• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche:fans who want Max to have an Aussie accent in Mad Max Game: It shall be so.

stop being ridiculous, there are a few different versions of the movie, one of them dubbed, and a great many people saw that one

Eh? There's two versions of the original and the English dub only existed in the US, where it languished as a niche cult movie that few saw. That's the reason MM2 was rebranded as simply 'The Road Warrior' in the US. Not to mention, for the last decade Television airings for MM1 have only been using the original Aussie version.

Lombax

Banned
Andy.jpg

IvorB

Because..the..character..was..in..Australia.

Yes, that's what typically makes someone Australian. But he doesn't stop being Australian when he leaves the country. Or were they making a brand new character that is unrelated to the one in the movies? If so then why call him Mad Max? Mad Max is Australian no matter what country he finds himself in.

Yes, that's what typically makes someone Australian. But he doesn't stop being Australian when he leaves the country. Or were they making a brand new character that is unrelated to the one in the movies? If so then why call him Mad Max? Mad Max is Australian no matter what country he finds himself in.

You don't know how remakes work? That's cool. I thought you were playing at being daft, but I really don't think you understand whats going on with the IP.

Lunar15

Why?

stop being ridiculous, there are a few different versions of the movie, one of them dubbed, and a great many people saw that one, doesn't change the content of the game, and its easily amended as we can see now.

It's troubling because it makes one wonder how faithful they're going to be to the source. Mad Max is distinctly Australian. Taking that away would be like giving Indiana Jones a British accent, or James Bond an Asian accent.

IvorB

You don't know how remakes work? That's cool. I thought you were playing at being daft, but I really don't think you understand whats going on with the IP.

No, I actually don't to be honest. That's why I'm asking. This is the first I am hearing of this game. This supposed to be some kind of remake? Are they making Mad Max an American? Typical.

It's troubling because it makes one wonder how faithful they're going to be to the source. Mad Max is distinctly Australian. Taking that away would be like giving Indiana Jones a British accent, or James Bond an Asian accent.

Funny you should mention a British accent.
comes out without a hitch..Yeah.

zma1013

Good stuff. There can never be enough aussie accents for me, I love em. I want an aussie accent. Where do I buy one?

No, I actually don't to be honest. That's why I'm asking. This is the first I am hearing of this game. This supposed to be some kind of remake? Are they making Mad Max an American? Typical.

In Japan He's called Kenshiro and he's Japanese (tongue in cheek). Usually, Them's the breaks with remakes, but no, its still set in Australia..but the lead is not Australian.

Avalanche is based in Sweden. Sooooooo... what are you trying to say?

IvorB

In Japan He's called Kenshiro and he;s Japanese (tongue in cheek). Usually, Them's the breaks with remakes, but no, its still set in Australia..but the lead is not Australian.

He he! Kenshiro "Mad Max" Osaka. What nationality is he then? American? I thought you said it wasn't set in Oz...

Cool!
I wish Ubisoft did this with Blacklist.

Maybe if enough people complain, Sucker Punch can take that ridiculous snow hat off of the Infamous dude.

Bedlam

Avalanche is based in Sweden. Sooooooo... what are you trying to say?
Crytek is based in Germany and they Americanized Crysis 2/3 to hell and back in an attempt to conquer the American market. Of course, being behind the times and all, they missed the point when everyone grew sick of the NY setting and severed Statue of Liberty heads.

Excessive pandering to the US market seems to be a favorite modus operandi for many "foreign" developers that are desperate to reach AAA status.

As a European (German) gamer, I wish developers would stop doing that and instead follow their own and hopefully unique creative visions. In the long run it's better to set yourself apart instead of conforming to perceived mass market standards. Strive to become CD Project instead of Crytek!

Crytek is based in Germany and they Americanized Crysis 2/3 to hell and back in an attempt to conquer the American market. Of course, being behind the times and all, they missed the point when everyone grew sick of the NY setting and severed Statue of Liberty heads.

Excessive pandering to the US market seems to be a favorite modus operandi for many "foreign" developers that are desperate to reach AAA status.

As a European (German) gamer, I wish developers would stop doing that and instead follow their own and hopefully unique creative visions. In the long run it's better to set yourself apart instead of conforming to perceived mass market standards. Strive to become CD Project instead of Crytek!

Great points... wasn't thinking of it like that.

KeRaSh

As an American born and raised in Germany I grew up with the German dubbed version of the trilogy.
For the last 10 years I've watched pretty much everything with the original voices because I hate bad translations. Mad Max 1 however is an exception. I'm having a really hard time with the Aussie accent so I personally wouldn't mind an americanization of the voices or at least a toned down Australian version. I do understand that people who don't have issues understanding the accent would prefer the original voice direction.
Since I always import my games from the UK I might be on the bad end of this deal if the go for an over the top Down Under accent.
However, it wouldn't make or break the game for me. I hated the voice acting in JC2 and still loved the game. I still hope that the voice acting in JC2 was intentionally shitty. If not then I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

IvorB

Neh, He's British, at least his actor is.. had to recheck my sources, my bad -__-

No worries. Doesn't really tell us what the character's nationality will be. That's weird though. Who thinks to themselves to make a Mad Max game with a protagonist who's not Autralian. Did they not see the movies?

Now watch them go full Steve Irwin for the accent...

Don't go dissing Bolo and the rrreeapers.
Funny thing, even if the acting was cheesy, the accents were done by people from various parts of South East Asia. I think the lady who played Bolo got a bit of attention in Singapore, where she originally came from.

JDSN

Banned
All the lines of dialog will be done by professional comedian Gilbert Gottfried pretending to be drunK Mel Gibson.

Fuck, id pay $20 for that DLC.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I've only seen the first movie with the shitty and obvious dubbing. Would be funny if they offered that as a voice option.

This is the way I saw the movie when I was young. Because it was clearly dubbed, for years I assumed the movie (and by extension Mel Gibson) was German. I don't know why I thought German, but I did.

Top Bottom