• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

jett

D-Member
I'm having weird texture problems with the PC version of this thing.

GTl9g.jpg

I don't think it's supposed to look like this... :p is it? I do have an aging ATI 4670 but this is the first time I get something like this. Some textures are decidedly too blurry as if they haven't loaded properly. Other than that the game runs fine though.

Dries

Hey guys, I'm at the part where
Vicki Vales' chopper gets knocked down and you have to get the snipers attacking her.
I was wondering how far I am in the main story line?

Shiv47

Hey guys, I'm at the part where
Vicki Vales' chopper gets knocked down and you have to get the snipers attacking her.
I was wondering how far I am in the main story line?

Pretty far, but you still have a good couple hours plus of story, plus the Catwoman missions if you're doing those in game, in addition to any other side missions if you're not saving them for NG+. You only have two major Batman sections left, put it that way.

Dries

Pretty far, but you still have a good couple hours plus of story, plus the Catwoman missions if you're doing those in game, in addition to any other side missions if you're not saving them for NG+. You only have two major Batman sections left, put it that way.

Sweet. Don't want this game to end, cause it's really awesome, but also can't wait to begin Sleeping Dogs.

for those that didn't cheat, this monday will be the soonest you could get the storyteller achievement right?

i missed a few months so i'm going to take my xbox offline, change the clock and do those, and then get it for real on the 3rd.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Haven't kept up, but I remember Rocksteady implying that there were a few more hidden easter eggs in the game that still haven't been found. Any news on this?

I have a question, does the new game of the year version work with the same saves and achivements as the regular game or will it start new achivements and saves?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have a question, does the new game of the year version work with the same saves and achivements as the regular game or will it start new achivements and saves?
360 version shares the same save and achievements. The PS3 version shares the same trophy list but not the save file so you have to start the game over.

360 version shares the same save and achievements. The PS3 version shares the same trophy list but not the save file so you have to start the game over.

Ok cool thanks. Cause I bought the Arkham Asylum special edition back in the day on 360 and i had to fucking start everything over so i didn't really feel like doing that this time.

Mxrz

Picked up the Goty yesterday. Thinking I'll go back and replay Arkham Asylum first (Need a few trophies.) Does Arkham. Are the challenge map trophies/achievements as sadistic as Asylum?

Ok cool thanks. Cause I bought the Arkham Asylum special edition back in the day on 360 and i had to fucking start everything over so i didn't really feel like doing that this time.
Arkham Asylum GOTY is viewed as a separate game on the X360. Probably had to go through recertification because of TrioViz 3D support and other stuff.

Marz

Just finished the game. Thought it was amazing and I usually don't even enjoy these beat em up type games.

I'm a huge Batman fan though so I guess it's to be expected.

Thought the villians were kind of crammed into the game and they could have only focused on a few and the ending was rather odd but overall the setting and atmosphere of the game just blew me away.

jett

D-Member
I'm playing this right now, why does the music stop playing in the open world city after Robin shows up? How can this be by design? It's annoying. I thought I caught a bug but apparently that's how the game is. WTF?

Harley's Revenge was indeed pretty weak. Just played it. Wait, IGN gave it a 9?

Waaaaa, a 9?!? Thats just wrong.
folks, are you really trying to discuss ratings made by IGN? #SavePreciousNeoGAFBandwidth

in other news, I'm slowly nearing the end of Riddler Trophy collecting. ~50 more to go. It's been really fun. I'm trying to get to 100% completion ratio. It's gonna take a while. *sigh*

folks, are you really trying to discuss ratings made by IGN? #SavePreciousNeoGAFBandwidth

in other news, I'm slowly nearing the end of Riddler Trophy collecting. ~50 more to go. It's been really fun. I'm trying to get to 100% completion ratio. It's gonna take a while. *sigh*

Even if you get all the trophy's you dont get 100% (or catch riddler), you have to do the challenges too. :(

Dries

Yeah beat the main story! It dead wear me out quite a bit though.. don't know if I can be bothered to do some remaining side quests.

Skidd

Haven't kept up, but I remember Rocksteady implying that there were a few more hidden easter eggs in the game that still haven't been found. Any news on this?
I come back here from time to time for the same thing and nothing so far...

Anyone? Surely there's someone who has bat-toothpasted every possible wall by now.

jett

D-Member
Finished AC a couple of days ago. Like most open world games, I felt it started strong and stayed strong until the halfway mark, and then it started petering out. The story is messy and nothing more than an excuse to have an sort of all-stars cameofest, which was fine by me throughout most of the game but it really gets kinda terrible near the end. Gameplay is awesome though and improves on all areas over the first game, the combat is satisfying and the feel of being Batman is as great as ever. I played on normal at first but then started a new game on hard, and was glad for it. Normal is just too much of a cakewalk.

Next game is supposed to be set in the silver age, right? Hope it's appropriately humorous if the rumor is right. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've got a question about the GOTY edition : are the DLC and extra content on the disc or you have to download them separately ? Thanks.
For the PS3 version everything is on the disc. The only thing you have to download is the Batman Year One movie. I don't know about the 360 version.

Kabuto

I just beat the game on PC and when I got to the safe with Catwoman, how come I did not see the dollar bills flying around when I was fighting like in this video? I get the ice shard effect with the Penguin so I thought the game was running fine but I guess it wasn't.

edit: wow I'm dumb. I didn't know there was a scroll bar on the side. Ignore my post.

Glad to hear you found and enjoyed them. AA is probably my all-time favorite Batman story. I'd want to buy it myself, but the hardcover book is a bit too expensive.
EDIT: I don't collect comics myself that much anymore due to the costs, as there's just too many I'd want to buy, but I have most of the classics that were released in the 80's and 90's here in Finland. I continue reading comics through library, about 10-20 books in a month. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to slow down the pace, as I've soon read all they have, and new ones aren't coming fast enough.

Joker was pretty good, but not in the league of the other classics. There are a plenty of good Batman stories worth your time, eventhough they might not reach the heights of the best.

I might also recommend The Long Halloween.

Hi it's me again. Ha.

Im almost done with AA A Serious House On Serious Earth. It's a pretty good book. Nothing amazing. Jokers a funny fuck as usual though. After that im on to The Dark Night Returns. Im taking your recommendation for The Long Holloween and will pick that up along with Year One and book 1 of Gotham Central.

Question about Year One. Witch version is the best to get?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/batman-miller-frank/1112405542?ean=9781401233426

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/batman-frederic-p-miller/1102927547?ean=9781401207526

The deluxe has a few extra stuff but is it worth the extra price?

Just finished this and I have to say I really enjoyed it. No, it wasn't as tight as Arkham Asylum, but I still loved it. Combat still feels great, and it makes you feel like Batman more than ever, especially as you unlock more and more gadgets.

Also, I REALLY enjoy the Catwoman sections, and controlling her in general. Her run and fighting controls feel way tighter than Batman's, and her ceiling/under bridge takedowns are amazing. She can't break weapons in combat which means you have to work a bit harder, but I wouldn't mind if Rocksteady expanded on her role in the next game.

Bladenic

Just finished this and I have to say I really enjoyed it. No, it wasn't as tight as Arkham Asylum, but I still loved it. Combat still feels great, and it makes you feel like Batman more than ever, especially as you unlock more and more gadgets.

Also, I REALLY enjoy the Catwoman sections, and controlling her in general. Her run and fighting controls feel way tighter than Batman's, and her ceiling/under bridge takedowns are amazing. She can't break weapons in combat which means you have to work a bit harder, but I wouldn't mind if Rocksteady expanded on her role in the next game.

I actually think I may have preferred playing as Catwoman slightly more due to her agility and whatnot. Great addition.

While I'm sure that Silver Age will be great and all, I still hope we get a sequel to this game. Possilby having Scarecrow as a main villain, and seeing the aftermath of the ending is just too intriguing. Shame they abolished the whole Quinn angle in the DLC.

I actually think I may have preferred playing as Catwoman slightly more due to her agility and whatnot. Great addition.

While I'm sure that Silver Age will be great and all, I still hope we get a sequel to this game. Possilby having Scarecrow as a main villain, and seeing the aftermath of the ending is just too intriguing. Shame they abolished the whole Quinn angle in the DLC.

Has Silver Age been 100% confirmed to be the next direction? I enjoyed AA and AC way too much for the series to take a step backwards. I want this storyline to continue.

SJRB

Gold Member
Has Silver Age been 100% confirmed to be the next direction? I enjoyed AA and AC way too much for the series to take a step backwards. I want this storyline to continue.

Nothing but rumors at this point. Which is unfortunate, I'm really looking forward to seeing Rocksteady's next project.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nothing but rumors at this point. Which is unfortunate, I'm really looking forward to seeing Rocksteady's next project.

If they do go with it maybe it will be like a flashback arc leading us into the next part of the story a bit better.

Also I'm sad Dini isn't doing this one, if they aren't going to get him they should get Snyder.

So I played through the Harley's Revenge dlc. What a huge waste of $10. It's short and stripped of all exploration, puzzles, and any interesting story tidbits. Not exactly what I would call value especially considering I paid the same price for the full game.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Is the PC version good? I read a lot of pissed off reviews for the PC version recently (from the initial launch etc, people complaining about windows live).. I wouldn't mind the Xbox version but the level detail seems very low (360 demo) compared to what I saw on Ark:A retail (360)

What's the state of the PC version now? Any major problems/annoyances that would cause anyone to avoid the PC version? I have a wired 360 pad for it btw..

Tomodachi

Is the PC version good? I read a lot of pissed off reviews for the PC version recently (from the initial launch etc, people complaining about windows live).. I wouldn't mind the Xbox version but the level detail seems very low (360 demo) compared to what I saw on Ark:A retail (360)

What's the state of the PC version now? Any major problems/annoyances that would cause anyone to avoid the PC version? I have a wired 360 pad for it btw..

It's not the best port out there in terms of scalability and you might want to play in DX9 because DX10 and 11 run like crap. Nevertheless I guess the PC version remains the version of choice if you have a pc capable of running it. Wired 360 pad is just perfect.

Miker

It's...okay. On Steam, it has Steam + SecuROM + GFWL, so that's shit. And GFWL is just shit in general, especially for longer single player games.

That said, the performance on DX9 (dunno about DX11) is your standard UE3 (read: good) performance, and it looks fantastic in 1080p at 60 fps. You can take care of the save game issues by backing up your GFWL saves (ask someone else how, I forgot).

The PC version, despite the DRM and GFWL, is still by far the best version. Can't beat 60 fps for an action game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Honestly, I like it better. I haven't had a single hicup the entire time I've had it.

I had no problems with it. Yes, DX11 runs horribly and you should avoid it and play on DX9 for butter smooth 60fps.
I played through the whole game with my X360 wired controller on my PC and it was magnificent. I haven't regretted buying this on the PC. Even GFWL worked like a charm. Yes, you read it right, not a single problem in my 40+ hrs playthrough.
Enjoy the game! It's one of the best in the last couple years, IMHO.

nickcv

i'm sorry about the bump, but i didn't really feel like opening a new thread.

i was thinking about buying arkham city and i was wondering if i should get arkham asylum first.

Anustart

i was thinking about buying arkham city and i was wondering if i should get arkham asylum first.

I've only played Arkham City and I didn't feel like I missed anything by not playing the first. Solid game that stands on its own.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They're both great games, sometimes for different reasons. If you can find some sort of combo pack somewhere with both I'd do that.

Tomodachi

If I had to choose, I'd only play Asylum to be honest. That said, nothing wrong in playing City first, then Asylum.

FStop7

Banned
I was messing around in the Arkham Asylum combat challenges the other day and this evening I thought I'd throw in Arkham City as I hadn't played it since I beat it when it first came out.

The combat in Arkham City is so much worse than Asylum. Asylum just feels right. It's snappy, responsive, tight, the counters work great, etc.

In AC... it's mush. Sloppy, loose, the counters miss all the time... it was kind of shocking playing them so close together because I don't remember there having been such a difference.

I can pick up Arkham Asylum after not playing for a year and still put up a decent combat challenge score after a round or two of warmup. I pick up Arkham City and I can barely stay alive because it's so unresponsive.

Returners

To those who have the GOTY, are the DLC character's challenge rooms unlocked from the outset? I finished the original game long time ago but want to check out the DLC stuff.

Sober

I was messing around in the Arkham Asylum combat challenges the other day and this evening I thought I'd throw in Arkham City as I hadn't played it since I beat it when it first came out.

The combat in Arkham City is so much worse than Asylum. Asylum just feels right. It's snappy, responsive, tight, the counters work great, etc.

In AC... it's mush. Sloppy, loose, the counters miss all the time... it was kind of shocking playing them so close together because I don't remember there having been such a difference.

I can pick up Arkham Asylum after not playing for a year and still put up a decent combat challenge score after a round or two of warmup. I pick up Arkham City and I can barely stay alive because it's so unresponsive.
Umm, this shouldn't happen unless you aren't mashing counter on group counters. I have never had trouble unless I missed the number of people coming at me and did it wrong. If two people come at you, you press Y/Triangle/RMB twice and he'll get them both. Once and he will try to play the animation to stop one guy and then get hit in the process.

If anything, the challenges are too easy in AC. That's about it. You can sail past 3 medals just crit striking your way through everything, which is a shame when you have so many more moves from AA at your disposal.

To those who have the GOTY, are the DLC character's challenge rooms unlocked from the outset? I finished the original game long time ago but want to check out the DLC stuff.
Yes, they should be. I remember watching a bunch of preview vids of the DLC characters and all their stuff is unlocked from the get go.

SJRB

Gold Member

The reason you are missing counters is because when attacked by more than one thug you have to press the counter button accordingly. So when three thugs come at you, you have to press the button three times before they strike. Miss that timing and you will indeed miss the counter and get attacked.

If any, the Arkham City combat is more refined than the Arkham Asylum mechanic because it is not only more contextual, it is also based on dealing with multiple attackers at once.

It takes some practice though, I remember struggling with it myself the first hour or so. Just take on random groups of thugs in the streets to practice.

Top Bottom