• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

For some reason these have really been catching my eye lately. Seem like a great platform to mod. Same goes for the Nissan Z cars.

Idk why I was so indifferent to them when they were newer. Maybe now that they've dropped in price and the aftermarket/tuning knowledge has expanded.

Also interested what owners here have to say

Yeah I love the Z's but it's too tiny(storage space) so I'm kinda out of them, if I'm going that route, it'd be a G37/Q50 instead.

As for the Twins, I've always liked them especially since they're the only competition to the Miata but since I swore allegiance to Mazda a few years ago, I had to publicly criticize them. :p

Really the only reason I'd say I don't like them is the community(ricers, hellaflush, etc) that comes with it but at least they won't lose shit when you put in a tow hitch lol.

Do it! It is a great daily driver. Great for long distance drives too. tbh, I don't know how you are managing with the Miata as your only car (if it is). Space is also definitely a consideration for my next car. The cars I am looking at are definitely a downgrade on the storage front.

Which MYs are costing $20k? I am surprised they are that high.

Edit: My 2013 limited is showing a $17k trade in value!? Maybe I should sell sooner rather than later. 9k depreciation over 4 years is not that bad.

Yup, it's been my daily driver for the last 5 years. I got it in the middle of college and I went to a commuter school and lived at home so I didn't really need storage space back then. Now I commute 60 miles a day for work, all my camera equipment fits in my trunk so even then I don't need that much storage space.

It's just me trying to become an adult these days lol. Like I do Costco runs twice and I always have to alternate between the paper towels and toilet paper since I can only fit one in my trunk lol.

And yeah prices seem like they're about to take a sharp dive really soon. Just a few months ago you couldn't really find an example under 45k miles and under $20K, but now, even in the middle of summer, they're going down and down. Makes me wonder what's going on.

Anyway, thankfully there aren't any WR Blue's on sale in the DFW area, otherwise it'd be tough to resist the temptation lol.

I never liked the Z cars. Just something about the driving position and road feel from the car feels off.

Plus everyone I see around here is stanced with a billion stickers.

^And you just reminded me one of the reasons to avoid the BZFSR86.

Isn't the crickets just the fuel pump making noises? What's so bad about that?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Of all the car forums I've been on thus far as an owner (Nissan Maxima, 350Z, 370Z, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Jaguar)...the Jag forums are far and away the best. Even the guys with the old X-Type and S-Types are really quiet and nice posters.

The official Jaguar owners club on FB is pretty friendly too. BMW forums were easily the worst (as is the FB group). Followed by Maxima and 350Z owners.

Miata.net used to be great, now it's just good.

Old codgers who somehow figured out the internet used to populate it but as the cars have gotten cheaper, the quality of posters has also started to go down a little(aka kids like me lol).

It's still pretty dang helpful I think, I just don't post there anymore as it's becoming more focused on keeping a pure Miata experience instead of having fun with the car.

SliChillax

Of all the car forums I've been on thus far as an owner (Nissan Maxima, 350Z, 370Z, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Jaguar)...the Jag forums are far and away the best. Even the guys with the old X-Type and S-Types are really quiet and nice posters.

The official Jaguar owners club on FB is pretty friendly too. BMW forums were easily the worst (as is the FB group). Followed by Maxima and 350Z owners.
The BMW groups are by far the worst, elitism and making fun of anything that isn't a proper M car.

Ovid

The BMW groups are by far the worst, elitism and making fun of anything that isn't a proper M car.

I visited the OT of a Vette forum and it was nothing but Trump supporters spewing racist shit. It really turned me off to buying that car.

I switched to looking at used CTS-V coupes instead.

I'm looking at buying one in a few years.

hwalker84

They'll take care of you. They were great to my brother when his BRZ had the dreaded cricket chirp. Eventually they bought the car back full price.

So the dealer that gave me the best price got one in today. Funny thing is I have the sneaking suspicion it's the exact same one that I test drove already. LOL. I'm going to his another dealer first as they have a grey one with some upgrades but still advertised as near MSRP.

ameratsu

I want a used 2015-2016 GTI with a manual, but the price difference with the Performance Pack option is huge. Easily 3k or more on most examples.

golem

M3 Forums said "Hello"

E90post had a lot of the "my first fast car" thing going on.. yeah it was a bit annoying. They are enthusiastic however lol. I feel with Audi forums people seem to think there is only one proper way to behave owning an Audi and its the most uninteresting, boring way of course.*

Can I get a Porsche board?

Haha most Rennlisters Ive met seem ok so far. A surprising amount of the younger crowd came from M3s actually. Also the uber owners like CJ Wilson and mooty that populate the board keep things entertaining

(*excluding the 1000+ member Audi group I run naturally)

Anion

The mercedes CLA forum is actually pretty awesome. Lots of posters are engineers and are pretty informed. Lots of DIY mod threads. Turbokits has a thread displaying their new turbo for the CLA250 and various posters are testing out the prototypes and reporting.

I can't speak for the regular Mercedes forums (MBWorld or the other ones), they seem very dilute

Can I get a Porsche board?

If Im very bored, I just look at the thread with high rollers' garages...makes me drool

jamsy

Had everyone's favorite check engine light come on. Called the Lotus dealer down the peninsula for an appointment and of course, the Lotus mechanic is unavailable for like a month. Got pretty angry until I realized there's a new Lotus place in SF so I wouldn't have to drive. Scheduled an appointment, dropped the car off and...well, apparently after checking, they still don't know what's up and had to call Lotus themselves. That was yesterday. Today, they call me and said the only guy that can work on Lotuses working there had some emergency and isn't in today, so maybe they'll figure it out tomorrow. Of course, it's not like I get a loaner in the meantime.

Sometimes, having an exotic is a huge pain in the ass.

EDIT: The car ahead of me when i dropped it off was a 4C. Have to be honest, while neat, that's probably the most impractical car you can get right now. It's tiny. The guy opened the trunk to get out a shoulder bag out of it and wow..And I thought the trunk in my Evora was small.

^And you just reminded me one of the reasons to avoid the BZFSR86.

Isn't the crickets just the fuel pump making noises? What's so bad about that?

Other than just being annoying, nothing performance wise. My brother didn't like it because it made him feel like he was driving a much older jalopy lol.

In the end Subaru bought it back full price after he drove it for a year, and he got a WRX instead. Worked out for him as he had a kid shortly after lol.

Malvolio

I want a used 2015-2016 GTI with a manual, but the price difference with the Performance Pack option is huge. Easily 3k or more on most examples.

I've found the same thing. I really enjoy my 2016 with no PP. However I've been doing more autox and started looking to see what it would cost to trade in for one. Every used example I've found is listed for more than I paid for mine brand new. I know the front diff is amazing, but I can't justify that kind of hit.

hwalker84

So you're complaining because you didnt get the price you wanted?
This is why I wont do sales anymore

I think he's complaining because he got offered a price by the dealership via email but it wasn't honored in store. Which is a reasonable thing to complain about.

Has nothing to do with the price. I'm complaining about the Sales Manager. He was an aggressive, unprofessional, roided up hot head. He used profanity. He called me a liar and his body language was basically telling me to get the fuck out of my dealership or we'll take it outside.

matmanx1

Had everyone's favorite check engine light come on. Called the Lotus dealer down the peninsula for an appointment and of course, the Lotus mechanic is unavailable for like a month. Got pretty angry until I realized there's a new Lotus place in SF so I wouldn't have to drive. Scheduled an appointment, dropped the car off and...well, apparently after checking, they still don't know what's up and had to call Lotus themselves. That was yesterday. Today, they call me and said the only guy that can work on Lotuses working there had some emergency and isn't in today, so maybe they'll figure it out tomorrow. Of course, it's not like I get a loaner in the meantime.

Sometimes, having an exotic is a huge pain in the ass.

EDIT: The car ahead of me when i dropped it off was a 4C. Have to be honest, while neat, that's probably the most impractical car you can get right now. It's tiny. The guy opened the trunk to get out a shoulder bag out of it and wow..And I thought the trunk in my Evora was small.

Doesn't the Evora use the Toyota Camry V6? I would think check engine lights on those are pretty rare unless there are some Lotus specific bits added on and even then I bet it's something minor. Sorry for your trouble though and I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

AlphaSnake

We speak about Corvettes here often, and the other day I had an experience that cemented (anecdotally) why no Corvette variant, no matter how ballistic and fast, will be considered exotic. And why often times their drivers are immature jerks.

I was pulling my car out of the garage to go get some lunch. I closed the garage door, and while the car warms up a little bit, I always arm the house through my phone before driving away. When I've set the alarm, I look up from the phone and see a worker's van standing in front of my driveway and slowly creeping by it, window open, and the driver sticking his head out looking at my car. Typical looking Florida guy, who's one bad move away from being labeled a 'Florida-man' (skinny dude, tattoos, cig, short blonde hair, and super tanned from working outside all day). I'm a little put off by the stare to be honest, it's freaking me out...but he's just admiring the car, so whatever.

The funny bit was that the new Z06 who lives a few doors down from me pulled up behind the van really hard all of a sudden, and was trying to pass him. So he honks the van to move along, and the guy sticks his head further out and yells "Relax! No one gives a shit about your Corvette, poncho!" The van finally starts to drive off and he gives me the thumbs up. Florida-man prefers Jaguars over the much faster Corvette Z06.

Side bit:
It all happened in about 5 seconds, really. But the whole thing unfolded so funny, because the actual owner of the Z06 (who is not the kid I've seen driving it, that's his nephew) is a 50 year old Venezuelan guy (thus the "poncho" comment from the van driver...), and he drives it like a dick through our streets here, where kids play all the time. He's been lambasted over the past few days, and the van driver was the newest addition. A few neighbors have knocked on his door and told him to chill out, and his responses have been nothing short of asshole. So it was hilarious to see someone who doesn't even live here to tell this guy to sod off.

hwalker84

While my brain is going haywire trying to decide what I want to buy. I thought I was completely settled on a WRX

Now I sit here thinking maybe the Mini Cooper Clubman S

More expensive
Loss speed
More comfortable
More cargo

One thing I did forget when I was thinking what I usually do activities wise is when I gear up for a heavy day at the range I rifle bags are going to be a problem in the WRX.

While my brain is going haywire trying to decide what I want to buy. I thought I was completely settled on a WRX

More expensive
Loss speed
More comfortable
More cargo

One thing I did forget when I was thinking what I usually do activities wise is when I gear up for a heavy day at the range I rifle bags are going to be a problem in the WRX.

Get a Civic type R for the hatch

boltz

We speak about Corvettes here often, and the other day I had an experience that cemented (anecdotally) why no Corvette variant, no matter how ballistic and fast, will be considered exotic. And why often times their drivers are immature jerks.

I was pulling my car out of the garage to go get some lunch. I closed the garage door, and while the car warms up a little bit, I always arm the house through my phone before driving away. When I've set the alarm, I look up from the phone and see a worker's van standing in front of my driveway and slowly creeping by it, window open, and the driver sticking his head out looking at my car. Typical looking Florida guy, who's one bad move away from being labeled a 'Florida-man' (skinny dude, tattoos, cig, short blonde hair, and super tanned from working outside all day). I'm a little put off by the stare to be honest, it's freaking me out...but he's just admiring the car, so whatever.

The funny bit was that the new Z06 who lives a few doors down from me pulled up behind the van really hard all of a sudden, and was trying to pass him. So he honks the van to move along, and the guy sticks his head further out and yells "Relax! No one gives a shit about your Corvette, poncho!" The van finally starts to drive off and he gives me the thumbs up. Florida-man prefers Jaguars over the much faster Corvette Z06.

Side bit:
It all happened in about 5 seconds, really. But the whole thing unfolded so funny, because the actual owner of the Z06 (who is not the kid I've seen driving it, that's his nephew) is a 50 year old Venezuelan guy (thus the "poncho" comment from the van driver...), and he drives it like a dick through our streets here, where kids play all the time. He's been lambasted over the past few days, and the van driver was the newest addition. A few neighbors have knocked on his door and told him to chill out, and his responses have been nothing short of asshole. So it was hilarious to see someone who doesn't even live here to tell this guy to sod off.

I'm a big fan of the C7 Corvette, but you'd have to be delusional or a rabid fan boy to call the Corvette an exotic. I would have loved for the new NSX to compete in the same price range as the Z06 instead of being pushed upmarket.

More expensive
Loss speed
More comfortable
More cargo

I have no problem with getting my 42" rifle bag and other range gear into the trunk of my Evo X, which has a terribly small trunk with no folding rear seats. So the WRX should have no issue with that unless you're packing enough to arm a small militia :p

v1lla21

More expensive
Loss speed
More comfortable
More cargo

Might as well get a GTI.
more cargo
Less expensive
More comfortable
Less power but still quick
Nicer interior

Pinewood

More expensive
Loss speed
More comfortable
More cargo

Got to drive the previous Clubman JCW, so idk if the new one is better.
The car itself drove awesome, with the sport mode engaged the exhaust sometimes popped during shifts etc.
But the rear seat was utter shit.

hwalker84

Might as well get a GTI.
more cargo
Less expensive
More comfortable
Less power but still quick
Nicer interior

Doesn't fit the criteria

AWD/4X4
Manual
Under $30000
New
Some umph.

I was going to go Crosstrek then I drove a similar Subaru and it was like moving molasses. That's when I started thinking WRX. Losing a considerable amount of storage space compared to my Grand Cherokee but kids won't be for another year or two.

Cake Boss

Banned
Doesn't fit the criteria

AWD/4X4
Manual
Under $30000
New
Some umph.

I was going to go Crosstrek then I drove a similar Subaru and it was like moving molasses. That's when I started thinking WRX. Losing a considerable amount of storage space compared to my Grand Cherokee but kids won't be for another year or two.

Get a used 230i with x drive or an A3 or a Lexus IS

Or for the lulz get a Nismo Juke SR.

J-Rzez

Doesn't fit the criteria

AWD/4X4
Manual
Under $30000
New
Some umph.

There's only one choice there and its WRX based on that criteria. I had a 15 WRX and it was a good car, enough space, safe, decent get up and go, good efficiency (mpg), but the worst paint and stereo ever to grace a car.

Its the best bang for the buck car of its type.

hahaha I also had PSS :)

So far them seem quieter yet firmer if that makes sense. Wonder if side walls are stiffer.

Nice, I'm running mps4s's too and they're much better than my old toyo t1rs.

Got to put then through some paces. Instantly noticeable difference. Better grip, better ride, similar turn in, less road noise, less sidewall squirm. Michelin using some magic dust confirmed.

I have a '17 WRX and it's overrated and I absolutely would not buy one again. J-Rzez, you have the Focus RS, right? I was heavily considering one a few months back but I decided to wait. I want to check out the Civic Type R and an '18 Mustang GT first before I buy anything. I don't want to make another expensive mistake like I made buying this WRX.

Sent an email to Subaru of America due to the treatment I received trying to buy a WRX this weekend.
That's a shame. I was going to look at an STI this weekend. Fell in love with a leftover 2016 Miata Club with BBS/Brembo package before I got there. That Mazda dealership was awesome, too. The most straight-up experience I've ever had buying a car. Salesman even thanked me for being organized and doing research ahead of time. Finance guy didn't give me any trouble sneaking in extras. They didn't even fuss over removing the dealer sticker. 10/10 would buy again. The only thing that sucked was driving the two hours home through bug central. Damn thing already needs cleaned.

hwalker84

I have a '17 WRX and it's overrated and I absolutely would not buy one again. J-Rzez, you have the Focus RS, right? I was heavily considering one a few months back but I decided to wait. I want to check out the Civic Type R and an '18 Mustang GT first before I buy anything. I don't want to make another expensive mistake like I made buying this WRX.

What didn't you like?

AlphaSnake

I'm a big fan of the C7 Corvette, but you'd have to be delusional or a rabid fan boy to call the Corvette an exotic. I would have loved for the new NSX to compete in the same price range as the Z06 instead of being pushed upmarket.

Have you met Corvette owners? Delusional, older men who think their cars are Ferraris and Lambos. They throw the word exotic and supercar a lot.

v1lla21

Have you met Corvette owners? Delusional, older men who think their cars are Ferraris and Lambos. They throw the word exotic and supercar a lot.
Oh god, you describe my gf's neighbor so well with his c7.

This dude also comes knocking every time I or anyone parks in front of his house. He got in trouble for painting the curb red.

Did this today:

AZgZDTAl.jpg

Cool thing is that the car still feels exactly the same as to when I got it 5 years/40K+ miles ago.

And as much as I want to get a new car right now, I kinda have no intention of getting rid of the Miata lol. If I could afford it, I'd probably have 2 cars, this and a daily/beater but life ain't perfect and it's full of compromises so eh I guess haha.

Top Bottom