• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barkley 2 - an RPG sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden -- Kickstarter

N4Us

Kickstarter is up

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam

An OSX port of the original was also just released for anyone who didn't get a chance to play it

http://www.talesofgames.com/related_game/barkley-shut-up-jam-gaiden/

ac4bb4e58ac45be16539a4265f811916_large.png

Kickstarter said:
Indie edutainment moguls Tales of Game's Studios are pleased to announce The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa, the sequel to our 2008 roleplaying hit Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden. Colloquially called Barkley 2, it is the action roleplaying continuation of the riveting and intensely canon Hoopz Barkley SaGa.

The year is 666X. A powerful youngster, wise beyond his years, awakens from a B-Ball induced coma aboard the mysterious dwarf space ziggurat Necron 7, held captive by the Malevolent A.I. Cuchulainn. With no memory of who he is or where he came from, he adopts the identity of X114JAM9 and sets off into the Post-Cyberpocalyptic Wasteland in search of the enigmatic Cyberdwarf, the only one who can reveal to him the terrible truth behind his forgotten past and make sense of his harrowing future. Barkley 2 is a coming of age story, a story about love, hope, betrayal and redemption. It is a story about identity and sacrifice, a story about wayward jocks struggling for a purpose. It is a story about the trials of our dystopian future and most importantly...

...it is a story about You.

Barkley, Shut Up And Jam was very amusing when it was on 1up Show (I think).

Hopefully some "investor" "invests" on the pizza party so they game will be even better.

Lunar15

We are being incredibly careful about copyrights - we've talked to lawyers and have been given the okay. Everything we're doing is completely legal; we're not using ripped art and assets this time around and you'll notice we've been very careful about throwing around Charles Barkley's name!!

But the ripped art and assets were what made the first one SPECIAL.

Also, I'll pay a hefty kickstarter donation if we can just get Barkley on board here.

Alfredo

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of basketball-inspired character/monster designs in the video. But I loved the original Barkley so much that I'm donating anyway!

Azih

Alright who's going to put in 10K to have lunch with the pictures of the developers? (you will be responsible for the cost of the lunch).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Backed. I get the feeling that they would be much more successful with this Kickstarter if they didn't focus so much on joke rewards. But that's all part of the appeal, on some level.

JDSN

Banned
Pledge $1,000 or more
1 backer Sold out
Pose as Tales of Game's during an interview + all previous rewards. Being a prestigious edutainment vidcon corporation, Tales of Game's is often interviewed by the gaming media. At the $1000 reward tier, you will impersonate us during an interview - if the interview is through email, we will redirect all questions to you and if it is in person, you will pose as a member of the Tales of Game's team. Answer questions however you want, make things up, ruin our reputation, throw your feces, have a blast! We will not announce the switch before or after - it is a secret! Go nuts!

This is the best tier ever.

Aeana

This looks like a marked improvement over the first game in a lot of ways. Surprised at the shift in gameplay style, too.

Lunar15

True. Still, the writing was excellent and that should carry over just fine.

Yeah, I have high hopes for the writing, but stuff like Ghost Dad and Sweet Georgia Brown made me laugh the most. Weirdly, it was the low-fi kinda shitty stuff that made it memorable to me.

But hey, I'd rather have something new than a retread that fails to live up to the original.

Backed. I get the feeling that they would be much more successful with this Kickstarter if they didn't focus so much on joke rewards. But that's all part of the appeal, on some level.

Oddly enough, I'm finding the $10-$60 awards extremely reasonable for a gaming Kickstarter; I pledged $60 and I feel like I'll end up with an insane amount of content. But yeah, everything after that is kinda silly.

Surprised at the shift in gameplay style, too.

That's my biggest disappointment. The battle system was this crazy hybrid that felt like a spinoff of Super Mario RPG, and I absolutely loved it. I guess I'm looking forward to crazy guns, but I still love timing/skill based actions in a turned-based RPG

Also, they just posted their first update. I was kind of hoping they'd avoid the whole "stretch goal" and "every dollar means more development!!!" trap that every gaming kickstarter seems to fall in, but hopefully it works out.

We are currently working on stretch goals to make this game even better. We honestly did not expect this to reach our goal in less than a day, so we were caught a little off-guard, but we've got some very good stuff in the works that we think you will be excited about. I would also like to make it clear that we did not ask for enough money to work on this game full-time for a whole year, we asked for enough to work full-time for several months. Every single dollar that we get directly translates into more time we can work on Barkley 2, which means that it will be even bigger and better and funnier. We have huge ambitions for this game and the more you're able to contribute, the more realized our ambitions will be.

demidar

I thought the combat system was gonna be like Seiken Densetsu 3's, but it's just gonna be a top down mouse-aim shooter.

Dang.

Aeana

That's my biggest disappointment. The battle system was this crazy hybrid that felt like a spinoff of Super Mario RPG, and I absolutely loved it. I guess I'm looking forward to crazy guns, but I still love timing/skill based actions in a turned-based RPG

Also, they just posted their first update. I was kind of hoping they'd avoid the whole "stretch goal" and "every dollar means more development!!!" trap that every gaming kickstarter seems to fall in, but hopefully it works out.

Well, mechanically the first game was pretty sound, but the balancing bothered me quite a bit. Battles generally ended up taking too long for my tastes. I would have loved to see an improvement on that in this.

flowsnake

What's the alternative to stretch goals? More polish and testing?

demidar

Wouldn't more money lead to a longer dev time? They gotta put that money to use but it would be nice if the game came out on a relatively quick basis. They're probably gonna agonize over what to stuff the game with.

What's the alternative to stretch goals? More polish and testing?

I agree that's a major flaw of Kickstarter - having some sort of ceiling would make more sense.

Feature creep is a very real, very dangerous project killer. It's easy to be ambitious and stargazing when you're at the fundraising stage, but any dollars-to-efforts calculations will likely be 100% incorrect by the time the project is in full swing, and the extra burden to add features without the time or cash could be far worse to the project than "losing money" by imposing a cap

I guess we'll see what happens. Imagine a Game Maker based satire RPG getting 100k+, though. crazy.

e: Also, TiG dudes responded to my Kickstarter comments like champs:
Yeah Josh. We have a handful of things we'd really like to have for this game (like ports and a few other things we'll announce soon) but probably can't without further funding, but the majority of the stretch goal money goes towards making sure we can work full-time on this game longer.

Khezu

I'd wish they stop the KS early (if possible).
Well, maybe after another 10k.

You never know.

Is that even possible?

Can people put caps on kickstarter also? I think getting too much money could actually fuck some people over if there not careful.

Gilgamesh

Pledge $1,000 or more
1 backer Sold out
Pose as Tales of Game's during an interview + all previous rewards. Being a prestigious edutainment vidcon corporation, Tales of Game's is often interviewed by the gaming media. At the $1000 reward tier, you will impersonate us during an interview - if the interview is through email, we will redirect all questions to you and if it is in person, you will pose as a member of the Tales of Game's team. Answer questions however you want, make things up, ruin our reputation, throw your feces, have a blast! We will not announce the switch before or after - it is a secret! Go nuts!

This is the best tier ever.

I hope they tell us which interview is the fake one.

joezombie

One of the stretch goals needs to be licensing the space jam theme

Also sort of doubt we're going to see much barkley in the final game or that the title will have barkley in it now that people will be paying for it

charsace

One of the stretch goals needs to be licensing the space jam theme

Also sort of doubt we're going to see much barkley in the final game or that the title will have barkley in it now that people will be paying for it

The main character's last name is Barkley.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The western RPG genre is rife for parodying at this point, but I'm not really sold on the battle system. Would have preferred more of a refinement of the timing-based turn-based system of the first game, and the one they have here sounds much more simplistic. Sprite art looks pretty nice though.

Dylan

5 years ago, this is the type of game that would have just been released to the internet for free as a joke. (Kind of like the original.) Strange to see this type of thing become a Kickstarter.

Amazing pixel art.

5 years ago, this is the type of game that would have just been released to the internet for free as a joke. (Kind of like the original.) Strange to see this type of thing become a Kickstarter.

Yes, that detailed pixel-art that is shown in the OP definitely is the work of a 'joker'.

Wtf? Also, this 'type of thing' is a videogame.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt

One of the developers behind the game posted about this at SomethingAwful. They actually have a pretty huge thread on the game over there if you are interested in it.

Why is Barkley 2 a commercial game when the original was free?

We made the original Barkley when we were (wise and powerful) youngsters with few responsibilities or expenses. Unfortunately, we have been thrust into the cruel world of adults, where we have expenses, bills, school payments and other stupid BS the man does to keep us down. Ideally, Barkley 2 would be a free game just like the original, but unfortunately we just can't do that. That's a big part of the reason why it's taken us so long to work on this, because we just did not have the capital means to make it!

Top Bottom