• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3: E3 2011 Gameplay Trailers

Arnie said:
Yes. I'm hoping for a modern day take on Titan mode, and considering the multiple connections to 2142 we already have I think the chances of this aren't bad.

good point, also zh1nt0 said that everything can still change over night since the game is in development. It's also a reason they dont show new footage right now.

He sounded a bit panicked when talking about October 25th and that is getting close.

Arnie

Nostalgia~4ever said:
good point, also zh1nt0 said that everything can still change over night since the game is in development. It's also a reason they dont show new footage right now.

He sounded a bit panicked when talking about October 25th and that is getting close.
Aye, I listened to that podcast and he sounded frustrated, in my opinion, at not being able to share all the information bubbling around his head.

I'm not surprised he's feeling the strain though, this is by far DICE's biggest game to date and there are many people who're criticising them for the pettiest of things, simply because it deviates from Battlefield 2. The point of sequels is to improve and if they were to simply create the same game again then it wouldn't be a sequel.

A quick example of this is the class system, condensing the classes down to four from eight is a move they've employed in every game since BF2, and a correct one, but people have used it as an example of them not creating a proper sequel to BF2.

If I were DICE and I was making a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time in BF2, six years later when the industry has changed so dramatically, I too would be nervous in anticipation.

Arnie said:
Aye, I listened to that podcast and he sounded frustrated, in my opinion, at not being able to share all the information bubbling around his head.

I'm not surprised he's feeling the strain though, this is by far DICE's biggest game to date and there are many people who're criticising them for the pettiest of things, simply because it deviates from Battlefield 2. The point of sequels is to improve and if they were to simply create the same game again then it wouldn't be a sequel.

A quick example of this is the class system, condensing the classes down to four from eight is a move they've employed in every game since BF2, and a correct one, but people have used it as an example of them not creating a proper sequel to BF2.

If I were DICE and I was making a sequel to one of the greatest games of all time in BF2, six years later when the industry has changed so dramatically, I too would be nervous in anticipation.

He is nervous as you said and people are picky. The game needs to be good, but i dont think they need to re-invent the wheel for it.

Nostalgia~4ever said:
in latest podcast with dont relieve me bro DICE talks about about destruction. zh1nt0 says that frostbite 2 allows for destruction of everything in a map, but that would ruin the gameplay in multiplayer if everyone started off by tearing down every single building available. Gotta agree on that decision though.

Also, zh1nt0 says that DICE has moved from Pre-Alpha to Alpha now.
awwwww... scorched earth tactics are so much fun in BC2! especially on Nelson Bay!

The Faceless Master said:
awwwww... scorched earth tactics are so much fun in BC2! especially on Nelson Bay!

Yeah, dude. The destruction better not be dumbed down in any way. Maybe make it more difficult to get rid of all the cover, but scorching is a valid tactic, IMO.

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, dude. The destruction better not be dumbed down in any way. Maybe make it more difficult to get rid of all the cover, but scorching is a valid tactic, IMO.

eh he said the destruction is more advanced than BC2, well duh since FB2 uses Destruction 3.0 just that they will limit it due to gameplay decisions, and not because engine limitations. It makes sense to me.

Arnie

Nostalgia~4ever said:
He is nervous as you said and people are picky. The game needs to be good, but i dont think they need to re-invent the wheel for it.
Same. I think they need to combine the best bits out of 6 years of Battlefield in a core that is faithful to Battlefield 2, and from what they're saying (not what they've shown, which is evidently fuck all) it seems to be on track.

I love Conquest, but that doesn't mean I don't want Rush too, so long as I still get a helping of my traditional Conquest experience. At least we've got the Back to Karkand pack to guarantee some of that.

anyway, now that i'm thinking about it...

Support with Ammo Box + Suppressive Fire + Grenades = Blurry Grenade Spam Hijinks!?

I CALLED IT!!!

kinda like that time in the PS3 beta when i called Assault with Ammo Box and Explosives, only not as bad...

Keasar

Arnie said:
Yes. I'm hoping for a modern day take on Titan mode, and considering the multiple connections to 2142 we already have I think the chances of this aren't bad.

Titan mode, but with near coast battleships/carriers.

...Awesome!

Arnie

Keasar said:
Titan mode, but with near coast battleships/carriers.

...Awesome!
Would work on Wake and maybe Oman from the Back to Karkand pack alone. Although Oman would have to maybe have the second Titan up by the airfield.

f0rk said:
That was a retarded class decision.

If the support guy is laying down prone or has his LMG deployed on a wall 30 yards behind you providing suppression fire, is that really the guy you want responsible for healing and reviving you?

MrBig

I H8 Memes said:
If the support guy is laying down prone or has his LMG deployed on a wall 30 yards behind you providing suppression fire, is that really the guy you want responsible for healing and reviving you?
It makes sense to me too. It's a support class. He supports and covers the team with an mg from behind or to the flank.

Assault class is out where the actual action is happening and should be in a position where he can heal people.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Izayoi said:
They announced at E3 that it's an open beta available to everyone.

I'm pretty sure that there will be something more closed or else they wouldn't have put the beta promo on MOH's boxart.

Izayoi

Banned
Juan29.zapata said:
I'm pretty sure that there will be something more closed or else they wouldn't have put the beta promo on MOH's boxart.
Nope. They went back on that idea after all of the backlash.

Soma

Mikasangelos said:
270110_10150229958977672_308775617671_7396634_3608300_n.jpg
I love the character models. The Support dude looks like such a boss with his belt of bullets around his neck. Recon looks like a sneaky bastard and rightly so. The new Engineer looks like the American Medic from BC2 said fuck it and stole the BC2 Engineer's role for this game.

Also, I really hope they keep the awesome quips/callouts from BC2 whenever you get a revenge kill.

"How do you like me now, bitch?"

or

"Fuck you, man!"

moonspeak said:
I love the character models. The Support dude looks like such a boss with his belt of bullets around his neck. Recon looks like a sneaky bastard and rightly so. The new Engineer looks like the American Medic from BC2 said fuck it and stole the BC2 Engineer's role for this game.

Also, I really hope they keep the awesome quips/callouts from BC2 whenever you get a revenge kill.

"How do you like me now, bitch?"

or

"Fuck you, man!"

Those character models look awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
DXPett1 said:
wait... why does the support icon look like a medic icon? I thought Assault was the new medic (if you chose that path)
It's a mix up in that version of the art. It's correct in the version with the black background.

Klocker

MrBig said:
It makes sense to me too. It's a support class. He supports and covers the team with an mg from behind or to the flank.

Assault class is out where the actual action is happening and should be in a position where he can heal people.

exactly... was always stupid to have the guy with the biggest ammo filled weapon up front playing nursemaid ...getchur ass behind me and keep those bastage's heads down (or blown off)! while the rest of us do some objective work

Miggytronz

spicy cho said:
So you're saying I can throw out my LE copy of MoH, still in its plastic wrap because it's worthless?

See..... DICE came out and said OPEN BETA yet nothing about MoH disk being required to access that open BETA. So who knows?

Spl1nter

Zh1nto did make a reference to MOH owners in a podcast when refering to the beta. An Open Beta does not mean its available to everyone. Only that there is no NDA.

Eric WK

Nostalgia~4ever said:
Does noone listen to dontrevivemebro podcasts here? Yes dice confirms it is open beta

No shit. Everybody knows it's an "open" beta. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't need to do something for access (own MoH or preorder BF3). And unless I'm missing something, the only news from that podcast was that final beta news would be coming very soon.

I'm yet to see any source from EA or DICE that says you definitely won't need to own MoH or preorder BF3 to get the beta. "Open" in this case may very well may mean that everyone can download it freely, but in the past that hasn't always been the case. I don't really care either way, but if we don't know for sure we shouldn't be spreading misinformation.

Spl1nter said:
Zh1nto did make a reference to MOH owners in a podcast when refering to the beta. An Open Beta does not mean its available to everyone. Only that there is no NDA.

Exactly.

Top Bottom