• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Community |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

-Deimos

image.php

veelk 2.0 incomming

He's evolved. Now his Veelks will be 2x longer.

I don't mind them going on vacation to the spirit realm, but they need to fit in some disturbing shit in there while they're at it.

I am never comfortable with magic realms of wierdness unless they have atleast a few things that make me pause.

So something straight out of The Sandman series? Although the only disturbing thing in terms of landscapes that I recall is the depiction of hell.

Hopefully they deviate away from cutesy design of spirits, doubtful though.

Veelk

Banned
So something straight out of The Sandman series? Although the only disturbing thing in terms of landscapes that I recall is the depiction of hell.

Hopefully they deviate away from cutesy design of spirits, doubtful though.

Hell is more horrific than merely disturbing. I would say Dream's Dreamscape is more disturbing, because it's not meant to be evil like Hell is. It can and will harm you, but it's not hostile. It's intentions are vague, shifting, and unknown. The Dreamscape is just alien and weird. That makes it unsettling in a way that Hell isn't. That's what I want whenever I go to magic realms.

Toa TAK

Banned
Comic is out in June. Not too long of a wait now.

Also just dropping by that there's still hope for the soundtrack. If a soundtrack can come out FOURTEEN YEARS later for a DIRECT-TO-DVD film based on a toyline then surely another Korra soundtrack has a chance.

Veelk

Banned
I wonder if Avatar will eventually have a Samurai Jack-esque revival. As I said, I'd like to see a third series about it. (And I still think it'd be cool to move the timeline forward and have it take place in the future with a stronger emphasis on scifi).

Also, for anyone who hasn't, go watch the new Samurai Jack.

At some time I need to carve out some time for Samurai Jack and at least Jack came back to a network that still respects it. Netflix would have to buy it off of Nick or something. Next Avatar should be the offspring of some cracked out femslash ship.

I wonder if Avatar will eventually have a Samurai Jack-esque revival. As I said, I'd like to see a third series about it. (And I still think it'd be cool to move the timeline forward and have it take place in the future with a stronger emphasis on scifi).

Also, for anyone who hasn't, go watch the new Samurai Jack.

I would love to see a cyberpunk avatar series.

-Deimos

Going down the rabbit hole of ATLA YouTube clips reminded me of how shitty the quality of those clips are. I'll never understand why Nick hates this series so much.

You wanted some news about the comics guys?

Well here I am to bring it to you.

IT GOT DELAYED!!!!!

tumblr_omzo0ixRbK1qhvkspo1_1280.jpg

Now it's releasing on July 26th (Direct Market) and August 8th (Book Market)

I'd have to rewatch the older episodes first because I hardly remember anything about it. So that's making me hold it off a bit.

Personally, I don't think you really need to watch the older episodes to watch the first episode of season 5 of Samurai Jack. Although, if you feel the need watch the older episodes. Just the first three episodes and maybe Episode XXXII: Jack and the Travelling Creatures would be sufficent.

Veelk

Banned
It's actually really been a while. A loooooooooong while.

I just finished my Samurai Jack rewatch. Maybe I should rewatch Avatar.

And I'd be rewatching the entirety of Avatar, both TLA and LoK, so that's a lot. Not sure if I want to do that or watch something new first.

Edit: also, if they were to announce a new avatar series, I think I've gotten so attached to my own idea of a sci-fi avatar that I'll be a little disappointed by anything else.

Veelk

Banned
BTW, did you guys like Hunger Games but wanted it to have more complex plotting, characterization, morality, and just be all around better?

Go read Red Rising.

Veelk

Banned
Does this come in the form of an anime?

Books. They're good for you. Get some literature in your diet.

What it is is basically a dystopian scifi setting where young kids are pitted against each other in deadly games. That's the premise and if you want to go into it blind, that's as deep a description I'm willing to give. But if you want something more, I'll do that, I'll just spoiler it.

In the future, Society has been divided into a hierarchy based on colors. Colors indicate what kind of job you will do for the rest of your life. Golds sit at the top and rule over all other colors, while Reds are at the bottom as worker slaves. This heirarchy allows the Golds to act as monsters, and there is a rebellion movement stirring under the depths.

Darrow's wife wasn't part of any rebellion, but because she sang a song she wasn't supposed to, they executed her. They were going to execute Darrow as well, but instead he was rescued and offered a chance: Help over throw the Society from within and free the reds by becoming a Gold and destroying them from within. And his first step is to win at the Institute, where they train their Golds into Warlords to maintain their rule.

But like I said, it's better than Hunger games. And that's not to shit on Hunger games. I only saw the first movie, so idk how the other are, but I read the books, and I liked the hunger games, but I wasn't crazy about them. I put them down thinking "Well, that was pretty alright." They'd be a 7/10 if I were to use a numerical ranking system. Not bad in any way, and even good in parts, but they didn't stand out in nay particular way either.

Red Rising is 10/10. It's written in a stream of conciousness type of prose that really gets into the head of the main character, Darrow, really well and has a lot of characters that are complex, interesting, and fun. It's smart, it's brutal, and it's very much worth reading.

The only thing I will leave you is the first page sample. I won't spoiler this because it's....well, if you were to read it, its' literally the first thing you'll see. I don't consider that a spoiler:

I would have lived in peace. But my enemies brought me war.

I watch twelve hundred of their strongest sons and daughters. Listening to a pitiless Golden man speak between great marble pillars. Listening to the beast who brought the flame that gnaws at my heart.

”All men are not created equal," he declares. Tall, imperious, an eagle of a man. ”The weak have deceived you. They would say the meek should inherit the Earth. That the strong should nurture the gentle. This is the Noble Lie of Demokracy. The cancer that poisoned mankind."

His eyes pierce the gathered students. ”You and I are Gold. We are the end of the evolutionary line. We tower above the flesh heap of man, shepherding the lesser Colors. You have inherited this legacy," he pauses, studying faces in the assembly. ”But it is not free.

”Power must be claimed. Wealth won. Rule, dominion, empire purchased with blood. You scarless children deserve nothing. You do not know pain. You do not know what your forefathers sacrificed to place you on these heights. But soon, you will. Soon, we will teach you why Gold rules mankind. And I promise, of those among you, only those fit for power will survive."

But I am no Gold. I am a Red.

He thinks men like me weak. He thinks me dumb, feeble, subhuman. I was not raised in palaces. I did not ride horses through meadows and eat meals of hummingbird tongues. I was forged in the bowels of this hard world. Sharpened by hate. Strengthened by love.

He is wrong.

None of them will survive.

Veelk

Banned
The time investment and it seems to just be strictly book books. I can read and enjoy a good manga.

Well, the solution to that is audiobooks.

I was a snob and didn't consider audiobooks to be 'real' reading until college where I was basically forced to do it because of all the time I spent walking between classes was time I couldn't read.

Turns out it's just as good as, with the only weakness being that it's not as fast. But being able to listen to a story while I walked around or did chores basically changed the game for me. And then I read a study that showed that people have as good a comprehension of audiobooks as they did reading, so there's basically no downside to them unless the narrator is bad.

And Red Rising has a REALLY good audiobook narrator.

caliph95

I started listening to audiobooks for the rivers of london series due to the time investment. I can nowadays usually read comics and manga. an audiobook will allow me to multitask

Top Bottom