• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City Review Thread

chickdigger802 said:
I already know what's good about this. More curious at it's flaws. Gonna have some problems here or there.

I do hope boss fights are better done.

I watched a bunch of the opening 55 minutes video, and the frame rate looked a little dicey. It might just be the way it was captured. Anyone have any input on this?

Vire

Poimandres said:
I watched a bunch of the opening 55 minutes video, and the frame rate looked a little dicey. It might just be the way it was captured. Anyone have any input on this?
Yeah no, the framerate is just fine. It's the same as AA.

Please don't use YouTube as a barometer for visual quality.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wasn't totally in love with AA. I thought the movement out of combat was like controlling Michael Keaton Batman (turning is a fucking chore), and the combat seemed too much about moving from one enemy to the other. I honestly don't get why everyone loved the game.

In general, AA suffered from the same issues Gears of War does. If you're not doing some scripted action, you walk around like a man with a tank up his butt. I don't like being forced to do contextual actions to make my characters not move around like turning requires a masters degree, so perhaps the game is not made for me.

That's fine. I'm sure everyone else will enjoy the game. Have fun, guys.

Vire said:
Yeah no, the framerate is just fine. It's the same as AA.

Please don't use YouTube as a barometer for visual quality.

Yeah, I know youtube and the like often make things look choppier than they actually are. Just wanted to check if this was an *actual* issue.

And it appears it isn't!

bhlaab

Vire said:
Magazine Reviews:

Game Informer - 10

"The best use of a license in the industry’s history."

OPM Australia - 10

"One of the best games ever made."

GameMaster UK - 9.7

"Brave, brutal, brilliant - the gold standard by which all future videogames should be judged."

Play3 - 9.2

"The best superhero game ever made."

God video game reviews are such garbage. Quit trying to be quoted on the box and just review the fucking thing would you please.

Even if you really really like the game there's no excuse for drivvel like "the gold standard by which all future videogames should be judged." IS IT. Are you sure you won't say the same exact thing about Uncharted 3 next month?

TheNatural said:
Could the only problem with this game be it's almost TOO good?
QeDAq.jpg

kneePat

Xbox or PS3? I played AA on PC and then replayed it on Xbox, so I think I'm going to play it on a console but have no clue as to which one.

Bazhard

Banned
Ridley327 said:
You and me both, buddy.

Stupid PC delay.
Rent console version?

Im buying it on both.

bhlaab said:
God video game reviews are such garbage. Quit trying to be quoted on the box and just review the fucking thing would you please.

Even if you really really like the game there's no excuse for drivvel like "the gold standard by which all future videogames should be judged." IS IT. Are you sure you won't say the same exact thing about Uncharted 3 next month?
Maybe it is in terms of combat polish, storytelling etc.

Lets face it, the majority of AAA games that come out usually have clunky combat and mediocre animation or storylines, instead of judging them wait to play it and try to see where they are coming from.

also it's an opinion.

Varth

Issue's out, if you want to add it.

64-72g.jpg

PlayGeneration (IT) - 95

Improves brilliantly an already great game. A masterpiece not to be missed.

+Top notch story and atmosphere.
+Excellent orchestral soundtrack.

-Minor UE flaws in the face models
-Detective mode is still too effective
-Slightly long loading

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Varth said:

64-72g.jpg

PlayGeneration (IT)

-Slightly long loading

It bothers me that neither the pluses nor the minuses have anything to do with actual gameplay (except the detective mode point)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can't wait until this arrives on Tuesday. I coincidentally have next week off of work, so it's going to be a damned fun time with this game.

Varth

thetrin said:
It bothers me that neither the pluses nor the minuses have anything to do with actual gameplay (except the detective mode point)

There was also a praise to the fighting system that I left out but yeah, in a long list of excellent features it wasn't easy to choose what stood out the most, so we picked what impressed the most versus what was a confirmation from the first game. I think it will take just the opening sequence and maybe an half hour to understand our choice.

M.W.

Dan said:
Can't wait until this arrives on Tuesday. I coincidentally have next week off of work, so it's going to be a damned fun time with this game.

Nice. But, will you beat it next week?

Oh yeah I forgot the embargo is up today.

I don't want to watch really. Damn spoilers everywhere.

They sneak up on you like Batman in the night.

Vire

Varth said:

64-72g.jpg

PlayGeneration (IT) - 95

Improves brilliantly an already great game. A masterpiece not to be missed.

-Slightly long loading
Most excellent. Added!

By the way folks, only one hour to go till the web embargo is up.

Derrick01

Banned
So they still couldn't find a way to lessen the effect of detective mode huh? Guess I'll have to use self control that I didn't have in AA and not use it all the time.

Varth

Derrick01 said:
So they still couldn't find a way to lessen the effect of detective mode huh? Guess I'll have to use self control that I didn't have in AA and not use it all the time.

I actually felt a bit less DM-addicted this time just because enviroment is a bit more "readable" than AA. But yeah, it's not a good thing forcing players to restrict themselves. Even a simple thing like forcing you to stand still to use it should have been sufficient.

Vire

Buckethead said:
I remember them saying they were going to change the look of DM.

It looks the exact same to me - am I missing something?
They limited the field of vision of objects. In Arkham Asylum it was much more clear to see through absolutely everything, but now you are limited to enemies and points of interest.

If you get hit in detective mode it also sputters.

So it definitely got nerfed.

Right but that's not really changing the look.
As one of the criticisms was that you're in DM most of the time so you don't get to enjoy the beautiful world they designed.

But I read they limited it's use so it's if not pointless far less applicable this time 'round.

For all it's faults, Bloodstone's use of 'detective mode' (I forget what it was called) was perfect. Stand perfectly still and it's clear, start to move and the screen starts to scramble, run or get hit and it's almost impossible to see what's happening without turning it off.

Solo

Buckethead said:
As one of the criticisms was that you're in DM most of the time so you don't get to enjoy the beautiful world they designed.

Only if you CHOOSE to be.

Non-issue.

Jintor

Vire said:
They limited the field of vision of objects. In Arkham Asylum it was much more clear to see through absolutely everything, but now you are limited to enemies and points of interest.

If you get hit in detective mode it also sputters.

So it definitely got nerfed.

They've also removed hud elements

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
Only if you CHOOSE to be.

Non-issue.

Reminds me of the people who complain that the ability to save at any time ruins the difficulty of a game.

Top Bottom