• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Disney Infinity, now owned by Warner) hiring for.. a UE4 Harry Potter RPG?

psyfi

Banned
I haven't cared much about HP since the last book came out ten years ago, but if this turns out good I'd still be excited.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This would make a lot of sense. Surprised Warner hasn't had a stronger push for Harry Potter games previously. That world is perfect for a large variety of games and the IP is enormous.

NMFried

Give me a realtime Harry Potter open-world RPG with a shared world a la Destiny.

Collect Fantastic Beasts. Get sorted. Learn spells. Never play any other game ever again.

Also hot damn, you need a ton of experience to work in any capacity in their studios. Can't find a single thing that didn't require at least three years of experience except for the intern positions and they're limited to only people still in school. It seems impossible to break in even at the smallest level, but I guess that means you have to create a job for yourself then instead of leaving it in someone else's hands.

Fou-Lu

Also hot damn, you need a ton of experience to work in any capacity in their studios. Can't find a single thing that didn't require at least three years of experience except for the intern positions and they're limited to only people still in school. It seems impossible to break in even at the smallest level, but I guess that means you have to create a job for yourself then instead of leaving it in someone else's hands.

This seems to be true for a lot of game dev jobs. As someone who is going to want to break into the industry in a year it's a bit scary.

Give me the following:

• Set in the time when the Hogwarts house wizards are still alive
  • Invent new spells
  • Fight dragons
  • Make story about an evil wizard/witch that they all have a reason to kill
  • Let me select to play as an acolyte of one of the house wizards

MarkusRJR

Damn now this is something I can get on board with. I adored the two previous GBC Harry Potter RPGs. Give me a modern WRPG with a Harry Potter theme and I'm down.

A well crafted Wizarding World RPG would be welcome. Even better if it steps away from following the designs of the films to the letter, as I think the films became a bit too...monotonous in their representation of magic and such by the end.

To help: Step away from Hogwarts and its students as the primary backdrop. Be an Auror in the Ministry or whatever the establishment in Fantastic Beasts is called (haven't seen it yet).

Edit: Not that a Hogwarts game would be bad or unwanted. However, it would be a bit too safe, uninspired, and can't see it being more of a retread of what has already been done both in the games and other mediums.

Fisty

Cant believe it took this long honestly. Would be awesome to see them build a Nemesis system and social links. I dont care for the IP at all but it has damn good potential for a high school VN/JRPG, hopefully it's not Arkham Hogwarts

Cartho

Maybe we're barking up the wrong tree here. Maybe they're making a game about the horrors of BREXIT. You have a choice of playable characters, each with different gameplay styles:

As Nigel Farage it's basically GTA except with more pubs. Whenever a news crew pops up you need find find the nearest run down old pub and start drinking pints whilst gurning at the camera.

As Boris Johnson it's more jokey affair, where you totter about the country, amusing idiots with your caperings and having to beat rhythm action game style QTEs to do stunts like zip lining over major events with flags in your hands. As you play more you unlock new ways of offending other countries, which can be pulled off with complex button combos. You have to be careful though as, if you fill the offense meter up too much, you'll be removed from office and have to spend the rest of the game in a luxury mansion drinking heavily and shouting at small animals from your window.

As Michael Gove you play a flashback type sequence where use the latest Azure Cloud powered physics tech to obliterate the UK education system. Then it skips forward and you also have to lie profusely to people and collect evidence from the open world about how evil the EU is. The final mission in Gove's campaign is to sneak in to the Houses of Parliament and murder everyone in your own party, with the eventual goal of seizing power for yourself.

This would be authentically British. It could work.

Isotropy

Remember the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone RPG on GameBoy Color? Memories...

It would be fantastic to have a full-scale Hogwarts HD RPG, maybe even one where you make your own character rather than just following Harry's storyline.

tsundoku

use Harry Potter to revive the real Paper Mario game engine

Watching Fantastic Beasts for the first time today opened Pandora's Box back up.

Fuck yes.
classic doctor who 2005 doctor who movie was fantastic
its an excellent replacement for how bad the series has become since clara oswin oswald and i hope they do sequels to that movie

--

e: for every one in this topic who seriously is expecting a harry potter rpg and will subsequently be hilariously disappointed maybe go check out ikenfell development posts
its a small kickstarter i backed a few months ago

Mortemis

Banned
This is straight from my list of dream games. A high quality HP game?

Sounds too good to be true. I'm not a hopeful person.

Machina

Banned
Absolutely incredible how I was just thinking about the untapped potential in HP video games just the other day, and how an open world RPG set in and around Hogwarts would be amazing.

Here it is lol Well maybe anyway. There is plenty of potential here. It could be very Persona like in the sense that you start as a 1st year, get sorted to a house, then just play out your entire time at the school all the way up to senior year.

SalvaPot

I need this in my life.

Unreal 4 probably means is coming to Switch too, hopefully. If its an open world game I'll love to have it on the go.

qtamir1

Neo Member
I really hope this is gonna be a HP game and i hope it's gonna be based on the Harry Potter years, and i don't want it to be an mmo... I hope it's a single player open world RPG...

would be amazing on my opinion...

Teletraan1

Banned
A harry potter rpg with a quasi persona setup built around the school years would be awesome. Having to build up social links with the various harry potter characters, the quidditch team, the faculty etc would be mindblowing.

KingParappa

Neo Member
Oh shit, I've said for years that Harry Potter would be perfect for a western take on Persona. Dividing your time between classes at Hogwarts and hanging with your friends in Hogsmeade while also going off on quests to stop the Death Eaters could potentially be an awesome game.

Yesssssss.

Kinda want it set after the HP years. Allow us to do our own thing, allowing the writing team to craft a new adventure. Call Jo now!

This seems to be true for a lot of game dev jobs. As someone who is going to want to break into the industry in a year it's a bit scary.

I would think QA Tester would be the easiest to get, but you need a year of experience to do that. No one wants to train anyone anymore.

li bur

Living the years of Harry Potter's hogwarts life in game is boring, I've experienced that in the books. Please make it a brand new story with lots of interesting new characters with homage here and there.

cjp

Err, don't they also have the LotR license?

Besides, I was under the impression that Rowling herself excises pretty tight control over this kind of stuff. Given the past claims of her turning down video game ideas or interfering with them too much I'm a little hesitant on this.

Edit: or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly going off this: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/a/86537

Edit 2: This 2013 press release from WB mentions video games for the Fantastix Beasts spin offs: http://deadline.com/2013/09/warner-...new-harry-potter-inspired-film-series-585122/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
New job, implies open world (which is probably obvious) along with an economy system (also probably obvious).

Avalanche said:
Senior Game Designer, Systems and Economy

Summary of Position:
Avalanche Software, a division of WB Games Inc. is seeking a veteran designer with a passion and gift for planning, communicating, tracking, and fine-tuning reward, economy loops and product narrative across many intricate game systems, to compel players to play for “just 5 more minutes,” forever. This position involves heavy collaboration with the Lead Designer and design teams to ensure that game experience targets are met and conveyed to various teams within our organization.

Avalanche Software was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment from Disney in 2016. The studio's first title under WBIE will be a companion video game to the upcoming Cars 3, in partnership with Warner Bros., Disney, and Pixar.

Job Responsibilities:
Attend and hold design meetings to identify core motivators in planned game systems.
Design and communicate the gameplay system and reward loops necessary to achieve a desired player experience.
Integrate systems design with character objectives and narrative structure.
Meet regularly with implementation teams to communicate vision and ensure that system and reward loop requirements are met.
Work with programming teams to ensure useful data is being generated to track design efficacy.
Track and tune systems / rewards relationships throughout production, to ensure targets are met.

Job Requirements:
Experience working in console game development, from start to finish, on multiple projects.
Experience with similar design responsibilities, on a large-scale console game project (the bigger the better).
Experience in designing systems or narrative for open-world, RPG, or branching-story structure games

Self-starter attitude, comfortable with identifying and fulfilling needs, sometimes with little direction.
Strong proficiency with tools to convey and track progress of design vision.
Strong verbal communication skills and comfort with collaboration.
Experience with other gaming disciplines (e.g., art, programming, audio) considered a bonus.
Source: https://careers.timewarner.com/tgwe...t=1&JobSiteId=36&JobSiteInfo=781319_36&GQId=0

Zero²

Make it as good as these

67502-Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets_(USA,_Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It,Pt,Nl,Sv,Da)-8.jpg

and I'm in freaking day zero. One of the funnest licensed games I ever played.
Damn this brings me memories...

jonno394

An open world Harry Potter reminiscent of Bully would be great. Explore Hogwarts, go to lessons, do stuff in your free time.

eXistor

I'd kill for a proper single player Harry Potter RPG done well (think Persona set in the Potterverse). I'd instantly lose all enthusiasm for it if it's online. It sounds like it's gonna be an MMO from that description.

/edit: lol I see I'm not the only one who thought of Persona :)

Hopefully it's like Shadow of Mordor where they're getting free reign to make new characters outside of the usual Potter timeframe, though I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom