community. I can't say I ever visited either one or tell you how active they might be

would you happen to have links assuming i have posted in em ?

i saw a whats airing type anime thread but alot of the talk in there tends to be streams and streams of random chatter at times .....

a collector thread couldnt find the big one

maybe il have to take an hour at some point to Wade thro all this

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Had a look at cars today and this is the first one I saw and still kinda sticks with me ..

http://www.cranbournetoyota.com.au/...ent_1.8L_Petrol_CVT_5_Door_Hatch&stock=195381

Anyone have any objections to it? It does higher km's than other cars i've seen and is ~5 years old and doesn't have a fancy new dashboard, it seemed really nice in person and i somewhat gravitated to it.

Looked at a random assortment of Mazda 3s (most seem to be around 2009/2010 though), A few hyundai's which were cheapish and newer than the Toyota.

legend166

Had a look at cars today and this is the first one I saw and still kinda sticks with me ..

http://www.cranbournetoyota.com.au/...ent_1.8L_Petrol_CVT_5_Door_Hatch&stock=195381

Anyone have any objections to it? It does higher km's than other cars i've seen and is ~5 years old and doesn't have a fancy new dashboard, it seemed really nice in person and i somewhat gravitated to it.

Looked at a random assortment of Mazda 3s (most seem to be around 2009/2010 though), A few hyundai's which were cheapish and newer than the Toyota.

That seems like a pretty high amount of KM for just over 4 years. Did it have a complete service history?

it is high kms and 14k seems a lot but It's been a long time. since I looked at buying a car in Aus. That said, Toyotas seem to wear high Kms rather well.

Things to listen for: clicking from the front wheels when turning corners at low speeds. see whether the noise from a CVT agrees with you (basically its a giant rubber band with no gears, often the engine speeds feels out of sync with the road speed- like its working harder than it needs to- some newer CVTs have fake gears to mimic the feel of a standard gearbox), does the gearbox engage easily, does it go into reverse easily without thumping, how much thread on the tyres, is there more wear on the outside of the tyres (indicating a lot of hard cornering), check the paint is uniform in colour (if it's had a prang and been resprayed, its sometimes noticeable.

It looks a rather basic model (wheelcovers rather than alloys) so It might have been a fleet car (company, government or even hire car), means lots of different drivers, not necessarily careful with it.
either way, drive lots of cars before committing and be very wary of the extended warranty shit they will try and push (also protective coatings, rustproofing, that sort of thing.)

Dmax3901

So my friend gave me his OnePlusOne but a while ago I dropped it and only half the touchscreen works now. Should I just give in and buy a new phone?

mulac

Ok as promised FINALLY...looking to sell this high quality tech stuff - all prices negotiable at "ausgaf rate" & obviously would rather not post due to the size and nature...I'm in Sydney...

Corsair SP2500 Speakers (ebay Link): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112371228615?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Dell UP2716D Monitor (ebay Link): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112371232498?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Fully built PC - price negotiable (would rather shift the whole thing together, let me know if interested on IM and I can get specifics/chat) - pictures show 3 hard disks but i'm going to keep the one at the back (for PS4) and the Samsung SSD. Also absolutely nothing wrong with this setup - i'm just not using it anymore:

• 4x Noctua 120mm Industrial Fans
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB Video Card
  • 16GB RAM
  • Corsair RM750i 750W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply
  • ASUS Maximus VII Formula Motherboard
  • Intel i7 4700k CPU
  • Inwin 303 Tempered Glass Case
  • Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" SATA III SSD CT120BX100SSD1
  • Custom Red Cables
  • Noctua NH-U12S Multi Socket CPU Cooler

http://imgur.com/JfPvXyR
http://imgur.com/KUNgdEZ