• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Bizzyb

Banned
permutated said:
Made perspectives better, what the fuck, would you complain about games using First Person alot? No. Why the hate for over-the-shoulder.

Huh? Where's the "hate"?
I just think some devs are taking the easy way out with just throwing in a "proven" camera. I don't want to play my Batman games the same way I do my Gears of Wars or RE4s. I didn't mind it at all in MGS4 b/c

1. The game had a (comparably) shitty first person aiming system

and

2. The MGS series has always been known for using guns/weapons so in a way it made sense

I don't need/want devs just ripping off what worked in other games b/c they are too lazy to create a real working 3d camera.

The M.O.B

yeah unless it's an advertisement or cover, it's not supposed to be posted.

It is a bannable offense.
cant see much anyways

The M.O.B

joshuagor44 said:
Thanks for the heads up :)

But I remember seeing GOW2 scans a bit back. Why were those allowed to be posted?

dunno, usually someone sacrifices themselves to get the scans to everyone, though they get banned for it after

Sounds pretty good though

Syckx

FoneBone said:
Would this have to do with the quality issues that are rumored to have kept the game from surfacing so far?

Yeah, the game is a piece of shit from what he told me. And that notion was shared by another guy I know at WBIE. They tried to do the game, if I remember correctly, on a seven month dev cycle and it just wasn't happening. Pandemic is talented, but consider yourself lucky if the Dark Knight game never comes out. The suits at Warner actually don't want it released, due to the problem the game has. They're afraid that it would dilute the brand with LEGO Batman coming out and Arkham.

The same two people told me Arkham looked really good, actually. So I have some high hopes for it.

My6cats

Banned
borghe said:
nope. actually sunsoft did BOTH versions of batman. the problem was in the US, Nintendo paid for an exclusive release on the NES. So the vastly superior Genesis version had to remain an MD import.

actually shit.. now that you reminded me, the Genesis import would be a fuck awesome release for the VC if you can iron out the sunsoft/warner rights.

They did release the Genesis game in America. I should know, I bought the game. It was the pc enhine that wasn't released

This game actually has potential. Being a huge gamer and Batman fantatic, it will be hard to please me, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

Ephemeris

The details that MMaRsu posted got me very interested, but the voices of Joker and Bats from BTAS is what sold it to me.

Oh, and Croc is HUGE. :lol

Ephemeris said:
The details that MMaRsu posted got me very interested, but the voices of Joker and Bats from BTAS is what sold it to me.

Oh, and Croc is HUGE. :lol

I haven't seen the picture, but I am assumign that Croc is based on the way Jim Lee drew him.

Spoo

MMaRsu said:
so do the graphics look good? Dark and gritty as well? :)

Pretty dark, and pretty gritty. UE3 looks like a good choice for what they're trying to pull off -- Joker looks pretty fantastic too.

The article talks about some of the conversations that go on during what I guess are the opening scenes. Sounds really witty and pretty creepy; most of all, very Batman-esque.

I wouldn't have given two shits bout this game just hearing about it, but then my GI came in the mail and now I'm like... wait! This sounds pretty fucking cool!

Ephemeris

Spoo said:
Pretty dark, and pretty gritty. UE3 looks like a good choice for what they're trying to pull off -- Joker looks pretty fantastic too.

The article talks about some of the conversations that go on during what I guess are the opening scenes. Sounds really witty and pretty creepy; most of all, very Batman-esque.

I wouldn't have given two shits bout this game just hearing about it, but then my GI came in the mail and now I'm like... wait! This sounds pretty fucking cool!
very nice

kruskev

Syckx said:
Yeah, the game is a piece of shit from what he told me. And that notion was shared by another guy I know at WBIE. They tried to do the game, if I remember correctly, on a seven month dev cycle and it just wasn't happening. Pandemic is talented, but consider yourself lucky if the Dark Knight game never comes out. The suits at Warner actually don't want it released, due to the problem the game has. They're afraid that it would dilute the brand with LEGO Batman coming out and Arkham.

The same two people told me Arkham looked really good, actually. So I have some high hopes for it.

Somehow I don't buy that considering the game was rumored to be in development by pandemic since last summer.

Spoo

I just finished the article, and I gotta say the only thing that sort of doesn't fit is that they're aiming for a T-rating.

I mean, I know *why* they are, but what they've shown is undeniably dark (they make comparisons to Escape From Butcher Bay), and it's pretty clear based on the images, diologue and themes they're pushing that the game is intended to be mature -- in line with the various media that focuses on Arkham Aslyum in general.

So, they're trying to hit a T rating :| Okay, but they also draw a comparison with the grandeur, horrific design we saw in BioShock -- and I think BioShock was able to be creepy and horrific with the slight edge that the M-rating warranted. It didn't go too over the top, and I wouldn't expect Batman to either, but I think it's too bad nonetheless.

Spoo

Linkzg said:
Well, a Teen rating is basically like PG-13, and TDK was plenty violent enough for me being a PG-13 movie.

Yeah, in fact, TDK was ... almost ridiculously violent for a PG-13. I don't think what you'll see in this game will get close to that.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
so is this what we're getting instead of the dark knight video game? Not disappointed, this sounds great, but I'm just curious. Moving away from the open-end world was one of the best choices they could have made. Now where are the screens [/spoiler]scans...?[/spoiler]

Don't taze me bro!!

MMaRsu said:
so do the graphics look good? Dark and gritty as well? :)

This is probably one of those rare things where a developer does the UE3 good justice. The graphics are unbelievable in most of the shots. The detail on that guy Batman is fighting is just amazing. Awesome artstyle too.

Holtz

Lebron said:
My GI needs to come in the mail already :/

kind of OT, but is the Arkham Asylum GN worth picking up? Always wanted to check it out, but never got around to doing so. Also think someone made a short fanmade movie of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7W3be8XtQ
Yeah, you should totally pick it up. It's a great story.
Also got to see the magazine today, this looks great. Bats looks perfect, and Croc is HUGE. Very creepy environment, too. Just as it should be. Can't wait to see more.

Lebron said:
My GI needs to come in the mail already :/

kind of OT, but is the Arkham Asylum GN worth picking up? Always wanted to check it out, but never got around to doing so. Also think someone made a short fanmade movie of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7W3be8XtQ
Wow! That video was awesome! Very professional, and it captured the creepy atmosphere and artstyle of the comic.

And yes, I recommend you pick up AA: A Serious Place on Serious Earth. While I'm not a fan of Batman in the comic (he seems to be a bit of a pansy in it "For god's sake, help me!"), the artsyle and storytelling is very interesting. It gives Arkham a far mroe gothic feel when you learn its backstory.

Ephemeris

Hmm, from the neck up he looks a lot like Alex Ross' bats.

batman.jpg

Or at least a younger version.

And yeah, Croc really does look like a Locust :lol

Saw the scans, I gotta say this game is looking really good. I doubt it will be, just because I don't want to get my hopes up, but man does it have potential. One concern is what sounds like a simplistic combat system, but I'm psyched they're trying to work in actual detecting.

And the batman character design is AWESOME. Excellent balance of Alex Ross naturalism and a more modern tech-enhanced vibe. Really really dead-on.

Snaku

Banned
Holy shit @ the "glide kick." I can't wait to see that in motion. Batman and Joker look awesome in game. Croc is a beast. Really digging the look of this game so far.

Rahxephon91 said:
Kinda wanted a free roaming game and this doesn't sound like it.

I hear you there. I was playing GTA4 and was running around with the rocket launcher and I was thinking "you know this would be fun to play as the joker and do this stuff in gotham".

I assume a free roam wouldnt be too hard, just avoid what Spider-man 3 did and you should make a half way decent game.

Snaku

Banned
klownboots said:
I hear you there. I was playing GTA4 and was running around with the rocket launcher and I was thinking "you know this would be fun to play as the joker and do this stuff in gotham".

I assume a free roam wouldnt be too hard, just avoid what Spider-man 3 did and you should make a half way decent game.

If you want a sure fire way to make a shit Batman game, free roam is for you.

rikichi

just saw the scans as well, and i gotta say, its looks pretty fuckin awesome.

might have to buy this game once it comes out.

we'll see....

It looks jaw-some! Which is about 32% more awesome than awesome.

It looks really nice and if Mark Hamill is going to be voicing the Joker, I'll buy it in an instant. Damn it looks nice!

Ephemeris

Snaku said:
If you want a sure fire way to make a shit Batman game, free roam is for you.

Definitely easier to go astray, going the sandbox route. Though I'd love to see one; assassins creed is the closest thing to it. o_O

Amir0x said:
Goddamn this game looks so good

MY LOINS ARE BURNING LUST
:lol

eso76

looks technically good, but i would have preferred some original art direction to make it look like the comic book.
Looks like...heh, a ue3 game.

Snaku

Banned
I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want Rocksteady to put the Zur En Arrh Batman costume in as an unlockable.

Now a big fan of the character designs but otherwise I'm hyped. Hope this plays more like a Batman game and not a Splinter Cell clone like the Begins game.
Snaku said:
Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh Zur-En-Arrh
Agreed.

Syckx

kruskev said:
Somehow I don't buy that considering the game was rumored to be in development by pandemic since last summer.

I may have the time frame wrong because it was a while ago I talked to them about the game, but after talking to one of them last week they reiterated that the game was a mess and Warner did not want the game released. Also, preplanning and actually developing the game are two different things, and it was March that I was told this. If development started in July or August, that's six/seven months ago.

This isn't a knock against Pandemic, I think they are a talented group but the design of the game was too ambitious to be done right on such a short dev cycle.

Gwanatu T

Tain said:
Urban Chaos: RR was really good. That's makes me more interested in this than the license, I think.

Interesting to know. I worked at EBGames when that came out and just passed it off as yet another urban-themed shovelware title. At least the dev has some sort of positive history though.

Top Bottom