• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

I know I know. Sometimes I just can't stand PC gaming either. But dat res and dat framerate... keeps pulling me back. When it's not stuttering it's just sooo much smoother and prettier than console. If I can just resolve this stutter I'm confident I'll have a far more enjoyable experience than on my silly PS3. ;)

I know I know. Sometimes I just can't stand PC gaming either. But dat res and dat framerate... keeps pulling me back. When it's not stuttering it's just sooo much smoother and prettier than console. If I can just resolve this stutter I'm confident I'll have a far more enjoyable experience than on my silly PS3. ;)
sorry to hear that you have problems. the game's running without a problem on my dinosaur C2D E6600 with Radeon 6950. DX11, almost everything at max (MSAA toned down of course).
And I never had any issues with GFWL (yep, I'm one of *those*, hehe).
I've seen this game on X360. It looks and plays good, but DX11 PC with a controller, I for one, see the difference (most notably: 60 vs. 30fps).
Enjoy the game, on any system. It's great.

SJRB

Gold Member
I finished Harley's Revenge and I didn't enjoy it one bit. I doubt I'll ever replay it.

The amount of hoops I had to jump through to even get it to work is rediculous. I bought the DLC off of Steam, but there is no launcher in Steam, and neither is there ingame. Turns out I had to go to the ingame xbox marketplace website, register a couple of forms so I could purchase stuff from the store, log in, download another client, register and login again, redeem the code and download it through GFWL. This whole ordeal took me about 30 minutes to figure out, I just cannot believe of overly complicated they made it. I've heard stories about GFWL and now I have experienced it myself - it's terrible.

So yeah, off to a bad start right there. The DLC is about 2 hours long. It takes place in and around
the Steelmill
and restricts any kind of exploration outside that area. The story is.. not there, I guess? I mean, nothing really happened. Controlling Robin somehow doesn't feel as tight as Batman, especially in combat he isn't as fluid.

The finale is basically
a rehash from the Catwoman - TwoFace fight at the end of Arkham City vanilla
. I guess this DLC just lacks the imaginative assets from the main game.

It also doesn't allow free-roaming after you finished it, which I thought was weird since there are collectibles to be found. I'm unsure for what purpose, because you cannot get XP or upgrade your gear. Why not just let us free-roam Arkham City as Robin? I mean, I understand from a narrative perspective
with Arkham City being closed and whatnot
, but come on.

I got it for 7 euros off the Steam sale, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it hit the 3 to 5 euro range. It's "way too little, way too late".

siddhu33

I borrowed this game from a friend for 360, and managed to 100% it before returning it back to him. Pretty fun and awesome.

Also, i have an idea. Play a custom challenge, turn on all negative modifiers, and then play an extreme combat map. Post your scores.

I think i just got over 60000 on Survival of the fittest(extreme). Was tough.

Dries

Hey guys, for some reason Steam won't update my game. When I check my version history the .exe's are all 1.0.0.0. I need to update my game, cause of the DX11 performance issues. Is there any way to update my game manually?

Massa

I finished Harley's Revenge and I didn't enjoy it one bit. I doubt I'll ever replay it.

The amount of hoops I had to jump through to even get it to work is rediculous. I bought the DLC off of Steam, but there is no launcher in Steam, and neither is there ingame. Turns out I had to go to the ingame xbox marketplace website, register a couple of forms so I could purchase stuff from the store, log in, download another client, register and login again, redeem the code and download it through GFWL. This whole ordeal took me about 30 minutes to figure out, I just cannot believe of overly complicated they made it. I've heard stories about GFWL and now I have experienced it myself - it's terrible.

Sounds like the issue is with who sold you the code not making it clear what the requirements to use it were.

Sullichin

Bought this on steam and i'm having issues that are similar but not exactly the same to some other posts I've seen. First, if DX11 is enabled it either runs at 5fps when I start it up, taking forever just to get past the menus to start the game, or it will start normally and then I experience huge framerate drops pretty frequently. Without DX11 and everything on very high it runs much more smoothly, but there is still the occasional very noticeable framerate drop, notably during death screens and takedowns. i5 2500K / 7870, game is installed on an SSD. Any suggestions?

Dries

Bought this on steam and i'm having issues that are similar but not exactly the same to some other posts I've seen. First, if DX11 is enabled it either runs at 5fps when I start it up, taking forever just to get past the menus to start the game, or it will start normally and then I experience huge framerate drops pretty frequently. Without DX11 and everything on very high it runs much more smoothly, but there is still the occasional very noticeable framerate drop, notably during death screens and takedowns. i5 2500K / 7850, game is installed on an SSD. Any suggestions?

Yeah. Today I learned that the DX11 implementation is just plain shit. It cuts your fps in half and the improvements are very subtle. So basically, it's not worth it. I've been playing in DX9 mode with every possible option at maximum and having a blast.

Massa

I don't get it. The controls are intuitive and self-evident. o_O
Maybe you should change inverse controls (up -> down, down -> up) and try then.
Can you describe your "problem" with the batarang?

Hold L1 to slow it down is also a good tip.

Bought this on steam and i'm having issues that are similar but not exactly the same to some other posts I've seen. First, if DX11 is enabled it either runs at 5fps when I start it up, taking forever just to get past the menus to start the game, or it will start normally and then I experience huge framerate drops pretty frequently. Without DX11 and everything on very high it runs much more smoothly, but there is still the occasional very noticeable framerate drop, notably during death screens and takedowns. i5 2500K / 7850, game is installed on an SSD. Any suggestions?
Can you check if you can initiate the stutter the same way as me? I.e. in the Steel Mill, Smelting Chamber. Running from one side of the room to the other, or swinging between vantage points. It's very early into the game.

Galdelico

Ages after I bought the game, I finally managed to start playing it on 360... Better late than never I guess. :p

Anyway, do you guys know if the bug randomly affecting the save file (and corrupting it iirc) has ever been patched?
I ask because I fired up the game after such a long time, downloaded the update but immediately got stuck in that odd black screen freeze I remember being pretty frequent, back then... And it made me fear Rocksteady really may have not done anything about those old bugs (PAL 360 version)?

Thanks in sdvance. ^_-

Ages after I bought the game, I finally managed to start playing it on 360... Better late than never I guess. :p

Anyway, do you guys know if the bug randomly affecting the save file (and corrupting it iirc) has ever been patched?
I ask because I fired up the game after such a long time, downloaded the update but immediately got stuck in that odd black screen freeze I remember being pretty frequent, back then... And it made me fear Rocksteady really may have not done anything about those old bugs (PAL 360 version)?

Thanks in sdvance. ^_-

I think its been fixed.

Dries

Great game, great atmosphere. But all the different fighting moves are overwhelming me. Just attack and counter are good enough for me.

Tess3ract

Banned
I don't get it. The controls are intuitive and self-evident. o_O
Maybe you should change inverse controls (up -> down, down -> up) and try then.
Can you describe your "problem" with the batarang?
Oh apparently there's two batarangs, a normal one and a controlled one. I didn't realize that until like 2-3 hours later

Sullichin

Can you check if you can initiate the stutter the same way as me? I.e. in the Steel Mill, Smelting Chamber. Running from one side of the room to the other, or swinging between vantage points. It's very early into the game.

It was definitely happening there. I'm in the museum now and I haven't noticed frame rate drops since the steel mill. strange.

Hmmm. I've seen a few reports of Steel Mill being the worst culprit. I'm tempted to continue playing if that is gonna be the only occurrence of the issue, but if it ever pops up again I'm gonna be extremely cheesed off.

SJRB

Gold Member
Think the DLC will ever get a price drop? I want to play it, but after the reviews doesn't really sound worth $10.

It's 66% off in the Steam Store right now for the next 5 hours.

Still too much if you ask me, but you're never going to get it cheaper than this.

Sullichin

Hmmm. I've seen a few reports of Steel Mill being the worst culprit. I'm tempted to continue playing if that is gonna be the only occurrence of the issue, but if it ever pops up again I'm gonna be extremely cheesed off.

I've been to a couple of indoor areas since (subway, museum) and they've been fine. I also tried dashing around a lot while switching the camera angle and quickly switching vantage points, which definitely triggered fps drops at the steel mill, and i couldn't recreate the problem. Hoping it stays this way because this game with extreme detail at 60FPS is pretty amazing. The PS3 version performed nicely for me but this is just another league. Disappointed that DX11 breaks the game for me considering my card supports it, but honestly I don't even think I notice the difference.

What the HELL! I just found out that this game is OPEN WORLD???

I've barely gotten through the first game, but how open world is this? Can someone give me comparisons/details on what you can do?

I did not know it was that different from AA

SJRB

Gold Member

I've barely gotten through the first game, but how open world is this? Can someone give me comparisons/details on what you can do?

The city itself is an open-world environment and you are free to go wherever you want from very early on in the game. It functions like a hub, with a majority of the actual missions happening inside locations spread throughout the city.

Although, saying it's a hub would grossly undersell it, the city is full of things to see, do and thugs to beat into a pulp.

This results in a very different experience than the more streamlined Arkham Asylum because you can stop following the narrated path and free-roam whenever you want.

Also a tip: I highly recommend doing the four AR training missions as soon as they open up [you'll get a message when they do]. The reward for doing those four will be well worth it.

Also a tip: I highly recommend doing the four AR training missions as soon as they open up [you'll get a message when they do]. The reward for doing those four will be well worth it.
Same recommendation. I did those missions, mostly to "get it over with" and familiarize myself with game mechanics. Once you do that, plan how will you go around. I stuck to my usual open-world/RPG mechanic: "primary mission", then a couple of side mission, then another primary mission ,etc.
Enjoy it! One of the best games out there.

I've been to a couple of indoor areas since (subway, museum) and they've been fine. I also tried dashing around a lot while switching the camera angle and quickly switching vantage points, which definitely triggered fps drops at the steel mill, and i couldn't recreate the problem. Hoping it stays this way because this game with extreme detail at 60FPS is pretty amazing. The PS3 version performed nicely for me but this is just another league. Disappointed that DX11 breaks the game for me considering my card supports it, but honestly I don't even think I notice the difference.
Interesting. Were you getting the stutter elsewhere in the Steel Mill too? Just before I reached the Smelting Chamber I had to do a few steath kills and it would stutter just before the kill animation...

Sullichin

The city is well designed and it's really fun to just swing around. There's side missions and random goons to kill at any given time, and all the riddler trophies (far too many if you ask me!). The game directs you to the main quest with a marker in your HUD but you're almost always free to explore. The only negative about this design imo is that the indoor areas are not as fleshed out and labyrinth-esque as the first game at all. Sometimes you'll walk into a building and it's just a couple of big rooms to fight guys in, where AA had more 'find the air vent to sneak in' type stuff going for it.

Same recommendation. I did those missions, mostly to "get it over with" and familiarize myself with game mechanics. Once you do that, plan how will you go around. I stuck to my usual open-world/RPG mechanic: "primary mission", then a couple of side mission, then another primary mission ,etc.
Enjoy it! One of the best games out there.

I played through this on PS3 and never got the grapple boost. I don't remember why but I think I found the later AR missions really frustrating. Maybe I'll get it this time.

Interesting. Were you getting the stutter elsewhere in the Steel Mill too? Just before I reached the Smelting Chamber I had to do a few steath kills and it would stutter just before the kill animation...
Yeah I was getting stutters all over the steel mill. During stealth takedowns and death screens. Weird because the indoor areas i've been in since have been really beautiful, high textured with tons of effects going on, and it runs fine. Don't know what it is about that area.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I was hoping because of the Dark Knight Rises movie coming out the Batman suit from the movie would be a skin in this game. sigh.

Just started playing this. The Riddles are different this time, it looks like they require different equipment to be able to complete them, is that right? I mean the discs with the ? on and they make a noise when you stand on them. Seen loads dotted around, some open gates but close as soon as you stand off them.

Cool game though so far. Not 100% sold on the open world nature of it, but it's very well made (again).

Tsukumo

If you have 360 or Ps3 there's a demo up on XBL and PSN you can download. Give it a shot.
And no, it's not open world.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Harley Quinn DLC any good? It's going for $10 if my memory serves, is it worth it at that price or should I wait for a discount? I haven't touched the game in a while but have been thinking about coming back to it soon.

Tsukumo

Is the Harley Quinn DLC any good? It's going for $10 if my memory serves, is it worth it at that price or should I wait for a discount? I haven't touched the game in a while but have been thinking about coming back to it soon.

not really. The events in the dlc ruin the epicness of the original ending, don't add any new map for challenge mode, Robin hasn't been made able to free-roam, mission is extremely short.
Good things: enemy design is as cool as in the main game, dialogues are great.

Tomodachi

Allright, I just started this game on PC. My 560 Ti is having a hard time to run it at full speed with all settings maxed, any hint on what I should turn off first? I'm using DX11, maybe that's the problem? I head it gave some problems but it should be patched now, right? I would try some stuff myself (and I did) but goddamn gfwl takes forever to launch the game so I'm trying to keep tries (lol) to a minimum. Thanks!

Sullichin

Allright, I just started this game on PC. My 560 Ti is having a hard time to run it at full speed with all settings maxed, any hint on what I should turn off first? I'm using DX11, maybe that's the problem? I head it gave some problems but it should be patched now, right? I would try some stuff myself (and I did) but goddamn gfwl takes forever to launch the game so I'm trying to keep tries (lol) to a minimum. Thanks!

DX11 was supposedly patched, but it runs like ass in DX11 mode for me (7870). A total crapshoot, sometimes it starts up at like 5FPS, sometimes it starts normally but with lots of fps drops. Disable DX11 and you'll be much better off.

SJRB

Gold Member

I posted a mini-"review" on the previous page.

Even though Arkham City is my GOTY 2011, this DLC is utterly terrible. It should have been free, considering its length and content.

Tomodachi

DX11 was supposedly patched, but it runs like ass in DX11 mode for me (7870). A total crapshoot, sometimes it starts up at like 5FPS, sometimes it starts normally but with lots of fps drops. Disable DX11 and you'll be much better off.
Ah, good stuff. I heard it was a crappy porting, now that you mention it. Will disable it right away, thank you. Too bad for tessellation :(

Tomodachi

Let us know when you get to the Steel Mill, and whether you notice any stuttering.
Yes, it runs like crap on DX11 especially in that area (much more than on the outside, I guess there are too many advanced effects in the Steel Mill), very smooth with DX11 disabled. I noticed in the UserEngine.ini there's a DX10 option that can be turned to TRUE, would that change anything? Right now D3D10 and D3D11 are both FALSE so I guess I'm running on DX9.

It is a pity though, right now it's always a beautiful sight but not so different from Arkham Asylum (except for the size of the areas of course) but it looked a lot prettier with DX11 (except for the stuttering) :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
not really. The events in the dlc ruin the epicness of the original ending, don't add any new map for challenge mode, Robin hasn't been made able to free-roam, mission is extremely short.
Good things: enemy design is as cool as in the main game, dialogues are great.

SJRB said:
I posted a mini-"review" on the previous page.

Even though Arkham City is my GOTY 2011, this DLC is utterly terrible. It should have been free, considering its length and content.

Oh jeez. Alright, well then I will steer clear of it for the time being.

Chairhome

I also have a 560ti and I'm running it on high with low physx and low fxaa. I still get lots of stuttering when outdoors and a little in the steel mill. Sometimes it runs like butter though. Thinking about lowering the settings even more but I would think that the card should be powerful enough to run it, I guess the game is just not optimized very well :-(. I'm even overclocking my card :-/.

I'll also say that I finished the Harley Quinn DLC and it was disappointing (luckily I only paid $3.xx for it during the steam sale :-D). Its pretty short, doesn't resolve anything, and feels like a few challenge maps strung together with a few fetch quests thrown in. Its nice to see some new dialogue between the characters, but that's pretty much it.

On the main game, I've beaten it but only have 49% complete. Not sure how to open up more quests, guess I'll run around Arkham a little more.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm running it on a 4890 and I don't get any stuttering and the game goes between 30-60fps on max settings no physx :\

I have a shitty processor too

Tomodachi

I tried with physx off the first time (didn't see the option since you have to scroll down, lol) and it was stuttering all the same. Did you leave DX11 on, Tess3ract?

PhysX on Normal seems to have no performance hit with my 560Ti. Totally smooth with everything maxed apart from DX11 being off.

Just that friggin Steel Mill gives me stutters.

malfcn

for the Family Jewels achievement..is the game supposed to dump me back in as Cat, or do I have to select the mission? I know I can select it, but I figured the way she was woven into the game I'd automatically be dumped into it.

Question: I've finished the main game and it looks like I'm not earning XP anymore, but there's still a gadget upgrade that's not available and gives no clue as to how to get it. It's the one in the bottom right corner. There's also a Riddler physical challenge I can't get because it says I don't have the gadget for it. Here's a screenshot. Anyone know what's missing and what I have to do to get it?

Top Bottom