• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers - So I know this tends to a highly contested "remake" of the series. Watched it last night after I got off of work and I did find the plot to be pretty convoluted. It did remind me of why Renton and Eureka are one of the my favorite anime couples though so I love that aspect. Holland also had better justification for being such a dick as well, so I was actually able to sympathize with him here.

So I finally watched the 1 hour One Piece special between Luffy and Sanji.

It really hit me hard on how special this series is to me. When they used the first ending song for the special I actually started to cry. Seriously nostalgia is a pain because man when they started showing scenes from the past adventures with the music applied I couldn't help but feel touched. I honestly can't believe how long this series has been going and still going strong.

Luffy's entire speech to Sanji was heartbreaking and it was even more powerful because of Luffy's voice actor. Props to her especially during the moment where Luffy's voice was straining.

It's gonna be really sad when One Piece ends. I can't really name any other series that has done the joy of adventure as well as One Piece.

Qurupeke

Garo Vanishing Line 2

Nice episode, showing the dynamics of the two protagonists. The Horror transformation scene was incredible. The anime continues to look amazing to me, though,the nauseous action is still present. I guess I just have to get used to it because I'm certainly enjoying else a lot.

Line_HTX

Soon

DMCJJpqW0AAWFBw

I'm in the time zone but 95 minutes until I reach Taipei for layover.

Hope I can see your house tonight, Mike!

😜😜😜

Narag

Garo: Vanishing Line 2

Luke & Sword stuff was kinda fun but while I'm certain they'll get io it given the eye catch and ED, I liked the balance Sophie bought to the show in the first ep and find myself looking for more of that.

Busaiku

Where are people getting the polygon stuff in Just Because.
It just seems like a long line to me.

The girl that Haruto likes didn't seem to show interest in anyone.

Szadek

Washio Sumi is a Hero - Ep. 2
Good episode.
Thier relationship and personalities of girls got more flesh out and the fights were decent as well.
The training at the beginning also made it pretty clear that they are team and that they are quite good at covering each others weaknesses.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Voltron: Legendary Defender Season 4, Episode 1:

Oh hey, so this dropped today, a bit unnoticed at that, at any rate, a good start to the season that see a temporary resolution to the spare pilot dilemma currently facing the team.

Taruranto

Garo #2

This is the MANLIEST anime of the season.

I expected Sophie to be your typical hyperactive genius hacker with a snotty attitude, instead she's just a genuinely nice girl possibility scared shitless of what's happening. Kinda refreshing.

Garo #2

This is the MANLIEST anime of the season.

I expected Sophie to be your typical hyperactive genius hacker with a snotty attitude, instead she's just a genuinely nice girl possibility scared shitless of what's happening. Kinda refreshing.

Sword isn't a bad protagonist despite being a pervy dudebro.

Sterok

Washio Sumi 2

Character development. Wasshi isn't quite as sharp as she'll one day be. Sonoko may be the leader, but Gin is the one actually carrying the team.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie Episode 2

Morioka and Sakurai’s interactions are really cute! Both online and offline. Can’t wait to them together more offline though.

daveo42

Banned
Half Priced Books is almost always a crap shoot when it comes to available anime. Saw the complete set of Get Backers and half considered picking it up but didn't. Also saw the box set for Final Fantasy Unlimited, a show I own in its entirety and watched most of, but remember nothing about it. Maybe I'll dig it out and remind myself if it was worth the crazy prices I paid for each DVD when they first came out.

Also considered buying Cat Girl Nuku Nuku until I saw they wanted $100 for it.

Gundam SEED Destiny - 34
I actually remember liking this fight a lot. For all the beamspam and instant kill victories that plague a lot of Destiny battles, this one had a lot more wacky creativity to it, like the shield bounce shot, firing the main body as a projectile, and splitting the legs off to dodge an attack.

I've never really been able to connect with sports anime. It probably comes from not being very athletic myself, but much of the time, their narrow focus on the minutiae of intricacies at the heart of their given sport makes me lose interest, especially if the human stories driving the action forward provide nothing particularly new in the long, well-cataloged history of sports stories throughout media all over the world. It was for that reason that despite my adoration of Shaft and my interest in shogi spawned from my many years spent learning chess with my father, I was still nervous that March Comes In Like a Lion would fail to connect with me on a deeper emotional level outside of an appreciation for its treatment of the sport. Thank goodness, then, that it's a really substantive human drama that is equally captivating when its characters are away from the shogi board, if not more so.

It was somewhat surprising just how much time Rei spends away from the shogi hall in the first half of the show overall, leading to what feels more like a drama with random sport-focused episodes here and there. The focus on his relationship with the Kawamoto sisters, as well as those with his adoptive family and fellow shogi professionals, take center stage as he struggles to find some semblance of purpose and direction. It's a remarkably personal story, one that I found hit very close to home, with me seeing myself in Rei's place only a few years ago. And Shaft's talent for finding methods to bring emotions out and animate them into the scene is second almost to none, even if that did end up feeling like it cranked up the melodrama in some scenes to near breaking point. Still, I was completely in love with the first cour, and felt it straddled the line between human and sport drama perfectly. It's a little bit of a shame that the Lion King Tournament arc that dominates most of the second half of the season ends up making it feel somewhat lopsided.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the second cour is bad. In fact, it's some of the best sports anime I've watched because it does what any fantastic chess drama does: focus on exploring what makes people at the very top tick, all the while providing a lens to see what awaits Rei when he eventually reaches that point in his own journey. It's fantastic stuff, especially thanks to Shaft's absolutely insane visual representation of these shogi battles that take full advantage of the animated medium their working in. But I couldn't help but feel that after the great establishing first cour, this was the show settling into a groove, providing so many characters, relationships, and elements that the show will easily be able to milk for another season at least, all without quite as much emotional payoff as the first half. That, and it's a real shame how little the Kawamoto sisters are in the second half. Considering how much of the emotional core of the show and the way they're framed as Rei's emotional anchor, the fact that they have so little involvement in this arc probably explains why I felt a little bored despite some of the excellent framing that went into everything this cour is setting up for the future of the series.

Outside of that, I don't have too much more I wanted to say. In regards to the comic direction of the show, I really love whoever it was who said, "Yes, we need all pets to have voiced lines and all sound effects should be voiced as well." It's such a subtle detail, but it feels like one of those accents that helps the comedy land so much more than it would normally considering just how dissonant it can feel with some of the show's heavier moments. Oh, and the music was surprisingly excellent as well, with a selection of some truly stunning pieces. All I can really say is I'm glad I looked past my prejudice towards sports anime and gave Sangatsu no Lion a shot. It's probably one of the best things I've watched in a while and I'm so thankful that I only have to wait mere hours now for more!

P.S. I could not make a post about this show and not include a gif or two of Momo, who reminds me so much of a friend's daughter I used to care for from time to time years ago. My heart melts every time she's on screen.

Kino's Journey Episode 2

LOL the talking bike is suprised at the talking dog. Man this series is a way more twisted than I expected it to be.

Tuck

Blood Blockade Battlefront Season 1 - Episode 12
What the fuck was this?

My god this episode went so fucking far up its own ass the horseshit started coming out its mouth. Though I suppose I should expose no less from the director of Kyousou Giga. It was a complete misunderstanding of what makes this show good.

Blood Blockade Battlefront works best when Leo is getting caught up in absurd, chaotic adventures with Libra. None of this philosophical bullshit has any place in this show. Period. All the time spent on this stupid Black/White nonsense could have been spent actually developing the characters.

At least it looked pretty. Damn pretty.

duckroll

GARO Vanishing Line - Episode 2

Waaaaaaaaaay better than episode 1. Having a second lead to play off seems to be the Garo formula. Going episodic with a human to horror story also makes the structure far more relatable. The action is still messy as hell, but there were some pretty cool scenes, and gun > sword.

Hope the show continues to pick up as more characters are introduced. The Garo bike design and gimmicks are BADASS.

Kino's Journey 02

Can't help but compare this to the same story from the original anime. About the only complaint I'd have is that Shizu's introduction is more sudden compared to how built up it was before. Aside from that, still enjoying it.

Riku still the best.

Jotakori

Kino's Journey ep2

I do not think this anime is for me. The bike and dog talking w/o explanation is just too jarring, the story beats don't seem to resonate with me, Kino and Hermes' dynamic isn't really fun or interesting, and yeah idk. Think this is the first fall 2017 anime chopping block victim for me. 8(

Recovery of an MMO Junkie ep2

This one, however, is absolutely for me and I'm still in love with how adorable it is. Gah, it just slays me! So cute!
And good lord how well I identify with Moriko lmAO I love her. From her bitching about having to go out, to her slight social anxiety, to the damn it now I need to rein in my eyebrows LMAO. Sakurai is also too cute for this world, and man just all the characters are really great.
Can't believe I've gotten myself swept up in a romance-y anime and I'm actually rooting for them jfk;sad

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I guess Buzz Feed does Vice-style videos now. This one is about the death of Ganguro Girl culture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VCYZTaagM

I haven't watched anime in a while, but I guess even in anime-land the Ganguro thing has pretty much disappeared. I wonder why it just stopped. It doesn't seem like there's a new counter-culture that has risen to take it's place anyway.

So I guess Buzz Feed does Vice-style videos now. This one is about the death of Ganguro Girl culture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3VCYZTaagM

I haven't watched anime in a while, but I guess even in anime-land the Ganguro thing has pretty much disappeared. I wonder why it just stopped. It doesn't seem like there's a new counter-culture that has risen to take it's place anyway.

Not all people react negatively to this. Take a look at these two white guys.

Jex

ID-0 - Episode 4-12 (End)

Well that was pretty interesting. I thought some of the characters were kinda over the top, and climax was very much funneled into a single direct to make a point without all of it really making complete logical sense, but it was certainly a relatively unique piece of scifi. A lot of the scripting towards the second half reminded me of..... Fafner actually. :p

One thing about ID-0 is that it depicts a world in which non-white people and women are in significant positions of power and authority. That doesn't really have barring on the story being depicted but I thought it was something of note.

Top Bottom