• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

The whole idea of Battlefield is to give players a raging ego boner by doing incredible and ludicrous feats, while being in total control.

WWI is the absolute antithesis to that. In fact the crippling helplessnes and disempowerement of individual and collectives of soldiers that characterized the combat in that war, directly influenced tactics and warfare for all future wars.

I don't see how they could make this scenario any fun while not completely ignoring ng the nature of this war.

It isn't like ww2 was puppies and rainbows, but tgey still make fun fps of it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
How the hell are you going to do a Battlefield game in WWI? That seems impossible.

Its a videogame. It doesn't have to abide by realistic constraints.

Just have WWI guns and aesthetics and vehicles and you're good.

This thread is such a great barometer for historical knowledge.

Ww1 had shit vehicles, was full of camping and planes that were basically toothless.

This is not what EA is releasing for their triple A shooter in the fall.

Like I said, trench warfare is basically Rush but between two trenches and you take out all the waiting like they do in every war game ever. This could be the spiritual successor to the Rush based multiplayer of Bad Company.

marrec

Banned

Ww1 had shit vehicles, was full of camping and planes that were basically toothless.

Sounds like your knowledge is rather limited. A WWI campaign has way more variety than you're giving it credit for.

EVIL

Taking this info with a dumptruck of salt. Besides them stating that it will be a shooter set in a modern setting before, I also dont think WW1 is a fantastic setting to have a shooter in.

k4n3

Banned
You have a serious lack of imagination if you don't think a great game could be made out of that.

notice i said "if its true WW1 combat" sure you can set it in the east, open it up use end of the war weapons maybe add some tanks you know ... make it feel like WW2.... oh wait why not just make it set in WW2

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
It baffles me that people complain about modern/future settings being overused yet want the return of WW2 which was not overused at all.

This post is a great barometer for your historical knowledge which seems pretty lacking. By the end of the war it was thoroughly modern. But even throughout, the Eastern Front was extremely fluid and the Middle East was a guerilla war with urban and desert warfare.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I've been saying this for years. Although that might be going a bit too back. Still, I've never seen a AAA game attempting The Great War, so I'd like to see how much of a train wreck this becomes.

Anyway I'll continue my bickering.

wehavetogoback.gif

Red Hood

Banned
Taking this info with a dumptruck of salt. Besides them stating that it will be a shooter set in a modern setting before, I also dont think WW1 is a fantastic setting to have a shooter in.

Mind stating a source? All I can find regarding BF5 is that it's going to be military again, which can mean a variety of things regardless of time.

McHuj

The problem, imo, is that both guns and vehicles of WW1 suck.

BF with mainly DMR's and biplanes would suck.

marrec

Banned
It really doesn't and especially not for today's crowd

The way the combat evolved over the years of the war gives you multiple styles to choose from. You basically went from late 19th century warfare, through trench warfare, and into 20th century WW2 style warfare in the span of 4 years and thats JUST on the Western Front.

Again, WWI isn't just about Trenches.

k4n3

Banned
I'm guessing alternate reality in World War I. Kind of like The Order: 1886.

battlefield has always tried to be more grounded in reality, but a steam punk sci-fi alt universe would be a nice change it might go over like a lead balloon.... or should i say zeppelin lol but how could would titan mode be when you have to board the other teams zeppelin and blow it up, give me rocketeer jetpacks and tesla guns lol

Metfanant

WW1? We just had a thread about it in the OT. A couple of days ago was 100th anniversary of Verdun. Fucking insanity.

How would a WW1 shooter have the Battlefield momentum and pacing? The slow firing weaponry, would change everything. Would melee be a stronger focus? If you missed your shot it takes forever to reload. I would imagine that sprinting, and trying to dodge bullets and go for a melee kill would be more realistic and pausible than in an age of semi-automatic weapons that fire many rounds in seconds.

Would that mean that a WW1 shooter would be a camper fest? The war was known for trench warfare. A war of attrition of starving and getting poisoned in mustard gas.

Well remember...this is WWI not the American Revolution...so we are still dealing with mostly bolt action rifles, not muskets..so while reload would be a little longer, its not like we're talking minutes between single shots...

multiplayer would probably turn into a sprint/melee fest, but if youre talking realism, than machine guns would dominate...you would camp and just mow people down...

No automatic weapons (aside stationary) in a AAA-shooter? No way, people don't want to play this. Plus the setting is not mainstream enough, WW2 would be okay, but not not WW1.

I doubt this.

guns like the BAR were automatic and not stationary...granted youre not sprinting around with it, but its far from completely stationary

thejpfin

Very skeptical about this. EA has previously stated that the 2016 BF title will be in modern setting.

Replace "modern" with "military". EA hasn't said a thing about BF5 setting, one DICE dev on twitter said next battlefield has a military setting.
So: WW1/2, modern, future etc...

WW1 would be cool. I'm really sick of modern and near future shooters.
If the next BF is a future shooter like CoD, how about cyberpunk setting? Like deus ex, blade runner, cyberpunk 2077. Thats the only future setting I'm interested.

Momentary

Banned
I remember when it was nothing but World War based games. Now it has come full cirlce. Now I have to wait another 4-5 years to get out of this fashion trend again.

guns like the BAR were automatic and not stationary...granted youre not sprinting around with it, but its far from completely stationary

BAR was invented in 1917 and introduced in september 1918 on the western front. War ended in november on the western front. It was not a factor. You could bring all kinds of experimental and rare weapons into the game, but we can agree that this kind of weaponry was not part of the usual warfare of WW1 and if you want to make it at least a bit authentic (which DICE usually does), the player will run around using a bolt action.

BAR as battlepick. There, I called it first guys ;)

The problem, imo, is that both guns and vehicles of WW1 suck.

BF with mainly DMR's and biplanes would suck.

It had plenty of weapons besides bolt-action rifles. There were the first submachine guns and combat shotguns, which is why they were called trench guns. They don't just put the standard issue weapons in these games, you can put in all the weird prototypes and barely used weapons as well. For vehicles you are forgetting horses. Even WWII wasn't as mechanized as portrayed and horses played a large part in transportation. Germany used over 2 million horses throughout WWII.

Damn I feel like I'm going blue in the face right now. Use your imagination folks, they don't stick too closely to reality in modern settings so why would they for WWI? It's a cool, pretty unexplored setting in gaming.

It had plenty of weapons besides bolt-action rifles. There were the first submachine guns and combat shotguns, which is why they were called trench guns. They don't just put the standard issue weapons in these games, you can put in all the weird prototypes and barely used weapons as well. For vehicles you are forgetting horses. Even WWII wasn't as mechanized as portrayed and horses played a large part in transportation. Germany used over 2 million horses throughout WWII.

Damn I feel like I'm going blue in the face right now. Use your imagination folks, they don't stick too closely to reality in modern settings so why would they for WWI? It's a cool, pretty unexplored setting in gaming.

Exactly.

A lot of answers seem to be missing that the fields of Flanders were not the only battlefield in WW1 and even then they featured cavalry and rapid movement at one time or another. That's before we get to the African campaign, Dardanelles, Balkans, Middle East and the Eastern Front.

I really hope this is true, it will eliminate lock on weapons thus putting ground and air on level pegging (A2A will be more fun too). Yeah if this is true colour me psyched

Edit Also what PeskyToaster said, there is a world of variety outside of the stereotypes of WW1

Marvel

could never
I fucking hate modern/future. Hope this is true.
Like the 2nd or third dude to quote me, you're not cute or clever lol. It's just how I feel about the genre yeesh... can't stand the time period for shooters.

Not a competition.

If you guys like it, that's great whatever. For me personally this would blow.

Walpurgis

Banned
Holy shit! HOLY SHIT!

EXACTLY! They already have trench warfare in Battlefront too. I was hoping for next gen WWII. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect this. I am so happy right now. I can't wait to ride horses.

Fishook

I doubt it's true, I prefer the historical FPS's, But since they like the RPG elements of unlocking stuff, it just won't work it's bad enough with WW2. It wont attract the fan base who want faster based FPS rather than the realistic element,

I wonder if we will hear something about the game this month. The last Hardline DLC releases next tuesday.

I really wanna know whats happening next with Battlefield :D

McHuj

For vehicles you are forgetting horses. Even WWII wasn't as mechanized as portrayed and horses played a large part in transportation. Germany used over 2 million horses throughout WWII.

No, I wasn't. I included them under the umbrella of the vehicles that suck.

horse, horse that's what we're missing in Battlefield...

BAR was invented in 1917 and introduced in september 1918 on the western front. War ended in november on the western front. It was not a factor. You could bring all kinds of experimental and rare weapons into the game, but we can agree that this kind of weaponry was not part of the usual warfare of WW1 and if you want to make it at least a bit authentic (which DICE usually does), the player will run around using a bolt action.

BAR as battlepick. There, I called it first guys ;)

Not really. DICE made a Secret Weapons of WW2 expansion for Battlefield 1942. An entire expansion of rare, experimental weaponry. Even had jets that took off on a tube thing. They had plenty of experimental weapons in the modern games that barely saw use in real life. Even the M1911 is in BF4. I wonder when that was invented.

No, I wasn't. I included them under the umbrella of the vehicles that suck.

horse, horse that's what we're missing in Battlefield...

Horses would replace the jeeps from a gameplay perspective. You also have tanks, airplanes, zeppelins, subs, all sorts of ships. Some of this stuff wasn't used much or effective but like I said, that's never stopped game designers before.

Top Bottom