• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bakersfield Police Beat Teen Girl Because "She appeared to be a male"

Vice

How many are? Roughly 1.1 million police officers(state/local) in 2008. What percentage of them are fucked up? If you're basing your math on what you see in the news then roughly 99.9999% of cops are fucked up because those are the high-profile stories. You don't hear stories about all the other cops.

I think the problem(s) are a lot more complex than "a lot of fucked up cops".

One of the core problems is that in gun-friendly America cops who take chances are cops who get shot. Way too many handguns out there. Handguns that can be in a purse, waistband, backpack, etc. That means the rules of engagement favor overwhelming force when in doubt. You see a 5-foot-2 teenage girl. The cop sees somebody with an open pack who didn't hit the ground when the cop yelled at them.

Realistically, it doesn't matter that she is a girl, it doesn't matter that she is black, it doesn't matter that she is a poor fit to the description of the person they were looking for. She's in the way, she's a threat, and she's not doing what the cops tell her to do. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm saying this is the way it is. Cops are trained to respond with overwhelming force in that situation. I think he showed pretty good judgement going with the dog over the taser or the baton. See, I'm not even considering whether he should have done nothing at all. The rules of engagement said he had to do something.

This isn't a "bad cop" issue. This is a reality of policing in the United States, particularly in high-crime areas.

You want to change that? For starters significantly reduce the number of unregistered handguns floating around---good luck with that---even if you could get a Republican-controlled government onboard it won't matter because we're going to be 3d-printing handguns with Office Depot level tech any day now. Secondly you need evolutionary advances in defensive gear. If cops don't have to fear for their life in every encounter then you can go with much more passive rules of engagement.

All that said, I'm sure there are plenty of "bad" cops. Bad people exist in all professions, after all. That doesn't change until you start hiring machines instead of humans. You do what you can to weed them out but it is impossible to get all of them before anything bad happens. Do police protect their own? Of course they do. Is every incident like this where the officer doesn't face harsh punishment merely a case of protecting their own? Yes and no. If an officer is following established procedure he/she isn't the one who should be the target, of course you protect that officer. This case, it appears to me the officer was following procedure. We don't have to like that procedure, but we do have to take it into consideration when trying to judge the officer, don't we?
For this case? It's organizational.

From the last: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_County_child_abuse_cases
To today: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/01/the-county-kern-county-deadliest-police-killings

Law enforcement in the area have had problems of abuse of power or excessive force.

Binabik15

Probably, in their mind. My "magic negro" comment above actually has a lot of truth to it, police employ next to ZERO logic when dealing with black people. They didn't see the machete at the time so that must mean it could be anywhere, even in the backpack of someone who doesn't match the description, so we better send in the attack dog.

Walter Scott could have run into the first house he saw and raped and murdered everyone inside, so he had to be shot.

Eric Garner could have summoned his super human black man strength and killed everyone nearby so they had to pile over a 1000 pounds of officer on him and crush him to death.

Hell, didn't the dude who shot Mike Brown straight up called him a demon or some shit?

They deal with white people based on what could actually happen in that very moment, and they deal with non-whites based on anything that could happen under any circumstances in any reality.

Heck, the machete could have LITERALLY been inside the cop's back without him noticing it thabks to Negro sleight of hand!

I'm glad you guys have hundreds of thousands of poorly screened, barely trained but heavily armed cops in not-even-the-feds-know how many departments serving as a "thin" blue line against being prosecutes for their wrongdoi...err, chaos and crime.

t0va

Of would say this is the phrase that pays but it's really the phrase that saves.....

“I told him ‘I can’t breathe, I can’t breathe’ and then I started yelling out, ‘Somebody help me, somebody help me! They’re gonna kill me!’” she said.

Remember this people.

This needs to be bolder in the OP

So why exactly are so many cops in the US fucked up?

There was a saying I heard a long time ago that I won't even try to repeat because I'll fuck it up, but it essentially alluded to asking someone to do a job that will pay them relatively little to put their life on the line almost daily in order to help other people and be responsible for the welfare of complete strangers. The sane ones will opt to be firefighters or EMTs while the crazy ones will always choose to be a cop.

Ogodei

She was no angel
Dehumanizing stare
He was just a bad apple

Did we cover all the excuses people will use in order to act like this shitstain didn't do anything bad?

The bad apple argument is separate from the other two. It comes from people who aren't so deluded or so scummy as to either refuse to believe there's a problem (either through a belief that police are infallible or that minorities deserve it just 'cuz), but who don't want to view the police problem as one systemic to the policing culture.

I tend to split hairs between the two, most cops probably want to do good in their communities, but a rotten culture which is championed by a small subset of sociopaths subverts the ones who just want to help people.

Kind of like sexual harassment in the workplace, it's usually not the case that a company with a toxic harassment culture is predominantly staffed by sexual predators, it's just a handful of sexual predators who have dominant positions in the company and then shape the culture.

Also because saying "fire all cops" might sound good, but it's not a reasonable solution because saying #yesallcops will never fly politically, even if the majority of people could agree to more measured and less systemic reforms.

Toxi

Banned
How many are? Roughly 1.1 million police officers(state/local) in 2008. What percentage of them are fucked up? If you're basing your math on what you see in the news then roughly 99.9999% of cops are fucked up because those are the high-profile stories. You don't hear stories about all the other cops.

I think the problem(s) are a lot more complex than "a lot of fucked up cops".

One of the core problems is that in gun-friendly America cops who take chances are cops who get shot. Way too many handguns out there. Handguns that can be in a purse, waistband, backpack, etc. That means the rules of engagement favor overwhelming force when in doubt. You see a 5-foot-2 teenage girl. The cop sees somebody with an open pack who didn't hit the ground when the cop yelled at them.

Realistically, it doesn't matter that she is a girl, it doesn't matter that she is black, it doesn't matter that she is a poor fit to the description of the person they were looking for. She's in the way, she's a threat, and she's not doing what the cops tell her to do. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm saying this is the way it is. Cops are trained to respond with overwhelming force in that situation. I think he showed pretty good judgement going with the dog over the taser or the baton. See, I'm not even considering whether he should have done nothing at all. The rules of engagement said he had to do something.

This isn't a "bad cop" issue. This is a reality of policing in the United States, particularly in high-crime areas.

You want to change that? For starters significantly reduce the number of unregistered handguns floating around---good luck with that---even if you could get a Republican-controlled government onboard it won't matter because we're going to be 3d-printing handguns with Office Depot level tech any day now. Secondly you need evolutionary advances in defensive gear. If cops don't have to fear for their life in every encounter then you can go with much more passive rules of engagement.

All that said, I'm sure there are plenty of "bad" cops. Bad people exist in all professions, after all. That doesn't change until you start hiring machines instead of humans. You do what you can to weed them out but it is impossible to get all of them before anything bad happens. Do police protect their own? Of course they do. Is every incident like this where the officer doesn't face harsh punishment merely a case of protecting their own? Yes and no. If an officer is following established procedure he/she isn't the one who should be the target, of course you protect that officer. This case, it appears to me the officer was following procedure. We don't have to like that procedure, but we do have to take it into consideration when trying to judge the officer, don't we?
This post is unbelievable.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
After reading the thread title I knew she was black. Of course there will be no consequences for this piece of shit, he's legally allowed to harm or murder minorities. If he's lucky he may get a paid vacation, courtesy of all taxpayers. If I were a racist asshole without a conscience, being a cop would be the perfect job for me (with the extra bonus of sexism in this particular case).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
bakersfield continuing to earn its reputation as the anus of california.

krazen

I don't blame the officers (well I do, lol) since they are basically placed in a position where they are implicitly told thay can do whatever they want with little hiring standards in comparison to the importance of the job

The problem is the police department puts out a press release with the same lies and they stick to the story until there is irrefutable evidence to the contrary then its a 'My bad!' and a botched prosecution.

The Fed's should get involved whenever a police report/press release is patently false. At least a 'good' cop might rightfully be afraid of retribution on the street level, but tor lieutenants and others at least the managerial level there is no excuse but racism.

Syriel

This is very much on the officer.

They said they wanted to search her backpack. She asked if they had a warrant.

Hargrove was completely within her legal rights to tell Officer Moore to eff off. Moore chose to escalate and attack a teenage girl with no basis.

If Officer Moore couldn't tell the difference between a 19 year-old, 5'2" girl and a 25-30 year-old, 5'10" man then he is either lying, or so incredibly incompetent that he shouldn't be holding a badge. And it's difficult to believe anyone could be that dumb.

Let's be honest here. The most likely occurrence is that Moore saw a black person and that was all he needed to know in his mind. He figured she's black, he's an authority figure, and there is little risk to him trampling her rights because what's she going to do?

The organization issue is that the rest of the department didn't come down on Moore for being a racist ass and punish him, not only for excessive force, but for civil rights violations, not to mention wasting time when he was supposed to be, you know, looking for a suspect, and not just detaining random black people.

As for your comments about the 2A and guns, that's a bunch of BS. Police Unions are one of the biggest GOP supporters out there. Police Unions WANT people to have guns. And if you're going by who buys guns in the US, a random white dude is more likely to be packing than a random black girl.

There is no defense for what happened here if what Hargrove says is true (and the written statements by Moore seem to back up her side of the story pretty well).

Are you fucking kidding me? In what world does vaguely looking like someone (EVEN IF SHE WAS A MALE THIS WOULD BE FUCKING TERRIFYING) condone siccing a dog on someone?! Her backpack was unzipped? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

She resisted? Motherfucker sicced a dog on her and beat the shit out of her, and she had no idea what was going on, what was she supposed to do - pass out? Maybe her rag dolling would be resisting too.

Nah, this needs action.

You joke, but they charged her with assault because she fell on an officer while trying to escape from the attack.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Puss ass cop afraid of a 5 foot 2 inch female. An open bag in reach? Instead of asking the person to identify themselves I'll sic my living biting weapon on her. Ayyy protocols followed.

Fuck the po-lice.

velociraptor

In the UK, we have the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), and this shit would never fly here.

I'm amazed cops in America seemingly get away with whatever the fuck they want without any kind of repercussions.

In the UK, we have the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), and this shit would never fly here.

I'm amazed cops in America seemingly get away with whatever the fuck they want without any kind of repercussions.

We got Blue Lives Matter laws on the books, so you shouldn't be.

We don't have to like that procedure, but we do have to take it into consideration when trying to judge the officer, don't we?
Every single "point" you bring is nothing but the same old garbage you hear on all these threads. It's honestly pathetic.

GAF ain't great, but I'm shocked that with 3-4 active threads on this, you can essentially predict the comments about how the news are against the police, how in desperation they don't know better, how anyone could carry a weapon, how the victim should have (insert ways to make a white person comfortable), how they should have let the cop step over his rights because it's fine when it happens to a person of color, etc.

Every fucking time.

I am kinda tired of the Police vs Black folks news, they just making me really angry at cops and paranoid and extra cautious around them

I've always been cautious around them since I was child when I got separated from my moM and went to a cop for help and when my mom came back he tried to accuse her of abandoning me.

Not

Banned
Fucking infuriating.

"Stop lying, that's a woman's name"

Pieces of fucking shit. You don't see gender, or height, or anything, all you see is "n*****" don't you?

Fuck cop culture and fuck cops who condone it.

Nepenthe

If you understand the racial dynamics of America, this isn't particularly amazing at all, since the system is working as intended.

That being said, it's a shitty system. Fuck the police.

rudger

I'm interested in this as well. All the threads recently motivated me to start making a list of cases with links in my notes app. I feel something like that must exist already, but if not I'm interested in starting one. I know very little about hosting websites though.
I don't have income either.

You should start a thread and update it as new stories pop up. Maybe organize the articles by state...this is super depressing.

Dart

I've always been cautious around them since I was child when I got separated from my mon and went to a cop for help and when my mom came back he tried to accuse her of abandoning me.

I've had a similar experience. Which is sad because from what I've seen in my local community, people are hesitant to call the police in situations where they are needed to "avoid trouble"

I've had a similar experience. Which is sad because from what I've seen in my local community, people are hesitant to call the police in situations where they are needed to "avoid trouble"

Yeah on that day when I told my mom I went to him because that's what they taught me to do in school she told me that advice is meant for white people.

jay

One of the core problems is that in gun-friendly America cops who take chances are cops who get shot.

Being a cop is not in the top 10 most dangerous professions and is not even number one on most likely to be murdered. About 65 cops were killed by gun fire last year in the country. The threat of imminent danger is a good justification for why they should never be held accountable for their violence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/28/charted-the-20-deadliest-jobs-in-america/

Dead Man

Fucking pathetic. And these bullshit resisting arrest charges when you are being attacked are fucking insane.

Yeah on that day when I told my mom I went to him because that's what they taught me to do in school she told me that advice is meant for white people.

Jesus. I'm fucking ashamed that she had to tell you that. Shit is so fucked up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
They beat and then had a dog attack an innocent woman, then charged her with crimes for the act of simply living her life, and have the gall to claim they did nothing wrong.

Fuck you.

All that said, I'm sure there are plenty of "bad" cops. Bad people exist in all professions, after all.

All cops are bad.

There is not one good cop in the United States of America. If you are defending any cop you are defending racist murderers.

Being a cop is not in the top 10 most dangerous professions and is not even number one on most likely to be murdered. About 65 cops were killed by gun fire last year in the country. The threat of imminent danger is a good justification for why they should never be held accountable for their violence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/01/28/charted-the-20-deadliest-jobs-in-america/

Not to mention the fact that it's not really the precene of firearms that makes the cop "fear for his life"

https://blavity.com/11-times-police-successfully-disarmed-white-people-without-killing-anyone/

It's the presence of black skin that sets off their fears.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A Bakersfield police spokesman told The Washington Post he would not comment further on the case but confirmed that the department had determined that the officers had exercised appropriate use of force on Hargrove.

Fuck them.

The discussion is much bigger than "bad cop/good cop". It's a criminal justice system that is utterly broken and criminalizes being black and often even black culture. It's systemic from cops to DAs to judges.

Syriel

All cops are bad.

There is not one good cop in the United States of America. If you are defending any cop you are defending racist murderers.

America is a big place and quite varied.

You'll get no argument that there are corrupt cops and racist departments.

But to make a claim like you just did is no different than saying all Muslims are terrorists.

Verelios

*awaits posters from the police funeral thread*
Best believe they're waiting to blast out #notallcops, #Shewasresisting and one bad apple. You can already see them gearing up for it, which is a fucking shame since they're just blinding themselves to what will eventually be a complete police state. Man, fuck them, hope they never say shit when there are no more minorities to be corralled and it's just them and the police.

Bakersfield is garbage. I witnessed more racisim in that town than I did 12 years in back woods North Carolina. And that's saying something.

Speaking of NC, didn't some cop just run over someone last week in Charlotte or something? I think he was responding to a call and going over 100mph and struck a pedestrian.

Derwind

*blasts Fuck the Police*

giphy.gif

No justice, no peace. Fuck the police.

Dai101

Banned

But to make a claim like you just did is no different than saying all Muslims are terrorists.

Right about now, N.W.A. court is in full effect
Judge Dre presiding
In the case of N.W.A. vs. the Police Department
Prosecuting attorneys are MC Ren, Ice Cube
And Eazy-motherfucking-E

Order, order, order
Ice Cube, take the motherfucking stand
Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth
And nothing but the truth so help your black ass?

You goddamn right!

Well won't you tell everybody what the fuck you gotta say?

Fuck the police coming straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad cause I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority
Fuck that shit, cause I ain't the one
For a punk motherfucker with a badge and a gun
To be beating on, and thrown in jail
We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell
Fucking with me cause I'm a teenager
With a little bit of gold and a pager
Searching my car, looking for the product
Thinking every nigga is selling narcotics
You'd rather see, me in the pen
Than me and Lorenzo rolling in a Benz-o
Beat a police out of shape
And when I'm finished, bring the yellow tape
To tape off the scene of the slaughter
Still getting swoll off bread and water
I don't know if they fags or what
Search a nigga down, and grabbing his nuts
And on the other hand, without a gun they can't get none
But don't let it be a black and a white one
Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top
Black police showing out for the white cop
Ice Cube will swarm
On any motherfucker in a blue uniform
Just cause I'm from the CPT
Punk police are afraid of me, huh
A young nigga on the warpath
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath
Of cops, dying in L.A
Yo Dre, I got something to say

Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police

Pull your god damn ass over right now
Aww shit, now what the fuck you pullin me over for?
Cause I feel like it!
Just sit your ass on the curb and shut the fuck up
Man, fuck this shit
Aight, smartass, I'm taking your black ass to jail!

MC Ren, will you please give your testimony
To the jury about this fucked up incident?

Fuck the police and Ren said it with authority
Because the niggas on the street is a majority
A gang is with whoever I'm stepping
And the motherfucking weapon is kept in
A stash box, for the so-called law
Wishing Ren was a nigga that they never saw
Lights start flashing behind me
But they're scared of a nigga so they mace me to blind me
But that shit don't work, I just laugh
Because it gives them a hint not to step in my path
For police, I'm saying, "Fuck you punk!"
Reading my rights and shit, it's all junk
Pulling out a silly club, so you stand
With a fake-ass badge and a gun in your hand
But take off the gun so you can see what's up
And we'll go at it punk, and I'ma fuck you up!
Make you think I'mma kick your ass
But drop your gat, and Ren's gonna blast
I'm sneaky as fuck when it comes to crime
But I'ma smoke them now and not next time
Smoke any motherfucker that sweats me
Or any asshole that threatens me
I'm a sniper with a hell of a scope
Taking out a cop or two, they can't cope with me
The motherfucking villain that's mad
With potential, to get bad as fuck
So I'ma turn it around
Put in my clip, yo, and this is the sound
{​*BOOM, BOOM*}​
Yeah, something like that
But it all depends on the size of the gat
Taking out a police would make my day
But a nigga like Ren don't give a fuck to say

Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police

Yo man, what you need?
Police, open out!
Aww shit
We have a warrant for Eazy-E's arrest
Get down and put your hands up where I can see 'em
(Move motherfucker, move now!)
What the fuck did I do, man what did I do?
Just shut the fuck up
And get your motherfucking ass on the floor
(You heard the man, shut the fuck up!)
But I didn't do shit
Man just shut the fuck up!

Eazy-E, won't you step up to the stand
And tell the jury how you feel about this bullshit?

I'm tired of the motherfucking jacking
Sweating my gang, while I'm chilling in the shack, and
Shining the light in my face, and for what?
Maybe it's because I kick so much butt
I kick ass -- or maybe cause I blast
On a stupid-ass nigga when I'm playing with the trigger
Of an Uzi or an AK
Cause the police always got something stupid to say
They put out my picture with silence
Cause my identity by itself causes violence
The E with the criminal behavior
Yeah, I'm a gangsta, but still I got flavor
Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?
A sucker in a uniform waiting to get shot
By me, or another nigga
And with a gat it don't matter if he's smaller or bigger
(MC Ren: Size don't mean shit, he's from the old school fool)
And as you all know, E's here to rule
Whenever I'm rolling, keep looking in the mirror
And ears on cue, yo, so I can hear a
Dumb motherfucker with a gun
And if I'm rolling off the 8, he'll be the one
That I take out, and then get away
While I'm driving off laughing this is what I'll say

Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police

The verdict

The jury has found you guilty of being a redneck
White bread, chickenshit motherfucker
But wait, that's a lie! That's a god damn lie!
Get him out of here!
Get him the fuck out my face!
I want justice!
Out, right now!
Fuck you, you black motherfuckers!

Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police
Fuck Tha Police

*blasts Fuck the Police*

giphy.gif

No justice, no peace. Fuck the police.

PREACH IT.

No it isnt.

"Good" cops are literally driven out of the force. If you don't beat and kill minorities, if you try and hold yourself to a higher standard, if you don't tolerate corruption then you are harassed, threatened, and fired.

Good cops stop being cops.

Top Bottom