• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Seeing it Thursday. Wright is 4/4 in my book (and that isn't even including the brilliant Spaced). Will be one of the all-time greats if he keeps going this way.

Xevren

Watched it this morning and I absolutely loved it from beginning to end. Movie was just an absolute treat to watch. Been really looking forward to this and it delivered. I really loved Ansel Elgort and Lily James <3

kaskade

I usually like to hold out on seeing movies opening night to avoid too big of a crowd but this one is tempting.

Have tickets for 9:45 tonight

Unfortunately only 4 other seats were booked in the theater. Hope it's just because people don't realize there's early showings (I didn't)

I'm already going to see Spider-Man and Apes, so this is going to be a tough sell, but I love Hot Fuzz and really like Shaun of the Dead, so I'm definitely interested.

Jarmel

Banned
Trying to decide between RPX and Alamo for this. Leaning towards RPX but not sure. Does anyone know which would provide better audio/visuals?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm sitting in the theater now, and it's surprisingly crowded for a Tuesday evening showing. Hopefully the movie will do solid numbers this week.

Yeah this was as good as expected.

One downside.

The sound mix was iffy at times.

Everything else was Wright times a 100.

Will get the editing Oscar for sure.

Just got back from the theater, what a great movie one of my favorite Edgar Wright films for sure . I really enjoyed the original music in the film as well as the licensed music but some of the original ambient tracks really caught my attention.

My theater kind of ruined my experience by having the film freeze and stutter about 20 minutes before the climax of the film and then they rewound about 30 minutes back made us watch it all again and then when it froze again at the same spots they made us wait 15 more minutes while they rebooted the projector and then when they finally got it working the guy up in the projector room, according to the employee who was talking to the audience and keeping us posted, accidentally pressed end film instead of dim the lights so then we had to wait even longer just to finish the movie. Probably about 60% of the theater left , which is a damn shame.

Chairhome

Just got out, loved it. I would put it at maybe number 3 of my favorite Wright movies. Behind SP and HF.

I loved
Spacey calling out the foreshadowing

Dishwalla

Banned
Great flick, really chill soundtrack. Loved the way the Queen song was utilized too.

The Monsters Inc. joke was classic

I just got back from seeing this and holy shit. I wish there were more movies like Baby Driver. That was a fantastic movie.

Just got out, loved it. I would put it at maybe number 3 of my favorite Wright movies. Behind SP and HF.

I loved
Spacey calling out the foreshadowing
To your spoiler: how so?

And yeah it's definitely behind Hot Fuzz but I was expecting it to be.

Great movie, don't really have any complaints beyond the pacing near the end felt a bit long.

One thing that didn't make any sense to me at all though was
when Baby/Miles decided to run away with Debora, why did he still go to the meeting? He obviously didn't expect to stay the night but still, was it just so he could have a headstart when they were sleeping? And then he had the option to call it all off but didn't, was that because he needed the extra cash, or just because they were already suspicious of him?

Also
why did he use his codename outside of "work"

Spacey is amazing in this movie.

It's the best thing I've seen so far this year, the chases are incredible.
This movie is awesome, and it takes a turn that in unexpected
I love the map joke when he is talking to bats.

when Baby/Miles decided to run away with Debora, why did he still go to the meeting? He obviously didn't expect to stay the night but still, was it just so he could have a headstart when they were sleeping? And then he had the option to call it all off but didn't, was that because he needed the extra cash, or just because they were already suspicious of him?

Also why did he use his codename outside of "work"

I think it's because he knew that Spacey still wanted the job done, and if called it off he'd end up in the wheelchair not behind the wheel.

pantsmith

Fucking amazing, Wright is 5 for 5.

So in the least spoilery way possible, there was a point where I was like "I bet you this song calls back to an earlier conversation" and, as soon as I got back to my car and loaded up the soundtrack on Spotify, lo and behold Wright was way ahead of me. Again.
"Hocus Pocus" during the bank scene.

This is a borderline non-complaint, but I think Baby Driver is almost too rich to actually take in on just one viewing. I mean all of his movies open up on repeat viewings, but the foreshawdowing seemed subtler, the soundtrack seemed exactly on the nose, and the script in-references seemed even tighter than usual.

Which is also to say nothing of the immaculate editing. Like holy shit, how much work was it to sync up *everything* to the soundtrack?! I left the movie grateful that music even exists. What a film!

Its unclear that it isn't a nickname he uses, that just happens to double as his codename. No one actually believes his name is Baby anyway, regardless of context.

My guess is that his mother used to call him Baby and hes just super sentimental about it, like the diner or the tape or the ipods (etc)

Dishwalla

Banned
Fucking amazing, Wright is 5 for 5.

So in the least spoilery way possible, there was a point where I was like "I bet you this song calls back to an earlier conversation" and, as soon as I got back to my car and loaded up the soundtrack on Spotify, lo and behold Wright was way ahead of me. Again.
"Hocus Pocus" during the bank scene.

This is a borderline non-complaint, but I think Baby Driver is almost too rich to actually take in on just one viewing. I mean all of his movies open up on repeat viewings, but the foreshawdowing seemed subtler, the soundtrack seemed exactly on the nose, and the script in-references seemed even tighter than usual.

Which is also to say nothing of the immaculate editing. Like holy shit, how much work was it to sync up *everything* to the soundtrack?! I left the movie grateful that music even exists. What a film!

I'm with you there, this is going to be a great movie to have on Blu Ray or whatever for repeat viewings, just so you can catch things you missed from previous viewings.

Yeah this was as good as expected.

One downside.

The sound mix was iffy at times.

Everything else was Wright times a 100.

Will get the editing Oscar for sure.

I need to see a the film again, but I wondered about the sound mix too. Some songs were so low that I had difficulty hearing the beat to hear it sync like it did. Ah well. Small fault in a brilliant film.

Trying to decide between RPX and Alamo for this. Leaning towards RPX but not sure. Does anyone know which would provide better audio/visuals?

not sure about RPX, but Alamo has never been the better audio/visual quality for me. You go there for the superior quality atmosphere, audience, food, and beer.

Skeeter49

To your spoiler: how so?

And yeah it's definitely behind Hot Fuzz but I was expecting it to be.

Great movie, don't really have any complaints beyond the pacing near the end felt a bit long.

Also
He probably didn't want his foster father to get hurt, and might have worried that he was being watched during the day, so best to go along until night when he can almost be certain they're not watching him, then go get his foster father, then get Debora. Going along is to guarantee they're not going to be suspicious, since it doesn't seem like it'd be in Baby's character to just say no to the plan.

jacobs34

Saw it with the wife tonight and we both loved it. She was skeptical going in after not liking Scott Pilgrim but I think she was even more pleasantly surprised as I was. This movie just oozes style like nothing else I've seen in the last couple of years. The soundtrack was spot on, the plot was tight and I really enjoyed the performance out of John Hamm. Couldn't ask for a better time at the movies.

It was also great seeing a packed theatre on Tuesday night in Davenport Iowa for a movie like this. Hopefully it does well this weekend and encourages more original summer blockbusters going forward.

Top Bottom