• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bakersfield Police Beat Teen Girl Because "She appeared to be a male"

Syriel

Stories like this really drive home the reason why it is difficult to unilaterally trust police departments. Story reads like a "bad apple," yet said "bad apple" was cleared by the dept, while the victim is left with charges to fight.

On the day police stopped Hargrove, officers had been looking for a suspect — described as a 25- to 30-year-old, bald black man standing 5-foot-10 and weighing about 170 pounds — who had threatened several people with a machete at a nearby grocery store, according to a police report.

“She appeared to be a male and matched the description of the suspect that had brandished the machete and was also within the same complex the suspect had fled to,” Christopher Moore, the arresting officer, wrote in his report.

But Hargrove is none of those things.

For starters, she is female. She stands 5-foot-2 and weighs 115 pounds “soaking wet,” according to her father in a widely shared video of Hargrove’s account of the incident posted on the Facebook page for the Bakersfield chapter of the NAACP.

After that, she said in the video, the officer grabbed her by her wrist, then punched her and threw her onto the ground; shortly afterward, the police K-9 “came and started eating at my leg.”

The same officer then put his knee on her back and other knee against her head, despite her protests, she said.

“I told him ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe’ and then I started yelling out, ‘Somebody help me, somebody help me! They’re gonna kill me!’” she said. “And then finally, he let me up, he tied my hands behind my back and then he tied my feet together and he threw me in the back of the car.”

According to the police report, Hargrove was arrested for resisting or delaying an officer and aggravated assault on an officer. Hargrove was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of her injuries, including abrasions on her face and scrapes and punctures from the police K-9’s “engagement on her right thigh,” Moore, the arresting officer, wrote in his report.

Moore noted that “several nurses” at the hospital referred to Hargrove as a male and that “when I corrected them and advised she was a female they were surprised and apologized for the mistake.”

After she was treated for her injuries, Hargrove was booked into jail, the report said. She was detained for nearly 16 hours there before being bailed out by her parents, according to the NAACP.

“At this time I was forced to quickly consider the following; [Hargrove] matched the description of the suspect that had brandished a machete, her backpack was within her arm’s reach and the main compartment was unzipped allowing her immediate access to the machete,” Moore wrote. After weighing whether he could use his Taser or baton on Hargrove, Moore wrote that he decided to unleash the police K-9, Hamer.

In the police report, Moore wrote that after officers placed Hargrove in a police car, she continued to scream out of the window at them for about five minutes.

“While Hargrove was in the backseat I asked what her name was and when she provided it as ‘Tatyana’ I said, ‘Don’t lie to me, that’s a girl’s name. What is your name?’ ” the police report stated. “Hargrove said, ‘I’m a girl, I just don’t dress like one.’ This was when I first discovered she was a female.”

And of course, the Bakersfield PD says Moore did nothing wrong.

A Bakersfield police spokesman told The Washington Post he would not comment further on the case but confirmed that the department had determined that the officers had exercised appropriate use of force on Hargrove.

Source:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/‘i...staking-her-for-black-male-suspect/ar-BBEj5wP

https://www.change.org/p/kamala-harris-justice-for-19-yr-old-girl-beaten-by-police

Facebook Video of her Story:
https://www.facebook.com/786247818090483/videos/vb.786247818090483/1407350295980229/

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Bakersfield is garbage. I witnessed more racisim in that town than I did 12 years in back woods North Carolina. And that's saying something.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How do you go looking for a male FUCKING FIVE TEN and get a person who is FIVE TWO mixed up

I'm fucking sorry this isn't a small game of inches, that's almost borderline a whole fucking ruler worth of height!

Weight added on, how does that police officer go, matches the description

Like humans have magical powers to shrink themselves down

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
How the fuck do you confused a 5'10" man with a 5'2 teenage girl. Fuck that shit. I hope his ass get toast.

He'll get a promotion and she will linger in jail for resisting arrest.

Meanwhile there's a guy wielding a machete still on the loose.

Maz

My God, she gets punched in the face, thrown to the ground, police dog taking a good bite of her leg, and ends up in jail? What the fuck is this bullshit, they fucking charged her for having her face in the way of the police officers fist?? Why is the police department defending this?

____

Surely there had to be a dehumanizing stare or two from this little girl to prompt this viscous mauling by these angel policemen who must've clearly felt their lives were in danger.

I think this is the fourth police thread I've seen today. Is there any kind of detailed list of cases like this? I've started making my own, but if there's already one out there, I'd like to have it on hand.

How the fuck do you confused a 5'10" man with a 5'2 teenage girl. Fuck that shit. I hope his ass get toast.

How do you look at her and think she's bald...

I can't help but think the cop was power tripping and felt like beating up a woman. There's really nothing else to excuse this behaviour.

Trace

Banned
Cop probably got a gold star and a raise when they got back, good job keeping the scary black women off the street.

TheContact

"Appropriate use of force"...
Hope she sues the fuck out of the department. It's the only way they'll change their ways

Because there are literally zero consequences for lying.

This. They are literally praised as infallible by the mainstream public constantly. They can rape and kill and people will still chant Blue Lives Matter instead of expecting better of law enforcement and angry citizens or groups like internal affairs are painted as villains for even daring to question "people who put their lives on the line". When the trail and conviction rate for officers is so rare, there's no point in being kind or careful.

Is there a website that archives these videos and details the proceedings (if any) that resulted?

If not, there should be. Seeing these videos in isolation is bad enough, coming thick and fast as they do, but a professional, apolitical website that simply posts videos and published facts about action taken, without comment, could be bring the whole thing into further clarity.

LaMagenta

They were also looking for someone who was about 170lbs, she weighs 115. Big difference in size! Those cops need to go to jail.

Verelios

Damn, I would be hopping mad if I was assaulted over a case of mistake identity, confined for 16 hours and then told to get over it as 'it was a necessary evil'. Fuck you! How about you get bit by a K9 and punched in the face, fuck these guys.

Is there a website that archives these videos and details the proceedings (if any) that resulted?

If not, there should be. Seeing these videos in isolation is bad enough, coming thick and fast as they do, but a professional, apolitical website that simply posts videos and published facts about action taken, without comment, could be bring the whole thing into further clarity.

There's no way such a site could exist without constantly being attacked for 'taking a side'

People will see them posting videos of police brutality and immediately jump to why aren't they posting videos of all the abuse the police face? Biased they'll scream, blue lives matter, they'll grunt out like the animals they are...

I'm interested in this as well. All the threads recently motivated me to start making a list of cases with links in my notes app. I feel something like that must exist already, but if not I'm interested in starting one. I know very little about hosting websites though.
I don't have income either.

Usobuko

Banned
Legalised violence.

Not even black women are spare because shitty excuses are bought by tribal nationalistic racist.

Had it be a middle east guy who beat by a white girl by such unjustifiable "mistake", the western world would riot.

Tribal sheeps are cancerous to humanity progress.

She was no angel
Dehumanizing stare
He was just a bad apple

Did we cover all the excuses people will use in order to act like this shitstain didn't do anything bad?

Man fuck these racist, piece of shit cops. She's shorter, weighs less, isn't bald, had no machete in her backpack, is obviously a gotdamn female, and I'm really supposed to believe this was a case of mistaken identity and an appropriate use of force? Fuck that noise.

*Splinter

I know the answer is "racism" (with a sprinkle of poor training), but I still can't fully comprehend how US police manage to be so thoroughly incompetent, corrupt, and downright not fit for purpose.

Top Bottom