• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azealia Banks launches racist, homophobic tirade against Zayn Malik

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is it a technically a lie though?

If you're not offended by anything, nobody can offend you. That's all I'm saying.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are certain things people shouldn't say, but I think the statement is actually correct.

Yes it's technically a lie. Being offensive is on the sayer and not the hearer. Of course intent matters too. But going around cursing people out is not nice.

And what might not offend you might offend others that are around you. I look at offensive speech similar to 2nd hand cigarette smoke.

Back then I liked that video (song) of hers that got her famous: Am I still allowed to watch it?

I still think Roman Polanski is a great director, if you only allowed yourself to be exposed to art from good people you'd have very little art in your life.

That said, I can't listen to this trashfire again.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Yes it's technically a lie. Being offensive is on the sayer and not the hearer. Of course intent matters too. But going around cursing people out is not nice.

And what might not offend you might offend others that are around you. I look at offensive speech similar to 2nd hand cigarette smoke.

Hear me out. I agree with your point. Just not that you're arguing that the statement is lie.

Hypothetical situations just to show the way I'm thinking about this:

Imagine 100 people in a room that are offended by nothing, and one is person trying to offend them. Not one of them gets offended, because no one took offense.

Now 100 people in a room that are offended by everything, and one person is trying to offend them. They're offended by everything, so all 100 take offense.

You cannot offend someone that doesn't take offense to what is supposed to be offensive.

Dachande

Paki is a slur now? Wat? When did that happen? Is it a British thing? Pakistanis in America call themselves Paki all the time (me included).

It's been considered a casually racist slur in the UK for a number of years, at least if said by non-Asian people. Saying something like, "I'm going down to the Paki shop for a pint of milk" -- as in visiting a small neighbourhood convenience store, which are typically owned by Asian families that aren't necessarily Pakistani - used to be fairly common, but using the word here if you're not Asian yourself would be super frowned-upon these days.

Onemic

Paki is a slur now? Wat? When did that happen? Is it a British thing? Pakistanis in America call themselves Paki all the time (me included).

Paki has been a slur for a while now. In NA too.

Pakistanis call themselves paki as an endearing term just like many other slurs minorities use amongst themselves.

akira28

Oh Azealia when will you learn.

Oh and to prevent the usual confusion:

Zs06rIf.jpg

Pictured left: Iggy Azalea
Pictured right: Azealia Banks

they're almost perfect together as a super group. Of course it would take this Darkest Timeline to give us these two as they are, and President Trump, but *shrug*.

In some alternate reality they are both really nice people, and the best of friends.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh Azealia when will you learn.

Oh and to prevent the usual confusion:

Zs06rIf.jpg

Pictured left: Iggy Azalea
Pictured right: Azealia Banks

In hindsight, has anybody told Azealia Banks that the only real relevance she has with people is being known as "Not Iggy Azalea, the other one"?

Probably, and i bet i crushed her.

ReiGun

i mean she has sass but like what kids would say but sassier. the tweets are like. she's ready to break from Disney and become miley soon.

Nah that's pretty run of the mill for a 14 year old girl. In fact, Skai showed more composure than you'd expect from a kid her age. And sadly, Azealia as well.

MIMIC

Banned
Any person using that kind of language is absolutely revolting. I'm almost thinking that she is just doing it for the attention (maybe I'm just unnecessarily giving her the benefit of the doubt but I can't believe that anyone can be that hateful)

Lgndryhr

Never heard of her nor have I ever heard any of her music. Sounds like her career never took off and this shows why. She's an idiot.

Slayven

i mean she has sass but like what kids would say but sassier. the tweets are like. she's ready to break from Disney and become miley soon.

Nah brah, that was pretty level headed for a 14 year old kid on twitter. A maturity that even Milly hasn't reached

Man, people like her are why I wish God, or a God was real. There's nothing more that I want in this world other than to know that people like Azealia Banks would get punished for being so hateful and bringing more animosity into this world.

Why is she even relevant

She is known for her music, some of which is well regarded. At least from my understanding.

I cannot figure out of these twitter feuds is who she is as a person, or a media stunt for attention. The lines blur as people like her, Trump, Kanye and others can say varying degrees of shit that rewards them with attention.

knkng

I'm really tired of people playing armchair psychologist and diagnosing her to excuse the assholish shit she does.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd to say that someone has a mental illness because they called someone a faggot or Paki on twitter. It just seems like racism and homophobia to me.

When I was younger (probably early 90's) I remember seeing a PSA here in Canada where very young children were saying racial slurs. I remember very clearly "paki", "nigger" and "chink". The idea was that it sounds wrong when children say it, just as it's wrong for anyone else to say it. Unfortunately I can't find it on YouTube.

But yeah, it's been considered a slur for at least 20 to 25 years here in Canada.

rokkerkory

She is known for her music, some of which is well regarded. At least from my understanding.

I cannot figure out of these twitter feuds is who she is as a person, or a media stunt for attention. The lines blur as people like her, Trump, Kanye and others can say varying degrees of shit that rewards them with attention.

Wow i guess

But even though if her music is ok her character sucks

C4Lukins

While the examples you mention say some crazy shit, Banks takes it to another level, and does so while not being personally attacked by her victims. There is a screw loose there.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Man, people like her are why I wish God, or a God was real. There's nothing more that I want in this world other than to know that people like Azealia Banks would get punished for being so hateful and bringing more animosity into this world.

The Many Face God says death is its own reward, I happen to agree when it comes to this wench.

eFKac

Hmm I need to improve my racist vocabulary, first time I've heard "sand nigger" but it's surprising, also have no idea which letter should I put in the * in "P*ki" no idea what it means.

Those constant rants and tangents are really boring though, twitter could just suspend her account, nothing of value would be lost.

Hexa

Paki has been a slur for a while now. In NA too.

Pakistanis call themselves paki as an endearing term just like many other slurs minorities use amongst themselves.

Maybe it's still different based on the area of the US? Maybe not in the DC area? My non-Asian friends use that too from time to time just as short hand for Pakistani.
I'm not even sure if there are enough Pakistani people here to warrant a slur for them. lol

knkng

Hmm I need to improve my racist vocabulary, first time I've heard "sand nigger" but it's surprising, also have no idea which letter should I put in the * in "P*ki" no idea what it means.

First time I heard "sand nigger" was actually in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I was like "What the fuck did he just say?"

Paki is a slur for Pakistani, although sometimes just used for people from that general area.

NEO0MJ

Maybe it's still different based on the area of the US? Maybe not in the DC area? My non-Asian friends use that too from time to time just as short hand for Pakistani.
I'm not even sure if there are enough Pakistani people here to warrant a slur for them. lol

Might be similar to using the term Jap to refer to a person of Japanese origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom