• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barkley 2 Teaser

Lunar15

I'm excited, but since it's paid, they can't reference real people and use the game music like they did in the last one.

I think these guys are clever enough to give them the benefit of the doubt, but that stuff was a big part of the first game's comedy.

Orayn

I don't trust this game to be anything more than a string of epic maymays.

I'm not worried about that at all. The first game created far more memes than it repeated, and if you read their KS backer updates you'd see that ToG is digging pretty deep into surreal humor and old, obscure games for their inspiration on this one.

I'm not worried about that at all. The first game created far more memes than it repeated, and if you read their KS backer updates you'd see that ToG is digging pretty deep into surreal humor and old, obscure games for their inspiration on this one.

Yeah, I knew most of these guys back in our GamingWorld.net days and parroting memes is the kind of shit I think they would hate. Now, parodying that kind of shit is another matter...

Rockk

Glad we finally got a release date! Can't wait! The first one was legitimately of the best RPGs of the last 10 years.

Russ T

Banned
Also, when I originally heard about Shut up and Jam, a friend of mine told me it would only really be entertaining if I was into basketball.

This is unequivocally false. It is a great game. I definitely missed some queues, but I've seen Space Jam a million times and honestly that's all I needed.

wmlk

I'm gonna love this being a huge basketball fan. I just need it to have all those references and likenesses. I'm hoping that's not all gone for the sequel.

The original Barkley has a Final Fantasy meets Super Mario RPG feel to its combat. It's absolutely worth playing for the setting + combat. Barkley 2 is going in a different direction and will likely be something like Diablo meets Borderlands

It's hard to explain the appeal of Barkley lore. It's this style of surreal absurdity that takes itself so seriously and so sincerely that it forces the player to buy into its universe.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hahaha, I love it. What an incredible parody. I just tweeted Liam from Tales of Game's to show my appreciation.

Am I the only one who thought the FFVII Remaster trailer's voiceover sounded like it was translated in the pre-Woolsey era of RPG translations?
Or FFXIII?

The rewards are something else

ToActcs.png

At the $100 level, in addition to all the previous rewards, you get a custom, full-sized Cyberdwarf body pillow to spend your lonely nights with. Though his knotted b-ball skin is rough, his touch is tender and his luscious applebottom is shapely domed. The Cyberdwarf body pillow ships with pillow case only, pillow not provided. Warning: Cyberdwarf is a well-established tsundere.

sabu.png

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Had the chance to meet with the developer at Otakon 2 years ago and play their SRPG take on basketball minigame (it's kinda like Blitzball but was still in development)... A little disappointed that the combat and gameplay is moving away from a traditional structure with Paper Mario combat into a more action-oriented western RPG, but the western RPG genre is ripe for parodying at this point (can't believe nobody ever has done it before this).

Mupod

Kickstarted this, all I can say is it's about damn time.

I think the original is the hardest I've ever laughed at a video game, like the 'jesus fuck I can't breathe' kind. And yet it's actually a legitimately good RPG.

Dartastic

Holy shit, wow. Biggest disappointment of PAX so far. It plays like Jurassic Park on the SNES with a roll mechanic. It's not a turn based RPG anymore. You walk around and shoot stuff.

Miker

Holy shit, wow. Biggest disappointment of PAX so far. It plays like Jurassic Park on the SNES with a roll mechanic. It's not a turn based RPG anymore. You walk around and shoot stuff.

That was my worry when I first saw the KS pitch. How was the writing, though? I can tolerate okay combat if the rest of the game is up to par.

nded

This is terrible and not funny.
Wrong.

Personally, the turn-based battles were just things I tolerated because everything else about it was so fascinating and weird. As long as it gets the tone right I'm okay with what I played at PAX today. There was also the grid-based tactical b-ball battles which looked interesting.

Top Bottom