• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baby Driver (dir. Edgar Wright) |OT| All You Need Is One Killer Track

Linkin112

Jamie Foxx was great in this. Also think I want a film where Jon Hamm is the lead villain because I was liking Buddy in the 3rd act.

pantsmith

I'm worried with these impressions saying it isn't as good as Hot Fuzz, since I didn't think Hot Fuzz was a great movie per se, and behind At World's End and Scott Pilgrim. I also have Hot Fuzz a 3 out of 5, so I do hope Baby Driver is a better movie. And now reading the third act kind of falls flat. This is probably gonna be a decent movie to me.

IMO Hot Fuzz is low hanging fruit - a great, smart, fun film that everyone on the planet should enjoy, but also the least interesting (and least sincere) of the projects Wright has worked on.

Baby Driver is his best technical work by far, and I'd rank it as my second favorite Wright film behind Shaun and ahead of Scott Pilgrim for whatever thats worth to you.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
senpai noticed me

RSAp9vj.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So after an evening of thought, gets a solid 7/10 for me, but I'll repeat the criticisms:

1. Final act does not live up to the first two, in large part because Wright builds up a number of expected threads that are either abandoned, don't pay off or are deliberately subverted
Jaimie Foxx is going to be killed by Hamm for scoping Darling, the ending is going to be a 24 hour car chase across America to the border, etc etc.

2. I don't mind that some expectations were subverted, but I felt that the pacing of those switches was loose and clumsy, so the flips never "click" home and you feel deflated when something smaller happens.

3. And
John Hamm's switch into single minded Terminator was all over the place, scenes where you think he's going to let Baby have what he never could, mixed with weird Looney Tunes trap/bait setups. I also didn't like Baby's bipolar mini murder spree. It made sense but I didn't like it.

I still left mostly satisfied and the "controversial" ending reminded me of Wild at Heart tbh. I believe in some ways it was an homage.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
So after an evening of thought, gets a solid 7/10 for me, but I'll repeat the criticisms:

1. Final act does not live up to the first two, in large part because Wright builds up a number of expected threads that are either abandoned, don't pay off or are deliberately subverted
Jaimie Foxx is going to be killed by Hamm for scoping Darling, the ending is going to be a 24 hour car chase across America to the border, etc etc.

I don't mind that some expectations were subverted, but I felt that the pacing of those switches was loose and clumsy, so the flips never "click" home and you feel deflated when something smaller happens.

And
John Hamm's switch into single minded Terminator was all over the place, scenes where you think he's going to let Baby have what he never could, mixed with weird Looney Tunes trap/bait setups. I also didn't like Baby's bipolar mini murder spree. It made sense but I didn't like it.

I still left mostly satisfied and the "controversial" ending reminded me of Wild at Heart tbh. I believe in some ways it was an homage.
there's some good irony in a numbered list about unfinished threads that ends at 1.

2. I don't mind that some expectations were subverted, but I felt that the pacing of those switches was loose and clumsy, so the flips never "click" home and you feel deflated when something smaller happens.

3. And

Personally, I found the misdirection successful and we learned just enough about
Hamm's dark side to find his move convincing.
Plus he selled the hell out of it.

PBY

Banned
Personally, I found the misdirection successful and we learned just enough about Hamm's dark side to find his move convincing. Plus he selled the hell out of it.

It all fell flat to me. The more I think about it, the movie felt totally soulless to me. Easily my least fav Edgar Wright movie.

number11

Lily James is so perfect.. almost too perfect where it doesn't become believable. Edgar Wright does manage to cast some of the most likeable characters in his films.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I saw this last night and while it didn't meet my unreasonably expectations (I was hoping to come out of the theater with BD as my new favorite movie), I really loved it. If I have one criticism, it's that the music-syncing stuff I had heard so much about seemed more toned down than I had expected. Maybe it was just the theatre I was in, but the music in the action sequences seemed a tad quieter than it should have been. I feel like a lot of people who don't know to look for it won't pick up on it, which is disappointing. Other than that, I loved pretty much everything about it. I'll have to see it a couple more times before I can comfortably rank it among Wright's other work.

I am still thinking about this movie since I saw it about 14 hours ago.

I still absolutely LOVE the thing. I think its an a technical masterpiece

There are three things that are looping in my head.

1) The opening is fantastic "BellBottoms" works so well in that whole sequence.

2) The turns this movie makes kinda knocked me back, mostly because I didn't know anything about it going in. So when
baby kills bats
I went "Oh shit."

3) The editing is also masterful, some of the shoot outs being cut to the music works so well, It's really hard to explain how it all "fits" but when it does it works so well.

Lily James is so perfect.. almost too perfect where it doesn't become believable. Edgar Wright does manage to cast some of the most likeable characters in his films.

Yeah I wasn't expecting her
to stay with Baby when he came back to the diner for their roadtrip thingy honestly, especially after he shot Hamm lol

Just got out of it annnnd was pretty disappointed tbh.

Of course the direction, editing, soundtrack are great, although I did find almost every action syncronising with a song to get a little overdone by the final third.

But I'm more of a story/character person and it really felt like this movie needed a little bit of script doctoring for almost everything that was people talking. Wright didn't quite get dialogue where it needed to be, either being ridiculously expository (Bernthal and Spacey's characters especially) or inanely cutesy and self-aware.

The characters on the whole were a bit flat. Jamie Foxx, however, was easily the MVP of the whole thing, and the only character I felt sold on.

The movie really hit a sweet spot for a little bit somewhere after halfway where the balance of all the elements clicked, but it didn't last. If it had this would have been a flat out masterpiece.

And then the final third lost me completely.

Hopefully this can be successful so we can get more Wright movies made, but good God get someone to help with the writing!

PBY

Banned
Just got out of it annnnd was pretty disappointed tbh.

Of course the direction, editing, soundtrack are great, although I did find almost every action syncronising with a song to get a little overdone by the final third.

But I'm more of a story/character person and it really felt like this movie needed a little bit of script doctoring for almost everything that was people talking. Wright didn't quite get dialogue where it needed to be, either being ridiculously expository (Bernthal and Spacey's characters especially) or inanely cutesy and self-aware.

The characters on the whole were a bit flat. Jamie Foxx, however, was easily the MVP of the whole thing, and the only character I felt sold on.

The movie really hit a sweet spot for a little bit somewhere after halfway where the balance of all the elements clicked, but it didn't last. If it had this would have been a flat out masterpiece.

And then the final third lost me completely.

Hopefully this can be successful so we can get more Wright movies made, but good God get someone to help with the writing!

Yeah, totally agree with this. I spent the whole first half of the movie trying to get the world and characters to click. It peaked right around the middle, which was perfect, then fizzles hard in the third act.

And def agree re Debora. She isn't a character, shes a prop in this movie.

Jarmel

Banned

I think I would have been fine with the misdirections if we had one final showpiece with half of Atlanta's PD chasing him along with
Hamm's character
and them just going bananas with that.
The garage scene
absolutely did not cut it and after the previous stuff was kind of lame.

Bookoo

Personally, I found the misdirection successful and we learned just enough about Hamm's dark side to find his move convincing. Plus he selled the hell out of it.

Yea, I really liked
that misdirection.They really painted Kevin Spacey was the bad guy and John Hamm was the good guy

Overall thought the movie was really good and entertaining. Although at first I felt the acting in the diner (where Baby and Debora meet) and laundry mat were a little cringe.

PBY

Banned
Yea, I really liked
that misdirection.They really painted Kevin Spacey was the bad guy and John Hamm was the good guy

Overall thought the movie was really good and entertaining. Although at first I felt the acting in the diner (where Baby and Debora meet) and laundry mat were a little cringe.

But Spacey was the bad guy? His character arc made zero sense to me. I didn't understand his motivations in the second half at all.

Jazzem

I really loved this overall, do have some nitpicks (the romance, while sweet and well sold by the actors, is a bit underwritten) but damn if it isn't one of the most fun and tense things I've seen in the theatre recently. As has been said repeatedly, the cinematography/soundtrack/editing are all outstanding, Wright continues to be one of my favourites

I'm especially appreciative of someone already putting together a spotify playlist of the soundtrack :D

But Spacey was the bad guy? His character arc made zero sense to me. I didn't understand his motivations in the second half at all.

I think you can glean it out of his interactions with Baby a bit. He does seem to respect him at least and possibly even be fond of him, his nephew also being another indicator of his softer side. His final scene took me by surprise as well, but afterwards those observations are how I justified it.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea that was pretty bad too. That final scene with him was just totally out of place with the rest of the movie.

pantsmith

Bats brings up "hex songs," and how when one is played someone is going to die. Baby is listening to the song Hocus Pocus (literally a hex song) when he floors it into the spikes.

Earlier in the movie, while flipping through channels, Baby catches a bullfighting match where they mention "the bull sees red" and the matador having to dismount to put him down. Darling mentions John Hamm "seeing red" when he gets angry. Go figure that when she dies, he sees red, and Baby becomes that matador that has to put down the enraged bull.

Baby puts off outrunning the cops to the border to serve his time and start fresh with Barbara. All those moments where he tried to do the right thing (throwing back the purse, trying to warn post office lady, trying to get out of crime) come back to help him get parole and not have to spend the rest of his life in either jail or hiding

I mean you are totally cool not liking the movie, to each their own, but I thought it adequately telegraphed where things were headed even if I didn't know what was going to happen next.

I'm very impressed with Jon Hamm in this movie.

I've always loved the guy but he hasn't had a solid performance (that wasn't a comedy cameo) since Mad Men but this movie really reminded me that this dude can act. Completely different than Don Draper but still a great performance.

Bookoo

I mean he was a bad guy by intimidating Baby back to driving, but by the end it was shown that he at least cared somewhat about Baby. He had been working with him since he was a child so it's not that crazy of an arc.

My friend and I both expected him to be at the diner and when it turned out to be Jon Ham were were pleasantly surprised.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bats brings up "hex songs," and how when one is played someone is going to die. Baby is listening to the song Hocus Pocus (literally a hex song) when he floors it into the spikes.

Earlier in the movie, while flipping through channels, Baby catches a bullfighting match where they mention "the bull sees red" and the matador having to dismount to put him down. Darling mentions John Hamm "seeing red" when he gets angry. Go figure that when she dies, he sees red, and Baby becomes that matador that has to put down the enraged bull.

Baby puts off outrunning the cops to the border to serve his time and start fresh with Barbara. All those moments where he tried to do the right thing (throwing back the purse, trying to warn post office lady, trying to get out of crime) come back to help him get parole and not have to spend the rest of his life in either jail or hiding

I mean you are totally cool not liking the movie, to each their own, but I thought it adequately telegraphed where things were headed even if I didn't know what was going to happen next.

I loved the movie. Those were my negative observations and I agree they were telegraphed sufficiently and rational within their own rules, I just felt like they weren't bendy enough and a bit off pace.

Also anyone else concerned about the fate of his (obviously a capable robber himself) kid?

In the theater now, really excited

Scenes edited to the music always feel so cool. Part of why I love the nightclub shootout in John Wick and like the Atomic Blonde trailer

The marriage of both create a cool rhythm, kind of like how you just get into the zone in games like Thumper or Crypt of the Necrodancef

Vice

But when his plan in both situations is to just run away what does it matter if he does it then or four hours later? He says it's off then he has to run, grab his girl and continue to run. He says it's on, sneaks out, grabs his girl, and continues to run. In either situation everyone is mad at him and looking for revenge. He only killed bats when he was completely trapped.
With this plan he gets a head start. Bats had already shown that he'd kill a guy he worked with for very little reason. Seemingly at/near the hideout already. Slip out when he's asleep and have a better chance at avoiding getting shot in the head like JD

Doc makes it a point to remind him with violent intimidation that he is a very bad and mean person, though. His character flip to 180 in the span of 24 hours, especially when his entire business empire was just destroyed by this dude, makes no sense to me.
He also had a bit of a softside for him. The shit had already hit the fan after the gun deal, as seen when the police try to kill him. He likes and trusts Baby to a degree. He'd known him for most of Baby's life and the guy seemingly likes kids.

Totally loved the movie. I think Wright struggles with endings, but this one overall worked. Baby Driver takes spot 2 for me, right behind Hot Fuzz.

If you give even a slight shit about editing, you just have to watch this goddamn film. Like his others, the pace clips along even when it might not deserve to because of how smooth all the shots and transitions are.

Skeeter49

Yea, I really liked

I was expecting the laundry mat to be cringe, but the chemistry between the two sold me on it.

With this plan he gets a head start. Bats had already shown that he'd kill a guy he worked with for very little reason. Seemingly at/near the hideout already. Slip out when he's asleep and have a better chance at avoiding getting shot in the head like JD

He also had a bit of a softside for him. The shit had already hit the fan after the gun deal, as seen when the police try to kill him. He likes and trusts Baby to a degree. He'd known him for most of Baby's life and the guy seemingly likes kids.
It'd seemed obvious that the moment Baby said no, Bats would kill all o them.
Baby also probably feared being followed if Bats somehow restrained himself and didn't kill everybody.

hydruxo

Anybody know the name of the song that
plays right before the post office heist when Baby is in the car and sees the woman who works there?
That song was intense

bounchfx

Saw it last night, really enjoyed it but I think I let the hype from RT and this thread get to me. I don't think it lived up to the hype, but I thought it was very good.

The way the music synced up was fun as hell, but I guess I was expecting more of it throughout the movie - not that they didn't do it everywhere they could, but that there was actually a lot less music than I thought there would be. Lots of 'normal' scenes, which I suppose made it more of a regular movie than I went in expecting, whereas I had the impression after reading reviews that it was going to be like 90% music/synced up scenes.

This isn't a knock on the film at all so much as my skewed expectations. I still really enjoyed it and am glad I went to see it. However I am also in the camp that wanted one last 'big' chase scene. It felt like the movie was trending towards that the entire time and then... nope. I wouldn't even care if the ending was the same, just wanted one more before the end.

HiiiLife

I must've missed the detail or something but
who was the dude that tried to foil their plans with the pickup truck? A crooked cop? was almost betting it was someone Kevin Spacey paid off to try and get rid of them all since it was Baby's "last" job

I must've missed the detail or something but
who was the dude that tried to foil their plans with the pickup truck? A crooked cop? was almost betting it was someone Kevin Spacey paid off to try and get rid of them all since it was Baby's "last" job

That was what we here in Georgia refer to as a "local".

Really though, he was a redneck with guns and a truck with racing stripes.

jmood88

I just finished and I did not like this movie at all. For whatever reason, I haven't liked any Edgar Wright movies very much the first time I watched them (aside from Scott Pilgrim), then they turned into some of my favorites, but I don't anticipate that being the case with this one.

Pachimari

Came out the cinema an hour ago, and is trying to collect my thoughts. First and foremost, I was disappointed by the music syncing. It felt very low key and not as integral as what I had hoped for, and I don't think the casual viewers will pick up on it. I wasn't big on the third act, and where Edgar Wright took the characters, and it had a slow so much that I got worried I wouldn't like it, but luckily it picked up as soon as the characters were introduced to each other and they got going with their thing. So I liked the first act and loved the second act. The movie had good music for sure, and I'll probably listen to it on my phone, and Baby himself was very likable until he goes off limits. It had a few funny moments but this is surely an action movie unlike his previous work. So yeah, a very fine movie, but not anything special.

1. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
2. The World's End
3. Hott Fuzz
4. Baby Driver

jmood88

Not sure what your point is... my point is that I had no idea all these movies came from the same source... Scott Pilgrim is incredible, and Hot Fuzz is pretty great too...
Are you thinking about This Is The End? The World's End was a pretty clear Pegg/Wright (& Frost) movie.

Pachimari

Not sure what your point is... my point is that I had no idea all these movies came from the same source... Scott Pilgrim is incredible, and Hot Fuzz is pretty great too...

The way you highlighted it made it seem like you didn't get how somebody would rate The World's End at #2.

This film is perfect. Start to finish, I wouldn't change a frame. I have no complaints whatsoever. Just a thoroughly well crafted, well put together and well executed film.

Top Bottom