• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Grief.exe

Valve hasn't added retail keys to the database yet. My guess is that this won't be done until Asylum and City vanilla have been patched, which I'm hoping happens today.

I doubt they were ever planning on issuing a patch to those titles.

They don't have any test depots ready on either registry app, and that was part of the justification of granting everyone the GOTY versions.
Now they don't have to test and patch 4 games, only 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I doubt they were ever planning on issuing a patch to those titles.

They don't have any test depots ready on either registry app, and that was part of the justification of granting everyone the GOTY versions.
Now they don't have to test and patch 4 games, only 2.

GFWL being removed in favour of Steamworks applies to both flavours of the game:

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I purchased both games through Steam. Where do I find my CD key?

Er-You don't need it if it's Steamworks. It's already activated.

If Steam doesn't pop-up a CD-key for you you're fine unless the game asks for a CD-key, then panic and contact Steam support.

Grief.exe

GFWL being removed in favour of Steamworks applies to both flavours of the game:

That might be in reference to the fact that when you activate your game on Steam, you get both the vanilla and GOTY version.

To make sure there is no interrupted service, we will be moving the game to Steam for verification and update services for both the Base and GOTY versions of Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City.

The only thing they are saying here is they are moving both versions of the game to Steam, which they have done. This statement does not allude or imply to anything further than that.

The registry evidence points to no patches being readied to go out for Batman:AA/AC either.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, there is just no evidence pointing in that direction. The ultimate question you have to ask yourself is, why would they go through the work? I can't think of any plausible reason for them to do so.

JaseC

That might be in reference to the fact that when you activate your game on Steam, you get both the vanilla and GOTY version.

The only thing they are saying here is they are moving both versions of the game to Steam, which they have done. This statement does not allude or imply to anything further than that.

The registry evidence points to no patches being readied to go out for Batman:AA/AC either.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, there is just no evidence pointing in that direction.

Perhaps, but I'm inclined to disagree given the phrasing of the post. Patching GFWL out of one game and leaving the other high and dry wouldn't make much sense.

The ultimate question you have to ask yourself is, why would they go through the work? I can't think of any plausible reason for them to do so.

As I mentioned earlier, applying the patches to the vanilla versions would be a trivial task as they're the same game -- the GOTY versions are just the vanilla versions with DLC thrown on top. Applying the code changes necessary to remove GFWL and replace it with Steamworks would be tantamount to copying and pasting (that's something of an understatement, but you get my point).

Grief.exe

Perhaps, but I'm inclined to disagree given the phrasing of the post. Patching GFWL out of one game and leaving the other high and dry wouldn't make much sense.

As I mentioned earlier, applying the patches to the vanilla versions would be a trivial task as they're the same game -- the GOTY versions are just the vanilla versions with DLC thrown on top. Applying the code changes necessary to remove GFWL and replace it with Steamworks would be tantamount to copying and pasting (that's something of an understatement, but you get my point).

Just because something is trivial doesn't mean they will go through the work to implement the fix. Someone earlier in the thread said that implementing Steamworks Leaderboards are trivial, especially when compared to the comparable service on GFWL, but they didn't bother to fix those either.

Here is why they likely won't do it. The vanilla versions aren't available anymore, and only a percentage of the fan base will own the vanilla versions at this point. While the entire fan base now owns the GOTY editions.
Why would they go through the work of patching and testing the vanilla versions when it doesn't effect the entirety of your consumers? Not to mention that the actual utility such a patch would provide to the owners would be minimal at best. Why play the regular versions when you have access to the 'superior' GOTY version?

Between the phrasing of the official press statement and the registry, there is just no evidence right now. Sorry Jase. I will keep my eyes on those entries though.

JaseC

Just because something is trivial doesn't mean they will go through the work to implement the fix. Someone earlier in the thread said that implementing Steamworks Leaderboards are trivial, especially when compared to the comparable service on GFWL, but they didn't bother to fix those either.

I didn't say it was concrete proof, but was just making the point that there's little work involved in propagating the changes.

Here is why they likely won't do it. The vanilla versions aren't available anymore, and only a percentage of the fan base will own the vanilla versions at this point. While the entire fan base now owns the GOTY editions.
Why would they go through the work of patching and testing the vanilla versions when it doesn't effect the entirety of your consumers?

The vanilla version was being sold for a year before the GOTY version hit and while vanilla keys will activate the GOTY version, you can't ignore the fact that the vanilla version is being provided also. Patching out GFWL from both gives the player the choice to play whichever version he/she wants and, more to the point, precludes any future support enquiries about "my game not working". As the old piece of wisdom goes, "Do it once and do it right."

Between the phrasing of the official press statement and the registry, there is just no evidence right now. Sorry Jase.

I realise there's not much in the registry to suggest a patch is in the works (it's not exactly hard to discern), but we're at odds on what the community announcement suggests.

Grief.exe

As the old piece of wisdom goes, "Do it once and do it right."

Game developers don't seem to go by this adage unfortunate. Its mostly "Do it the cheapest."

I guess we can agree to disagree.

For what its worth, I just checked the registry for hidden achievements for vanilla AA and nothing was there.

Xanonano

Why would they go through the work of patching and testing the vanilla versions when it doesn't effect the entirety of your consumers?

Between the phrasing of the official press statement and the registry, there is just no evidence right now. Sorry Jase. I will keep my eyes on those entries though.

Actually the updated version of Arkham Asylum is based on the original, non-GOTY release. The version number is now 1.1 and the Game of the Year text is gone from the title screen. The menu option for the extra maps is also named Downloadable Content instead of Extra Content.
Retail GOTY version:
pIQz1fHl.png

gTbpyqll.png

Steam GOTY version:
6ULPCbel.jpg

PNaPA6Kl.jpg

Valnen

Heh, DX11 is still a ridiculous performance for me. Opening Catwoman fight scene runs at like 30 fps with DX11 features on and tessellation on high, 60 fps with DX11 features off. Also I can't believe there is still no mod for PS3 button prompts instead of Xbox ones.

Having real issues here with AA game save. No matter what I do, including deleting the data before the string 000001 in the gamesave will get it to work. Is it because I have two saves but tried just using save0.sgd and not save1.sgd too? I can't get into AA to create 2 empty new game saves because it crashes. Fuck. GOTY edition here.

Carm

Finally got a chance to check out AC GOTY and it looks like they did in fact include the Batman Inc. Suit, it just isn't detailed on the store page with the rest of the skins.

Grief.exe

Having real issues here with AA game save. No matter what I do, including deleting the data before the string 000001 in the gamesave will get it to work. Is it because I have two saves but tried just using save0.sgd and not save1.sgd too? I can't get into AA to create 2 empty new game saves because it crashes. Fuck. GOTY edition here.

Here is what Drizzle did to fix the AA save

Grief, sorry to spam the thread, but here's what I did:

Batman: Arkham Asylum Regular GFWL Edition to New Batman:Arkham Asylum Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd
  • go to position 0x0184 (that's the fifth place in the 25th line of your hex editor. There's a place that tells which position you are. Figure it out, it's not hard)
  • delete everything prior to that location
  • overwrite the save (you made a backup first, right?)
  • remove <profilename> from the save file, if you have it.
  • open the game once, start a new game on the save slot where your game was saved in
  • make sure the game saves at least once
  • quit the game
  • open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\remote
  • start the game and STOP on the loader. Do not click START GAME on the loader.
  • overwrite save0.gsd with your hexedited save file from before
  • start the game

Batman: Arkham City Regular GFWL Edition to New Batman:Arkham City Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd
  • open in a hex editor and HEX Search for 00:00:0E:00
  • delete everything prior to the only search hit
  • overwrite the save (you made a backup first, right?)
  • remove <profilename> from the save if you have it
  • open the game once, start a new game on the save slot where your game was saved in
  • make sure the game saves at least once
  • quit the game
  • open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
  • start the game and STOP on the loader. Do not click START GAME on the loader.
  • overwrite save0.gsd with your hexedited save file from before
  • start the game

Underlined step is to go around the cloud save sync that steam does. If you overwrite the save file before opening the game, Steam will just pull whatever was in the cloud (sometimes) and fuck it all up.

Italics Is the only different step from each game.

It's a more complex step-by-step, but I suck at explaining things in a concise manner.

Edit: Fixed the folders

drizzle

Axel Hertz
appreciate the help but i fall at the first point. I literally dont have a 'gamertag-save0 'file, for some reason its save0 and save1

Doesn't matter, you can use that as well.

My Arkham Asylum didn't have the profile part either. It's ok. Use that file nevertheless.

save0 and save1 means you had two save games at one point: One on the first entry on the save select menu, and another one on the second entry.

You can do it for both. It's the same proccess.

cplumbum

Neo Member
Actually the updated version of Arkham Asylum is based on the original, non-GOTY release. The version number is now 1.1 and the Game of the Year text is gone from the title screen. The menu option for the extra maps is also named Downloadable Content instead of Extra Content.

Nice! This was actually my biggest concern of being 'moved over' to the GOTY version - if you bought the vanilla version and all the DLC, it hardly felt like an upgrade and I didn't want to be greeted with the 'Game of the Year' title every time I booted the game up (I know, might seem a little silly, but these games are amongst my all-time favorites so I'm picky about it). Can anyone confirm this is now also the case with Steam's AC GOTY, that it doesn't say 'Game of the Year' on the title screen? I've only played the original release of AC..

Grief.exe

Nice! This was actually my biggest concern of being 'moved over' to the GOTY version - if you bought the vanilla version and all the DLC, it hardly felt like an upgrade and I didn't want to be greeted with the 'Game of the Year' title every time I booted the game up (I know, might seem a little silly, but these games are amongst my all-time favorites so I'm picky about it). Can anyone confirm this is now also the case with Steam's AC GOTY, that it doesn't say 'Game of the Year' on the title screen? I've only played the original release of AC..

This is a little bit absurd.

I got to the stage where it was corrupted, came out of it and went back in and now finally both are there! When it kept freezing i ended up deleting the saves in the steam folder and that allowed me to start from scratch. Not sure if that will help anyone else as I seem to have got in a mess more than anyone else, haha. Thanks for the help.

In terms of AC, I have a retail disc with GFWL and a serial key. Can I activate it on steam?

Grief.exe

I got to the stage where it was corrupted, came out of it and went back in and now finally both are there! When it kept freezing i ended up deleting the saves in the steam folder and that allowed me to start from scratch. Not sure if that will help anyone else as I seem to have got in a mess more than anyone else, haha. Thanks for the help.

In terms of AC, I have a retail disc with GFWL and a serial key. Can I activate it on steam?

You should be able to eventually, but the activation system is a bit borked right now. Waiting on Valve or Warner to add retail keys to the database.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Not sure this should have the "Full" controller support thing shown, game loads up a launcher before starting that you cant control with gamepad ....

Yeah, I pointed this out the other day. I think it may be a mistake, though, as Arkham City had a launcher, too. But now it uses the generic Steam launcher.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If you received the GOTY versions because you owned the vanilla versions, rather than having purchased them yourself, you're out of luck as Valve can only remove subscriptions from your account, and since the GOTY versions were added to the vanilla subs, you can't remove the vanilla versions without also removing the GOTY flavours.

Metro.

Holy crap, that's AWESOME.

Eusis

By the way, uhh, how the fuck am I supposed to be able to uninstall the DLC if the GFWL Marketplace client won't boot up? Am I missing something simple or am I going to have to bruteforce this and delete everything from their DLC folders?

Grief.exe

By the way, uhh, how the fuck am I supposed to be able to uninstall the DLC if the GFWL Marketplace client won't boot up? Am I missing something simple or am I going to have to bruteforce this and delete everything from their DLC folders?

Reinstall client from the Microsoft site and it should work.

I don't own either game on PC and I'd like to finally jump on them because of the promo, should I hold off until they iron out the issues or are they mainly happening to people that already owned the games?

epmode

Is anyone else getting an error when trying to open the GFWL Maraketplace from the standalone program? I just get a generic Connection Error message with no useful information. Could the service be down temporarily? I disabled my virus scanner and firewall but it didn't help.

I just want to uninstall any GFWL DLC I might have on my computer. God I hate GFWL.

Nabs

Is anyone else getting an error when trying to open the GFWL Maraketplace from the standalone program? I just get a generic Connection Error message with no useful information. Could the service be down temporarily? I disabled my virus scanner and firewall but it didn't help.

I just want to uninstall any GFWL DLC I might have on my computer. God I hate GFWL.

You're not the only one. You have to uninstall/reinstall the marketplace program to get it running.

epmode

Alright, thanks. I'll try that after backing up my computer.

The last thing I want is for Dark Souls to fuck up so I want to be sure that uninstalling the client won't break anything.

Eusis

I don't own either game on PC and I'd like to finally jump on them because of the promo, should I hold off until they iron out the issues or are they mainly happening to people that already owned the games?
They'll patch things out quickly it seems, I haven't had GFWL rear its ugly head again on me anyway. I'd say just take the plunge.
You're not the only one. You have to uninstall/reinstall the marketplace program to get it running.
Yeah, I was bringing up literally 5 posts before his, haha. GFWL is just that bad that probably the only reason anyone likes it is that they really, REALLY want their achievements, otherwise at best you're neutral because it hasn't really hit you bad, at worst it's completely wrecked your games, and I'm sure for the vast majority it has at least been annoying. Way too often have I needed to keep re-entering my PW because suddenly GFWL doesn't like what was saved, but once put back in its OK.

Eusis

Oh, I forgot I had a picture from when I benchmarked around when I originally got the game and now post-update and firmware updates. Haven't updated my system beyond a new Harddrive and a hand down monitor (ergo the new screenshot is at a higher resolution), but for anyone curious:

2011 Benchmark picture at 1680x1050
2013 Benchmark picture at 1980x1080
2013 Benchmark picture at 1980x1080 with CPU OC

i5 2500k/560 Ti, I forget the exact settings beyond what I jotted down for 2011, but for 2013 I know I maxed out everything other than what was listed and the AA (FXAA High, though it seems to be that on the old one too.) Driver updates probably did help since then, but it seems likely axing Securom significantly improved performance.

Grief.exe

Oh, I forgot I had a picture from when I benchmarked around when I originally got the game and now post-update and firmware updates. Haven't updated my system beyond a new Harddrive and a hand down monitor (ergo the new screenshot is at a higher resolution), but for anyone curious:

2011 Benchmark picture at 1680x1050
2013 Benchmark picture at 1980x1080

i5 2500k/560 Ti, I forget the exact settings beyond what I jotted down for 2011, but for 2013 I know I maxed out everything other than what was listed and the AA (FXAA High, though it seems to be that on the old one too.) Driver updates probably did help since then, but it seems likely axing Securom significantly improved performance.

Whoa. That is really interesting findings.

It performs so much better even at the higher resolution.

Ce-Lin

Can anyone confirm this is now also the case with Steam's AC GOTY, that it doesn't say 'Game of the Year' on the title screen? I've only played the original release of AC..

it doesn't say Game of The Year anywhere, same as AA GOTY, it even searches for installed DLC at boot up.

and even though my AC GOTY works fine without GFWL still have a CD-KEY for it displayed in "my library", don't know what to do to make it disappear or worthwhile since obviously it's not needed for the game to install / run.

There's different mechanisms in SecuRom you can enable, from simple one-time checks, to always-on-scanning-everything-that-loads bullshit.

So the ones that are more open world with lots of files (Textures, sfx, animations) to load are going to be impacted most.

Grief.exe

Pick them up! The issues have been ironed out, and the only issue left over is only for people trying to activate retail keys.

Top Bottom