• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

I actually don't care about my old saves. Gives me an excuse to replay the games along with origins. I'm going to have Batman Week on Twitch.

XOMTOR

Am I really gonna lose my save here if I let Steam update?
Again? Fuck.
I lost my halfway through saves TWICE through shitty GFWL encryption already early this year before the final save-fixing patch that stopped your game saves vanishing, and now that I'm 75% through now I won't be starting again, ever.
Tried all that hex editor shit last year, really can't be arsed again.
Hate PC gaming sometimes.

Try this:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/discussions/0/810938810707303888/

A Steam user wrote this small program that patches saves automatically. Rescued my non-GOTY Arkham City save by converting it to the GOTY edition. Phew.

Also, I'm also noticing less stuttering now. I still have both games installed and switching back and forth, the patched game is much smoother flying around the city. Good riddance GFWL and securom.

Grief.exe

ib2LYxVJZeL7l.gif

epmode

That's another thing. GFWL objectively affects framerate. I'm not sure if it happens in all games but I proved it in Dirt 3. I would actually lose ~15 frames if I logged into GFWL while online. If I disabled my network adapter before launching the game, the game would run significantly better.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Is it better to play AC in DX9 or DX11 ? Isn't DX 11 supposed to be pretty poorly optimised for AC ? I could be wrong of course, just wanted some folks opinion on it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's another thing. GFWL objectively affects framerate. I'm not sure if it happens in all games but I proved it in Dirt 3. I would actually lose ~15 frames if I logged into GFWL while online. If I disabled my network adapter before launching the game, the game would run significantly better.

Does it also murder your wife and kids?

Jesus people, the fact that you have shitty computers that can't run a DX Overlay on top of the game, or that the videocard got 25 drivers updates that SPECIFICALLY DENOTED that they improved the performance in a game 20% with each update and magically everything is now faster does not mean that either GFWL and Securom are 100% definitively the source of any and every performance/compatibility issues you had in the past.

dream

I got the free upgrade to the GOTY edition of Arkham City, but I've been getting "failed to contact key server" errors for the past day when trying to launch it. Is this the key problem people are talking about, or is it something separate?

Grief.exe

I got the free upgrade to the GOTY edition of Arkham City, but I've been getting "failed to contact key server" errors for the past day when trying to launch it. Is this the key problem people are talking about, or is it something separate?

You are playing the GOTY version correct? Not the vanilla version?

epmode

Jesus people, the fact that you have shitty computers that can't run a DX Overlay on top of the game, or that the videocard got 25 drivers updates that SPECIFICALLY DENOTED that they improved the performance in a game 20% with each update and magically everything is now faster does not mean that either GFWL and Securom are 100% definitively the source of any and every performance/compatibility issues you had in the past.

In Dirt 3's case, being connected to Live significantly affects my framerate. If I signed in while offline, then re-enabled my internet and alt-tabbed back in (so the game was still in offline mode) the framerate was still high. Being connected to Live was the catalyst. Other people confirmed the behavior in the thread where I mentioned it.

I suppose it could have been Codemasters' fault and not entirely on GFWL but I didn't care enough to research further.

Not sure why you're so defensive about a lousy, soon-to-be dead DRM technology.

edit: The Witcher 2 situation pretty definitively showed that Securom affects framerate as well.

Grief.exe

Yup. Well, trying to. Steam throws this up when I try to launch it:

Screenshot%202013-10-19%2018.50.50.png

then it errors out with a "failed to contact key server" dialog.

That generally happens when they have run out of keys which is very possible.

You could try reinstalling or repairing your existing install, but it might just be a matter of time.
They have already been having issues with retail activations.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

On one hand, that would be a rather embarrassing oversight; on the other, retail keys still don't activate, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Eusis

Granted my comparison was far apart (though even at worst it highlighted how much better things were after years of updates) there was a more recent comparison that showed a mild improvement and it was significant enough for Witcher 2 to get patched out, though unlike Arkham City that wasn't a game that most gaming-capable computers could crush at 60 FPS at medium. Removing that DRM's not a magical cure all, I doubt anything could've saved the Witcher 2 on an 8800GT short of coding to the metal and SPECIFICALLY for that card ala the Xbox port itself, and it certainly didn't get rid of my stuttering issues on a 4870 (seemed to be more a RAM limitation), but there's definitely an improvement noticed when removing that DRM in games.

GFWL I won't touch in regards to performance specifically, though that has a bunch of annoying issues beyond performance anyway, notably with save files and logging in. I haven't really noticed people talking about losing their save data post-update, worst is some achievements being missed (I actually noticed I missed at least one myself, the
chimney one
. Ah well.)

Reinstalling it did nothing, but I did manage to figure it out. If i use my DualShock 3(emulated as a 360 controller via this) I get no achievements. When I switched to the keyboard and mouse they unlocked no problem. Which is a little strange as its never caused a problem before for me in other games. So if you are using a DS3 that is probably the cause for you as well.

So i guess the question is is anyone getting the achievements using the dualshock 3 or any other type of controller?

hmm. interesting. i use both a 360 controller and a ds3 controller that's emulated to be a 360 one. i'll close the processes and test. I'll edit the post if i find anything.

EDIT: still the same thing. had a save right before the Szaz part, achievement didn't unlock. I'll try rebooting steam and the pc.

Almighty

hmm. interesting. i use both a 360 controller and a ds3 controller that's emulated to be a 360 one. i'll close the processes and test. I'll edit the post if i find anything.

EDIT: still the same thing. had a save right before the Szaz part, achievement didn't unlock. I'll try rebooting steam and the pc.

If that doesn't work try seeing if it unlocks when using the keyboard and mouse like it did for me. Besides that the only thing I can think of is reinstalling your controller drivers.

If that doesn't work try seeing if it unlocks when using the keyboard and mouse like it did for me. Besides that the only thing I can think of is reinstalling your controller drivers.

just tried with the mouse and keyboard. worked. well, i'l try re installing the drivers. if it still doesn't work, i'll just play with m+kb. Thanks!

Grief.exe

I play through so many games with M/KB that I probably should be using a controller. I will definitely break out the 360 controller for this game though.

Can't wait to switch over to the Steam controller.

I play through so many games with M/KB that I probably should be using a controller. I will definitely break out the 360 controller for this game though.

Can't wait to switch over to the Steam controller.

Mouse and keyboard are incredibly freeing in these games, the ability to run or glide and move the camera simultaneously alone is a massive advantage. Pulling up in a glide is a bit strange though. I don't recommend using a controller at all.

rothgar

Pretty happy I was able to move my old GFWL regular AC save to the STEAM AC GOTY edition via the patch. Now I can finish Harley Quinn's Revenge.

Anteater

Will buy AC tonight if nothing pops up on sales! I want to play as catwoman. Have 4.50 bucks from cards so only have to pay $3 :D

Hypron

Mouse and keyboard are incredibly freeing in these games, the ability to run or glide and move the camera simultaneously alone is a massive advantage. Pulling up in a glide is a bit strange though. I don't recommend using a controller at all.

Both control schemes have their advantages to be honest. The controller is good in combat because you use the left stick to aim and hence keep some enemies off screen which makes them less aggressive. It's also way better for gliding around. Just moving the camera around and aiming with nightwing's darts is way better with kb/m though. Just go with what you like.

Almighty

just tried with the mouse and keyboard. worked. well, i'l try re installing the drivers. if it still doesn't work, i'll just play with m+kb. Thanks!

No problem.

I will have to play around with the kb/m now and see which I prefer. I started with the controller solely because I first played the games on the Ps3 so thought I would ease back into the swing of things. It worked, but I do normally prefer the mouse keyboard combo.

JaseC

Any idea when we'll be able to activate "retail" keys?

No word yet.

Edit:
Peking Duckman 2 hours ago

Funny the guy few posts above is complaining about MS monopolizing electronics, when Valve is doing exactly the same thing by coercing every third party game publisher to use its Steam DRM which breaks game after game from Rome 2 to Arkahm City. Thank god for Origin and Uplay providing alternatives, and good luck getting proper third party support on SteamOS aka a reskinned Linux LMAO

I don't know where to begin. Steamworks doesn't require games to be tethered to the client (i.e. they can be DRM-free)? Rome 2's issues have nothing to do with Steamworks? How is a duckman using the internet?

Eusis

No word yet.

Edit:

I don't know where to begin. Steamworks doesn't require games to be tethered to the client (i.e. they can be DRM-free)? Rome 2's issues have nothing to do with Steamworks? How is a duckman using the internet?
I don't know about Rome 2, but the biggest headaches thus far with Steamworks here seem to be that weird rollback update, and the fact achievements aren't reliably triggering which is something that isn't REALLY a core part of the game and could just as easily happen on other services. Though citing mother fucking Uplay makes me think it's a troll.

EDIT: Though running with the notion it's serious: I actually think it's more CONSUMERS coerced them into going with Steam, that they provide a good enough service and are one of the least painful options, so we go "hey we want that on Steam!" I'm pretty sure many were happy to have Mass Effect thrown on Steam just to be rid of Securom and the implementation they used for ME.

JaseC

I don't know about Rome 2, but the biggest headaches thus far with Steamworks here seem to be that weird rollback update, and the fact achievements aren't reliably triggering which is something that isn't REALLY a core part of the game and could just as easily happen on other services. Though citing mother fucking Uplay makes me think it's a troll.

That's not something inherent to Steamworks, though; it's poor implementation on the part of the developers.

EDIT: Though running with the notion it's serious: I actually think it's more CONSUMERS coerced them into going with Steam, that they provide a good enough service and are one of the least painful options, so we go "hey we want that on Steam!" I'm pretty sure many were happy to have Mass Effect thrown on Steam just to be rid of Securom and the implementation they used for ME.

Sure, there's no denying that consumer demand has resulted in Steamworks being as popular and near-ubiquitous among AAA publishers as it is. As you say, though, thanking Uplay and Origin for the "competition"? Laughable. Even Ubi is guilty of forgoing Steam releases to strengthen Uplay's library.

Sullichin

I tried... I can't do it. I hate m/kb for third person games though.

The thing that's really baffling about that post is why the fuck would he thank god for Origin and Uplay if he really were anti-DRM? Surely he'd thank gog for GoG.

Speaking of which, I'm a huge fan of the way CD Projekt do things. They've got their standard DRM-free version at retail and GoG and their Steam version that supports all the Steamworks features we love. All Steam owners get a DRM-free version for free as well.

JaseC

The thing that's really baffling about that post is why the fuck would he thank god for Origin and Uplay if he really were anti-DRM? Surely he'd thank gog for GoG.

Speaking of which, I'm a huge fan of the way CD Projekt do things. They've got their standard DRM-free version at retail and GoG and their Steam version that supports all the Steamworks features we love. All Steam owners get a DRM-free version for free as well.

CDPR's Steam games aren't DRM-free, though, but as I've mentioned in the past, I suspect this is because of the inherent conflict of interest -- GOG's main draw is that its games are DRM-free, after all.

Eusis

CDPR's Steam games aren't DRM-free, though, but as I've mentioned in the past, I suspect this is because of the inherent conflict of interest -- GOG's main draw is that its games are DRM-free, after all.
I wonder if there may've been a conflict of interest with the publishers too, and unlike the DRM the retail copies have it's not really a big deal to make Steam functionality optional given the much lower resentment of it and the fact it usually doesn't get in the way. Witcher 2's saves may be one of the bigger examples of where Steamworks can screw up though.

But, yes, if you really don't like Steam and DRM you'd be better off championing the likes of GOG, an exaggerated shutdown aside they've been one of the best alternatives to Steam offering two things Steam typically doesn't (a lack of DRM and older titles.)

scitek

I wonder if there may've been a conflict of interest with the publishers too, and unlike the DRM the retail copies have it's not really a big deal to make Steam functionality optional given the much lower resentment of it and the fact it usually doesn't get in the way. Witcher 2's saves may be one of the bigger examples of where Steamworks can screw up though.

But, yes, if you really don't like Steam and DRM you'd be better off championing the likes of GOG, an exaggerated shutdown aside they've been one of the best alternatives to Steam offering two things Steam typically doesn't (a lack of DRM and older titles.)

The main thing GOG offers is the guarantee that games'll work with modern versions of Windows. Valve doesn't really care if that's the case or not.

Sounds plausible and I can totally understand why they'd do that. But if you do own either game on Steam, you can always redeem the game on GoG for free and get DRM-free versions.

deleted

You could try reinstalling or repairing your existing install, but it might just be a matter of time.
They have already been having issues with retail activations.

I wanted to play today and did a fresh install - same error, so I guess it's not a matter of reinstalling/repairing.

Grief.exe

Or because the publisher stipulated that they contain DRM.
Witcher 2 had Securom due to Namco I believe. CDPR patched it out.

I wanted to play today and did a fresh install - same error, so I guess it's not a matter of reinstalling/repairing.

Other people are having the same issue, Valve must have ran out of keys. Its just a matter of time at this point.

JaseC

Or because the publisher stipulated that they contain DRM.
Witcher 2 had Securom due to Namco I believe. CDPR patched it out.

CDPR self-publishes the games on Steam but 1C gets a courtesy cut (retail distribution partner).

Irobot82

What a cluster. SecureROM killed Batman AC but steam gave us the GOTY for free. But when you try to play it it cannot conect to the Key server. I found a workaround where you just start the game from it's install directory.

JaseC

What a cluster. SecureROM killed Batman AC but steam gave us the GOTY for free. But when you try to play it it cannot conect to the Key server. I found a workaround where you just start the game from it's install directory.

Seems WB forgot to patch in CEG, haha.

Irobot82

Seems WB forgot to patch in CEG, haha.

I don't know, I'm just happy I found a workaround, I finally got downsampling working on AMD cards again and I wanted to look at something pretty so I was going to play AC. So I would just recommend everyone launch the game from Windows Explorer until things get fixed.

I wonder if these GFWL-removal patches fixed any of the exploits and bugs in city, you can do some interesting glitches with the freeze grenades.

Top Bottom