• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

Ha, what?

400px-MP18.JPG

DSC09154.JPG

T-gewehr%20right-1a.jpg

b6b46accd3ecef5843b13fe19ef8eb3f.jpg

Mark_IV.jpg

Warspite%20Bat%205b.jpg

2d6e29d6ec3e21728575028064a8144c.jpg

4qxTt.jpg

Holy shit.

Anyone got more? Let's get this thread filled with stuff like this.

Nere

WW1 was probably the most boring war ever. That is the reason people don't know it that well compared to WW2. I wonder how they will make it work by not making it look extremely unrealistic.

majik13

Let the cycle continue. While something 'new' or different is cool. I am a little hesitant in that it will be limited in what will be available to the player to do.

^Well some of that stuff could be pretty cool. I am very tired of the current BF bloat of 3+4.

WW1 was probably the most boring war ever. That is the reason people don't know it that well compared to WW2. I wonder how they will make it work by not making it look extremely unrealistic.

I don't know about boring. trench warfare was up close and personal because enemy soldiers could just jump into your trench out of nowhere, soldiers used hollow point rounds, and mustard gas was dropped regularly. There were also all kinds of things they did to prisoners that were outlawed by the Geneva Convention after the war.

Steejee

Not sure how you would, but getting the battle of Jutland in there would be pretty wild on a modern engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland

While the Western front was mostly trench, other places in the war were far less so. You'd just want to not focus as much on western-europe in the map/side selection.

Even then you could do interesting Trench maps, they'd just not be 'sit there and wait to go over the top'. Stuff like tunneling and artillery would have to be baked in.

Battlefront plays more like a WWII game than a future game I've just realized.

Lucas modeled Star Wars combat after WW2 (hence the dogfights and such), though close range large ship combat was not common in WW2, so that's probably the intent.

I've been listening to the Blueprint for Armageddon podcasts (Hardcore History) lately and I was thinking about how a game set in that period could work.

A lot more to it than just trench warfare.

marrec

Banned
Not sure how you would, but getting the battle of Jutland in there would be pretty wild on a modern engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jutland

While the Western front was mostly trench, other places in the war were far less so. You'd just want to not focus as much on western-europe in the map/side selection.

Even then you could do interesting Trench maps, they'd just not be 'sit there and wait to go over the top'. Stuff like tunneling and artillery would have to be baked in.

Having something akin to the Battle of Jutland would be great.

Also, for the Western Front, you could include the Battle of the Marne and the race to the sea, both were large scale mobile battles that happened before any trenches were dug.

Weird, why is it a reversed Nazi one?

Not even the Buddist one or whatever
Its from an American volunteer flying unit in the French military during WWI, the Lafayette Escadrille. They used an American Indian and their symbols (of which that kind of swastika was common among American Indians before the rise of Hitler) as their insignias.

There's no way, WWI doesn't have a diverse enough amount of arsenal to justify a main title game. Bolt actions and biplanes seems more of a spinoff type of Battlefield.

Memory

Finally, an excuse for an abbreviated campaign mode, as the player is sent over the top on mission 3 and the game ends abruptly.

LMAO, for some reason i found this fucking hilarious.

I studied WW1 quite alot so i'm interested to see what they focus on, a focus on air combat is a surety. I cant think of many battles/skirmishes that would make sense with Battlefields current set up. Hopefully they change the gameplay to suit the War and not the other way around.

Whatever they do i hope its tasteful and respectful to all those who lost their lives in this pointless war.

zma1013

There's no way, WWI doesn't have a diverse enough amount of arsenal to justify a main title game. Bolt actions and biplanes seems more of a spinoff type of Battlefield.

They've found out that a large part of their user base now just plays 64 player metro for xp, medals, and kdr. They don't need vehicles or diversity now. Enclosed trench clusterf%$@s sounds right up their alley.

Please let this be true. I know people always say 'ww1 would be boring and can't be done' but I think dice has been planning this for years and they will knock it out of the park

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hmm not exactly sure I would consider fighting in a trench war fun. Will there be a "stick head out for a look button"?

But a poison gas filled battlefield would be a sight to see graphically.

Dabanton

As nice as this would be a whole game like this? Wide open spaces, some trenches and not much varied choice of weapons.

I could see this working as maybe a retro themed level or map but a whole game? Naw can't see it.

People saying WW1 is "boring" (which is an absolutely moronic opinion regardless) or a bad setting for a Battlefield game obviously haven't seen the pretty awesome team based WW1 fps Verdun. It's already a great WW1 shooter

Alpende

I can dig it. WW1 games are a rarity so having a BF WW1 game could be cool if they pull it off. Don't know if the trench fighting stays 'fun' though.

Everyone seems stuck on the setting.

But WTF at "tactical"? That implies an entirely different gameplay premise associated with a different type of shooter.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
You know, I was against this but at least it's not WW2 and Nazi's and "Let's Kill Hitler!". If done properly this actually could be a really fun game. I'll keep up to date with it but most likely I'll just stick to Battlefield 4.

Top Bottom