• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4/XB1 footage on 10/29 [Up3: Comparisons coming in at midnight EDT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
If the One version is better than the PS4 version, in a graphical 1-1 comparison, Dice should be ashamed. But this is the internet and anything could happen.

I don't think it will come to that though. I can't see Dice trying to pull those kind of shenanigans. And we won't know until launch anyways, because as people have already stated, MP looks bad compared to SP.
battlefield-3-jet-combat.jpg

bf3-battlefield-3-jets-images.jpg

And either way, I have already bought BF4. Just haven't bought it twice yet.

I love the mental masturbation here. But it's simply logic, assuming the following statements are indeed true:

Statement: It is no surprise that the SP of a game will look better than its MP
Statement: Jaks is showing a video of Xbone SP vs. PS4 MP
Statement: Jaks has said one version is clearly better looking than the other
Statement: Jaks said you would be surprised at the outcome of Xbone vs. PS4

Conclusion:

If all these statements are in fact true, then the only logical conclusion is that the PS4 MP looks better than the Xbone SP, that is, the only possible "surprise" assuming all those facts are true.

The only thing that could change this is if Statement #1 doesn't happen to be true in BF4. For example, if the SP and MP in BF4 are identical. In which case, the surprise could be either Xbone SP looking better or PS4 MP looking better, although I think most would agree that the Xbone SP looking better would be a bigger surprise in that scenario. Megaton actually.
I'm not so sure.

I mean whilst SP looks better than MP, I don't think the difference is often stark enough to most people that if you asked them which is better a lot would likely say they're the same.

To me the surprise would be that Xbox One looks better - after all everyone who hasn't pre-ordered the Xbox One is rejoicing in how the PS4 is trouncing the console in the specs and performance department so it isn't going to be a surprise if the PS4 looked better.

Prologue

SP for X1 will look better than PS4 MP. Neogaf will crash and MS will be called a few not so nice names for being sneaky.

Its probably that the gulf between PS4 and Xbox One is bigger than expected, unfortunately. However if it was that the One looks better than the PS4, the reaction on this place would be hilarious, unfortunately, we wont get to see that.

RulkezX

Ok guys if anyone is expecting anything other than PS4 > Xbone visuals, then you are being really naive. I would hope that by now we'd have realistic and grounded expectations of what the visuals on both consoles will be like, given all the information we've had so far.

As far as PS4 MP looking better than xbone SP goes, that would be absurd. I honestly can't believe that this would even be a possibility.
Yet there is really only one way to take that tweet.

The ONLY way anyone could be surprised is if his XO footage looks better.

No one will care if it's MP vs SP , the narrative will be -

"BF 4 looks best on Xbox One, console power disparity proven false"

That's the story i'm expecting we will see on Kotaku and Polygon etc come the 29th.

Cuyejo

Is there really that much of a difference between SP and MP graphics?
In the little I played of BF3's awful SP campaign I didn't notice such a gap when compared to MP.
I think you are exaggerating.

netBuff

That's the story i'm expecting we will see on Kotaku and Polygon etc come the 29th.

The only way to take that tweet is: Someone wants to drum up the most possible excitement for his BF videos. Nothing more.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Couldn't you pretty much apply this quote to every single developer working on both platforms? lol
At this point, probably, although DICE have been fairly vocal about it on Twitter. This whole paranoia about MS mandating parity is nonsense and I can't wait until the comparisons are out to shut that stupid speculation down. Right now there is a notable power difference between the two consoles and it seems devs are having a harder time getting games up to snuff on the weaker platform. Differences will be major at launch, much moreso than I ever expected.

It's pretty obvious why they are doing this. The single player probably performs a lot better on ps4. To prevent major backlash before launch they are trying to mislead casuals and bro dudes. Knowing how single player always looks better than multiplayer, casuals will see both videos and think there is no major difference. Microsoft is trying all they can to prevent the truth from getting out before launch to keep their preorders safe. Once the consoles are in the hands of people, there is nothing they can do about it.

Hmmm

man/man

Banned
I don't know how you've managed to go under the radar this long, every time I've seen you in a thread it has been nothing buy trolling/fanboy drivel.

Fanboy? I have no intention of buying either of these consoles.

GPU matters of course, but its not out of the question that other factors can contribute to an overall better product.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

tkalamba

In the little I played BF3's awful SP campaign I didn't notice such a gap when compared to MP.

Usually SP has more visual flair as it doesn't have to account for all those players. Explosions and set pieces will be bigger and whatnot.

Heres a nonsensical opinion. Could it be that the Ones multiplayer looks better than the PS4's multiplayer because those 64 player games are hosted by the cloud and not on the local box, freeing up processing power? Highly doubtful/nigh on impossible, but would be amusing considering the cloud bashing.

def sim

Heres a nonsensical opinion. Could it be that the Ones multiplayer looks better than the PS4's multiplayer because those 64 player games are hosted by the cloud and not on the local box, freeing up processing power? Highly doubtful/nigh on impossible, but would be amusing considering the cloud bashing.

both versions are utilizing ea's dedicated servers

Pain

Banned
BF4 is using EA's servers.

tkalamba

DICE opted to not use Cloud, and to use EA Servers.

Josh378

My body is prepared is both versions runs the same...I expect PS4's Killzone: SF sales will spike soon after the 29th if this holds true...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
In the little I played of BF3's awful SP campaign I didn't notice such a gap when compared to MP.
I think you are exaggerating.
There's a huge difference in BF3, I found (on both PC and consoles). I never thought it looked all that fantastic in MP, which is odd as that's how the game is designed to be played.

The BF4 beta wasn't exactly amazing looking on PC either (which was a multiplayer map). Certainly nowhere near as impressive as what we've seen of the single player campaign.

It's pretty obvious why they are doing this. The single player probably performs a lot better on ps4. To prevent major backlash before launch they are trying to mislead casuals and bro dudes. Knowing how single player always looks better than multiplayer, casuals will see both videos and think there is no major difference. Microsoft is trying all they can to prevent the truth from getting out before launch to keep their preorders safe. Once the consoles are in the hands of people, there is nothing they can do about it.
dingdingding

jaaz

Jaks is a respected BF player with lots of followers. I think its doubtful he would compare the visuals in Xbone SP directly with PS4 MP and act like that is a direct comparison of IQ. His reputation would be trashed forever among those that actually watch his videos and know better, the core gamers. Just doesn't seem likely.

He used a SP vs. MP comparison for a reason, and again the only reason I can think of is that PS4 MP looks as good as Xbone SP, which would be a huge surprise.

Josh378

It's called 30 day return policy...

Joke post??

Krilekk

Banned
Since this is slowly devouring the various Battlefield 4 threads, let's centralize this here.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_4/comments/1p6m71/floodzone_gameplay/cczc3wi

Source: https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/393692774358204416

Nobody at this point would be surprised if the PS4 version turned out superior. So I'm guessing it's the other way around. Think about this: Singleplayer is obviously gonna be prettier than Multiplayer, so why did he play through the campaign on X1?

Would fit with Alberts statements, that

a) they can't wait til release when the truth finally comes out
b) they have a balanced system and won't give Sony a 30 % edge over X1
c) people might be shocked when they see which console is more powerful

And EA devs stating that
a) One console turned out much more powerful than they were lead to believe for quite some time, meaning one version of Rivals would turn out superior to the other (notice the potential play on words with "Xbox One")

And Respawn stating that
a) they are on Xbox One because they share Microsofts vision and design

Crazy times. I want to believe but I can't. 1.8 TF vs. 1.3 TF. But maybe PS4 is severely held back by the CPU and can't match the X1 upclock?

geordiemp

BF4 Pre-order cancelled...whatever the outcome LOL

Seriously, next gen games asking £ 55 for the game and not giving us all the details...

Yeah, pre-order cancelled and not ordering until EA can be bothered to share with me their game details..

Microsoft has said that cloud based things are "incubating" atm. Besides titanfall, i believe the first true game that will use cloud computing is Halo 5.

If you notice those two statements are on different mediums. He makes the statement about one looking better on Reddit, then the surprise comment on twitter.

I think therefore we can't interpret the twitter comment in the context of the Reddit comment.
The twitter comment I take as him alerting his followers to the existing disparity between the two versions.

am I making sense?

Nobody at this point would be surprised if the PS4 version turned out superior. So I'm guessing it's the other way around. Think about this: Singleplayer is obviously gonna be prettier than Multiplayer, so why did he play through the campaign on X1?

And EA devs stating that
a) One console turned out much more powerful than they were lead to believe for quite some time, meaning one version of Rivals would turn out superior to the other (notice the potential play on words with "Xbox One")

And Respawn stating that

Crazy times. I want to believe but I can't. 1.8 TF vs. 1.3 TF. But maybe PS4 is severely held back by the CPU and can't match the X1 upclock?

I really hope this isn't serious.

Wasn't DICE in Sony's corner around or prior to E3? If the PS4 version looks worse than the Xbone's whether its SP or MP it would be hilarious. They literally have no excuse not to make these at the very least the same on both.

If I'm a dev I'm just as excited to play with these new systems as we are. They'll be showing off their accomplishments and I'm betting on the PS4 for this one.

Microsoft has said that cloud based things are "incubating" atm. Besides titanfall, i believe the first true game that will use cloud computing is Halo 5.

Depends what you're referring to as making use of cloud computing. Forza is already using it for AI avatar thingy, and Ghosts is rumoured to use dedicated servers, or was that debunked?

Bsigg12

Everyone knows they will be having that USA versus Europe BF4 tournament that takes place 3 days after this footage is released right? All of the footage shown next Friday is all Xbox One multiplayer so we can compare then.

J-P

Neo Member

And EA devs stating that

And Respawn stating that

If you believe this stretch, then how do you account for COD resolution debacle?

HariKari

Yet no videos apparently of the SP campaign on either console... until Jaks posts the video next week and compares it with PS4 MP. And says there is a big surprise. I'm fairly certain I know what that means...

To be fair, no one really wants to see the SP story spoiled in any significant way, DICE included. An embargo there is understandable.

If the One version is better than the PS4 version, in a graphical 1-1 comparison, Dice should be ashamed. But this is the internet and anything could happen.

I don't think it will come to that though. I can't see Dice trying to pull those kind of shenanigans. And we won't know until launch anyways, because as people have already stated, MP looks bad compared to SP.

And either way, I have already bought BF4. Just haven't bought it twice yet.

How can you say that? If BF4 looks better on the one (and I highly doubt it does) its because one machine had an advantage, nothing else. Dice would have nothing to be ashamed of. Its all hypothetical anyway, the PS4 version will be nicer.

Or, you know, PS4 version is out in 3 weeks and servers are probably up and ready, while Xbox One is a week later and probably not ready yet.

SeanR1221

And EA devs stating that

And Respawn stating that

This is a huge reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom