• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks launches racist, homophobic tirade against Zayn Malik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's still different based on the area of the US? Maybe not in the DC area? My non-Asian friends use that too from time to time just as short hand for Pakistani.
I'm not even sure if there are enough Pakistani people here to warrant a slur for them. lol

your friends are a bunch of ignorant morons that's why. lol.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Like many words, it's really dependent on the usage.

If my girlfriends greeted me with "hey girl how are you," it'd be very different than if a random guy on the street was saying "hey girl show me your tits!"

Are you crazy? Hahaha get outta here. If I called someone a Paki, even I was friends with them, I'd be likely to get punched in the face. What a ridiculous comparison.

Skii

Are you crazy? Hahaha get outta here. If I called someone a Paki, even I was friends with them, I'd be likely to get punched in the face. What a ridiculous comparison.

I love how there's just a bunch of posts on this thread casually justifying racism or promoting the fact their friend groups are extraordinarily ignorant.

Whilst I have posted here about how offensive Paki is in the UK people shouldn't assume that that means it is offensive everywhere. If south-asians from the US are saying that it carries no weight as a slur where they live, then that's fine, it's doesn't have the same connotations that it does in the UK. Similar to how the word 'oriental' is considered racist in the states but fine in the UK (AFAIK anyway).

The problem we have here is that we have an American using the word against a British South-Asian. You can argue that whilst it may have been offensive to him, she may not have understood that. However, given the other UK references she has dropped and her track record, my guess is that she knew exactly what she was doing.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Whilst I have posted here about how offensive Paki is in the UK people shouldn't assume that that means it is offensive everywhere. If south-asians from the US are saying that it carries no weight as a slur where they live, then that's fine, it's doesn't have the same connotations that it does in the UK. Similar to how the word 'oriental' is considered racist in the states but fine in the UK (AFAIK anyway).

The problem we have here is that we have an American using the word against a British South-Asian. You can argue that whilst it may have been offensive to him, she may not have understood that. However, given the other UK references she has dropped and her track record, my guess is that she knew exactly what she was doing.

I'm Canadian and have known the word to be a slur my entire life, America cannot be that different. And of course Banks was using it a slur, she's a racist lunatic.

8bit

Knows the Score
Here's what happened when the NME asked a bunch of people what their favourite album was :

CiUrFRpWEAARGIp.jpg

jorma

is now taking requests

For context, according to the op she said: "faggot paki refugee sandnigger"

If that is your guess, i think it's a pretty good guess.

BibiMaghoo

I wasn't around GAF at the time, but wasn't there a bit of a commotion around the NPC called packie in GTA 4? With how similar the name sounded to the insult.
Was this not a topic then? I thought this would have brought attention about the word to non-UK members.

Don't know if it had a thread but that was a non-issue for anyone over the age of 12 that understood they were different words. Packie is a common Irish shorthand for Patrick. The characters name was Patrick.

Piichan

Banned
It's making it really hard to keep liking those two songs of her I think are kinda ok. Other than that, fuck her.

I mean Liquorice is a good song. Why did she have to be so fucking stupid goddammit. She could've had a decent carreer.

milanbaros

Member?

She used it the same sentence as sandnigger...

NYR

Jesus Christ. This post. Wow.

It's completely different in NYC (at least where I live), it's not considered an insult/slur here at all.
No, it isn't different. It is a slur used to insult people, you have no experience with the word and the context it is used. Worse, you likely hang out with a lot of ignorant people.

vypek

Had no clue that Paki was a slur. Thought people used it as a shorthand/abbreviation. But I guess I haven't seen it used that often anyways.

NYCrooner

In what state or country is she actually a thing? I've never heard any of her music on NYC radio. I'm genuinely interested.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
"Paki" was always used as a synonym for the corner shop where I grew up (UK). Really fucked me up when I learned that it was a slur and not just "the guys who run the shop on the corner".

Reset

No, it isn't different. It is a slur used to insult people, you have no experience with the word and the context it is used. Worse, you likely hang out with a lot of ignorant people.
Er seeing as I'm brown myself, it's always used a short way to identify yourself here. If someone asked me, what I was/where I'm from, I'd say Paki, and all my friends that had families come from Pakistan would say the same thing. It was never associated with an insult. :|
I doubt anyone is going to punch you or confront you if you say Paki in NYC, they're most likely not going to care.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
SO i never heard one of this chicks songs... I ONLY hear about her when she goes on tirades on twitter... I thought she was just a socialite... like kim K , Paris and other people like that.

this chick really has music that people listen to on a daily basis?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nigger never really caught on here as the go-to slur against blacks. We also had wog, sambo, darkie and coon so it never took on the same menace as paki did for south Asians.

Probably because black people are like 1% of the population and south asians are much more common.

Aegus

What? No it isn't. Paki is a derogatory term for Asian (well, Asian-looking) people, not black people.

Can't believe I have to explain this, but the context of this thread implies that he was referring to the intent of the word Paki being the same as Nigger. Not the actual group being slurred.

LNBL

In high school I know that there was a group of friends who called one of their friends Pako, this is in The Netherlands. I actually always thought it was an abbrevation back then, until I got older and learned that Paki was something negative.

Hagi

Had no clue that Paki was a slur. Thought people used it as a shorthand/abbreviation. But I guess I haven't seen it used that often anyways.

People don't even use it for people who are from Pakistan here (Scotland) they just use it for anyone who remotely looks south asian.

"Paki" was always used as a synonym for the corner shop where I grew up (UK). Really fucked me up when I learned that it was a slur and not just "the guys who run the shop on the corner".

This threw me for a loop when I realised what was going on with it's usage. Same goes for chinky for chinese takeouts.

So why not type your thoughts in response instead of this bullshit?

Not exactly offering up much yourself.

Don't know if it had a thread but that was a non-issue for anyone over the age of 12 that understood they were different words. Packie is a common Irish shorthand for Patrick. The characters name was Patrick.

I get what you mean about it being different spellings, but I remember hearing it said and was like WTF? Plus whatever site or YouTube video I saw at the time mentioned the name with a "yeah, you heard it right" kind of attitude. Can't remember the exact details, it must be like 7-8 years ago now?
Never heard it said as a short hand for Patrick, I always heard paddy or patsy being used.

Maybe it's still different based on the area of the US? Maybe not in the DC area? My non-Asian friends use that too from time to time just as short hand for Pakistani.
I'm not even sure if there are enough Pakistani people here to warrant a slur for them. lol

I live in the DC area.

Paki is a slur.

No body would dare call a Pakistani person Paki, everyone knows its derogatory.

Skii

Er seeing as I'm brown myself, it's always used a short way to identify yourself here. If someone asked me, what I was/where I'm from, I'd say Paki, and all my friends that had families come from Pakistan would say the same thing. It was never associated with an insult. :|
I doubt anyone is going to punch you or confront you if you say Paki in NYC, they're most likely not going to care.

So you have ignorantly been perpetuating a racist slur directed at yourself...

Reset

So you have ignorantly been perpetuating a racist slur directed at yourself...

Er do you not understand, it's not really considered a slur here well at least in Brooklyn/Manhattan. It's more of a pride thing around here. Just wondering do you live around the NYC area and are brown? If not then that's pretty hilarious.

Galang

Banned
Paki has always been a slur when I was growing up in Toronto. No matter the rightful usage I'll always view it as such no matter what anyone says. And either way the context she used it in was clearly meant to be racist... And her apology is just... Lock her up already

BibiMaghoo

I get what you mean about it being different spellings, but I remember hearing it said and was like WTF? Plus whatever site or YouTube video I saw at the time mentioned the name with a "yeah, you heard it right" kind of attitude. Can't remember the exact details, it must be like 7-8 years ago now?
Never heard it said as a short hand for Patrick, I always heard paddy or patsy being used.

Yeah Paddy is far more common for sure. If the character had been of a brown complexion then it would have been a far more serious issue, but I don't see R* being that stupid, even in the name of satire.

The difference in the ways people seem to view the word is fascinating, if not a little sad at times. From my position, the intent of the word and its use has never ever been about shortening Pakistani. Not ever, because no one calls someone their birth country as an insult, and that is the only context it is used in here. When a place of birth is used as an insult, in every example I can think of it is accompanied with an addition slur or qualifier instead, for example as someone that lives in wales 'sheep shagger' is common, or joskin, both using attributes of the country, but calling me 'a fucking welshman' doesn't really insult anyone if you get me.*

Paki is 'you are brown therefore you are this'. It doesn't exist in a form other than racism here.

*I'm not Welsh I just live here ok. Yes the sheep are plentiful, and the trousers too short.

I wonder why it took this long for companies to distance themselves from her. She's pissed off other artists from working with her but she still had plenty of resources to put new music out. This isn't nearly her first rodeo with racist/homophobic/problematic-shit-in-general comments. This is quite a blow for her though, I'm sure that a sizable amount of whatever fanbase she had was in the UK.

I wonder why it took this long for companies to distance themselves from her. She's pissed off other artists from working with her but she still had plenty of resources to put new music out. This isn't nearly her first rodeo with racist/homophobic/problematic-shit-in-general comments. This is quite a blow for her though, I'm sure that a sizable amount of whatever fanbase she had was in the UK.
Racist hate speech is taken very seriously in the UK, especially when it comes to racial slurs like "Paki". Trump-like hate speech isn't tolerated in the UK like it is in the US.

Dad

Is "Saudi" an appropriate demonym or does it have racist connotations too? Genuinely asking because I have no idea

lenovox1

Racist hate speech is taken very seriously in the UK, especially when it comes to racial slurs like "Paki". Trump-like hate speech isn't tolerated in the UK like it is in the US.

Well, that, and I know I didn't pay attention to this until it was brought up on PopGAF after a she attacked a 14 year old girl. Of course, little did Banks know that the little girl had plenty of time for her, but I digress.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What? No it isn't. Paki is a derogatory term for Asian (well, Asian-looking) people, not black people.

Equivalent in that its a commonly used racist term, that can get you arrested for using it

Not that people call black people Pakis in the UK, that wasn't my point at all

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I grew up in Scotland with a lot of Pakistani friends. The word was used a lot but mostly by Pakistanis to identify other Pakistani people or things in contrast to or to specify the difference between say, the Indian or Bengali version. I never had call to use it nor did I feel entitled to and it was absolutely used as a racist term too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom