• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Anyone else getting a black screen when starting a new game? it just stays on the black screen(Batman Arkham City GOTY) also I'm playing with an SLI system and running my Samsung TV as the second monitor. :(

Mogwai

Just playing through Arkham Asylum again and it's even better than first time around.

That transistion into the Scarecrow mission. Flawless.

The-Bean

Anyone else getting a black screen when starting a new game? it just stays on the black screen(Batman Arkham City GOTY) also I'm playing with an SLI system and running my Samsung TV as the second monitor. :(

Try disabling SLI. I had the same problem and had to disable crossfire (but for Arkham Asylum).

Wonko_C

Has anyone who transferred their vanilla AC save to the GOTY version been able to retroactively unlock all the achievements obtained up to that point? And if so, wouldn't that put your Steam account at risk?

Nokterian

Just playing through Arkham Asylum again and it's even better than first time around.

That transistion into the Scarecrow mission. Flawless.

The first time i played that,those sounds and visuals..really really haunting and still works!

Ahh cheers man, that fixed my problem, legend!

I wish I could blame my problem on SLI but I'm on a single AMD card. I may need to just skip AA for now. If only the game wouldn't override the vertical resolution setting to 1064 instead of 1080 every time it runs in Windowed mode I could easily work around it.

JohngPR

Going to have to try turning AA off and see if that solves my problem. Won't be able to test it until tomorrow though.

Dave_6

Yep both my saves for AA and AC are gone :( I was hoping that wasn't going to happen to everyone but I guess it did. I'm still not very PC literate but I'm going to attempt the save game fix anyways. Wish me luck!

While losing saves sucks after this long, you can now replay both games and enjoy them all over again :)

My retail AA still can't be activated on steam, but it's no biggie.

jett

D-Member
Fucking fuck, I thought they had fixed the stuttering bug of the PC version of AC? Dunno why I bothered getting the GOTY edition of this.

Dahaka

Do the skins/costumes activate for you guys? They don't for me. I hear the activation sound when pressing the combo at the start screen but there's no selection when continuing my game.

Someone mentioned they got better framerates in the new version, so I decided to test it myself:
http://abload.de/img/bmaa-gfwl8tsuv.jpg
http://abload.de/img/bmaa-steamworksbtsck.jpg

So it actually runs better now.

W2IX6bo.gif

jett

D-Member
This game still stutters like a motherfucker to me. Although it's weird, the first 30~ minutes of gameplay are fine, then it starts stuttering. It's annoying as hell.

Grief.exe

Someone mentioned they got better framerates in the new version, so I decided to test it myself:

Also, while finishing up new game+, I encountered a rather funny bug late in the game (minor spoilers regarding where I am in the story): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpOGmY-nRY

Great time for Shaq.gif

Let Securom and GFWL burn

ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif

This game still stutters like a motherfucker to me. Although it's weird, the first 30~ minutes of gameplay are fine, then it starts stuttering. It's annoying as hell.

Memory leak associated with your VRAM? I would check if you are maxed out on MSI Afterburner or similar program. You might want to turn some settings down.

if i got hired by valve, on my first day of work i would remove all the fucking punctuation errors, trademarks, mis-alphabetized sequels and other bullshit from the steam library and then i would quit, knowing that i contributed more to steam than anyone else who ever worked there did.

You forgot carrying library categories over to grid view.

WHYYYYYYY? THEY HAVE IT IN BPM WHY NOT THE REGULAR DAMNED CLIENT YOU BASTARDS. It's currently an inscrutable mess of poor impulse buys, oddly named betas, and separate pre-steamplay Mac versions that I'll never use.

Also, while finishing up new game+, I encountered a rather funny bug late in the game (minor spoilers regarding where I am in the story): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpOGmY-nRY

Impressive. That's an almost 10% increase from that simple removal. Was it just a simple GFWL removal though? Or could the porting team have also done a little optimization in their free time?

Ce-Lin

VRAM limited perhaps ? the game takes more than 1.5GB at times (and that's just in 1080p)

if VRAM is not a problem (2 GB) then it's definitely DirectX 11 and quite possibly your HDD transfer speed, have you tried playing on some SDD ? also the Unreal Engine 3 is not optimized for these semi-open world games full of details, Batman AC lacks some LOD tweaks when streaming assets. Switch to DX9 to play it butter smooth.

jett

D-Member
Not sure about VRAM leaks, but I'll try some lower settings I guess.

And can someone tell me why Steam keeps trying to install .NET every time I launch the game?

And can someone tell me why Steam keeps trying to install .NET every time I launch the game?

Something to do with it having a lot of development versions and it being impossible for some reason to check if you've got the right version on your machine already because MS is not that forward thinking or some technical mumbo jumbo. In other words, don't blame Valve/Steam but MS's silly API's/OS design. There's some Valve employee post explaining it in greater detail somewhere but I can't be arsed to find it.

epmode

I guarantee it's because one of the prerequisite installers is failing but it's set to silent mode so you never see the error. Ideally, Steam would realize that this isn't a problem and it would stop trying to reinstall every time but it didn't.

When I run into similar issues, I can usually get around them by uninstalling the appropriate .NET package from Windows, then relaunching the game. The package will install successfully and the game won't bother you about it again. The trick is finding exactly which package to uninstall.

PC GAMING

Grief.exe

You forgot carrying library categories over to grid view.

WHYYYYYYY? THEY HAVE IT IN BPM WHY NOT THE REGULAR DAMNED CLIENT YOU BASTARDS. It's currently an inscrutable mess of poor impulse buys, oddly named betas, and separate pre-steamplay Mac versions that I'll never use.

If you don't use the sexiness that is grid view, I secretly judge you.

They do need to fix some of the inconsistencies though

Grief.exe

You just need to go textless. ;)

Textless is very sexy, but I like the information that the text supplies.

I only go textless if I think the text is just ugly. For example, the FFVII and BF4 images there are textless. Bioshock Infinite could probably use some textless as well since it is quite ugly, but I only have that installed for card purposes.

To each their own I suppose... also I screencapped the Batman AA Crash Error I get, as soo as I press "start" on the title screen, about a second later the game gived me the "....exe stopped working" and this:
ikKxAzOC5rHaN.png

Grief.exe

To each their own I suppose... also I screencapped the Batman AA Crash Error I get, as soo as I press "start" on the title screen, about a second later the game gived me the "....exe stopped working" and this:
ikKxAzOC5rHaN.png

You were getting a bunch of crashes with Bioshock 2 as well, when was the last time you performed a reformat?

For those it may concern, GMG also has AA and AC GOTY on sale for the same prices Steam does (and $0.50 less if you buy them in their GOTY combo deal) plus an additional 25% off with the code: GMG25-GRV7N-YY833.

You were getting a bunch of crashes with Bioshock 2 as well, when was the last time you performed a reformat?

I'd say its been too long. Usually takes me a few weeks because I've got to gather up all my saves and configuration files for games that are scattered around the HDD, make a list of all important programs I use and need to re-install, and reactivate, etc. Archive any photos, videos and pictures taken, and then I back it all up to a temporary HDD before the format... the whole process is time consuming (about 2 weeks from start to finish) and I cant rush it because I don't want to miss any files.

I'll get around to it, it's been over a year since my last one and I usually do them every 6 months, in line with my PC teardowns/complete cleanings. I've just been kinda swamped with stuff to do lately.

Had the same problem - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86429689&postcount=329

Problem was a corrupt save from the cloud that wouldn't let me start the game.

How exactly do i remove the cloud save from the cloud? EDIT: Fixed it, just replaced the corrupted save with one I fixed with the GFWL Stripper someone posted. Worked great!

Reformat averted! (for now) Don't worry Grief, I'll get to it. I just wish I could gather up all these loose save games and configuration files faster, it takes forever when I have lots of non-steam games installed.

MrNelson

Banned
I wish I could blame my problem on SLI but I'm on a single AMD card. I may need to just skip AA for now. If only the game wouldn't override the vertical resolution setting to 1064 instead of 1080 every time it runs in Windowed mode I could easily work around it.

Alright, so I figured out how to keep it from crashing AND have it run full screen.

You can either disable in-game anti-aliasing and use an external application to force aa, or install the new 13.11 beta drivers, which will allow you to use the in-game aa without crashing.

Stitch

Gold Member
I guarantee it's because one of the prerequisite installers is failing but it's set to silent mode so you never see the error. Ideally, Steam would realize that this isn't a problem and it would stop trying to reinstall every time but it didn't.

When I run into similar issues, I can usually get around them by uninstalling the appropriate .NET package from Windows, then relaunching the game. The package will install successfully and the game won't bother you about it again. The trick is finding exactly which package to uninstall.

PC GAMING

I'll just go the game folder and delete all the redist crap.

Derrick01

Banned
So are the achievements for AA not firing for anyone else or is it just me?

They've been unlocking fine for me so far. Actually after reading this thread I'm considering myself lucky for not having any problems with the game at all yet. Haven't downloaded and tried AC yet though.

Grief.exe

Added all current save fixes and crash fixes to the OP

Crash Fixes:

Manually reinstall DirectX from Microsoft's website
Run in Windowed Mode to start
Back up save files and delete cloud-saves

Restore GFWL Saves:

Small tool to convert save games. Removes GFWL headers said:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810604990605/

I've made two small programs to easily strip the first 387/407 bytes (depending on the game) of the savegames:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6IpqUb2QmIcZzFjTXlyWWdkZ2c&usp=sharing#list

Arkham Asylum:

Grief, sorry to spam the thread, but here's what I did:

Batman: Arkham Asylum Regular GFWL Edition to New Batman:Arkham Asylum Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd (if you don't have <profilename> on your save file, it doesn't matter. Use that safe file anyway).
  • go to position 0x0184 (that's the fifth place in the 25th line of your hex editor. There's a place that tells which position you are. Figure it out, it's not hard)
  • delete everything prior to that location
  • overwrite the save (you made a backup first, right?)
  • remove <profilename> from the save file, if you have it.
  • open the game once, start a new game on the save slot where your game was saved in
  • make sure the game saves at least once
  • quit the game
  • open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\remote
  • start the game and STOP on the loader. Do not click START GAME on the loader.
  • overwrite save0.gsd with your hexedited save file from before
  • start the game

Batman: Arkham City Regular GFWL Edition to New Batman:Arkham City Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd (if you don't have <profilename> on your save file, it doesn't matter. Use that safe file anyway).
  • open in a hex editor and HEX Search for 00:00:03:00
  • delete everything prior to the only search hit
  • overwrite the save (you made a backup first, right?)
  • remove <profilename> from the save if you have it
  • open the game once, start a new game on the save slot where your game was saved in
  • make sure the game saves at least once
  • quit the game
  • open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
  • start the game and STOP on the loader. Do not click START GAME on the loader.
  • overwrite save0.gsd with your hexedited save file from before
  • start the game

Underlined step is to go around the cloud save sync that steam does. If you overwrite the save file before opening the game, Steam will just pull whatever was in the cloud (sometimes) and fuck it all up.

Italics Is the only different step from each game.

It's a more complex step-by-step, but I suck at explaining things in a concise manner.

Edit: Fixed the folders

Arkham City:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810549705289/

[How to!] Use old GFWL savegame in Steamwork version
Backup C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
Your GFWL savegame have your GFWL username as prefix.
<GFWLusername>-save#.sgd
Delete all files EXCLUDING these files: (remember the folder backup)
profile.bin and <GFWLusername>-save#.sgd
Open with a HEX editor the savefile you want <GFWLusername>-save#.sgd
Lets say Sharkiller-save0.sgd
Image Search Type HEX: 00 00 00 03 00
Image Select all the text BEFORE the searched text
Image And delete.
Save and remove your gfwl usename from the file. "save0.sgd"
Open the game and you have your working savegame there.

Tips
Don't mix patched with unpatched savefiles or the game could crash.
I'm using Hex Workshop but here's a free one:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-35737.html

Another posible locations for the savegames
Arkham City
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\57400\remote
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City\SaveData
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\WB Games\Batman Arkham City GOTY\SaveData

Arkham Asylum
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35010\remote
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\remote
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Square Enix\Batman Arkham Asylum\SaveData