• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Some Nobody

60a.jpg

AGE as a concept is amazing. AGE in practice, as a whole, is a abysmally executed mess. At least some of the gundam designs were good?

Precisely. Man I was so ready for a generational Gundam series. Part of the problem (one of many) is that
they didn't pull the trigger on making the first guy the villain they clearly meant to

Narag

Lies. Nanami has no fans

Everyone loves Nanami.

Precisely. Man I was so ready for a generational Gundam series. Part of the problem (one of many) is that
they didn't pull the trigger on making the first guy the villain they clearly meant to

I mean Flit didn't literally have to bomb the Vagan to be considered a villain even if he wasn't remembered as one. Terrible person wrecking his family and abusing government to commit genocide all in the name of avenging some girl he kindasorta knew for a few days as a kid is majorly fucked up.

Some Nobody

Everyone loves Nanami.

I mean Flit didn't literally have to bomb the Vagan to be considered a villain even if he wasn't remembered as one. Terrible person wrecking his family and abusing government to commit genocide all in the name of avenging some girl he kindasorta knew for a few days as a kid is majorly fucked up.

I'm rusty on AGE as its been...five years? Yeesh. But as I remember it, Flit got to
die of old age and be canonized in statue form, when he really should've died by the hands of his son and grandson who realized he was a monster that couldn't be stopped.

Narag

I'm rusty on AGE as its been...five years? Yeesh. But as I remember it, Flit got to
die of old age and be canonized in statue form, when he really should've died by the hands of his son and grandson who realized he was a monster that couldn't be stopped.

Yeah but that would have run contrary to the purpose of Kio and Asemu's roles where they spend 2/3 of the series pushing the idea that maybe genocide isn't the answer. How he was remembered was whatever since we knew the truth about him though.

I've a soft spot for the series partially because of how fascinating it could have been and all the missteps it suffered. Also because everyone kept expecting me to get mad while watching it when they telegraphed so much early on that I was mostly pleasantly surprised.

Narag come join me and DTL in the "Gundam AGE is ok box."

I never actually realized anything was all that off about Flit until he was a racist old man way cool with going genocide on an entire race cause some of their soldiers his childhood crush killed. I saw him as a somewhat aloof father at the mid-point of the series but didn't view him as a bad person per se.

Narag

I never actually realized anything was all that off about Flit until he was a racist old man way cool with going genocide on an entire race cause some of their soldiers his childhood crush killed. I saw him as a somewhat aloof father at the mid-point of the series but didn't view him as a bad person per se.

I actually do think it's. ok but I understand where fans come from with their very valid complaints. I'm still amused at how prescient my early impressions were though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Girl's Last Tour Episode 2:

I am unsure where I stand on this series as the world itself is surprisingly compelling and filled with questions that demand answering. On the other hand, this show is really fucking boring a points with an artstyle that is more hideous then charming.

daveo42

Banned

Yeah, they telegraphed that very hard and felt like maybe
Flit
shouldn't have gotten the send-off he did at the end of the series. It's not the only problem with the series (like how the generational stuff was actually handled or how meandering whole sections of the story were with little progression), but it's the most glaring. Again, I think AGE is an example of how to poorly execute on a real awesome concept.

Seriously, reading the description of AGE blew me away. It was so disappointing how everything played out.

Girls' Last Tour is one of those shows where the ED is better than the OP and the OP shouldn't exist in the first place.

But luckily the manga is so good that even a B-staff White Fox (oh boy) can't ruin the material.

Girls' Last Tour is one of those shows where the ED is better than the OP and the OP shouldn't exist in the first place.

But luckily the manga is so good that even a B-staff White Fox (oh boy) can't ruin the material.

The staff of Girls’ Last Tour is hardly B-tier, especially Mai Toda. It’s not their fault that Kadokawa sent over silly songs to be used as the OP and ED, just as they did with Made in Abyss.

Yeah, it's bad when I can't even watch it for the ship...

Decent premise, terrible execution, terrible characters, terrible CG, terrible dialogue, terrible ship, terrible, terrible, terrible.

I watched the entirety of the show when it first came out. Jesus fuck I have no idea why I sat through it.

Sterok

Girls' Last Tour 2

This really drives home how lifeless the world is. It's not just the lack of people. But we haven't seen any living animals. I don't think there's even been any plants. But even more concerning is the lack of dead things. The way a lot of buildings and systems are intact, plus flashbacks, it shouldn't be that long since everyone died. But until the fish I didn't see a dead anything. This isn't an exciting show, yet it's oddly compelling.

trejo

Just so you're aware, I expect to see plenty of pictures of this meet-up so I can experience it vicariously through all of you.

Have fun!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What is supposed to be a-tier White Fox? Unless you go back like seven years to Katanagatari....
please do not reply to this with bad white fox shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
MMO Junkie Episode 2:

There has been something bothering about this show and I finally realized what it was when I thought about what was requiring to make the premise work and that is this a story that feels at least ten years out of date. One of the central conceits is the question of those who lurk behind the mask of online anonymity at the reasons they may not be straitlaced with identification and there has not been any mention of social media. It is actually kind of an important point since not having those things would most likely be a generational gap and thus a whole new dimensional of social pressure. That aside they are really hitting the hammer that the BL Refugee might be Lily and that certainly would play into an interesting romantic dynamic given the age gap but I am half expecting him to be a red herring given the obviousness.

duckroll

ID-0 - Episode 4-12 (End)

Well that was pretty interesting. I thought some of the characters were kinda over the top, and climax was very much funneled into a single direct to make a point without all of it really making complete logical sense, but it was certainly a relatively unique piece of scifi. A lot of the scripting towards the second half reminded me of..... Fafner actually. :p

zulux21

yay Major 2 is getting a tv anime.

I wonder if it will get to follow in the original series footsteps and have a season each spring.

ID-0 - Episode 4-12 (End)

Well that was pretty interesting. I thought some of the characters were kinda over the top, and climax was very much funneled into a single direct to make a point without all of it really making complete logical sense, but it was certainly a relatively unique piece of scifi. A lot of the scripting towards the second half reminded me of..... Fafner actually. :p

It does get rather metaphysical at the end there.

Kansoku

Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - 2
This show is beautiful. The architecture and the whole draining system towards the end reminded me of Rain World. I hope we well get some flashbacks that explain what has happened to the world, I'm quite intrigued.

Kino no Tabi - 2
IMO this story worked much better then split as 2 eps like the original. Also, I had forgotten how much I like Hermes.

Taruranto

Kino is (This is not a spoiler, but w/ever)
a girl, it becomes pretty clear in the original series after a certain point.
I don't know if the other characters are aware of it, however.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2:

I certainly remember this story from thee old series and it was a two episode arc for some reason. That being said, given that it has been ages since I watched the old series I am not sure how they compare on scale but at the very least this was not a tale that needed splitting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Inuyashiki 01
Really unfortunate combination of poor art direction and weak voice work. The characters never look or feel as expressive as they should. This seems like the worst kind of power fantasy but maybe the direction of the story changes over time.

Inuyashiki 01
Really unfortunate combination of poor art direction and weak voice work. The characters never look or feel as expressive as they should. This seems like the worst kind of power fantasy but maybe the direction of the story changes over time.

It's by the author of Gantz so you should know what to expect lol.

DNAbro

MMO Junkie 2

I'm liking this more than last week. Pretty cute. The dream sequence was pretty unexpected, she must really hate working.

Tunoku

Watched the first episode of that anime with whale in the title and overall I'm into it so far. Visually, it looks really stunning, but J.C. Staff usually delivers on that front, I really like the backgrounds in this show. A lot can go wrong with the narrative though, so I'm gonna stay cautious.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Still really enjoyable. Kino is really awesome. Also is Kino's gender supposed to be unknown or ambiguous?

Supposed to be ambiguous but there is official confirmation as to her sex.

It's weird because in the old series a lot of characters seem to have intuited her sex iirc.

Top Bottom