• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Veelk

Banned
I'm reading a book with a character called Kataria, which always trips me up for a half second, not helped by the fact that they're literally nothing alike. So I get funny imaginings like Katara biting off a dude's ear and then spitting it in another dude's face.

It's actually kinda fun to imagine this book replaced with TLA characters

Toph began to yell something to him when she felt hands around her arms, hoisting her to her feet. She instinctively lashed out and struck a cheek with a flailing fist. A very familiar snarl met her. She whirled and saw Katara standing behind her, glaring.

”You're all right," Toph said, relieved.

”Yeah." The waterbender drew back a fist and smashed it against Toph's jaw. ”You, too."

Aang turned to the inferno raging before him. ”We need to move. Grab Sokka, tell Zuko to break off, and we'll run for the gates."
”Run?" Zuko shouted to be heard over his own fire. ”Did we not already discard this idea?"
”It's a demon," Aang screamed back. ”You can't kill it with fire!"
”The common misconception of the common man, I assure you," the boy shouted louder as his fire burned brighter, hotter, stronger. ”Fire. Solves. EVERYTHING!"

But then she realizes Kuvira is too independent and then they fight.
Kuvira and Azula seem to have similar mental hang ups any way. Kuvira only played strong, she's got the same attachment issues Azula has so in the end they'd fight briefly with one of them coming back to apologize.

I know I ain't shit. But you all are supposed to be he voices of reason when we go on our shopping fantasies.
I guess even the voices of reason want to see Kuvira and Azula smang.
667e33393e95efe51f3899b5ebe69bbb.jpg

4bb7b70bb84aaa73b4095048a8350437.jpg
These two need more fan art together...

Veelk

Banned
Just finished Voltron season 2.

If this is what an avatar show would look like on Netflix, they need to get on that yesterday.

So what part of the Korra team is working on that show again? Is it just the animation studio and voice directors or something?

From my understanding, it's pretty much Team Avatar (or, more specifically, Team Korra) minus Bryan and Mike. Lauren Montgomery, Joaquim dos Santos, and I believe Ryu Ki Hyun are heading it up, and Studio Mir is on the animation again. A bunch of the writers and concept artists have also returned, IIRC.

Heads up, the Nick Animation podcast recently did another episode centered around Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. It features Bryan and Jeremy and focuses on the music throughout both series. Definitely recommend.

Trey

Heads up, the Nick Animation podcast recently did another episode centered around Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. It features Bryan and Jeremy and focuses on the music throughout both series. Definitely recommend.

so when is the Korra complete soundtrack coming out, how bow dah?

Never knew this thread was here what up guys.

Last episode of the Nick animation podcast was really cool.
Also the other day I saw the Korra blu-ray set at best buy. Hope they decide to put one out for Avatar too.

congrats on scoring one of the mondo prints

That was all you, honestly. I wouldn't have even known about it if you hadn't posted about it in here. Thanks!

Never knew this thread was here what up guys.

Last episode of the Nick animation podcast was really cool.
Also the other day I saw the Korra blu-ray set at best buy. Hope they decide to put one out for Avatar too.

Welcome! I've all but given up hope on an ATLA Blu-Ray ever coming, but who knows, maybe it'll release one day along with the full ATLA and Korra OSTs...

But the Avatar came, though.

Just not when they wanted.

The soundtrack will come.

Any day, now...

Veelk

Banned
How is Voltron so far? Besides the look that is.

Sorry for the late reply.

It's first season is good, it's second is better. One of my friends is super obsessed with it. For whatever, it doesn't have that spark for me that leads me to shoving it down everyone's throat, but it's very, very competently written and acted.

And it's hard to describe in concrete terms, but you very much see the DNA of Korra in it. Most blatantly is Hunk, whose basically an book-smart Bolin. You can see pieces of Mako split in Keith and Lance, both in terms of design and personality. You see bits and pieces of Asami in Allura. Not much of Korra anywhere in there, ironically enough.

It also notice that it has similar weaknesses to Korra, like "Boy I really want a special ability" and by wanting it, they get it based on a really flimsy pretense/mysticism or something like that. I don't know if I'm just getting too old, but I tend to want semi-hard science in my scifi. Not so much that it overwhelms the story, but I'm not a fan of stuff that's blatant space magic.

HOWEVER, it hides or works with those weaknesses MUCH better. Partially, that's my fault. I don't know or care enough about Voltron's universe to get worked up about them getting powers the way they do like I did with TLA's world. And it's aided by the fact that it's accompanied by legitimate character development. Similarly, I may not like space magic, but there are benefits to having it and it inspires a fantastical sense of wonder and awe when you see the battles.

Generally speaking, it just feels like a rock solid saturday morning cartoon. I think anyone who likes Voltron would like it, and I think anyone who is just looking to be entertained would leave very satisfied. It does solid work and despite what I just said above, it doesn't really have any major weakpoint (Unlike the bullshit power gain isn't used on narratively critical junctions, like how Korra gained the ability to use airbending in the critical final battle against Amon, for example, so I'm not gonna get as mad about it). It just didn't make me into a fanatic. I give it a recommendation, just not a YOU MUST WATCH THIS NOW! one.

Best way I can sell it to you is to say that you can learn to understand Legend of Korra a bit better by seeing the same team try to work on another adventure show, but with different things going on. 7 characters instead of 5, Sentai Sci-fi instead of Urban Steampunk Asian Fantasy, giant lion robots instead of bending. But the fundamentals, the acting, the humor, the plot tension, it's got the feel of LoK, just much, much better.

The thing I want to know is if they weren't able to make do what they did here with LoK because of creative stress and constraints that Nick placed on them, or was it that they just weren't that good at their crafts back then and LoK was a learning experience that lead to Voltron.

Trey

Animation is pretty rough though. It's drawn well, like korra on a good day. But it's not nearly as fluid in motion, especially the fighting scenes.

it's still good though. I'd give it a recommendation, although the plot isn't amazing or anything. as a spiritual successor to the Legend of Korra, I like it well enough.

Veelk

Banned
Animation is pretty rough though. It's drawn well, like korra on a good day. But it's not nearly as fluid in motion, especially the fighting scenes.

it's still good though. I'd give it a recommendation, although the plot isn't amazing or anything. as a spiritual successor to the Legend of Korra, I like it well enough.

Maybe, but I didn't notice because it rarely tries to pull off the same kind of marial arts that LoK did. Keith and Shiro are combatants and that's basically it. No one else needs flashy fight scenes.

Top Bottom