• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Premium includes 4 themed expansion packs with 16 maps and more

Falchion

I bet the content will be awesome and I also bet I won't touch it at all until Premium comes to EA Access. Season passes for online shooters should be dead since they split the userbase so I won't buy it.

Can dice at the very least give the maps a bit more long term value by allowing us to play them in offline bot matches? Like bf1942 to 2142?

VariantX

So let me get this straight:

BF1 Ultimate Edition is 130$ and contains the game, all pre-order bonuses and the season pass containing 4 DLCs?

Let´s look at Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare:

IW Digital Deluxe Edition is 100$ and contains Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered, some pre-order bonuses, and the season pass containing 4 DLCs.

--------------

Seems like CoD:IW DDE has way more value than the BF1 UE even at a lower price. Or am I missing something here?

The catch is that CoD will last, at most a year before any and all major support disappears along with the community to the next game. BF1 will retain those things over it's likely 2-3 year life. You may also get some free stuff with BF1 if they decided to do community map and weapon packs again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
but this is getting stupid.

Welcome to... 2012 when BF3 did this?

In any case, one map-pack every 3 months wouldn't be bad. 4 new maps each pack guaranteed. Unless they're going to rush these 16 out and do a CTE map-pack like they did toward the extension of BF4 (still the best EA support).

Any version of the game that includes premium?

BF5 Premium Edition within six months.

Cronnie

Definitely not picking premium up at launch, but closer to the first content being released I'll consider it as I'd have spent a fair bit of time with the game by that point.

Raven77

I've been playing online multiplayer games basically since they were first introduced. I feel that DLC has essentially ruined them for me. It splits the community and basically makes people who don't want to pay for the extra stuff quit because even if only 40% of the user base moves on to the DLC, it makes it that much harder to get a full match on the vanilla game. I don't want to wait around 10 minutes for a 64 player conquest match to fill up. Another large group of people just outright quit the game when the first map pack drops choosing not to upgrade and to no longer play a game with a divided community leaving even fewer people playing the vanilla game. I fall into that camp unfortunately.

I'm really sick of it. I don't want BF 1 to be dead by March when this first pack drops. To me the biggest issue is the new guns and classes. I would actually BUY this pack if it only had maps in it (because I love Battlefield so much) but I don't want to have some guns and classes locked to certain maps, or have guns that others don't have access to simply cause they didn't pay.

Tubie

BF4 Premium was worth $50 to me but it had 5 DLC packs and each came with 4 maps.

We're basically getting one less DLC pack just because they can charge whatever.

Aside from that, my biggest fear with this is that they will pull a Battlefront and Hardline where they just left a very small team to do the DLC and that meant the quality was not up to par with the original maps.

BF4 DLC was good because it had a full team (Dice LA)fixing the game and doing the DLC. They haven't done something like that since then.

To me the biggest issue is the new guns and classes. I would actually BUY this pack if it only had maps in it (because I love Battlefield so much) but I don't want to have some guns and classes locked to certain maps, or have guns that others don't have access to simply cause they didn't pay.

That's something i hadn't thought about, depending on how powerful the new weapons added to the game in these map packs are, couldn't that be considered similar to P2W? I know BF3 and BF4 did the same thing but it's really not something I've really considered before and i haven't seen any mentions of it.

BokehKing

Banned
No brainier, BF4 has been supported with new things up until very recently, I expect this game to have the same type of longevity

I'll gladly support dice by purchasing this.
BF4 Premium was worth $50 to me but it had 5 DLC packs and each came with 4 maps.

We're basically getting one less DLC pack just because they can charge whatever.

Aside from that, my biggest fear with this is that they will pull a Battlefront and Hardline where they just left a very small team to do the DLC and that meant the quality was not up to par with the original maps.

BF4 DLC was good because it had a full team (Dice LA)fixing the game and doing the DLC. They haven't done something like that since then.
They didn't stop giving us content after those DLC packs though

Pastry

Banned
That's something i hadn't thought about, depending on how powerful the new weapons added to the game in these map packs are, couldn't that be considered similar to P2W? I know BF3 and BF4 did the same thing but it's really not something I've really considered before and i haven't seen any mentions of it.

Nothing added in the BF4 DLC was overtly powerful. My favorite weapons are still actually from the base game. There was a useful gadget or two added but nothing game changing. No reason this would be any different.

on xbox one at least, it says that if you buy battlefield 1 digitally, it comes with a month of ea access. That gives a discount on season passes too i think...not sure if its the same on pc

VeeP

So let me get this straight:

BF1 Ultimate Edition is 130$ and contains the game, all pre-order bonuses and the season pass containing 4 DLCs?

Let´s look at Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare:

IW Digital Deluxe Edition is 100$ and contains Infinite Warfare + Modern Warfare Remastered, some pre-order bonuses, and the season pass containing 4 DLCs.

--------------

Seems like CoD:IW DDE has way more value than the BF1 UE even at a lower price. Or am I missing something here?

Your missing something. IW will literally feel more like map packs. While B1 will feel more like an expansion pack. Each DLC will come with new guns, maps, modes, weather, etc. Overall, a lot more effort put in.

Jinaar

Crooked DICE released a subpar BF4 that was mired in issues on launch day. Let me tell you, it was a huge mess. I invested in the whole Premium pack and due to launch day and the months that followed, I never did play any of it.

Sure, you all say how great it became, but as a consumer, I made the mistake of giving them credit on their past games and this is what I got out of it.

So I refused to purchase BF Hardline. I refused to purchase SW Battlefront. I will get this game but not the premium package. Wait till it is cheap.

EA and DICE lost revenue opportunities from me and they will continue to do so. I'm glad as a consumer I can make these choices with my wallet. I hope the best for BF1, but I'll not be the one that spends $120 bones on it day one. Screw that.

Daffy Duck

I am in the camp of saying Premium on BF4 was well worth it, (I bought it twice on PS4 and XBO), but as stated multiple times here, I hate the fracturing of the player base these map packs cause.

In 2016 there has to be better ways of providing maps (clue make them free).

Tubie

Yes BF4 had DLC exclusive weapons so I assume that's how it works here.

JP

It's hardly cheap but I've found that the Premium content on the previous Battlefield games ended up being really good value for me so I'll more than likely get this at some point.

Historically the new weapons haven't been crazy. They won't turn a bad player good and sometimes I still used the starting weapons. It's personal preference more than anything aka do you like how this weapon handles, it's range, fire rate, etc. There's nothing stopping them from making a DLC weapon super powerful but they haven't yet and the backlash and destruction of built up goodwill will outweigh any short-term monetary benefits.

Acorn

They've got to make sure they run servers for old dlc this time otherwise after a few months it's dead until the game hits a sale.

Bookoo

Not a problem for me. They support the games pretty well and that extra $50 bucks adds a good amount of content. However I don't see the reason to buy it right away. I normally wait until the first or second map pack is released.

Acorn

Not a problem for me. They support the games pretty well and that extra $50 bucks adds a good amount of content. However I don't see the reason to buy it right away. I normally wait until the first or second map pack is released.
I suspect battlepacks won't be as frequently given out.

Why are people in here acting like this isn't par for the course in Battlefield since BF3. Not to mention that BF4's expansions were amazing, and the trend is likely to continue here.

Paasei

Just like with the previous BF games. Buy the season pass (Premium), when it's ~20 euro's. Waste of money to pay for maps in the first place, let alone 50 euro's, rofl.

With games that rely on F2P mechanics the drip of new maps is so much slower. Just look at Siege.

Rainbow Six and Overwatch.
At least the big updates Siege receives are substantial, with 2 new operators as well. Overwatch feels too much a F2P game.

I sucks splitting the community with season pass a la COD and BF, but at least the amount of content is more decent.

killroy87

I'm not against the idea of a season pass, but I'll wait and see what the playerbase of this ends up being before I buy. BF4's was really good, and had the audience to support. Hardline...didn't.

People can do as they please with their money, but I feel like pre-ordering/purchasing the season pass before at least March 2017 when the first content drops is one of the most bone-headed moves possible. There's literally no benefit.

HariKari

Why are people in here acting like this isn't par for the course in Battlefield since BF3. Not to mention that BF4's expansions were amazing, and the trend is likely to continue here.

Portions of BF4's expansions were great, not all of them. Some maps were complete throwaways. But the larger point is that BF premium has never been optimal as it carves up the community into chunks when it should be a unified base to begin with. Other games like Overwatch are doing it better now, with a business model that's better for players. No reason EA can't figure out how to bridge the gap so that maps and modes are free.

Phinor

If you had read the replies, you would know what the issue is. The issue isn't that the expansion weren't good.

Theorry

I'm not against the idea of a season pass, but I'll wait and see what the playerbase of this ends up being before I buy. BF4's was really good, and had the audience to support. Hardline...didn't.

People can do as they please with their money, but I feel like pre-ordering/purchasing the season pass before at least March 2017 when the first content drops is one of the most bone-headed moves possible. There's literally no benefit.

This is a DICE military Battlefield game. Hardline wasnt and people were against a spin off before it even was announced.

Kalentan

The catch is that CoD will last, at most a year before any and all major support disappears along with the community to the next game. BF1 will retain those things over it's likely 2-3 year life. You may also get some free stuff with BF1 if they decided to do community map and weapon packs again.

That really depends on how good the game is. Black Ops 2 retained a huge player base even after Ghosts and AW came out. I imagine Black Ops 3 will too and if IW is good, then it will keep players.

killroy87

This is a DICE military Battlefield game. Hardline wasnt and people were against a spin off before it even was announced.

Still, I'm not fully convinced this game will be a knockout. I'm still getting the base game, but I'm not sold enough to pre-order DLC that won't come out for another 5 months after launch lol. Even just typing that out makes me wonder why anyone has ever pre-ordered a season pass.

Ramirez

Probably because pretty much every other studio has moved away from this awful model. It splits the playerbase too much, and like I said, when I played BF4 in its prime, my only option was to play on the DLC maps only. There was no option to just mix all of the maps together so that I could literally play a different map all night, nope...stuck with the same 4. They might have changed it eventually? I dunno, I gave up long before that.

Portions of BF4's expansions were great, not all of them. Some maps were complete throwaways. But the larger point is that BF premium has never been optimal as it carves up the community into chunks when it should be a unified base to begin with. Other games like Overwatch are doing it better now, with a business model that's better for players. No reason EA can't figure out how to bridge the gap so that maps and modes are free.
Other than some of the maps of Dragon's Teeth, I think they are all fine.

I don't care for Operation Metro but there are so many 247 servers for that map that people must like it.

CSJ

Because to complain about trends, a trend has to exist.
It's also becoming more costly and I'm not specifically talking about the Battlefield franchise solely.

Everyone I play with, including myself all give up around when you need to start paying for maps and it splits the player base.

OneUh8

I am getting this game at launch no question. I bought the season pass right away for BF3 and 4. I think this time I will wait until the actual first expansion comes out. I have been very pleased with the season pass the DICE has put out in the past though.

Overwatch? Titanfall 2? Siege? Halo 5?

So 3 of those games has done it.. And it's the rule now? Ummm no?

Im not defending EA for doing this but if that's all there is, this isn't a standard practice. Overwatch is a new game, TF2 isn't going to get 16 maps in its lifetime the same way the TF1 didn't, the Seige is barely a blimp and what part of Halo was a huge map expansion when they were mostly new added features? I may be wrong but how many maps has been released since it been out?

I'm just saying, this has been done since BF3 and it gives far more content than at least three of those except Overwatch right now.... I'm just not seeing the standard process in this or these large amount of games that's not doing paid map expansions. I only give BF the benefit of the doubt because it's not a yearly release,so the incentive for longevity makes sense. Splitting up the user base however is the only problem I see with this.

Top Bottom