• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

I average over 30 mpg per tank with mostly city driving. Remaining mile counter is flakey in the sense that when it's at 0 you actually have over 2 gallons left. I choose to fill up soon after 0, but you can reliably count on 50+ more miles in an pinch.

Interesting.

I average about 30mpg as well when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic on the highway. I gotta see how it really is without traffic, so far Friday morning was the first time last week that didn't have any traffic at all.

Does driving in Sport mode all the time affect gas mileage?

I really like the steering feel and the "interference" of the LSD in sport mode so I haven't been able to drive it without, but it occurred to me that individual can customize it lol. I'm gonna try to run everything in normal mode except for steering and the LSD and see how that is in terms of gas mileage and fun. Maybe I can find the right balance for me lol.

I really miss the fuel mileage I got in my MK6 GTI. Even tuned to Stage 2, it obliterated the MPG I get in my R. I'm averaging low 20s with about 70% city, 30% highway driving.

Shush you lol. I kinda decided this weekend to hold off on stage 1 until my warranty runs out. But if you're telling me I can get a similar mpg figures even at stage 2... man... thankfully I have no money to pay for it right now haha.

Yep. As I said, the knock sensor may be adjusting for all sorts of shit, but there are still actual performance drawbacks that simply boil down to general chemistry that nothing mechanical can ease or compensate for - knock sensors simply protect the engine from excessive detonation. Low grade octane = lower performance. And that will almost always be the case.

I figured as much.

It's actually interesting to see what VW has done because the Mazdaspeed3 will knock to heaven and earth if you put 87 in it. Hell, even on a hot-ass summer day, it would still knock on 93 and the only way it won't knock is if it's running E85.

I believe the FoST runs on regular as well and it's a direct descendant of the Mazdaspeed's engine, I sorta wonder what Ford did to the engine to get it running that way.

The vents in my '17 A4 are designed into the cockpit fascia as aesthetic as well as practical elements. The problem is that I'm honestly not sure what is vent and what is décor, and further, I'm never really sure they're all pointing in the right direction or blowing stuff.

How do you like your A4?

Good buddy of mine bought one over the weekend and at first I was jelly but then I saw the price for it, as well as his trade in value and got over it immediately lol.

I'm happy for him though, he's been wanting one since we got out of college.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Spent the day rolling with a friend after he picked up his minty fresh lancia hf Integrale! Beautiful car.

Holy shit. Is it strange I'm more jealous about this than any porsche/lambo posted in this thread?

Bandit1

Yeah, more classics are a good thing. This thread also needs more Classic Sh*tboxes!

Because everybody needs to eat more dried prunes. To be regular (car reviews, that is.)

Hah! I've seen a few of these, but they were in a lot worse shape. And a friend of mine put some of those seats in the back of a 40s Ford rat rod truck just for fun lol.

Spent the day rolling with a friend after he picked up his minty fresh lancia hf Integrale! Beautiful car.

No pics??

Went for a little night drive with the GTI last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBPwQh7XN_o&feature=youtu.be

Nothing special, just some slightly hard pulls to test out the sound.

That's awesome. I actually like those clips. Not many people put up reviews or clips of night drives. I don't know how people feel about VW sounds here, but I enjoyed the sound as well.

Then again, I'm one of those weird gamers who actually enjoyed playing Metroid: Other M, so....yeah.

Thanks man! And nothing wrong with an old straight 6 (unless it's in a tow truck haha.) So do you have an adapter to put the 4 barrel on that intake or an aftermarket intake? I didn't think the sixes came with 4 barrels but I could be wrong. My dad had a hi-flow aluminum intake for a Chevy 6 that was made for a 4 barrel and it had 6 = 8 cast on the top side. Always thought that was pretty cool.

Aftermarket, it never came with anything more than a 2-barrel. I actually didn't do that, the guy I bought it from had rebuilt the engine and put this thing on top...rather weird. I would've just put a V8 in there. It has all the room and it's quite easy in this car.

Malvolio

Interesting.

I average about 30mpg as well when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic on the highway. I gotta see how it really is without traffic, so far Friday morning was the first time last week that didn't have any traffic at all.

Does driving in Sport mode all the time affect gas mileage?

I really like the steering feel and the "interference" of the LSD in sport mode so I haven't been able to drive it without, but it occurred to me that individual can customize it lol. I'm gonna try to run everything in normal mode except for steering and the LSD and see how that is in terms of gas mileage and fun. Maybe I can find the right balance for me lol.

Sport mode adjusts how responsive the throttle is. You can easily get the same MPG level in sport mode if you adjust your personal throttle use. Personally, I keep it in sport mode 90% of the time if only to make rev matching quicker. I really only change it to normal when I know my wife will be driving it next since she is still not totally comfortable with the clutch catch point.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
jongkookie said:
how do you like your A4?

I absolutely love it. I look forward to my commute and volunteer for road trips. I added a tow hitch for my bike rack and now it's perfect.

Fast.
Quiet as a hearse.
Incredibly comfortable.
Audiophile multimedia.
Fantastic iPhone integration.
Spacious.
Cavernous trunk (for its segment)

ameratsu

Finally sold my integra... The first person who could actually be bothered to show up to look at it bought it.

Selling cars privately is so frustrating, I'm glad my buying experiences have gone much, much better than this.

matmanx1

I drove my 2008 Miata home from work today through Tropical Storm Irma. Despite the 40+ mile an hour winds and torrential downpour that little NC did just fine. I would have rather driven my SUV (the Lexus GX470) since it is AWD and has plenty of ground clearance but it is at my local mechanic's shop getting checked out for an intermittent ignition issue that I have been experiencing.

I can feel the road so well in the Miata and it is so well balanced and responsive that I know immediately if a tire is loosing grip and can adjust brake/ throttle / steering accordingly. Even with the weather I was in complete control and felt confident the whole trip. It required more effort and I had to pay closer attention to what I was doing in the Miata than I would have had to do in the SUV but then again, isn't that what driving a sports car is all about?

Driving the NC in the rain is an amazing experience imo.

That's probably one of the things I'll miss about it. Even under torrential downpour I can drive that thing at 70mph and it wouldn't really be any different than driving on dry weather since the car is pretty much giving you constant feedback as to what's going on everywhere in the car.

That's awesome. I actually like those clips. Not many people put up reviews or clips of night drives. I don't know how people feel about VW sounds here, but I enjoyed the sound as well.

Then again, I'm one of those weird gamers who actually enjoyed playing Metroid: Other M, so....yeah.

Other M is the shitty one right? Lol I haven't touched a Metroid game since Prime 1.

Anyway, I actually do have a longer version of these clips but it's uninteresting since I can't go fast or do shenanigans haha.

That said I do have another route I've been wanting to do, but I'm iffy on getting on it coz it is dark as hell over there and I have heard of stories from my Miata buddies about shit jumping out to the road and tripping you out. I've done the route during daylight and there's a state trooper hanging out on the excess so it's no fun lol.

Also, this further enforces the idea that I want a GoPro for my car. =)

Dooo it.

Check out eBay for refurbs... I picked up my Session 4 a few months ago for a Benjamin and I haven't had issues with it.

It's not the best $100 I've spent, but it's rendered most if not all my camera gear useless when I go on vacation. Seriously, I went on a little vacation a few weeks ago with my expensive ass DSLR and a set of lenses, and I only took something like 70 pics with it. Meanwhile, my GoPro was recording almost every single thing that I was doing lol.

Sport mode adjusts how responsive the throttle is. You can easily get the same MPG level in sport mode if you adjust your personal throttle use. Personally, I keep it in sport mode 90% of the time if only to make rev matching quicker. I really only change it to normal when I know my wife will be driving it next since she is still not totally comfortable with the clutch catch point.

Yeah, I drove it around today with sport everything but the engine and I like the more peppy throttle response than the normal one. That's not to say normal is bad, I'm just so used to driving an NA car that I need instant gratification haha.

Lol, my bad. Didn't get to take many because we were mostly driving, did snap these two when we stopped by Ikea (Gotta have those meatballs).

Hmmm yeah those Swedish Meatballs are amazing. That IKEA you see in the video I posted is pretty much 5 minutes away from my house and I'm excited for it to open up in a couple of months haha.

I absolutely love it. I look forward to my commute and volunteer for road trips. I added a tow hitch for my bike rack and now it's perfect.

Fast.
Quiet as a hearse.
Incredibly comfortable.
Audiophile multimedia.
Fantastic iPhone integration.
Spacious.
Cavernous trunk (for its segment)

Nice.

I really like the look of the B9 and IMO, it's one of the best looking cars on the road these days.

Other M is the shitty one right? Lol I haven't touched a Metroid game since Prime 1.

Anyway, I actually do have a longer version of these clips but it's uninteresting since I can't go fast or do shenanigans haha.

First of all, don't judge Metroid: Other M until you've played it. I actually think it's a fun game. I'm capable of ignoring a crappy story and cutscenes. Most game stories are pretty empty and lacking anyways, so it's no big deal. Give it a shot if you find it for cheap. I think Metroid: Other M and Batman: Arkham Origin are heavily underrated.

Secondly, definitely GoPro yourself driving on curvy roads and mountains backroads. It's amazingly fun shifting up and down gears going around corners. Obviously don't do anything dangerous, but your car is very capable.

First of all, don't judge Metroid: Other M until you've played it. I actually think it's a fun game. I'm capable of ignoring a crappy story and cutscenes. Most game stories are pretty empty and lacking anyways, so it's no big deal. Give it a shot if you find it for cheap. I think Metroid: Other M and Batman: Arkham Origin are heavily underrated.

Secondly, definitely GoPro yourself driving on curvy roads and mountains backroads. It's amazingly fun shifting up and down gears going around corners. Obviously don't do anything dangerous, but your car is very capable.

Man, I wish I had the time play games today like I used to back then.

I bought a PS4 back in July and I've got a huuuuuge backlog to catch up to. I finished UC4 and right now I'm going through Yakuza 0(albeit slowly both by game design and IRL lol) just so I can start Kiwami(and I only got it coz Amazon was offering a bonkers deal on release, it was $22 lol).

That's on top of Horizon, The Last Guardian, Bloodborne, and Ni-Oh(see a pattern? lol) which are still sitting in their shrinkwrap lol. I've also been doing quick plays with Everybody's Golf since it's a super quick pick up and play type of game.

Thankfully Forza 7 is the only game I'm interested in this fall since everything else is coming out next year so I should be able to clear my backlog in December lol.

But yeah, one of these days I'll definitely go on a drive and just record it. Maybe the local Miata club will still accept me on their drives? Lol.

burgerdog

RS4 Wagon
2018-audi-rs4-avant-5.jpg

Looks good and should be proper fast, too bad we'll never get it.

v1lla21

Volkswagen_Golf_Mk_I_GTI_001.jpg

Hmmm.. Yep, it's a Honda Golf.
In reality it's a throwback to the early generations of civics but looks more like a golf lol. Even then, it's a nice looking car. Hope it comes overseas because I'd totally love to own one as a daily driver just for looks.

Malvolio

Love that Honda EV. I'm actually toying with the idea of finding a GTI MK 1 or 2 because I love the shape so much. If Honda can make it fun to drive I'd be tempted.

TFGB

Just exactly how slow is the Huracan compared to the 720s in the straight? Really slow
ZooooooooOOOOOM!!

Phenomenal. I was chatting to a couple of chaps at McLaren Ascot a couple of weeks back while they were servicing our Mac, and it seems as though I might have to wait till 2020 for a 720S Spider, and even then it might not become a reality. The 720S is so tempting and it goes like shit off a shiny shovel.

I know I will miss having the lid down on my 650S Spider, but I can see myself caving in on the 720S in the next couple of years as a compromise. :/

One of the chaps said that he knows someone at MTC that has seen the P15 and it looks stunning. Should be on the market at the end of 2018 for between £600-800K. *gulp*

op_ivy

i like that honda, but i wish they (and everyone else) would turn down the tron dial just a bit. looks a bit too "futuristic" and i imagine will age incredibly poorly. mainly the grill, side skirt thingy, and those wheels.

RS4 Wagon

Looks good and should be proper fast, too bad we'll never get it.

It's truly a shame we'll never get it stateside. I would sell my GTI and kidneys in a heartbeat for this.

I like it but like the Chiron, I just can't fully appreciate it's technical marvels or whatever. Not only is it out of my price range in my entire lifetime, I just don't see the appeal in owning one and not being able to use it's full capabilities.

Maybe I'm channeling my inner David Inc right now(which is funny coz I'm also a David IRL) but yeah, they're cool cars, I'd break my neck just to see one on the road but after all that, I'd probably forget about it.

Here's a car I might be able to afford, the Honda Golf... I mean Honda Urban EV Concept which aims to hit production in 2019

I'd probably rock this if I decide to go full hipster and try to save the planet and all that.

As it is most EV's are just downright ugly, and the good looking ones are out of my plebian price range. My thinking is, if I can't have an ICE and manual transmission then the car should at least do something unique or really good.

Going to test drive the new Civic Si. Not sure what to expect, but looking forward to it.

Did you have to get a credit check to test drive it?

But more importantly, what are your thoughts?

Futaba

I like it but like the Chiron, I just can't fully appreciate it's technical marvels or whatever. Not only is it out of my price range in my entire lifetime, I just don't see the appeal in owning one and not being able to use it's full capabilities.

Maybe I'm channeling my inner David Inc right now(which is funny coz I'm also a David IRL) but yeah, they're cool cars, I'd break my neck just to see one on the road but after all that, I'd probably forget about it.

I'm in agreement, even if I had that sort of disposable income, I wouldn't want to use it to even 10% of it's potential, because any sort of wear or damage is going to cost more to fix than youre average family car costs to buy new - A friend of mine here in Japan spends more on his yearly service to his supercar than I have spent (car+mods) on my 86, and to me that's insane.

But to go a bit further, I have enough funds available at the moment where If I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to walk into my nearest Maclaren dealership and drive out with a shiny new P1 and still have change to fill the tank to get it home, but if I did that I don't think I would get anywhere near as much enjoyment-to-the-dollar as I do with comparitively run of the mill every day vehicles.

I'd much rather buy an 86, MX5, GTI, RX7, spend a few months to a few years slowly modifying it, and comprehensively enjoying everything it has to offer, for a fraction of the price of a high performance supercar.

I won't mock, begrudge or assume to know the mindset of the people who do go out and buy such vehicles, and if they enjoy them and feel like they get what they paid for then that's awesome, they're just not for me.

For example, if someone offered me a chiron, or an RX7 and $40,000 to modify it, with the strict rule that i could not sell either vehicle, and the $40,000 could only be spent on the vehicle, even though the latter is literally chump change compared to the chirons pricetag, I would take the RX7.

Bandit1

I'm in agreement, even if I had that sort of disposable income, I wouldn't want to use it to even 10% of it's potential, because any sort of wear or damage is going to cost more to fix than youre average family car costs to buy new - A friend of mine here in Japan spends more on his yearly service to his supercar than I have spent (car+mods) on my 86, and to me that's insane.

But to go a bit further, I have enough funds available at the moment where If I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to walk into my nearest Maclaren dealership and drive out with a shiny new P1 and still have change to fill the tank to get it home, but if I did that I don't think I would get anywhere near as much enjoyment-to-the-dollar as I do with comparitively run of the mill every day vehicles.

I'd much rather buy an 86, MX5, GTI, RX7, spend a few months to a few years slowly modifying it, and comprehensively enjoying everything it has to offer, for a fraction of the price of a high performance supercar.

I won't mock, begrudge or assume to know the mindset of the people who do go out and buy such vehicles, and if they enjoy them and feel like they get what they paid for then that's awesome, they're just not for me.

For example, if someone offered me a chiron, or an RX7 and $40,000 to modify it, with the strict rule that i could not sell either vehicle, and the $40,000 could only be spent on the vehicle, even though the latter is literally chump change compared to the chirons pricetag, I would take the RX7.

Yeah I'm with you guys. It's cool to look at and the stats are impressive, which is why I posted it, but given a similar hypothetical to what Futaba proposed, a Mercedes Project One that I couldn't sell, or a measly 5% of its value (about $135,000 lol) to use on car related stuff, personally I'd take the 5% all day long.

If I was rich as hell I'd probably max out my sports car spend at about 250K. But then I like stuff like that GT3 Touring or a Mustang GT350R over pretty much anything, so go figure.

When your prototypical "perfect car" has a manual transmission, NA engine, great weight balance, low weight and sticky as hell tires, well...

You tend to look at stuff like that and go "that's really neat" for about 5 minutes then shrug and move on.

v1lla21

I'd take something I could daily over a vehicle I would only drive a couple of times a month. It's cool to think about having the money to own an expensive car but to me it wouldn't be worth the money if I'd only be driving it once or twice a week.

Pterion

Did you have to get a credit check to test drive it?

But more importantly, what are your thoughts?
No credit check required to test drive it.

Coming from my wife's 2017 Sonata sport, I definitely enjoyed the Civic Si. I was surprised at low the seat is in the car. Acceleration was better, the manual felt pretty good and it handled decently for the price. You can feel the LSD working when accelerating at low speed and turning. It's been a while I test drove a GTI, but I still think the GTI was more fun to drive and it felt faster, but I could be wrong.

I am going to drive a M2 and M240i tonight, base Macan and Audi S4 + S5 sportback this Saturday. I've pretty much eliminated the Civic Si as I want some luxury items with my ride, but I appreciated it for what it is. Funny thing is the sales rep told me I could get a type R coming in December at MSRP, but it's too "boy-racer" for me. Honestly, if it wasn't for our long winters, I'd have jumped on a 991 already and called it a day. But I have limited parking space and I can't have 3 cars until my house is built next year.

op_ivy

looks like i may have found some very affordable evo x MR BBS wheels with advan a13 tires! pretty excited to have a dedicated summer set and a dedicated winter set rather than the all seasons i've been running. plus, those bbs wheels are hot

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I genuinely don't care at all for that AMG One. Nothing about it excites me. Everything about it is the antithesis of what I want out of a vehicle.

If I was a billionaire auto enthusiast, I wouldn't care about owning one.

Hey give me good mileage and a good looking EV and I'm all over it.

Yeah I agree. If the Bolt, Prius or Leaf actually looked cool/interesting, I wouldn't mind driving one.

The Prius c is probably the closest to looking decent in the affordable EV/hybrid bracket but it's still got that odd Prius look.

I genuinely don't care at all for that AMG One. Nothing about it excites me. Everything about it is the antithesis of what I want out of a vehicle.

If I was a billionaire auto enthusiast, I wouldn't care about owning one.

Wow, I'm quite surprised people agree with me about the AMG One. I was getting ready to put my flame suit on since last time somebody brought up a hot take about the Dodge Demon, it got pretty heated in here.

Yes, I was trying to shove as many heat related puns in there as much as possible haha.

Me personally, the ultimate be all and end all goal would be to buy a 6MT 911 and daily drive that thing. If I can get to that in this lifetime, I'd know that I have made it lol.

No credit check required to test drive it.

Coming from my wife's 2017 Sonata sport, I definitely enjoyed the Civic Si. I was surprised at low the seat is in the car. Acceleration was better, the manual felt pretty good and it handled decently for the price. You can feel the LSD working when accelerating at low speed and turning. It's been a while I test drove a GTI, but I still think the GTI was more fun to drive and it felt faster, but I could be wrong.

That's good to know. My friend did tell me that they have eased the credit checks... whether that's a dealer or Honda directive idk but it's still a little too late for me.

As for the Si vs GTI comparison, a lot of the comparisons I've read say the GTI is better in almost everything and I can't say for sure either. But I will say that those comparisons were one of the factors that led me to the GTI instead.

Good luck on your car search!

Pinewood

Yeah I agree. If the Bolt, Prius or Leaf actually looked cool/interesting, I wouldn't mind driving one.

The Prius c is probably the closest to looking decent in the affordable EV/hybrid bracket but it's still got that odd Prius look.

Wow, I'm quite surprised people agree with me about the AMG One. I was getting ready to put my flame suit on since last time somebody brought up a hot take about the Dodge Demon, it got pretty heated in here.

The new Hyundai Ioniq looks pretty cool imo, wouldnt mind one.

I think the AMG One is cool, but its more because of the technical F1 porn in the car.

Top Bottom