• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks launches racist, homophobic tirade against Zayn Malik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paki is a slur now? Wat? When did that happen? Is it a British thing? Pakistanis in America call themselves Paki all the time (me included).

It's been a slur at least since I was a kid, and you'd have to be dumb as a brick not to realise she was throwing it out as an insult.

LNBL

Awesome

80e78d701ac6d1f0a92e761aaf0edd37.png

BibiMaghoo

Surprised at the confusion over the words offensiveness. Here in the UK, it is on par with calling a black person a nig, or any other top tier racist shit. It is not at all friendly or acceptable, and is used by racists to be hateful.

Strangely enough in exactly the way Banks used it. She is a fucking vile woman, and I really don't give a shit if she is mentally ill or not, because it doesn't license, mitigate or excuse her hate.

RiZ III

Paki is definitely not a slur word in the US. American Pakistanis use it all the time. Of course she said a lot of other shit in her rant than just paki though,

Paki is definitely not a slur word in the US. American Pakistanis use it all the time. Of course she said a lot of other shit in her rant than just paki though,

Yeah, It's a bit like Thug which is a racial slur in the US but not in the UK where it just means violent piece of shit.

NEO0MJ

Japanese people understand it to be a slur and sure as hell dont use it for 'convenience'. Its not similar at all.

I meant that someone who doesn't know that the word us a slur might use it as a shorthand for Japanese, ignorant of what it means. Like saying cap instead of Captain. Not everyone knows the slurs of every language or culture.

Edit: I feel that there's a big misunderstanding happening between us. I'll have to go back on our conversation and see where I went wrong.

FoxSpirit

I think she wants attention, which is exactly what she gets from this. Bad publicity is better than no publicity.
That's completely untrue. It has to be the right kind of bad publicity or you have to have a clever followup that will eliminate the actual bad of the old and use the newfound publicity for something positive.

This kind of negative with no plan behind it can easily wreck careers. You gotta be scandalous and glamorous, not a honest to goodness hatefilled asshole.

That's completely untrue. It has to be the right kind of bad publicity or you have to have a clever followup that will eliminate the actual bad of the old and use the newfound publicity for something positive.

This kind of negative with no plan behind it can easily wreck careers. You gotta be scandalous and glamorous, not a honest to goodness hatefilled asshole.

I don't think it's untrue at all. If she wasn't a hate filled asshole, nobody would even know who she was. Some people prefer infamy to not being known at all. She's clearly decided this is her path to remain in the spotlight as long as possible. I'm not saying it's a good path, or one I would choose, or one that will have any staying power, but it keeps her name in the blogosphere. Maybe she can parlay this into a stint on VH1 Celebrity Rehab or some shit, but that's the road she's on.

studyguy

These 14 year olds keep getting more and more savage every year, smh.
Only a matter of time till one of them caught a body through 140 characters of ether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom