• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

malfcn

So it told me to beat so-and-so for Family Jewels. I did and it ended..how am I supposed to complete it if it just ends?

SJRB

Gold Member
So it told me to beat so-and-so for Family Jewels. I did and it ended..how am I supposed to complete it if it just ends?

The "story" is over but the game goes on in free-roam. There are three spots in Arkham where you can switch characters between Batman and Catwoman.

If you switch to Catwoman and switch to "cat"vision [I suppose we should call it], you can trace down the remaining jewels, carried by random thugs in the city.

snoopen

I'm getting motion sickness 10 mins in. I only just finished AA and loved it. Not sure what's different?

Playing on PC by the way, also getting a bit laggy performance maxing at 1200p. Hardware is sli gtx570, 8gb ram, 2500k..Don't know what it's jumpy, beta nvidia drivers.

Dries

I'm getting motion sickness 10 mins in. I only just finished AA and loved it. Not sure what's different?

Playing on PC by the way, also getting a bit laggy performance maxing at 1200p. Hardware is sli gtx570, 8gb ram, 2500k..Don't know what it's jumpy, beta nvidia drivers.

Play in DX9 mode. DX11 is horribly optimized.

Dries

Damn, I wish the fps wouldn't drop when gliding through ''new'' parts of the town. Kinda annoying. When the area is loaded it's fine btw.

neoism

Question: I've finished the main game and it looks like I'm not earning XP anymore, but there's still a gadget upgrade that's not available and gives no clue as to how to get it. It's the one in the bottom right corner. There's also a Riddler physical challenge I can't get because it says I don't have the gadget for it. Here's a screenshot. Anyone know what's missing and what I have to do to get it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N11lLL6ptbY

If you switch to Catwoman and switch to "cat"vision [I suppose we should call it], you can trace down the remaining jewels, carried by random thugs in the city.

Pretty sure it's reffered to as "Thief Vision" in the game.

Augh Freeflow 2.0
I either forget a move, or get screwed.

After hours of trying, I got hold of a list of all required moves and got my GF to call them out one at a time. Once I'd completed one I just said "next" and she'd move to the next one.

There's just too many to remember, and I found I kept forgetting which ones I'd done.

Did it first go using the call-out method. I did it on Rooftop Rumble (Extreme).

Try it out.

Endo Punk

So using the animated series costume for Batman in the SP changes Catwoman to her animated series costume as well, I want to know is there any way to use the long halloween costume in the city?

Tomodachi

If you turn off the DX11 features like tessalation in the settings, will it run in DX9 or do you need to force it in the ini?
Yeah it will run in DX9 when you disable DX11 in the game options panel, no need to force it in the ini.
There's a DX10 option in the ini though, but I'm not sure if turning it on has any advantage, still have to try it out.

malfcn

Finally got the 5G after another 3 hour session. Turns out I was doing a few things wrong..the evades were counting. Partially due to guides having different info. The combat feels so good, but gets broken sometimes. Why I will stun someone, and then start punching in a different direction gets frustrating.

2AdEPT

sorry to be a noob at both GFWL and PC games, but I made the first check point in the city where you are supposed to save catwoman....but I logged in tonight and either forgot to save properly, or GFWL just didn't work to allow me to save? Did I just forget to save properly? How does one save with this GFWL stuff?

looks like I am a quick and early casualty of the phantom saves disappearance trend for GFWL!

Not Arkham City but Arkham Asylum question...didn't want to do a new thread for just this and figured people here might know.

I'm sorta new to PC gaming outside of TF2, SC2. Batman: AA doesn't have controller support on Steam, is there anyway to override? I have a xbox 360 controller :eek:

MickeyPhree

I stuck at 94% on new game plus. I have one more political prisoner to rescue but for the life of me I can't find them. I've flown around the map for 20-30 minutes, gone inside and out of buildings to reload the city, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

Only other thing I didn't do is get Catwoman's loot back from Two-Faces goons but I don't believe that is required for full 100%.

Tsukumo

I stuck at 94% on new game plus. I have one more political prisoner to rescue but for the life of me I can't find them. I've flown around the map for 20-30 minutes, gone inside and out of buildings to reload the city, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

Only other thing I didn't do is get Catwoman's loot back from Two-Faces goons but I don't believe that is required for full 100%.

Try to glide through each district on a straight line, detective mode always on. Check the map often as sometimes the game will automatically get you a location at random. The most frequent spawns usually happen in the Bowery near the museum and the Steel Mill: yes, the locations with the highest concentration of armed thugs ^_^

Is it just me or was Bats a real dickface to Freeze during the cutscene in the museum. I mean damn.

"How'd that work for you?"

Then he just tosses that cryo gel tube on the ground like it was piece of trash while Victor scrambles to pick it up.

I really forgot how much of an ass Batman is in this one.

So good.

Sullichin

sorry to be a noob at both GFWL and PC games, but I made the first check point in the city where you are supposed to save catwoman....but I logged in tonight and either forgot to save properly, or GFWL just didn't work to allow me to save? Did I just forget to save properly? How does one save with this GFWL stuff?

looks like I am a quick and early casualty of the phantom saves disappearance trend for GFWL!

Maybe GFWL was somehow not loaded when you played? The game saves automatically.
Like Dark Souls

This game is $10 on Newegg right now (physical version). Anyone know if it redeems on steam? I have it already but was going to pick it up for my nephew.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832777021

Just finished.

I watch the credits roll and feel total disappointment, It's got nothing on the original game. In fact I feel short-changed and annoyed.

- It was REALLY short (even with the bolted-on Catwoman content)
- There were virtually zero boss fights (maybe two 'proper' ones in the whole game?). WTF?
- I disliked the "open-world" nature of the game (OK it wasn't open-world like Skyrim, but you know what i mean), it broke the flow of the story as characters came and went in a total miss-mash and I wasn't sure at times what was story arc and what was additional. Messy.
- The end was shit. Most games end shit, but Arkham Asylum had a wicked boss fight at the end of the game, with tons of very clever and varied fights throughout. This game you just spammed your latest weapon against the boss to kill them.
- I think I am done with "interactive-stories" now. Bring me PS4 and the next Dark/Demons Souls game.

Just finished.

I watch the credits roll and feel total disappointment, It's got nothing on the original game. In fact I feel short-changed and annoyed.

- It was REALLY short (even with the bolted-on Catwoman content)
Funny, I'm currently at over 35 hrs at only 64% completion. Riddler trophies unlock Arkham City stories, interview tapes, etc. ,everything adding to the depth.
- There were virtually zero boss fights (maybe two 'proper' ones in the whole game?). WTF?
And for that, I'm glad. I generally hate "boss fights" and consider them a an ancient gameplay relic because most game execute it poorly. And they especially DO NOT fit in a game like this. De gustibus non est disputandum, I guess.
- I disliked the "open-world" nature of the game (OK it wasn't open-world like Skyrim, but you know what i mean), it broke the flow of the story as characters came and went in a total miss-mash and I wasn't sure at times what was story arc and what was additional. Messy.
Again, how so? I've heard numerous complaints about this "agghhh, it's an open world game, fuck." Why? The "City" is huge, there are ton of TAS, comic book and general lore references throughout the game, lots of stuff to see and explore and not the mention that the size of the City is perfect to test and have fun with all of those gadgets (which is especially fun if you chase those Riddler trophies).
- The end was shit. Most games end shit, but Arkham Asylum had a wicked boss fight at the end of the game, with tons of very clever and varied fights throughout. This game you just spammed your latest weapon against the boss to kill them.
On this, I agree. The ending could have been so much better when you consider who the main villain is. :/
- I think I am done with "interactive-stories" now.
I thought we were talking about AC not Heavy Rain. WTF, man? This is totally out of context. "interactive story". o_O
Bring me PS4 and the next Dark/Demons Souls game.
FROM: "Nah, it's cool. We don't need the PS4, we like our 1024x720@30fps framebuffer.
I had to, ;) but yea, needz moar SOULS.

The bosses fit in really well with Arkham Asylum. They fit in just as well as rooms full of heavies, mostly with guns and annoying riot shields later in the game.

There is FUCK ALL going on in the city, it's just an area to get from A-to-B, it's not like GTA with loads of stuff going on. It's not even like inFAMOUS, its just space. Don't see the point myself, the first game worked better.

It's as much an interactive story as Uncharted is. Again, another game that annoyed me with the latest version. Heavy Rain fixes most problems with these sort of games, but that's a thread in itself and I can't be arced to write a 1,000 words tonight :)

Hey-ho, it wasn't for me, and I thought it was a real let down after the first Batman.

LTTP but I picked up the GOTY edition (wtf @ the box art) yesterday after wanting to fill the void left after finally watching the disappointing TDKR. Game is fucking awesome.

I'm finding myself reading all the bios and actually being interested in the story. They really did justice to the Batman character and franchise as a whole, unlike the latest Nolan Batman film.

LTTP but I picked up the GOTY edition (wtf @ the box art) yesterday after wanting to fill the void left after finally watching the disappointing TDKR. Game is fucking awesome.

I'm finding myself reading all the bios and actually being interested in the story. They really did justice to the Batman character and franchise as a whole, unlike the latest Nolan Batman film.

Its one of the few games (including the first) that i wasn't looking forward to finishing it cause i knew it would end. :( That really doesn't happen often to me. They really nailed it. I did practically everything, even the Riddles. Amazing games.

I feel somewhat bad for them though cause now, they're kinda stuck doing Batman forever. Id like to see them do other stuff, maybe tackle Superman.

Edit: and i really enjoyed TDKR, although not as good as TDK, i thought it was a great ending.

I feel somewhat bad for them though cause now, they're kinda stuck doing Batman forever. Id like to see them do other stuff, maybe tackle Superman.

I thought the same thing. They could either move onto Superman or Spider-Man. Or, they could make another Batman game and call it Gotham City.

JackHerer

I played this game for about 5 or 6 hours and got bored/frustrated, probably won't finish it. I'm not sure what it is because I loved Asylum and totally expected this one to be better from all the hype I read.

I am playing the Xbox 360 version and the ubiquitous and lengthy loading screens are definitely part of the annoyance here. The combat is fun, but when I find myself dying and having to wait through another loading screen, I start to consider turning the game off. It really breaks the experience for me.

Usually loading screens don't bother me that much but in this game they do for some reason, which is probably a sign that I just don't find it that entertaining. Maybe it's just that my taste in games is changing because I probably would have loved it a few years ago.

Na not spiderman. Ive had enough spiderman games. But superman needs at least ONE good one. ;)

That's what I'm saying. SM2 was good but it's really dated by now.

Just beat Grundy. Are there Robin missions like there are Catwoman missions? Or can you only play as him in the challenges?

That's what I'm saying. SM2 was good but it's really dated by now.

Just beat Grundy. Are there Robin missions like there are Catwoman missions? Or can you only play as him in the challenges?

I have the dlc and i didn't enjoy it as much as the regular game. I preferred Catwoman cause you were still in the regular open world where as Robin dlc in the story, its only "part" of the world and its very very linear. Not worth it.

I see. I'll tackle all that additional content when I beat the story.

Just did the flying stuff with Ras Al Gul. Gliding around is some of the most fun I've had with this game :)

I thought the DLC was fine. I bought the game not to long ago and beat it, after reading all the negative response against the DLC I went in thinking it would be shit, it isn't. Of course it's not as good as the regular game, but if you liked it and want some more it's at least worth your time.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I got it at launch and even though I beat the story I didn't feel like going back and doing the side missions. I picked up the GOTY a while ago because it was cheap and just recently decided to try it out again. I was disappointed at first that I couldn't continue my previous saved game because it wasn't supported with the PS3 version so I had to start a brand new game. That disappointment didn't last long because the game was so much better this time around. In less than a week I beat the game again as well as all the side missions and all but 8 of the Riddler stuff (all from the last page). I haven't touched the challenges or any of the DLC yet but I will later this week.

I thought the DLC was fine. I bought the game not to long ago and beat it, after reading all the negative response against the DLC I went in thinking it would be shit, it isn't. Of course it's not as good as the regular game, but if you liked it and want some more it's at least worth your time.

For me, ultimately, when i finished playing it i automatically thought to myself: wow, this wasn't worth 800pts. At 400 it might be worth it, but at 800, for me it wasn't.

For me, ultimately, when i finished playing it i automatically thought to myself: wow, this wasn't worth 800pts. At 400 it might be worth it, but at 800, for me it wasn't.

Yeah in the end, it was a bit expensive. And of course it could've been much more but I was pretty happy with how it turned out anyway. The thing I missed most was to do a bit of free roam as Robin.

So I beat the main story and now I'm doing the switching back and forth between Bats and Catwoman. My question is, can you completely clean the streets of thugs or do they keep respawning?

Also, I loved the Lost reference made by Joker. What a great game.

Guzim

So I beat the main story and now I'm doing the switching back and forth between Bats and Catwoman. My question is, can you completely clean the streets of thugs or do they keep respawning?

They keep respawning.

Tsukumo

Dini was story editor on Lost for the first two seasons. That monologue was some sort of...revenge-poke.
I truly hope this franchise won't suffer the same fate now that Dini is out of the picture.
Seriously Rocksteady, what were you thinking: a Batman game without Dini? who's your next pitch, David Goyer?

Dini was story editor on Lost for the first two seasons. That monologue was some sort of...revenge-poke.
I truly hope this franchise won't suffer the same fate now that Dini is out of the picture.
Seriously Rocksteady, what were you thinking: a Batman game without Dini? who's your next pitch, David Goyer?

Hasn't it all just been rumored that Rocksteady is doing another Batman game? Also if it is the silver age stuff that is rumored then I don't have a problem with Dini not being involved. Now if they were going to make Arkham 3, I think they would bring back Dini.

But yeah, Dini is one of the best if not the best Batman writer out there. You can tell he really cares about the characters. I was listening to Kevin Smith's podcast "Fat Man On Batman" where he was interviewing Paul Dini. They were talking about old episodes from the animated series like "Heart of Ice" and "Over The Edge". Paul Dini would get all choked up talking about these fictional characters. Really great stuff.

GlassBox

Banned
Just finished it. It was definitely not as good as the original. I found the focus completely off for most of the game, and the whole sandbox nature just turned me off. Level Design was pretty much nonexistent with everything set up as way-points in a giant arena. The villain characters were in and out of things too fast to really appreciate them. It was just a giant sequence of cameos for the most part.

The ending sequence was completely and utterly ridiculous.

Locke_211

I'm about 60% through the story, after playing through Asylum a couple of weeks ago for the first time. I'm still loving it, strangely after having no interest in the Batman lore at all until seeing all three movies in one week got me in the mood for these games!

Asylum just unexpectedly blew me away. A 10/10. This is probably a very good 9/10, so far. I find the size just makes it seem slightly more rambling. I thought Asylum had the absolute perfect mix of linearity and explorability. This just seems a bit less tight and cohesive. And there's just an exhausting number of collectables!

I like the side-quests though. Especially the
Tea Party
one.

neoism

HOLY SHIT I am stupid.... I was fucking around and deleted my save in the main on the PC version how can I use steam cloud to fix it or am I fucked..... had 52% on normal

:..(

Top Bottom