• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Almighty

They've been unlocking fine for me so far. Actually after reading this thread I'm considering myself lucky for not having any problems with the game at all yet. Haven't downloaded and tried AC yet though.

I unlocked the first one so it does work at least (plus the percentages have increased on the global achievement list)

Thanks for answering guys or gals. Well looks like it is time for the old reinstall and see if that fixes it. Normally I wouldn't care, but I wanted try my hand at a 100 percent run.

Grief.exe

Thanks for answering guys or gals. Well looks like it is time for the old reinstall and see if that fixes it. Normally I wouldn't care, but I wanted to do a 100 percent run.

Gotta get those rarest achievements to show off on your profile.

Its interesting, because almost no one is playing Bioshock 2. So all of the achievements are less than 2% earned.
I wonder if it will be a similar case with Batman:AA. A few things will probably deviate though, AA is considered a better game, therefore more popular, and save games brought over previously unlock the achievements, in Bioshock 2, the hooks had to be manually triggered.

iHnAljv0G3SDr.png

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Have my GFWL cases here but they are useless as the keys wont work, should I just wait a bit longer and hope WB/Valve fix this or just buy the two games again for $10?

Alright, so I figured out how to keep it from crashing AND have it run full screen.

You can either disable in-game anti-aliasing and use an external application to force aa, or install the new 13.11 beta drivers, which will allow you to use the in-game aa without crashing.

Oh wow. The 13.11 beta driver fixed it. I was on the previous 13.10 beta 2 driver, the release just prior. There was no mention of the fix but it did it. Thanks a ton man! This might be worth adding to the OP. There has been at least 1 or 2 other mentions of this issue in the last few pages. If the game crashes in fullscreen but not windowed mode for AMD users installing the beta driver or disabling in game AA seems to fix it.

Thanks for answering guys or gals. Well looks like it is time for the old reinstall and see if that fixes it. Normally I wouldn't care, but I wanted try my hand at a 100 percent run.

Please post something if anything changes. having the same problems here, even though i downloaded the game after they launched the patches.

Almighty

Something like that. Figured for my second play though(beat it on the Ps3 last year) might as well try my hand at hard and getting all the achievements I can. If they remain rare then that is just a nice added bonus.

Please post something if anything changes. having the same problems here, even though i downloaded the game after they launched the patches.

Will do.

Its interesting, because almost no one is playing Bioshock 2. So all of the achievements are less than 2% earned.
I wonder if it will be a similar case with Batman:AA. A few things will probably deviate though, AA is considered a better game, therefore more popular, and save games brought over previously unlock the achievements, in Bioshock 2, the hooks had to be manually triggered.

What!? You mean it unlocks every achievement you already got?

Oh well, wanted to start AA again anyway.

Rnr1224

Thinking about buying both AC and AA on steam even tho I played both on Xbox. Is there a bundle for both? And should I download the demo to make sure I will be able to run the games?

Eusis

Someone mentioned they got better framerates in the new version, so I decided to test it myself:
http://abload.de/img/bmaa-gfwl8tsuv.jpg
http://abload.de/img/bmaa-steamworksbtsck.jpg
Smaller difference than mine, but I guess you actually tested the GFWL one NOW so that factors out the difference patches and driver updates may've made, and it's still a mild improvement. I do wonder if you threw on heavier AA than FXAA and if that influenced things, but whatever, at worst it's probably doubly worth revisiting for anyone who didn't touch back in 2011 thanks to the save issues that were somewhat infamous then.
Yep, retroactive unlocks in AA/AC. Bioshock 2 you had to physically earn the achievement again.
Huh, that didn't work for the converted file I did. Maybe you nave to do it manually?

Well, guess it's worth trying for the sake of doing something new anyway.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Thinking about buying both AC and AA on steam even tho I played both on Xbox. Is there a bundle for both? And should I download the demo to make sure I will be able to run the games?

No bundle but you can get them both for $10, see if your PC can handle them

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Minimum System Requirements

Video Card: 256MB GeForce 6600
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz / AMD Athlon64 3000+
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 9 GB free
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c

Recommended System Requirements

Video Card: 512 MB GeForce 7900 GT
Processor: Pentium D @ 3 GHz / AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 9 GB free
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c or 10

Batman: Arkham City
Minimum system requirements

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7
CPU: Dual core CPU 2.4 Ghz
RAM: 2 GB
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA 8800 series or ATI 3800 with 512MB video memory
SOUND: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible)
DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
HARD DRIVE: 17.5GB free disk space

Recommended system requirements

OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows 7
CPU: Dual core CPU 2.5 GHz
RAM: 4GB
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or ATI Radeon HD 6850 with 768MB+ (DX 11 compatible)
SOUND: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c -compatible)
DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
HARD DRIVE: 17.5 GB free disk space

Grief.exe

Take my information about the achievements with a grain of salt. I have no intention of restoring my AA save and I have never played through AC.

My information is purely second hand, and mostly consists of people messaging me on Steam.

I'm contemplating removing the image I currently have in the OP for that gif

Image will be effectively useless on Monday, so I will take it out then.

EDIT:...just thought of an idea for a brand new gif

ibpPQ2H9DdP6zl.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yep, retroactive unlocks in AA/AC. Bioshock 2 you had to physically earn the achievement again.

How? Just loading the game?

I don't think I've actually loaded and got into gameplay in either game, to be honest. I just noticed the save file was identified, loaded, messed around with the challenge options (to see if everything was there) and quit, never actually got into gameplay.

Grief.exe

How? Just loading the game?

I don't think I've actually loaded and got into gameplay in either game, to be honest. I just noticed the save file was identified, loaded, messed around with the challenge options (to see if everything was there) and quit, never actually got into gameplay.

My guess would be you have to load your save.

You probably didn't see this as we essentially replied at the same time, but take my information on this with a grain of salt. See above.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My guess would be you have to load your save.

You probably didn't see this as we essentially replied at the same time, but take my information on this with a grain of salt. See above.

Yup, I'll double check it later, but I loaded the save and no achievements popped of.

From which batman is that amazing GIF from? The first one? We need, at least, a proper aspect ratio one, if it's going to be in the OP.

Also, I really gotta learn how to do proper animated gifs. It's my one true internet weakness.

Is there a way for me to use someone else's save? I want to replay AC again on the Hardest difficulty with none of the "Bat-Sense" Icons popping up, so that I can make combat harder(lol) but my save was deleted. Is there a way to do this?

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Yup, I'll double check it later, but I loaded the save and no achievements popped of.

From which batman is that amazing GIF from? The first one? We need, at least, a proper aspect ratio one, if it's going to be in the OP.

Also, I really gotta learn how to do proper animated gifs. It's my one true internet weakness.
The best one: Batman Returns.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Someone mentioned they got better framerates in the new version, so I decided to test it myself:
http://abload.de/img/bmaa-gfwl8tsuv.jpg
http://abload.de/img/bmaa-steamworksbtsck.jpg

Also, while finishing up new game+, I encountered a rather funny bug late in the game (minor spoilers regarding where I am in the story): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpOGmY-nRY

So mine wasn't just an impression.
I rember playing it months ago, with lots of stuttering while gliding or moving through the city. It's much better now.

Same settings, everything on max (no DX11) e Physx on high. I'm using MSAAx2 too, instead of FXAA like the last time, and it runs great!

Grief.exe

Its really just photoshop + import movie, there are some great guides online.

Any news on Dirt 3 and Dark Souls getting GFWL removed?

Bookmark Jase's post here. If we know of anything we will post

I will say that Dark Souls has seen some registry activity and a random patch. We may see something in the future.

Dark Souls seems like a game Namco will want to keep around, it will sell well on the platform for the next 20 years. GFWL has already damaged its value and sales potential.

All we know so far is:

- Batman: Arkham Asylum and City are having GFWL replaced with Steamworks (with the GOTY flavours already at this point)
- BioShock 2 has had GFWL replaced with Steamworks
- Epic is discussing internally what to do with Bulletstorm
- Codemasters is removing GFWL from Dirt 3, while Dirt 2, F1 2010/2011, Fuel, and Operation Flashpoint: Red River "are being looked at"
- Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is having GFWL removed (no word yet on whether Steamworks will replace it)
- GFWL is being removed from various Capcom games, but again we don't yet know if Steamworks will be put in its stead

Everything else is up in the air at this juncture.

Edit: Added sources.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Its really just photoshop + import movie, there are some great guides online.

Cmon grief, one can't import illegally downloaded 1080p mkvs.

Also, there's color spaces, sizes, importing a 2:30 hour movie to capture 35 frames... It's not that simple.

Grief.exe

Cmon grief, one can't import illegally downloaded 1080p mkvs.

Also, there's color spaces, sizes, importing a 2:30 hour movie to capture 35 frames... It's not that simple.

I actually usually find a high-res stream on Youtube or similar service, then a cam program to record the base material.

Downsampling + bicubic sharper takes care of any visual issues that come with streaming.

If they are up on Youtube, they are generally considered fair use, so I'm not sure if there is anything morally ambiguous going on here. Feel free to correct me as I am not an expert by any means.

Eusis

Yeah, manual HEX editing did nothing, I'll just have to restart Arkham Asylum for all the achievements. And really, that's probably a better idea than restarted a hard mode save anyway.

murgo

Yeah, manual HEX editing did nothing, I'll just have to restart Arkham Asylum for all the achievements. And really, that's probably a better idea than restarted a hard mode save anyway.

Why don't you use Steam Achievement Manager to get the ones you had back?

Kareha

For those reporting increased fps, how many driver updates have you gone through since those initial benchmarks?

For those reporting increased fps, how many driver updates have you gone through since those initial benchmarks?

A ton. My improvement is pretty big but the 7970 cards have had some huge performance gains through drivers over the last couple years so it's hard to know how much can really be attributed to patched out GFWL/Securom.

Eusis

Why don't you use Steam Achievement Manager to get the ones you had back?
Eh, not that big of a deal really, I didn't actually get all that far in AA anyways as my file reports 22%. I'd probably care more if I 100%'d the game on PC, but most of the achievements are probably ones I'd get through normal play anyway.

Almighty

Reinstalling it did nothing, but I did manage to figure it out. If i use my DualShock 3(emulated as a 360 controller via this) I get no achievements. When I switched to the keyboard and mouse they unlocked no problem. Which is a little strange as its never caused a problem before for me in other games. So if you are using a DS3 that is probably the cause for you as well.

So i guess the question is is anyone getting the achievements using the dualshock 3 or any other type of controller?

Eusis

Reinstalling it did nothing, but I did manage to figure it out. If i use my DualShock 3(emulated as a 360 controller via this) I get no achievements. When I switched to the keyboard and mouse they unlocked no problem. Which is a little strange as its never caused a problem before for me in other games. So if you are using a DS3 that is probably the cause for you as well.

So i guess the question is is anyone getting the achievements using the dualshock 3 or any other type of controller?
Seemed fine for me, though I used the PS3 controller initially then switched to 360 upon realizing I couldn't really set the controls to be RIGHT for my preferences as the PS3 AA did more than a simple shoulder swap (grapple is ALWAYS R1/RB, and it really does feel like the best button for that on both controllers.) Annoying because this IS a game I'd prefer to play with the DS3, feels more appropriate but also the D-Pad's actually decent, even the ones harder on it must agree it's better for item swapping.

Eusis

Am I really gonna lose my save here if I let Steam update here?
Again? Fuck.
I lost my halfway through saves TWICE through shitty GFWL encryption already, and now that I'm 75% through now I won't be starting again, ever.
Tried all that hex editor shitmlast year, really can't be added again.
Hate PC gaming sometimes.
Funny how GFWL was meant to add console ease to PC, when in the long run it made things way worse than if they stayed out. Well, aside from Xinput, though even that's sometimes frustrating in how developers won't allow button rebinding.

Almighty

Seemed fine for me, though I used the PS3 controller initially then switched to 360 upon realizing I couldn't really set the controls to be RIGHT for my preferences as the PS3 AA did more than a simple shoulder swap (grapple is ALWAYS R1/RB, and it really does feel like the best button for that on both controllers.) Annoying because this IS a game I'd prefer to play with the DS3, feels more appropriate but also the D-Pad's actually decent, even the ones harder on it must agree it's better for item swapping.

So looks the the software I am using to get the DS3 working is probably causing the problem. Well that sucks as I was hoping to use the DS3 for the game as I beat it on the Ps3 originally so was already right at home. Looks like I will have to start getting used to the keyboard and mouse then(for this game. KB/M is my go to control method for most other PC games) as I don't have a 360 controller I can use.

Eusis

So looks the the software I am using to get the DS3 working is probably causing the problem. Well that sucks as I was hoping to use the DS3 for the game as I beat it on the Ps3 originally so was already right at home. Looks like I will have to start getting used to the keyboard and mouse then(for this game. KB/M is my go to control method for most other PC games) as I don't have a 360 controller I can use.
Well, I've also been using the wrapper, so it'd a bit odd to me. I would imagine a 360 controller's the more surefire way to play this without issue admittedly, but maybe something else is the issue? I kept my DS3 plugged in for whatever that's worth.

This definitely seems to be running better for me now. Maybe I'm crazy. Everything maxed (including PhysX, NVidia AA stuff, and DX11 stuff) I got 55 FPS average on my 2500k and 670.

I so hope Origins isn't as fucked as this was at launch come next week.

Almighty

Well, I've also been using the wrapper, so it'd a bit odd to me. I would imagine a 360 controller's the more surefire way to play this without issue admittedly, but maybe something else is the issue? I kept my DS3 plugged in for whatever that's worth.

I think it was the Ps1 emulator that I forgot was running in the background. Oops. Anyway the problem is fixed now I can play with the DS3 and still get achievements. I reinstalled the driver(which made me restart windows which is how I learned the emulator I thought I closed was still running) and now everything is working fine. So yeah it was either the driver or the emulator that was causing the problem. I am leaning towards the emulator being on in the background, but its working now so I am happy.

Thank you and all those who answered as it made the troubleshooting easier.

Sectus

Smaller difference than mine, but I guess you actually tested the GFWL one NOW so that factors out the difference patches and driver updates may've made, and it's still a mild improvement. I do wonder if you threw on heavier AA than FXAA and if that influenced things, but whatever, at worst it's probably doubly worth revisiting for anyone who didn't touch back in 2011 thanks to the save issues that were somewhat infamous then.
I had AA set to FXAA. I think most settings were on high and physx was set to normal.

L00P

I didn't import my 100% save from the GFWL version, but I don't really mind doing this shit all over again. Maybe I just want an excuse to fly around the city

Top Bottom