• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

Yup. But then imagine WW2.

I remember my mind being blown when I played Allied Assault.

qNBpXMV.gif

This gif perspective made me wonder if there's ever been a major WW2 game where you play from the perspective of the Axis? Obviously that wouldn't happen for the whole game, but most military shooters now put you in the role of various soldiers across different countries. I wouldn't expect the dev to make you sympathetic for them or anything like that. Or is just the concept of playing from the other side something that no developer would touch? I mean there have been movies that show it from the other perspective.

pvpness

Boo. I'm not at all interested in a WW1 shooter. I'll patiently wait for BF6 tho cause it's not like the market is drowning in slow paced shooters. At least they're trying something different I guess. Still, boo.

This gif perspective made me wonder if there's ever been a major WW2 game where you play from the perspective of the Axis? Obviously that wouldn't happen for the whole game, but most military shooters now put you in the role of various soldiers across different countries. I wouldn't expect the dev to make you sympathetic for them or anything like that. Or is just the concept of playing from the other side something that no developer would touch? I mean there have been movies that show it from the other perspective.

Well, in Day of Defeat it was Axis v. Allies, so you could play as a Nazi. Dod_Charlie was the Normandy beach map, if I was Axis I'd pick the Sniper class and pick off Allies running on the beach. Only online mp though.

if you think WWI "boring" with "little weapon variety" go listen to Dan Carlin's hardcore history Armageddon series. That war's tactics, weaponry, and advancement of war technology is so short a time has never been seen since and will hopefully never be seen again.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tactical shooter for WW1 doesn't make too much sense to me. Like... what tactics are there other than running into machine gun fire?

Its a videogame, it can be whatever type of gameplay and just happen to use some WW1 aesthetics.

We'll find out what this is soon enough at any rate.

Tactical shooter for WW1 doesn't make too much sense to me. Like... what tactics are there other than running into machine gun fire?

tactical squad trench digging, or trench digging simulator.

Oh man can you imagine a tactical shooter set in the civil war or revolutionary war period?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really hope if it is an older history setting, it's alternative history. I've played more than enough WWII games for a lifetime and weaponry before that won't translate well to my playstyle in BF.

DieH@rd

Banned
I would be fine with future setting... if that setting also had portals leading to dinousaur time and only saviours of our modern civilization is one squad made of utter badass heroes. Squad known as Bad Company. :D

I think the main issue people see is that WWI does not have enough weapon variety. I think that's where the benefit of an alternate history comes in. The battles can be lifted straight from history but i would appreciate it if weapons/vehicles/gadgets aren't solely rooted in reality.

We dont need 40+ weapons srsly...

Well, in Day of Defeat it was Axis v. Allies, so you could play as a Nazi. Dod_Charlie was the Normandy beach map, if I was Axis I'd pick the Sniper class and pick off Allies running on the beach. Only online mp though.

I'm thinking more of campaigns as it's much more of a touchy subject because of the story element. Plus it would allow similar setpieces like the Invasion of Normandy. But like I said, i'm not sure anyone would want to touch that.

DOWN

Banned
If this is WWI then EA deserves even more credit than they get for their band of sexy Frostbite studios

Someone send me a carrier pigeon when some details release. As of now we just gotta wait it out.

I dont think Ea would cannibalize Titanfall 2 with another future setting shooter.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
battlefield 1916 (or 17/18 depending on release date) would be fitting considering its the centennial.

Drencrom

I've always been a bit baffled that nearly all WWII games miss the chance to tell a story or a battle from the Germans POV. Not exactly all German soldiers were sympathizers of the Nazi regime and most soldiers were just regular men drafted into the war, a story about a soldier (or several soldiers) that have to fight for their country and a cause they don't believe in would be interesting would and also a good opportunity to show how the German army worked under the Nazi regime.

We dont need 40+ weapons srsly...

Lol say what?! Why do you think a huge number of people really enjoy BF? The huge "everything"... number of weapons, attachments, customization, vehicles, maps etc.

Take away that and loads will pass this by and end up with other AAA shooters. Esp with the bad taste BF 4's launch left in people's mouths. DICE needs something big... and WWI def aint it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol say what?! Why do you think a huge number of people really enjoy BF? The huge "everything"... number of weapons, attachments, customization, vehicles, maps etc.

Take away that and loads will pass this by and end up with other AAA shooters. Esp with the bad taste BF 4's launch left in people's mouths. DICE needs something big... and WWI def aint it.

They need something BIG, as in the same game setting they have given the last 3 iterations. So big. So many varieties!

And people only use a handful of all the weapons and gadgets in the game at any given time. Whatever the meta is, that's where most of the people are at.

With a WW I setting they could probably even make a new version of Metro:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Métro

Construction began on November 1898.[16] The first line, Porte Maillot–Porte de Vincennes, was inaugurated on 19 July 1900 during the Paris World's Fair. Entrances to stations were designed in art nouveau style by Hector Guimard. Eighty-six of his entrances are still in existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_the_Paris_Métro

787px-Metro_station_entrance_%28%C3%A9dicule_Guimard%29_Porte_Dauphine_Paris_16e_002.jpg

Paris_-_Station_Pasteur_du_Metropolitain.jpg

And while there doesn't seem to have been any big fights in Paris during WWI, they could maybe make up something like a black ops/spy mission which explains why there was a fight at this metro station. Something like a mix of Battlefield 3 and The Order 1886. A story mission in a crowded metro station could also be nice I guess, maybe as contrast to the real other battlefields of WWI.

747px-Maximilien_Luce-La_Gare_de_l'Est_sous_la_neige-1917.jpg

Top Bottom