• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

No Love

Banned
I thought that was half of the evos sold in the US?

You're right. And 95% of the crashed ones 😂.

I find that most of the tryhards/buttholes in the Evo scene have an X though, because 8's and 9's are trending upwards out of the reach of chumps, and they're getting too old to finance/justify to chump parents.

You're right. And 95% of the crashed ones 😂.

I find that most of the tryhards/buttholes in the Evo scene have an X though, because 8's and 9's are trending upwards out of the reach of chumps, and they're getting too old to finance/justify to chump parents.

That was the hard part in selling my 9. No one had enough cash to pay what I wanted, and no bank wanted to give an auto loan on a 10 year old car.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
What just happened. There's an argument, it involved No Love and an Evo owner who ISN'T Evo X.

No Love

Banned
That was the hard part in selling my 9. No one had will enough cash to pay what I wanted, and no bank wanted to give an auto loan on a 10 year old car.

I bet CT9A's will go the way of the NSX soon enough.

None of those posts were a good look, No Love. :/

Sorry that I don't care for some hater ass kid who wants to be my GAF friend. I don't have to justify my opinions about cars I hear everyday and compare and contrast in person on a daily basis, at low RPM and high RPM.

Sorry that I don't listen to bullshit exhaust videos on YouTube with a garbage phone microphone and think it represents the final product and then go online to spout it as gospel. Sorry that my opinions are so antagonizing and offensive to some people.

I'll be sure, from now on, to be as gentle as I can about the sounds cars make. Very gentle.

Sorry that I don't care for some hater ass kid who wants to be my GAF friend. I don't have to justify my opinions about cars I hear everyday and compare and contrast in person on a daily basis, at low RPM and high RPM.

Sorry that I don't listen to bullshit exhaust videos on YouTube with a garbage phone microphone and think it represents the final product and then go online to spout it as gospel. Sorry that my opinions are so antagonizing and offensive to some people.

Okay.

I'll be sure, from now on, to be as gentle as I can about the sounds cars make. Very gentle.

I agree and disagree with some of your previous thoughts on certain car exhausts, but that's fine.

Don't worry about it. I'm pretty certain AutoGAF has strong opinions on exhaust notes like the rest of NeoGAF's preferences for different aspects of videogames.

This is coming from someone who has a car that the world is criticizing for downsizing the number of cylinders and saying it sounds like crap (i.e. turbo charged 4 cylinder boxer engine vs. flat six cylinder engine).

No Love

Banned
I agree and disagree with some of your previous thoughts on certain car exhausts, but that's fine.

Don't worry about it. I'm pretty certain AutoGAF has strong opinions on exhaust notes like the rest of NeoGAF's preferences for different aspects of videogames.

This is coming from someone who has a car that the world is criticizing for downsizing the number of cylinders and saying it sounds like crap (i.e. turbo charged 4 cylinder boxer engine vs. flat six cylinder engine).

I think overall we will see a huge slide downwards in how cars sound. I remember arguing with Dave years ago about the 911 Turbo and how it sounds compared to N/A Porsche motors. Now, in retrospect, he was right. N/A high revvers are heavenly.

SummitAve

Banned
I have a hard time getting into the vanity aspects of exhaust noise. When I'm driving I'm getting a wide mixture of sounds from engine to exhaust, to other cars, tires, transmission, and the radio. I don't really care what some person on the street or in another car thinks because I'm not hearing what they are.

I have a hard time getting into the vanity aspects of exhaust noise. When I'm driving I'm getting a wide mixture of sounds from engine to exhaust, to other cars, tires, transmission, and the radio. I don't really care what some person on the street or in another car thinks because I'm not hearing what they are.

I don't think it's a vanity thing, it's only for your own enjoyment.

Damn all the drama happened while I was gone lol.

Anyway, who the fnck invented the gear lever for the Caddy XT5?

It rarely goes into reverse coz that button on the side works only half of the time. Also it feels to rubbery and bouncy when it moves... I feel like I'm playing with a dildo when I use it lol.

ascii42

It rarely goes into reverse coz that button on the side works only half of the time. Also it feels to rubbery and bouncy when it moves... I feel like I'm playing with a dildo when I use it lol.
Just looked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hVop9R0LL8

Huh, that's something. Chrysler did something similar. What exactly was wrong with the regular PRNDL shifters we've had for decades?

Xdye7

The only joke I see here is you. You sure spent a lot of time on that post. Sorry that I didn't want to be your private message friend on GAF and didn't want to talk with you about Evos. I don't really waste time with chumps in that scene anymore.

I didn't think you'd lash out so strongly, little guy. Next time I won't write my opinions about stuff that upsets you so much and causes you to spend a bunch of time trying to pick apart someone's opinion.

Lmao dude you really took it to heart. I'm just busting your balls. There's some truth in humour. All you do is drive by shitpost in an arrogant, condescending tone and I basically just did the same thing and evoked not just one but the several responses I was looking for by the big man who's best at it.

I believe we've briefly crossed paths in real life, although at the time I wasn't aware it was you. I could be wrong. Anyway, your dick and balls must stack almost two feet high on top your head for us to see eye level, but I'll stay the little guy and let you crush me with your giant internet foot.

-

I enjoy reading this thread due to the variety of different opinions and discussions within from absolutely all posters. I do not think life or any facet of it should be one big circle jerk, like make/model specific meets or forums for instance. What it comes down to is being able to communicate and articulate your thoughts and opinions in a respectable manner. Obviously some people see no value in this and live their lives accordingly. It doesn't make it objectively right or wrong, it's just their opinion and it differs from mine.

People as a whole are generally pretty fucking stupid. Auto enthusiasts are no exception although we like to think we're better off because we don't drive 'stupid regular cars', actually know how things function within, or whatever else. The evo is one of the cars I've owned the longest and spent a considerable amount of time and money keeping when I could've let it go. It has been driven and moved across countries. I spent a couple years wholesaling cars in LA, driving and spending time around everything from less than 40 to over 400k on a daily basis. I thought my dinky little evo wouldn't feel special after spending so much time in cars faster and infinitely more luxurious. But it still did at the end of the day or week coming home. I appreciate the driving feel and overall simplicity it has to offer, and at the end of the day it's just an average priced car that can't suddenly become a financial burden. I don't rake in half a mil a year needed for true carefree ownership of some of these cars. Brand new top of the line AMG's, Porsche's resold after 2, 5, less than 10k miles. Repo'd or otherwise, maybe the previous owner even got a raise. I don't have any evo friends, or subaru for that matter. I've been told on multiple occasions in person that I'm not at all like most evo owners. It's true, a solid majority come across as total dickheads, and that's a non exclusive description that can fit many more groups of people. My interactions with them are limited to a wave while driving. I like maybe five or six evo builds across all generations from what I've seen in reality or on the web. I don't care what the community is like. It's just nice to be in the loop a little bit. Car ownership is an experience for those driving, those temporarily along for the ride, and no one else.

Why.

Why why why.

I know that they're trying to think of new ways to do shift levers since they don't have to have any sort of mechanical connection, but why do something that takes up as much space as the old way but adds confusion? What good does this do anyone?

I think overall we will see a huge slide downwards in how cars sound. I remember arguing with Dave years ago about the 911 Turbo and how it sounds compared to N/A Porsche motors. Now, in retrospect, he was right. N/A high revvers are heavenly.

This trend will only continue unless cars use digital methods to enhance exhaust notes. It's unfortunate, but understandable as the world enforces emissions standards and fuel efficiency. But we can always buy older cars that we love, so that's no problem.

This was a tough choice when my family was deciding on custom ordering a Porsche Cayman 718 (turbo charged 4 cylinder boxer engine) or just getting a new Porsche Cayman 981 (naturally aspirated 6 cylinder boxer engine). While I loved the noise of the 981 more, I know the rest of my family would've preferred the safety features and technology that came standard and optional with the new 718 generation. So we went with the 718. I actually like the exhaust sounds of the 718 when pushed on a track or mountain paths in the Bay Area, but when compared to the 981, it's clear the 981 sounds better.

I actually had this perspective a couple years ago as well. But ever since I started looking at new cars to buy a couple years back, I realized that the noise of a car really adds to the experience, especially for a sports car. The emotion and feel of driving a sports car depends on many things, including and not limited to handling, feedback from the wheels to your seat, the stiffness of the chassis, and even the noise of the engine and exhaust. The Porsche 987 Boxster and 981 Cayman made me really appreciate this aspect of cars. I've only owned sedans before. For this reason, I love going on backroads and hill/mountain paths with no other cars just to enjoy my drives.

I've been told on multiple occasions in person that I'm not at all like most evo owners. It's true, a solid majority come across as total dickheads, and that's a non exclusive description that can fit many more groups of people. My interactions with them are limited to a wave while driving. I like maybe five or six evo builds across all generations from what I've seen in reality or on the web. I don't care what the community is like. It's just nice to be in the loop a little bit. Car ownership is an experience for those driving, those temporarily along for the ride, and no one else.

I know some people at work who despise BMW owners, some dislike Mercedes owners, some even think badly of whatever else. From my experience, Porsche owners I know tend to be more laid back and friendly than other car communities, but I also know there is the image of the "dick with a Porsche". I'm sure there are many out there like that, but at the end of the day, it's like you say, owning the car should first and foremost be an experience for ourselves. It's fun.

Just looked it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hVop9R0LL8

Huh, that's something. Chrysler did something similar. What exactly was wrong with the regular PRNDL shifters we've had for decades?

I know that this shifter is copied over from BMW.

Bimmian-The-Original-Shifter-Is-Available-In-Non-illuminating-And-Illuminating-Versions-Updated-Look-Automatic-Shift-Knob-Photo-7-ca261041.jpg

But the BMW shifter has excellent tactile feedback with the side button, and IIRC you don't need to press the side button if you're already in D to put into R.

I drove about 15 XT5's at work today and I kept putting it in neutral instead of R(at least once per car too) coz that side button in the Caddy might as well not exist lol.

I asked one of the sales people about it and she told me that their customers have indeed voiced their complaints to them and at Caddy themselves. The issue isn't that bad to where a majority of customers refuse to get it because of the POS shifter but the potential customers definitely are kinda baffled by it.

Why.

Why why why.

I know that they're trying to think of new ways to do shift levers since they don't have to have any sort of mechanical connection, but why do something that takes up as much space as the old way but adds confusion? What good does this do anyone?

Honestly... it does absolutely nothing lol. It's essentially over-engineered and under-engineered at the same time.

Over in that it's unecessary and under because it doesn't make any fncking sense at all from an ergonomics perspective.

Then when you think about Caddy's clientele, middle-aged to old people, then it just doesn't make any damn sense at all lol.

No Love

Banned
Hmm, I was behind one in a tunnel once in Switzerland. I was probably having an even better time than he did.

I think we need Alpha for this one. Because I've now heard the F Pace V6 and F Type V6 and they just sounded dull. Is there active valves or something?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I think we need Alpha for this one. Because I've now heard the F Pace V6 and F Type V6 and they just sounded dull. Is there active valves or something?

V6s from 2014-2016 didn't have active exhausts as standard, and also a lot of people who buy these cars don't even open the valve up on the console. The V6 is identical to the V8 motor in every way, except with two fewer cylinders. They're the same engine, so they sound largely the same, except the V6 has a higher tone compared to the V8's.

That said, the V6 sounds amazing in full crackle. I love it. It's the best sounding V6 by far.

boltz

Actually the average person probably just finds it obnoxious because I do too. When I'm not driving, I would rather have some peace and quiet, but driving a car with a good exhaust note just adds to the driving enjoyment. It's also a treat to get the occasional pop.

KRaZyAmmo

VQ engine sounds like garbage. Terrible annoying exhaust note. The harmonics are so weak and hollow and approaching a flatuent rasp. IMO Honda J series engine blows it out of the water for exhaust note when both have an exhaust. BMW's S50 and S52 sound 10x meaner.

I think VQ engines are ones you'll have to modify and tune to make it sound good. But even then I do find the VQ exhaust note....weird. I think the raspyiness makes it sound terrible.
Garage Mak Z33
Time Attack Z33 (Don't know which shop tuned it)

Edit: Also that Garage Mak Z33 has changed a lot from what was a streetable time attack car to now a full on track car (the build is still not finished)

Futaba

I don't really mind any cars exhaust note as long as it hasn't been badly modified.

Or if it uses one of these.

AACAAN516_large.jpg

people caught with these should be banned from driving for life, for poor taste. (And that includes the electronic version too)

Pinewood

Coming from a 4 banger, everything sounds better to me than my car lol.
Hey now 4 bangers can sound good too.

I don't really mind any cars exhaust note as long as it hasn't been badly modified.

people caught with these should be banned from driving for life, for poor taste. (And that includes the electronic version too)
Fun? story, my friends dad had a blow-off valve (idk if it was the real deal or a fake) installed in his wifes CX-7. Was a good laugh.

This exhaust and engine sound talk sounds more and more like some of the more embarassing shit about guitar gear online - eg demeaning others for their preference of instruments, amps and whatnot

Futaba

Fun? story, my friends dad had a blow-off valve (idk if it was the real deal or a fake) installed in his wifes CX-7. Was a good laugh.

This exhaust and engine sound talk sounds more and more like some of the more embarassing shit about guitar gear online - eg demeaning others for their preference of instruments, amps and whatnot
if it's for a laugh fair enough, but people that put them on and genuinely think it sounds cool... i don't even know what to say, isn't elitism or any nonsense like that, it's just facepalm worthy, it's akin to taking a big chiny plasti-chrome V8 badge from a dollar store and sticking it to the back of a reliant robin, if it's meant in jest then it's fine and a good laugh, but if (like ive seen people do with the tailpipe whistles) people are going to pull up and act like their car has a turbo, or matches the dollar store decal they slapped on the back.. that's just lame.

ascii42

Then when you think about Caddy's clientele, middle-aged to old people, then it just doesn't make any damn sense at all lol.

I mean, we're talking about the same company that thought CUE was a good idea in cars for old people "It's just like an iPad!"

GHG

AACAAN516_large.jpg

Oh my god I didn't even know this was a thing so I googled it...

https://youtu.be/0-TLyOxvw44

Wow... just wow. It's hilarious, sad and horrific all at the same time.

matmanx1

Guess Im gonna get a 124 Abarth. Nothing else really does anything for me. Dude I still want a CD player, what are my options.

Cool, 124 Abarth's are nifty. I bet Crutchfield has options for CD players in that car. That's the first place I would look.

As far as exhaust goes, the stock unit in my Miata neither inspires me or irritates me. It's actually fairly quiet from inside the car.

I will say that the engine note is far, far better than I would have thought possible before I bought the car. It's a little bit racy and the intake whine/whistle makes me giggle a little bit. Before I purchased the MX-5 I had no idea a 4 cylinder motor could actually sound fun like that. (I know, not exhaust related really but I had to put it out there)

HKS is gonna try to take the Tsukuba Circuit record back from Under Suzuki with a new time attack ZN6 build GTS800. It's built specifically FOR Tsukuba circuit.

This is going to be WILD! My friend was telling me about this as he went to TAS earlier this year. I can't wait to see this car in action. I'm a bit biased though since Under Suzuki is a privateer (and S Chassis).

My friend just flew from London to Japan specifically to inspect a R34 Nismo Z-Tune that came up for sale. Inspected the car and then were told they don't want to sell it any more...

That would piss me right the hell off. Was this a private seller or a dealer? I have a friend who just bought two BNR34's and used a dealer. They even kept the registration on them so that he could drive them (shhhhh) around while he was in the country.

Anyone know what a SR20DET non modified version of a S13 Coupe is going for these days? I'm curious. Also I think what Showdog said of the F20C is true of SR20DET, although I do know that if you stick with stock internals with the SR20 ~300hp is all it can handle until you start needing internal upgrades.

They are going up in price because there's not enough 90's Japanese RWD cars floating about. Non beat the crap cars will cost you. Those cheaper ones were slapped together, and will make you want to pull your hair out. Too many kids getting into drifting, without the prep or general maintenance.

I plan on it being a project car, But for now just planning it out until I get the actual car. Also I hear from a friend that Sr20s have rocker arm issues. Is that true?

Just get the arm stopper and you'll be fine... I didn't have any issues when I had my S15 and it was pushing 320HP...

Cool, 124 Abarth's are nifty. I bet Crutchfield has options for CD players in that car. That's the first place I would look.

As far as exhaust goes, the stock unit in my Miata neither inspires me or irritates me. It's actually fairly quiet from inside the car.

I will say that the engine note is far, far better than I would have thought possible before I bought the car. It's a little bit racy and the intake whine/whistle makes me giggle a little bit. Before I purchased the MX-5 I had no idea a 4 cylinder motor could actually sound fun like that. (I know, not exhaust related really but I had to put it out there)

I have an FRS with the TRD exhaust, and I love it so much. Its perfect.

boltz

I have an FRS with the TRD exhaust, and I love it so much. Its perfect.

I've seen a few folks on YouTube who didn't like that exhaust, but I'm glad you are happy with it. Speaking of exhausts, I'm a fan of the Abarth 500's. It's just so unexpected.

Watched Carfection's video on their drive of the Chiron last night and the one thing I learned is that I've been pronouncing it wrong the whole time - apparently it's Shee-rone not Kai-ron.

Anion

Speaking of exhausts - my lowly CLA makes some unusually crazy sounds that no one expects. I have the sport plus package, so it does include the same steering column, suspension, and...exhaust that the AMG45 does. But still a 211 HP sedan shouldn't be able to make the farts it does lol. I have to record it somehow

I've seen a few folks on YouTube who didn't like that exhaust, but I'm glad you are happy with it. Speaking of exhausts, I'm a fan of the Abarth 500's. It's just so unexpected.

Watched Carfection's video on their drive of the Chiron last night and the one thing I learned is that I've been pronouncing it wrong the whole time - apparently it's Shee-rone not Kai-ron.

Yup, I had the same realization while I watched that video too. It still "feels" wrong to say it the right way.

Evo X

I've got some pretty cool pics and videos to share from my visit to the Porsche Experience Center today. At the airport right now. It's been a really fun trip, but I'm exhausted. Can't wait to be back home.

No Love

Banned
V6s from 2014-2016 didn't have active exhausts as standard, and also a lot of people who buy these cars don't even open the valve up on the console. The V6 is identical to the V8 motor in every way, except with two fewer cylinders. They're the same engine, so they sound largely the same, except the V6 has a higher tone compared to the V8's.

That said, the V6 sounds amazing in full crackle. I love it. It's the best sounding V6 by far.

That must be it. Now I have to hear one with the full exhaust.

I think VQ engines are ones you'll have to modify and tune to make it sound good. But even then I do find the VQ exhaust note....weird. I think the raspyiness makes it sound terrible.
Garage Mak Z33
Time Attack Z33 (Don't know which shop tuned it)

Edit: Also that Garage Mak Z33 has changed a lot from what was a streetable time attack car to now a full on track car (the build is still not finished)

Yeah I 100% agree, VQ series can't shake the dying whale sound.

Coming from a 4 banger, everything sounds better to me than my car lol.

I have heard 4 bangers that sound incredible. Evo 8/9 and S2000 with exhaust come to mind.

Top Bottom