• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barge-Size Noah’s Ark Is a Creationist’s Wet Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Barge-Size Noah’s Ark Is a Creationist’s Wet Dream

Built by Christians who believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, a 510-foot-long, $100 million “replica” of Noah’s Ark is set to open in a new Kentucky theme park later this week. Critics say the attraction is nothing more than a big church that’ll be used to perpetuate creationist nonsense.

The new theme park, called called Ark Encounter, will officially open in Williamstown, Kentucky, on July 7. Yesterday, some 7,000 guests were invited to a special ribbon-cutting ceremony. Construction of the giant ship, which has been ongoing since 2010, was initiated by Answers in Genesis, a Christian group headed by Ken Ham. The structure is meant to commemorate the work of Noah, and to stand as a proof that the stories in the Bible are true.

lbfmfy9liowkc7eiow7g.jpg

yxrzuktbekm4xdenpffa.jpg

The full-sized ark, built according to the dimensions stated in the Bible, measures 510 feet long, 85 feet wide, and 51 feet high. The interior features several exhibits, including displays of Noah’s family, rows of cages containing animal replicas, and even the odd dinosaur. (Answers in Genesis, like many fundamentalist Christians, believe that dinosaurs existed 6,000 years ago but were wiped out in the Great Flood.)

Funding for the project was initially sluggish, but things changed when Ham debated Bill Nye “the Science Guy” in 2014. The resulting exposure resulted in a sizable surge in donations for the ark park, including a local bond issuance that channeled tens of millions of dollars into the effort. (Later, Nye would say he was “heartbroken and sickened” by the turn of events).

In another boost, a federal judge recently said the religious project could receive sales tax incentives worth up to $18 million, so long as strict religious tests were administered to employees. Critics say the judge’s decision is a violation of separation of church and state.

Yes-this definitely proves that Noah built a giant ark thousands of years ago with modern construction equipment.

Here's a look at the rubes patrons to this fictitious exhibit.

fnchtkuzcwopw86upzed.jpg

WillyFive

They still insist in making it look like a boat just like their Sunday school coloring books; when if it was real it would have been just a big box.

Izuna

Banned
DINOSAURS ON THE ARC

Oh my god

My Mom was the sort of person to dislike everything there was in a Natural History Museum "the Earth isn't that old!" she said, but she did agree on pangaea.

$100 million.

Imagine all the starving homeless and poor that could have fed.

But nope, gotta fight the losing creationist fight.

dakun

waste of space, time and money.

(Answers in Genesis, like many fundamentalist Christians, believe that dinosaurs existed 6,000 years ago but were wiped out in the Great Flood.)

wait.. why were they on the Ark then?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If that thing is seaworthy, we need to take it out for a spin.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is a backfire. Hey people, here's this thing we built to bible spec that's clearly not seaworthy and cannot fit half the animals you'll find in an average zoo.

Well done.

Geist-

I usually don't care about what other people believe, but Creationists honestly sicken me. Pure fucking ignorance, and they fight so hard to push these idiotic beliefs on everyone else.

U2NUMB

DINOSAURS ON THE ARC

Oh my god

My Mom was the sort of person to dislike everything there was in a Natural History Museum "the Earth isn't that old!" she said, but she did agree on pangaea.

What is always amazing to me and I have had this same "talk" with my mom is that .. lets for a minute buy what they think. That the earth is 6000 years old or whatever... and was created by a God. Ok cool.. if I were them I would simply say well if it was able to create a world why not a mature world with a history of millions of years.

They never go down that route.. and it always baffles me but whatever.

Fuchsdh

The note about Bill Nye really drives home that it doesn't matter if it makes you feel smart or superior, arguing with these people and giving them forums is giving them attention and money they wouldn't otherwise have. In the internet age, the way to kill ideas is to ignore the ones not worth engaging with.

Pterion

'Murica. Instead of spending more on education and a better justice system, let's blow money on an ark... And I say this as someone who goes to church every week. Priorities...

Volimar

It doesn't prove anything. James Cameron built a titanic replica, are we supposed to believe that means it really existed?

Dalek

The note about Bill Nye really drives home that it doesn't matter if it makes you feel smart or superior, arguing with these people and giving them forums is giving them attention and money they wouldn't otherwise have. In the internet age, the way to kill ideas is to ignore the ones not worth engaging with.

Yeah I hated that Nye did that because it gives this nudnik the spotlight and some form of credibility.

Izuna

Banned
What is always amazing to me and I have had this same "talk" with my mom is that .. lets for a minute buy what they think. That the earth is 6000 years old or whatever... and was created by a God. Ok cool.. if I were them I would simply say well if it was able to create a world why not a mature world with a history of millions of years.

They never go down that route.. and it always baffles me but whatever.

Man the Bible had a dude NAMING all the animals in the Garden of Eden. I'm sorry but, whoever is Christian and thinks Scientology is loony is a hypocrite.

Audioboxer

The tax incentives are what are really disgusting. People can have things like this if they fund it themselves and not via special tax laws cause... religion.

That's a whole other barrel of fish to be let loose in another topic. Religion and tax in the US.

Cetra

'Murica. Instead of spending more on education and a better justice system, let's blow money on an ark... And I say this as someone who goes to church every week. Priorities...

A lot of these people believe the world is ending soon. Who cares about an education when you have to make sure you kiss the boogeyman in the sky's ass enough to escape hell.

mcz117chief

I usually don't care about what other people believe, but Creationists honestly sicken me. Pure fucking ignorance, and they fight so hard to push these idiotic beliefs on everyone else.

Creationism is a very wide concept though. Saying that God is responsible for all creation is totally fine but saying that evolution doesn't exist or that Earth is 6000 years old is not.

ReAxion

the people patronizing this establishment aren't interested in these things.

Aside from the ideas I don't believe in and think are factually wrong, I think it's pretty cool that somebody built something like this.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They should have used that 100 million dollars to build a recreation of Sodom and Gommora.

zbarron

I said money != food.

I can read thank you but in the words of Homer Simpson's brain "Money can be exchanged for goods and services."

I'm asking you to clarify your argument because on the surface it makes no sense. Even if we dive deeper into thinking that there is a limited amount of food (not really) it still makes little sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom