• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 |OT| My Body is Advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

owlbeak

Anyone else still not able to play B2K because it keeps telling you that you need to buy it?

Ugh...in que for my third chat with EA support. :(

RotBot

What do you mean? I can't put enough emphasis on how important the mini-map is in this game. More so than any other fps I've played. Seems to be more than adequate IMO, or are you referring to the map during spawn?

I'm guessing the other fps you've played don't include any of the earlier Battlefield games, which had minimaps and maps that gave you a clear idea of where everything is and where you were spawning.

What do you mean? I can't put enough emphasis on how important the mini-map is in this game. More so than any other fps I've played. Seems to be more than adequate IMO, or are you referring to the map during spawn?

The minimap in this game is horrible. I thought that was pretty much unanimous.

Besides the symbols being a mess to read, the default zoom level is too close in, but if you zoom out one level then everything gets even more jumbled.

This seemed like a crazy idea at first, but what I've actually been doing lately is zooming the mini-map out one level and then running around with it enlarged. It takes up about 20% of your screen, but the situational awareness it gives you can often times make up for that. Because I will absolutely agree with you, the mini-map is extremely important. I also have 'enlarge' mapped to my middle mouse button, so I can quickly raise and lower it. If I feel like I'm about to immediately get into a firefight I'll lower it quick for the extra vision.

It seemed stupid at first, but yeah, I'm actually starting to get used to having it up all the time.

iam220

I'm guessing the other fps you've played don't include any of the earlier Battlefield games, which had minimaps and maps that gave you a clear idea of where everything is and where you were spawning.

Read my post again I didn't say that the mini-map is better than any other fps, just more important. Certainly more important that all previous bf games seeing how shooting your gun gets you revealed as well as things like MAV , motion sensor etc. I suppose BC2 comes close but I don't remember shooting your gun revealing you for as long as it does in BF3. Plus the 3d spotting in BC2 was much more effective so you didn't have to rely on your mini-map as much.

Anyways, if you're talking about the mini-map during the spawn screen than yeah, it is overly cluttered, but the mini-map during gameplay is fine.

It seemed stupid at first, but yeah, I'm actually starting to get used to having it up all the time.

You know I used to do that too, but than I got much better at judging the distance with the smaller mini-map, so now I just leave it like that for maximum screen real-estate. It's confusing at first because the icons seem to be bigger than they should be, I think that's what makes it difficult to judge the distance properly.

I'm going to have to disagree with the mini-map being horrible, there's nothing about it that makes it fundamentally broken. (Although a month ago I might have agreed with you)

Plus the 3d spotting in BC2 was much more effective so you didn't have to rely on your mini-map as much.

Let me just take this time to say, I love the new (nerfed) 3d spotting in Battlefield 3. If there was any single reason why I didn't really get into BC2, it was the 3d spotting and how it completely dumbed down the gameplay.

What they did with BF3 is the perfect balance. It does what it's meant to, but still doesn't track you around corners and shit like it did in BC2.

mcp

Neo Member
I was just checking out my remaining tank unlocks in battlelog and noticed that the CITV station seems to have vanished. It is showing that I have 8 of 12 unlocks with the last unlock being reactive armour at ~80k. They didn't remove the CITV station did they ?

I was just checking out my remaining tank unlocks in battlelog and noticed that the CITV station seems to have vanished. It is showing that I have 8 of 12 unlocks with the last unlock being reactive armour at ~80k. They didn't remove the CITV station did they ?

Nope. I used it on Wake yesterday.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Back To Karkand may have saved this game for me. I was on the verge of turning it in, but these maps are so much fucking better than the BF3 maps. Playing on them actually feels like Im playing BF again. Open, plenty of room to move around. A lot of the BF3 maps are missing this, they're basically large maps full of killzones.

Now my only problem is whether or not I can deal with just playing four maps.

Rapstah

I'm going crazy over the second Support assignment. I guess it's positive that pretty much any automatic weapon can give supression assists (that automatic pistol especially since it does very little damage at range). The annoying part is that it takes a good game for me to even start getting supression assists, and then I'll walk out of those games with three or four at most. Getting to 50 hurts.

Spl1nter

I think the m16a3 is my new shit. Looking at my stats, I have my second highest assault class weapon accuracy with 20%. Only the kh2002 tops that with 22%. I think it is slightly weaker at range than the KH2002 but the full auto and quick reload make up for that easily. The gun feels like a work horse, very dependable, reliable, and consistent.

Kyaw

Fucking pubs not going for other objectives and kept getting killed by enemy.

Loving the new maps. So much better than vanilla maps.

Phandy

Back To Karkand may have saved this game for me. I was on the verge of turning it in, but these maps are so much fucking better than the BF3 maps. Playing on them actually feels like Im playing BF again. Open, plenty of room to move around. A lot of the BF3 maps are missing this, they're basically large maps full of killzones.

Now my only problem is whether or not I can deal with just playing four maps.

4 maps is too much. All I need is Karkand and Oman and I'm good for life. I don't ever need another battlefield map.

iam220

Does the silencer increase the damage dropoff? It says it only decreases hip fire accuracy but it feels like the damage dropoff is effected as well. I sure hope so as it's currently the obvious choice for the 3rd attachment and dare I say it .. OP. It also seems to decrease your recoil, which it really shouldn't do ... hiding your position when firing is enough of an advantage.

Spl1nter

Does the silencer increase the damage dropoff? It says it only decreases hip fire accuracy but it feels like the damage dropoff is effected as well. I sure hope so as it's currently the obvious choice for the 3rd attachment and dare I say it .. OP. It also seems to decrease your recoil, which it really shouldn't do ... hiding your position when firing is enough of an advantage.

Silencers:
-10% vertical recoil
-50% ADS minimum spread
+34% Hip fire minimum spread

Damage drop off occurs much quicker, means minimum damage is reached much earlier.
Muzzle velocity (bullet travel speed, set to 300m/s) is much slower which increases bullet drop as well.
Does not show you on minimap when firing

The minimap in this game is horrible. I thought that was pretty much unanimous.

Besides the symbols being a mess to read, the default zoom level is too close in, but if you zoom out one level then everything gets even more jumbled.

Another problem with is that it doesn't even show the entirety of the bigger maps like Wake Island even with it maximised and at the biggest map scale. Such is BF3.

It's definitely taken off Battlelog. Whether it's still there or not is another thing.

Wthermans

Banned
Why not? That's their reasoning behind a lot of the weapon changes/decisions. They even removed burst fire from the HK416 and are adding it to the HK53 for authenticity's sake.

Then DICE has a strange way of picking and choosing how real they want their games to be and it really highlights how they have no clue how they want to balance their game. Otherwise, why do open bolt weapons have silencers?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
overall not impressed by the QBU-88. :(

Way too much recoil in my opinion.

What? It has no recoil. Again: All the B2K guns so far have no recoil and kick. Simply press the trigger and hold it down and you'll kill people. It's crazy.

Wait, that's the Sniper Rifle that is bugged on PS3 isn't it? The QBB is probably one of the better LMG until you unlock the MG36 anyway. Stupid same-name conventions. :/

Qwell

I'm going crazy over the second Support assignment. I guess it's positive that pretty much any automatic weapon can give supression assists (that automatic pistol especially since it does very little damage at range). The annoying part is that it takes a good game for me to even start getting supression assists, and then I'll walk out of those games with three or four at most. Getting to 50 hurts.

I actually found it went fairly quick for me, not sure its just the games or what, but I was playing Rush maps so I could also work on the "familar weapon" challenge of arming 10 MCOMs. I simply used the QBU88 or whatever its called and would either hipfire at people or just kind of spray and pray a bunch towards the enemy. Make sure you are rolling around with other folks, I think playing Rush maps helped because it creates the kill zones and directs people into a killbox you can spray.

Spl1nter

I posted the stats yesterday for concurrent players, so I decided to do it again to show console domination.

PC online 120 092
PS3 online 89 358
360 online 82 501

edit: That cant be right, must be an extra 0 in there for the PC numbers.

Then DICE has a strange way of picking and choosing how real they want their games to be and it really highlights how they have no clue how they want to balance their game. Otherwise, why do open bolt weapons have silencers?

What does level of realism a game go for have to do with balance? Go from complaining about abiliy of mounting an attachment on a weapon to game balance now?

And yes you can put a silencer on open bolt weapons, it's not as effective, but at long ranges the noise would be neglible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I posted the stats yesterday for concurrent players, so I decided to do it again to show console domination.

PC online 120 092
PS3 online 89 358
360 online 82 501

SUCK IT CONSOLE GAMERS

GLORIOUSPCMASTERRACE.jpg

Am I doing devils advocate right?

What? It has no recoil. Again: All the B2K guns so far have no recoil and kick. Simply press the trigger and hold it down and you'll kill people. It's crazy.

Wait, that's the Sniper Rifle that is bugged on PS3 isn't it? The QBB is probably one of the better LMG until you unlock the MG36 anyway. Stupid same-name conventions. :/

Oh well, back to using the SKS.

Even if those stats are true -which I highly doubt- unless the PC doubles total concurrent console base, PC gaming is dead.

The site gets it stats directly from EA master servers, they also run sites for other EA online game stat tracking. It seems quite accurate from what I've seen on tracking info.

Spotting in BF3 is 100000x more fair and balanced than BC2.

Spotting was bugging me last night. I mean you mash the select button all round long and you're lucky to get 100 points out of the deal. Or how when you spot a group of enemies, kill them all yourself, you don't get any bonus points for spotting them first. Not whining about the lack of points per se, just saying my efforts to be a fantastic spotter have not been rewarded, thus I am likely going to stop doing it.

I'd go 5 points for a spot, 20 points for a spot-bonus. (I play on Hardcore if that effects opinons on the suggestion.)

Speaking of Hardcore, I don't give a fuck who killed me or what weapon they were using. Thanks for the no kill-cam, but that screen can gtfo too. Just puts bad thoughts in my head.

PC online 120 092
PS3 online 89 358
360 online 82 501

I asked it before and I'll ask again, where are u seeing those stats?

Mazdarati

Neo Member
Even if those stats are true -which I highly doubt- unless the PC doubles total concurrent console base, PC gaming is dead.

What are the numbers like during peak times in NA(7pm-12am EST)?

edit: I really don't know when peak times are; just a guess based on when people normally get off work/school.

Otherwise, why do open bolt weapons have silencers?

What do you mean?

Spotting was bugging me last night. I mean you mash the select button all round long and you're lucky to get 100 points out of the deal. Or how when you spot a group of enemies, kill them all yourself, you don't get any bonus points for spotting them first. Not whining about the lack of points per se, just saying my efforts to be a fantastic spotter have not been rewarded, thus I am likely going to stop doing it.

I'd go 5 points for a spot, 20 points for a spot-bonus. (I play on Hardcore if that effects opinons on the suggestion.)

Spotting in HC is a different beast. You can't really blame the spotting system, since it's based around 3D spotting--I get spot assists all the time. Spotting is only useful in HC if it's close range (so they show on minimap) or if it's an enemy near your team. And then of course, you have to rely on your teammates to actually look at the minimap.

What do you mean?

Weapon with open bolt makes more noise and is harder to silence. But doesn't mean you can't put a suppressor on them, it still works, just not as well. At long ranges the difference in sound would not matter muh.

The game though does not have mechanic to determine different levels of suppressor effect on weapons, as all weapons tend to have different sounding behaviour with different types of silencers. They would need to make it that some guns sound different and work better at different ranges when it came to sound suppression. Would be quite a feat for a game to pull this off, no one really has tried it, even realistic shooters.

Weapon with open bolt makes more noise and is harder to silence. But doesn't mean you can't put a suppressor on them, it still works, just not as well. At long ranges the difference in sound would not matter muh.

The game though does not have mechanic to determine different levels of suppressor effect on weapons, as all weapons tend to have different sounding behaviour with different types of silencers. They would need to make it that some guns sound different and work better at different ranges when it came to sound suppression. Would be quite a feat for a game to pull this off, no one really has tried it, even realistic shooters.

Thanks, I was a bit confused by his statement--he made it sound like they can't be used on open-bolt weapons.

I'd love to see a realistic portrayal of suppressors, but yeah, will probably not happen. Suppressed .223's usually sound like a .22LR. Black Hawk Down actually had a fairly realistic portrayal of suppressors--I think one of the Delta snipers had a suppressed CAR-15 and it was still pretty loud at close range.

No, friend, stay strong!! Us Q-mashers play a vital role in the Battlefield ecosystem! Just ask the Mini-map-watchers.

I am a mini-map watcher! That's exactly where I'm coming from: you can literally see the effect your spotting has on a match, and the points don't match the effect! 10 fucking points, if someone happens to get a kill. Whatever, DICE. I can get ten times that just dropping a silly medpack. I can get five times that just from landing a bullet into someone instead of spotting them (from the kill assist). Just doesn't add up.

mcp

Neo Member
Does every little action really need to make points fly out like a slot machine? I find spotting useful just because it makes it easier to kill the guy and it makes it less likely that he is going to kill me. Spotting is pretty much a reflex I do with all the other actions.

That said I wouldn't mind if they were to increase it though. Points are always good and anything to encourage spotting is a good thing. It is probably the best passive teamplay tool in the game.

Does every little action really need to make points fly out like a slot machine?

I'm just comparing the effort spotting takes, and the effect it has on a given scenario, against the points you're rewarded with for doing it. Like I said, as an Assault I can drop a medpack after a 10-second sprint and nab 50-100 points; but I spend 2 minutes recon'ing the enemy's approach, spotting 10 guys, and I get 20 points if I'm lucky as shit. And my point is that makes me not want to spend any time spotting or recon'ing if I can get way more points doing other things.

Points are always good and anything to encourage spotting is a good thing. It is probably the best passive teamplay tool in the game.

Yes, yes, this is also my point.

Does every little action really need to make points fly out like a slot machine? I find spotting useful just because it makes it easier to kill the guy and it makes it less likely that he is going to kill me. Spotting is pretty much a reflex I do with all the other actions.

That said I wouldn't mind if they were to increase it though. Points are always good and anything to encourage spotting is a good thing. It is probably the best passive teamplay tool in the game.

Carrot on stick to try and force people to play as a team rather than being a bunch of lone wolf K/D whores. It's nice to get incentives and rewarded for being a team player though.

iam220

I am a mini-map watcher! That's exactly where I'm coming from: you can literally see the effect your spotting has on a match, and the points don't match the effect! 10 fucking points, if someone happens to get a kill. Whatever, DICE. I can get ten times that just dropping a silly medpack. I can get five times that just from landing a bullet into someone instead of spotting them (from the kill assist). Just doesn't add up.

Agreed, Make spotting 20-30 points AND have it pay out the spot bonus even if you were the one to kill the enemy you've spotted. I still spot despite the disproportional rewards but it would be nice to have them.

Does every little action really need to make points fly out like a slot machine?

Yes. If you're going to implement rewards for actions other than killing or capturing flags than you might as well take it to its logical conclusion. Like getting 50 points for suppressing the enemy, "hey, you shot near the enemy, close to enough for their vision to get a bit blurry, here have some points!" ... good stuff.

commedieu

Banned
If anyone is having trouble accessing Karkland on PC the delete cookies/cache/repair install works.

- Log out of Battlelog. Clear cache/cookies..
- Repair install.

a # of people were running into issues where you'd buy the content, and battlelog wouldn't recognize.

Enkidu

I'm going to have to disagree with the mini-map being horrible, there's nothing about it that makes it fundamentally broken. (Although a month ago I might have agreed with you)
As a mini-map, I guess it is ok. The transparent white-blue style combined with overly large icons is annoying and makes it less useful than it should be, but it is useful. I also tend to have it enlarged since it's too damn small when playing at 1920x1080 otherwise (wish they would let you scale the HUD elements yourself). So as I said, it does the job as a mini-map but that's not the main problem.

The big reason why it's useless is that enlarging it is crap. When I press m I want something more like this:
fKYfV.jpg

Notice how large and clear that map is. You can instantly tell which flags belong to which team and every vehicle is clearly seen. It's also very clean since you don't have to deal with unnecessary information such as health-packs cluttering it. The lack of a map like this is definitely affecting the the teamwork negatively right now. Often times I find that I have no idea which flags belong to which team and end up just having to run towards the closest red marker on the hud and hope for the best. A map like this should of course also be used when spawning so you can clearly see what's going on (along with being able to select the spawn point by clicking on the map like in the old games, instead of this stupid list they added for no reason) but it is definitely needed in game as well.

gray_fox224

LOLWUTpear.jpg

No, not it doesn't. In fact I haven't really needed to use burst/single-shot on any of the new guns yet. Which is insane.

The second medic unlock has no recoil or bullet spread at all. Just hold the trigger down on a person and if you hitmarker them once you pretty much hold the trigger and kill them with the rest of the bullets. Crazy. The FAMAS is similar and the only downfall of it is the damn iron-sights (not going into how broken it is with it's RoF/damage, but~)
The F2000 is much more stable on auto. I feel that the FAMAS is uncontrollable

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow.

I wonder when they're gonna nerf the G35 to hell. That weapon is fucking amazing and can really mow enemies down.

And it's less used that the over-used FAMAS as of now.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Im not sure if it's just because lolconsoles, but the new maps seem pretty damn ugly (low res textures) on the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom