• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City Review Thread

gdt

Goddamit! All this praise is fucking me up. I bought the PC version on GMG a few months ago. I have $20 in Amazon credit right now. I'm consider buying the 360 version, then selling it back as soon as the PC version comes out. FUCK.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Raxus said:
No spoilers. They mention some gadgets, but nothing major.

Are you serious? I mean it's GT.

Well then i'll watch it.

Thanks

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
gdt5016 said:
Goddamit! All this praise is fucking me up. I bought the PC version on GMG a few months ago. I have $20 in Amazon credit right now. I'm consider buying the 360 version, then selling it back as soon as the PC version comes out. FUCK.
Don't waste your money son! Invest it in something like Uncharted 3.

PC version will be worth the wait.

gdt

LiquidMetal14 said:
Don't waste your money son! Invest it in something like Uncharted 3.

PC version will be worth the wait.

Got UC3 preordered too, of course. Bah, I probably won't have the time to play much AC anyway, I've sunk 60 hours into Dark Souls in a week, and I'm quite a ways off from the end still.

Xater

TimmiT said:
How many spoilers does their review have? I like watching Gametrailers reviews, but I want to avoid it if it spoils too much.

The GT review is pretty much spoiler free, except if you avoided all the villain announcements because you see them in quick cuts when they mention which ones are in this game.

They also say that it has a New Game+ (yay!) and that the stories of the side missions rival the main storyline in quality (double yay!).

Jintor

Raxus said:
No spoilers. They mention some gadgets, but nothing major.

Eh, they do a few offhand spoilers but I'm not sure how relevant they are out of context. I would err on the side of not watching it though.

Vire

Okay folks, updated the OP with a whole bunch of amazing reviews.

MetaCritic is currently at 95!

Sn4ke_911 said:
lol Gamespot. How the fuck can those clowns give it the same score as AA.

Ugh, really?

If you use that line of reasoning every sports game should increase in score every year. Also a 9.0 from Gamespot is a very good score...

Rengoku

Interfectum said:
I'm shocked this game is getting 9/10s. I'll be shocked again when MW3, BF3, UC3 and Skyrim also receive 9/10s.

Most sequels are likely to get 9/10s unless they add enough refreshing new ideas to the existing formula. Just being a better game with the same mechanics probably won't push a game past 9/10.

DaBuddaDa

Scores are expected, but the review texts actually have me kind of bummin' out. Everyone is saying that the game's main progression is generally somewhat short, although no shorter than Arkham City, and the "open world" isn't really open world at all. A bigger campaign and a more open world were the two things I was looking forward to the most. I'm still OK though with just more of the same Batman awesomeness.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thank God the reviews had made my buy this game. This awesome looking game would be trash with bad reviews since they are THAT important

I'm like a runner on a team waiting for the baton and the reviews are my baton. OFF TO THE STORE TO PRE-ODOR!

Vire

Rengoku said:
Most sequels are likely to get 9/10s unless they add enough refreshing new ideas to the existing formula. Just being a better game with the same mechanics probably won't push a game past 9/10.
But it isn't just getting 9/10's....

It's not at 95 on MetaCritic for no reason.

Rengoku

Vire said:
But it isn't just getting 9/10's....

It's not at 95 on MetaCritic for no reason.

It's still really early, only 12 reviews up there so far, given more time, I wouldn't be shocked if a few more 9/10s or lower surface. It just seems like a common trend on MetaCritic that most games start out really strong. Just a general observation, not singling out AC. But it is tracking higher than Gears 3 so far.

DaBuddaDa

Rengoku said:
It just seems like a common trend on MetaCritic that most games start out really strong. Just a general observation, not singling out AC.
It's absolutely true: one week out a game is almost always 2-5 points lower than it was on release day. Gears 3 is a good example; it was at 94 after release day, and now it's at 91, a drop of 3.

WarMacheen

Hate that the PC version is delayed, but I'll wait and hopefully the game will take advantage of my system, graphically.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
DaBuddaDa said:
It's absolutely true: one week out a game is almost always 2-5 points lower than it was on release day.

Scores definitely dives somewhat when "lesser" sites get their hands on the respective games. Some are honest; however, most seem to (intentionally) attempt to either inflate or deflate the meta score.

Obsidian said:
*cancels preorder

He completely misunderstood the post. I can't be sure how he came to conclusion that I was complaining about the score.

Vire

Considering it's in the top 10 already for the best game of the generation on MC. I don't think that's anything to sneeze at.

And a lot of the perfect scores haven't been added yet either.

We'll see! I'll keep updating the OP as more reviews rolls in.

Derrick01

Banned
Vire said:
Considering it's in the top 10 already for the best game of the generation on MC. I don't think that's anything to sneeze at.

And a lot of the perfect scores haven't been added yet either.

We'll see! I'll keep updating the OP as more reviews rolls in.

Mass Effect 2 and GTA 4. Just sayin.

Plus it will go down when it gets the standard 40+ reviews. It's not like Ocarina of Time where it'll get 98 because only 18 people reviewed it. It's very hard to maintain 95+ today.

EDGE review

9 out of 10.

So if Arkham Asylum was defined by its limits, Arkham City is a careful, considered exercise in stripping those limits away. Its open city lets players be a different kind of Batman to the stealthy predator of Asylum – this is the Batman of dropped smoke pellets and theatrical getaways, the Batman with an ear to the ground for the strong picking on the weak, and the Batman who floats above the city with a gothic majesty. It's less focused, but more diverse, a miniseries rather than Asylum's moody one-shot. And at its heart, Rocksteady's defining take on its star remains just as you always imagined him – kicking, punching, sneaking and now flying. Arkham City might be filled with landmarks to visit and villains to smite, but being the Batman is still its primary draw, and Rocksteady doesn't let you forget it.

I was hoping some review would give it a 7.5 and say the last 2 points are locked until RockSteady pay the review for the online pass :p
The game sounds great but I don't think I have the time and money right now.

Sn4ke_911

Gamesradar - 10

We’ve tried to describe as much of Batman: Arkham City’s awesomeness in this review as possible, but there’s so little space and so much more to admire. The epic, soaring music. The arguably greatest graphics of the year so far. The predictably stellar voice acting, but with a particularly perverse performance by Mark Hamill as the Joker and especially enjoyable take by Nolan North on the Penguin. The menus filled with bonus short stories that address any questions you might have assumed were left unanswered. The Riddler’s Revenge mode that challenges you to clear a room of enemies using specific equipment or strategy. The clever little choices, like having the Bat signal be your custom waypoint marker. Even the bosses are cool!

The worst part of Arkham City, then, is wondering and worrying once more what Rocksteady can possibly do to top it for a third game. We can’t wait to find out.

For those who skipped straight to the end
Batman: Arkham Asylum was the greatest superhero game of all time. The sequel, Batman: Arkham City, is five times bigger and about a billion times better. You do the math.

aTGtR.png

Yeah this will be Gamesradar's GOTY for sure. Like they gave AA the GOTY award.

jett said:
really

really

really

:p

Sn4ke_911

So i watched the GT video review but i'm still hungry.

Any more video reviews without spoilers?

Top Bottom