• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
FHB is middle class welfare. It doesn't make houses more affordable. It lifts the price of entry by the same amount, only benefiting sellers who get an extra $10k or so. That's exactly middle class welfare.

Only because arsehole agents and owners saw and took advantage of the ability to raise their prices by 7k

It wouldn't be middle class welfare if it was policed properly. Like i said, means test it.

earn more than 100k a year? sorry bud you dont get it. Fuck it, even make it 80k a year

but there are people out there who need it.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
FHB is middle class welfare. It doesn't make houses more affordable. It lifts the price of entry by the same amount, only benefiting sellers who get an extra $10k or so. That's exactly middle class welfare.
Yeah, Steve Keen calls it the First Home Vendors Boost.

Choc said:
Fred. Seriously. It is beyond reasonable to expect someone to

1) pay off someones mortgage forever more

2) not build assets via the 'great australian dream'

Housing is a necessity, and every economist agrees it is a necessity.
Come on man, those are classic real estate industry marketing lines. So what if someone decided to slug themselves with a 30 year loan and pay hundreds of thousands in interest over that period, if you save money by renting, it's good. Also, you've mitigated the risk of having that stupid loan onto someone else. In that respect, renting is smarter. The "great Australian dream" is a load of shit.

Housing is a necessity, home ownership is not.

Choc said:
but there are people out there who need it.
What for? You can't use it for a deposit. Do people "need" the big screen TVs that they're most likely using it for.

Yagharek

Choc said:
Only because arsehole agents and owners saw and took advantage of the ability to raise their prices by 7k

It wouldn't be middle class welfare if it was policed properly.

But that's ifs and buts. As it is, it is absolutely middle/first class welfare. Yet another scam defrauding the tax payers to prop up the housing bubble, instead of being used on any number of useful welfare for people who genuinely need it.

Mental health welfare? Disability pensions? Carers assistance? Fuck that, lets give home owners more money when they sell in an already over inflated market!

Fucking country is becoming a welfare state, all except for those who need genuine help. Selfish, spiteful society.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Yeah, Steve Keen calls it the First Home Vendors Boost.

Come on man, those are classic real estate industry marketing lines. So what if someone decided to slug themselves with a 30 year loan and pay hundreds of thousands in interest over that period, if you save money by renting, it's good. Also, you've mitigated the risk of having that stupid loan onto someone else. In that respect, renting is smarter. The "great Australian dream" is a load of shit.

Housing is a necessity, home ownership is not.

i agree with the last line. Given the rental market in Australia though we have a problem with availability, shortages and how often people are raising the rent on their places due to agents pressure.

To get out of that shit, you need to buy.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
But that's ifs and buts. As it is, it is absolutely middle/first class welfare. Yet another scam defrauding the tax payers to prop up the housing bubble, instead of being used on any number of useful welfare for people who genuinely need it.

Mental health welfare? Disability pensions? Carers assistance? Fuck that, lets give home owners more money when they sell in an already over inflated market!

Fucking country is becoming a welfare state, all except for those who need genuine help. Selfish, spiteful society.

Don't disagree. In its current form it is the definition of MCW, but if it WAS DONE PROPERLY. it wouldn't be.

Family Tax Benefit A and B are also MCW, as is the education tax rebate in some cases.

Means test FHB, make it 80k limit and be done with it.

Fredescu

Choc said:
Given the rental market in Australia though we have a problem with availability, shortages and how often people are raising the rent on their places due to agents pressure.
It's mostly Sydney that has the supply problem, which is why when prices slid a fair bit earlier in the year in Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth, Sydney stayed mostly stable. People don't raise rents because their agents pressure them too, that's stupid. They will raise rents to match the market, which tends to be when rates are going up as loan serviceability gets harder. It's when rates go up quickly that you will find property to buy that will work out cheaper than renting, if you have the deposit handy.

Choc said:
Means test FHB, make it 80k limit and be done with it.
It's useless. It should be scrapped.

Yagharek

No. Scrap it altogether. Use the savings for genuine welfare, crisis accommodation and support, mental health and so on. $7K in the context of a house price is trivial. 1-5% at best. You should be saving for a deposit, borrowing according to a sensible budget based on your job. Just like the last century.

Too much entitlements. Too many handouts for people who don't need it. We have the wealth and means as a nation to seriously help those in fucked up situations. Instead we piss away welfare money on housing bubbles and overpriced utility industries that spend profits on shareholders instead of maintenance. That's why things are more expensive: the idiots took over and are busy raiding the wealth for entitled middle class whingers.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
No. Scrap it altogether. Use the savings for genuine welfare, crisis accommodation and support, mental health and so on. $7K in the context of a house price is trivial. 1-5% at best. You should be saving for a deposit, borrowing according to a sensible budget based on your job. Just like the last century.

Too much entitlements. Too many handouts for people who don't need it. We have the wealth and means as a nation to seriously help those in fucked up situations. Instead we piss away welfare money on housing bubbles and overpriced utility industries that spend profits on shareholders instead of maintenance. That's why things are more expensive: the idiots took over and are busy raiding the wealth for entitled middle class whingers.

how can you be against the mining tax when you have this opinion about welfare and gvt money

mining tax would be a lot more money for that ;)

RandomVince said:
What's left then? Vegemite, Crocodile Dundee and Ricki Lee?

I've got a VAGINAMITE sticker on the back of my car. Get lots of thumbs up from young people, and people click pictures all the time. Sometimes elderly people see the sign and get pissed, honking and whatnot. :/

vaginamite.jpg

elfinke said:
Who and what the fuck is Lannister and Tyrion?

Shame on you.

Fredescu

You should be loving Barry O'Farrell Choc. He increased mining royalities, and decreased middle class welfare, potentially raising housing supply!

Yagharek

Choc said:
how can you be against the mining tax when you have this opinion about welfare and gvt money

mining tax would be a lot more money for that ;)

I'm not against the mining tax. So long as it taxes the upper end of the market, why not tax it?

Fredescu said:
It's mostly Sydney that has the supply problem, which is why when prices slid a fair bit earlier in the year in Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth, Sydney stayed mostly stable. People don't raise rents because their agents pressure them too, that's stupid. They will raise rents to match the market, which tends to be when rates are going up as loan serviceability gets harder. It's when rates go up quickly that you will find property to buy that will work out cheaper than renting, if you have the deposit handy.
Even here in Warrnambool renting is a bit expensive. Pay more than in Geelong. Mainly because of all the trade work on the coast where they get paid $1200 a week so they don't care about paying $400 a week in rent for 9 months. Took us a while to find a decent place for $300 a week as most were horrible. This house sold the other day for $288,000 and would generally be rented out for somewhere between $380-400 a week, maybe more. It would be nice to save up and buy a house rather than worry about damaging the house or waiting on the damn owner to hurry up and get stuff fixed (like an enclosed yard, or a back door that locks).

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
I'm not against the mining tax. So long as it taxes the upper end of the market, why not tax it?
the other day when i posted BHP record profit and said it should be taxed more, you got all uppity from memory

Yagharek

Either you have me confused with someone else or you misread me. I can't remember the post, but as far as I'm concerned, tax the rock gouging fuckers. Just don't tax the startups so heavily.

Deeku

DeathJr said:
I've got a VAGINAMITE sticker on the back of my car. Get lots of thumbs up from young people, and people click pictures all the time. Sometimes elderly people see the sign and get pissed, honking and whatnot. :/

http://www.umoor.eu/blog/images/vaginamite.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
That is horrible. I'm with the elderly people!

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
No way, everybody hates the French! How did we lose out to the French and the Mexicans?

Also I don't come on to GAF to be insulted like this Choc. I'm off to lose myself in sunny Hengsha.

lol not you either :) i

Shaneus

OneMoreQuestion said:
NEW GENKI ROCKETS ALBUM IS SO BOUGHT!!

IT'S LIKE LAVENDER IN MY EARRRRRR
New new? I don't even have their old one that was out when Eden was released. I don't consider myself a fan of J-Pop but holy fuck do I love me some Heavenly Star.

Choc said:
is it just me or has the collective IQ of Ausgaf dropped a notch recently

and its not just me :p
Had a look at the top four posters in this thread?
See what I did? I picked top four because I'm the fifth! Ergo, not my fault.
Sorry reptilescorpio, you're one of the good ones but you're collateral damage in this post.

PS. What happened to when GAF used to explode for *good* reasons? I don't like GAFplosions for negative things. We need another good news bomba thread.

Kerrby

Banned
Shaneus said:
See what I did? I picked top four because I'm the fifth! Ergo, not my fault.
Sorry reptilescorpio, you're one of the good ones but you're collateral damage in this post.

PS. What happened to when GAF used to explode for *good* reasons? I don't like GAFplosions for negative things. We need another good news bomba thread.

Holy shit, reptilescorpio has 118 posts in this thread, in 5 days :O. Impressive.

Didn't you hear Shaneus, it's cool to hate on everyone these days.

Shaneus said:
New new? I don't even have their old one that was out when Eden was released. I don't consider myself a fan of J-Pop but holy fuck do I love me some Heavenly Star.

Yep, new new. 17 songs in this album. IIRC it's been a full 3 years since their last album :p

Kerrby said:
Holy shit, reptilescorpio has 118 posts in this thread, in 5 days :O. Impressive.
I blame our shitty IT at our company! 2 out of 3 days this week I haven't been able to do my job so have been forced to browse GAF on my phone to break the boredom. At my old job I rarely got to touch a computer let alone browse GAF on it.
Out of interest I checked the old thread and it seemed like I was about 40 posts behind Jambo in the evening but by the time the new thread was up I was equal with him after all the photoshop posts. <_>

Darklord

Banned
God, this cdkeysdiscount site is dangerous. Seeing as all the games are $15-30 every game that was on my radar instantly hit my buy it now price. That's too many games!

reptilescorpio said:
I blame our shitty IT at our company! 2 out of 3 days this week I haven't been able to do my job so have been forced to browse GAF on my phone to break the boredom. At my old job I rarely got to touch a computer let alone browse GAF on it.
Out of interest I checked the old thread and it seemed like I was about 40 posts behind Jambo in the evening but by the time the new thread was up I was equal with him after all the photoshop posts. <_>

Let's be honest, they fired you didn't they?

:p

Salazar

Ah, what to do when your PC takes aaaaaaaages after you've tried to shut it down, stuck on "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 1..."

Salazar said:
Ah, what to do when your PC takes aaaaaaaages after you've tried to shut it down, stuck on "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 1..."
Take the lord Bill Gates name in vain. Or maybe it is a sign you need an ssd!

Salazar said:

If it's been sitting there for longer than half an hour, just turn it off manually.

Gazunta said:
I would still totally do Amanda Keller if given half a chance.

And probably Noni Hazelhurst while I'm at it
The Viva manual has like 30 pages! All in english! And full colour! Very impressed. Usually manuals are a one page card lately.

Top Bottom