• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bakersfield Police Beat Teen Girl Because "She appeared to be a male"

Brinbe

Smfh. This is a real problem. Repeat it forever. Fuck the police.

How can we have believe in a system of justice when these thugs with badges are exempt from prosecution?

Of would say this is the phrase that pays but it's really the phrase that saves.....

“I told him ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe’ and then I started yelling out, ‘Somebody help me, somebody help me! They’re gonna kill me!’” she said.

Remember this people.

A Bakersfield police spokesman told The Washington Post he would not comment further on the case but confirmed that the department had determined that the officers had exercised appropriate use of force on Hargrove.

Fucking how?

Ebris

Cops are on a fucking roll this week. All of this is simultaneously heart breaking and enough to make the blood boil.

Preacher

Yo what did I just read?
How do you even do this shit and pretend it's a mistake? This better not end in this guy getting off first obvious bullsh it like this

So why exactly are so many cops in the US fucked up?

If you look at the polls of how the public feel about police, this is how they want them to act. They hire accordingly. They discipline accordingly. The system is working according to the will of the people.

The people just won't admit openly that they're racist as they did in the 50's.

hodgy100

The fuck

you know when people are injured due to police officers what happens to any healthcare costs? (from the UK here so i honestly dont know)

Is the appropriate use of force on black people punching them more than needed and letting dogs bite them???

Fuck off with that noise.

Cops are basically a gestapo force in this country they can get away with anything. They fuck up immensely like confuse a 115lb female for a 170lb male, beat the shit out of her and they're still gonna get away with it while SHE has to fight charges and a legal battle. Fuck the US police system so much, it's broken and will basically never change at this rate.

M52B28

Banned
Bakersfield is garbage. I witnessed more racisim in that town than I did 12 years in back woods North Carolina. And that's saying something.
I was wondering why I was seeing so many.. southern reminiscent people on the plane when I flew into their tiny airport.

Explains why I saw some kid wearing a Trump-Pence shirt.

I love how anytime someone is mistakenly arrested, they charge them for resisting arrest and throw in a "assaulted a police officer" charge in there too.

Gotta make it look like they did SOMEthing.

I wish I had superpowers, but instead of fighting crime I'd fight people with power who abuse it. Then I'd become an enemy of the state after taking down corrupt politicians without any oversight, and then I'd have to take over political leadership as well, become President of Earth.

Also I'd take out asshole drivers.

How do you go looking for a male FUCKING FIVE TEN and get a person who is FIVE TWO mixed up

I'm fucking sorry this isn't a small game of inches, that's almost borderline a whole fucking ruler worth of height!

Weight added on, how does that police officer go, matches the description

Like humans have magical powers to shrink themselves down
They must have watched too many movies with the "magic negro" trope.

Royce McCutcheon

Did they literally just find the first black person they came up on at the complex with no regards to the descriptions? Was she going to summon the machete like prince noctis? Is that why they charged her like that? I've seen people with guns get taken down with less force.

Did they literally just find the first black person they came up on at the complex with no regards to the descriptions? Was she going to summon the machete like prince noctis? Is that why they charged her like that? I've seen people with guns get taken down with less force.
Probably, in their mind. My "magic negro" comment above actually has a lot of truth to it, police employ next to ZERO logic when dealing with black people. They didn't see the machete at the time so that must mean it could be anywhere, even in the backpack of someone who doesn't match the description, so we better send in the attack dog.

Walter Scott could have run into the first house he saw and raped and murdered everyone inside, so he had to be shot.

Eric Garner could have summoned his super human black man strength and killed everyone nearby so they had to pile over a 1000 pounds of officer on him and crush him to death.

Hell, didn't the dude who shot Mike Brown straight up called him a demon or some shit?

They deal with white people based on what could actually happen in that very moment, and they deal with non-whites based on anything that could happen under any circumstances in any reality.

RS4-

The fuck

you know when people are injured due to police officers what happens to any healthcare costs? (from the UK here so i honestly dont know)
After you're wrongfully convicted of "resisting arrest" and "assaulting a police officer" for not being white, you'll be handed the beautiful medical fees because the healthcare system is also amazing in America.

So the K-9 attacks are the less dangerous "shoot with gun on sight"? I mean there was the other thread yesterday as well...

Woo-Fu

Banned
So why exactly are so many cops in the US fucked up?

How many are? Roughly 1.1 million police officers(state/local) in 2008. What percentage of them are fucked up? If you're basing your math on what you see in the news then roughly 99.9999% of cops are fucked up because those are the high-profile stories. You don't hear stories about all the other cops.

I think the problem(s) are a lot more complex than "a lot of fucked up cops".

One of the core problems is that in gun-friendly America cops who take chances are cops who get shot. Way too many handguns out there. Handguns that can be in a purse, waistband, backpack, etc. That means the rules of engagement favor overwhelming force when in doubt. You see a 5-foot-2 teenage girl. The cop sees somebody with an open pack who didn't hit the ground when the cop yelled at them.

Realistically, it doesn't matter that she is a girl, it doesn't matter that she is black, it doesn't matter that she is a poor fit to the description of the person they were looking for. She's in the way, she's a threat, and she's not doing what the cops tell her to do. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm saying this is the way it is. Cops are trained to respond with overwhelming force in that situation. I think he showed pretty good judgement going with the dog over the taser or the baton. See, I'm not even considering whether he should have done nothing at all. The rules of engagement said he had to do something.

This isn't a "bad cop" issue. This is a reality of policing in the United States, particularly in high-crime areas.

You want to change that? For starters significantly reduce the number of unregistered handguns floating around---good luck with that---even if you could get a Republican-controlled government onboard it won't matter because we're going to be 3d-printing handguns with Office Depot level tech any day now. Secondly you need evolutionary advances in defensive gear. If cops don't have to fear for their life in every encounter then you can go with much more passive rules of engagement.

All that said, I'm sure there are plenty of "bad" cops. Bad people exist in all professions, after all. That doesn't change until you start hiring machines instead of humans. You do what you can to weed them out but it is impossible to get all of them before anything bad happens. Do police protect their own? Of course they do. Is every incident like this where the officer doesn't face harsh punishment merely a case of protecting their own? Yes and no. If an officer is following established procedure he/she isn't the one who should be the target, of course you protect that officer. This case, it appears to me the officer was following procedure. We don't have to like that procedure, but we do have to take it into consideration when trying to judge the officer, don't we?

Ixzion

^
This post can't be serious.

It looks very serious. And the amount of "fucked-up" is pretty mellow compared to some other posts in here. I suppose one should be grateful that they didn't use the traditional "was no angel" defense.

Aselith

A Bakersfield police spokesman told The Washington Post he would not comment further on the case but confirmed that the department had determined that the officers had exercised appropriate use of force on Hargrove.

Well, first of all, spokesman, it wasn't the right person...

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Are you fucking kidding me? In what world does vaguely looking like someone (EVEN IF SHE WAS A MALE THIS WOULD BE FUCKING TERRIFYING) condone siccing a dog on someone?! Her backpack was unzipped? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

She resisted? Motherfucker sicced a dog on her and beat the shit out of her, and she had no idea what was going on, what was she supposed to do - pass out? Maybe her rag dolling would be resisting too.

Nah, this needs action.

Top Bottom