• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
Probably. it's 6:38 pacific right now. I might be on at 9-10 pm. Yesterday I was about to log on at that time but I was watching a movie. My friend is playing right now that's why I logged off.

Sounds good. I will be on late tonight and tomorrow since I'm off of work.

Pkm said:
I posted before about playing with people on the PS3, but never got a chance cause my RL buddies are quick to invite as soon as I hop on. I'm kinda done playing with them tho, they kinda "stink".
So if anyone wants to friend me, send PKM a request.

I only play conquest or SDM, not sniper-core..I mean hardcore whoops.
Rush is garbage imo, no matter how much work the D does the Mcom just gets destroyed with no planting. Total waste of time and not worth "trying"

Also I was thinking why didn't Dice ever do Karkand, Mashtuur, Sharqi, Jalalabad for the BFBC series?? It's perfect!
Urban warfare, same types of vehicles available now, destruction 2.0 adds new flavor to the already amazing maps!
I'd pay $25 for these, or even more! Make it an expansion "BFBC2: BF2 Urban Classic Pack"
You could even import all the classic SF maps (Warlord!)
Hell they could redo Armed Forces maps, Euro Assualt etc.. There sitting on a goldmine of maps we prob pay for in a heartbeat. The maps are designed already, tested to be fun, why dont they just do a quick overhaul and make a ton of bank????

I'll gladly play Conquest with ya. I either play Conquest or Rush regularly. I ONLY play Rush if there are Gaffer's or other friends online, but I regularly play Conquest when I'm alone since a crappy team can still win in Conquest. In Rush, if your team sucks, you WILL lose lol.

And I totally agree about the map pack idea. Karkand was my favorite urban map in BF2. I would just die if I could play that map in BC2 lol. The others you listed are great too, and I'd love to play them again.

Completely new to the multiplayer side of this series, only played a handful of games in conquest mode on the 360 so far, and I'm already getting tired of the hardcore "snipers" who refuse to situationally change kit for anything and have no clue on how to play the Recon kit in the first place.
I mean, on one map, we were getting base raped because the other team pushed us back to our spawn and had a tank hovering at the entrance with the rest of their team swarming the hill just a few clicks behind. How many Engineers did we have shooting RPGs at the thing in an effort to get rid of it in a full team? Me, after getting killed twice while using my default Recon (which I use for spotting, sensor balls, and other Recon-like tasks until I get more familiar with the layouts of the maps). The rest of the team was busy getting cut to shreds as recons on the sides of the hills on either side of the tank by the tank machine gunner and rest of the opposing team, not a one of them deploying their sensor ball so to spot the enemies on the hill or attempting to plant C4 on the tank. Idiots.
I've rarely had to change kits, but I've successfully made use of the Medics Defibrillators (amusingly enough, to revive the Medic himself, after wasting the Assault who killed him with my sidearm :D) and I've used the Engineer kit a couple of times before (love using the rockets to spot and if need be counter-snipe, and I blew a helicopter out of the air with a couple of RPGs in my third game ever). Really gets to me that people don't seem to know how to use the kit loadouts better.

Oh, if 360-GAF is willing to take on a rank 1 BC2 noob, my GT: VladSteelwolf

Shnookums

Lonewolf_92 said:
Completely new to the multiplayer side of this series, only played a handful of games in conquest mode on the 360 so far, and I'm already getting tired of the hardcore "snipers" who refuse to situationally change kit for anything and have no clue on how to play the Recon kit in the first place.
I mean, on one map, we were getting base raped because the other team pushed us back to our spawn and had a tank hovering at the entrance with the rest of their team swarming the hill just a few clicks behind. How many Engineers did we have shooting RPGs at the thing in an effort to get rid of it in a full team? Me, after getting killed twice while using my default Recon (which I use for spotting, sensor balls, and other Recon-like tasks until I get more familiar with the layouts of the maps). The rest of the team was busy getting cut to shreds as recons on the sides of the hills on either side of the tank by the tank machine gunner and rest of the opposing team, not a one of them deploying their sensor ball so to spot the enemies on the hill or attempting to plant C4 on the tank. Idiots.
I've rarely had to change kits, but I've successfully made use of the Medics Defibrillators (amusingly enough, to revive the Medic himself, after wasting the Assault who killed him with my sidearm :D) and I've used the Engineer kit a couple of times before (love using the rockets to spot and if need be counter-snipe, and I blew a helicopter out of the air with a couple of RPGs in my third game ever). Really gets to me that people don't seem to know how to use the kit loadouts better.

Oh, if 360-GAF is willing to take on a rank 1 BC2 noob, my GT: VladSteelwolf

Recon can do a good job taking out tanks with mortars. But, like you say a lot of the times that class attracts some less tactically astute folks for whatever reason.

Loxley

WEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

The consoles have had Battlefield: Bad Company 2’s Onslaught paid DLC for a while now, but DICE have just confirmed to PC Gamer that it’s coming to PC.

They’ve reworked four multiplayer maps to fit co-op play – Valparaiso, Atacama Desert, Isla Inocentes, and Nelson Bay – and each one will focus on different aspects of the game, like vehicle combat or infantry assault.

“We’re thrilled to bring something new and fresh to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 while still keeping Battlefield’s signature gameplay intact,” says DICE senior producer Patrick Bach. “We want to
consistently support the over 4 million fans playing the game with new ways to get into multiplayer and also challenge the elite players with new experiences to improve their performance online. Effective squad play is the key to success in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 multiplayer and this new mode will provide players with a dedicated environment to test their team skills and rank against the competition.”

Also from Giant Bomb:

PC Gamer doesn't have any information on how DICE is handling its server woes, but it's probably safe to assume that the studio has figured out a way to get around them considering Onslaught is finally coming out and all. Speaking of that, no word on price or release date. We've contacted EA to say "hey, what's up" and ask about these details.

Shnookums said:
Recon can do a good job taking out tanks with mortars. But, like you say a lot of the times that class attracts some less tactically astute folks for whatever reason.

These guys were too close for mortars, unless they wanted to call them down on their own heads (if I had them unlocked I would've). They could've planted C4 on the thing if they had wanted, they were so close. No, they were trying to have a snipe battle with the guys on the hill, never mind the tank ripping everyone to shreds. :lol

Shnookums said:

Simple reason,
Sniper = Cool

Plain and simple, every game suffers from worthless snipers cause a large majority of people see them as the cool class. Sadly people don't relize its kinda worthless.
Maybe if death was perma, sure, but in the grand scheme of things Recon+sniper rifle is more of an annoyance then a game changer. Gimme a Recon guy laying down motion mine packing an AR/Shotty then a guy picking off randoms hoping a noob tank driver gets caught in a mortar strike.

Wanna fix sniper imbalance, and general class imbalance.

Recon and Medic = 25% health reduction (BF2 light armor type fix)
You want motion mines, long range capabilities, high dmg, MCOM killing C4....you suffer by being highly fragile.
Medical too, your support..yet you have 100 round murder machines and self heals...well now your squishy :p

In my perfect FPS world, Medics would pack SMG's, Assualt LMG's, Engineers AR's, Sniper reduced health with stronger Rifles.
Medics would be actual medics, Engys would be played more, and Recons noobers would give it up early when handguns put them down in a blink. And to top it off Assualt would have the gun that didn't need ammo as much, as it stands medics laugh at you when you toss them a box.

Spl1nter

Pkm said:
In my perfect FPS world, Medics would pack SMG's, Assualt LMG's, Engineers AR's, Sniper reduced health with stronger Rifles.
Medics would be actual medics, Engys would be played more, and Recons noobers would give it up early when handguns put them down in a blink. And to top it off Assualt would have the gun that didn't need ammo as much, as it stands medics laugh at you when you toss them a box.

WTF. Engi SMGs are already so strong if not a bit overpowered. That class would be so OP. Anti-Everything.

Az

I was just talking to Wes today and he made a great point in improving the Rush mode. It is pretty simple actually. RANDOM M-COM PLACEMENTS. badum tshhh

Thinking about it, I love the idea.

Spl1nter

TheAzRim said:
I was just talking to Wes today and he made a great point in improving the Rush mode. It is pretty simple actually. RANDOM M-COM PLACEMENTS. badum tshhh

Thinking about it, I love the idea.

I dont think that would work. Would make some mcom sets easier and some harder.

The only solution is better map design. The maps in BC2 feature fewer routes and more choke points then BC1. That the reason its so hard to attack sometimes. Just look at the at points on valdez, isla innocentes and valpariso. The second mcom on Valdez is just ridiculous. Thank god they are in destructible buildings.

olimpia84

I noticed you get put into nearly empty rooms more often nowadays...really annoying. Either that or people quit after just one game...

Spl1nter said:
WTF. Engi SMGs are already so strong if not a bit overpowered. That class would be so OP. Anti-Everything.

I agree, along I guess changes to weapons stats would be in order.
It's a fine line to balance kits with weapons, DICE never got this right with BF2 so bad every server was Medics with god find and insta heals or support guys laying on resupply bags and throwing a nonstop barrage of nades.

Nothing was worse tho then watching a group of BF2 medics litter there feet with health packs so every shot you hit them with would be voided. All this while having the same weapon as the assualt class or the god gun G36E...

reKon

Banned
I've just started really getting into this after buying this all the way in march :lol

The problem was school got in the way, but now I've had a ton of free time only having to do my internship. I've beaten a ton of games I've had (I never finish games): GTA IV (first gta game i've pushed myself to finish, modnation racers, ffxii, infamous (I hadn't played in 7 months and I had only two missions left, LOL).

Now I'm finally back on FPS's and I feel guilty for not playing Killzone 2 enough online (too many disconnects so my stats won't update, but it's still a great game!).

I was originally going to ask if there anything that has significantly changed since the beta of BC2, but I see the first page has taken care of that. Spotting doesn't work like it use to (obviously).

I've been working on the assault class for now. Is there any very important skills or tips to know about assault, medic, or engineers that wasn't listed on the official topic post? Thanks.

Wthermans

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
you got autokicked after (iirc) 5 team kills.

everything was different because you had to watch where you were driving, especially if someone was repairing, you couldn't just spam an objective with explosives when it was armed, breaching houses etc was all different because there was more room for error.
Seems extremely open to griefing. Would be so easy to simply stand in front of friendly fire to get someone you hated autokicked. I know I did it to douchebags a few times in BF2. :eek:

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
reKon said:
've been working on the assault class for now. Is there any very important skills or tips to know about assault, medic, or engineers that wasn't listed on the official topic post? Thanks.

Assault/Medic: If in doubt, throw it out. You get free points within minutes even if no one needed the ammo/health a minute before.

Medic: Revive ANYONE if possible and safety and quickly esp. on attackers in rush where you refund a ticket. It may destroy a KDR of a person, but fuck it. You need the tickets to keep the game going.

Engineer: Tanks/Helicopters. Tracer and big boom. Repair tanks that are hit by rockets that are yours.

Pretty much common sense stuff.

Wthermans

Banned
Pkm said:
I posted before about playing with people on the PS3, but never got a chance cause my RL buddies are quick to invite as soon as I hop on. I'm kinda done playing with them tho, they kinda "stink".
So if anyone wants to friend me, send PKM a request.

I only play conquest or SDM, not sniper-core..I mean hardcore whoops.
Rush is garbage imo, no matter how much work the D does the Mcom just gets destroyed with no planting. Total waste of time and not worth "trying"

Also I was thinking why didn't Dice ever do Karkand, Mashtuur, Sharqi, Jalalabad for the BFBC series?? It's perfect!
Urban warfare, same types of vehicles available now, destruction 2.0 adds new flavor to the already amazing maps!
I'd pay $25 for these, or even more! Make it an expansion "BFBC2: BF2 Urban Classic Pack"
You could even import all the classic SF maps (Warlord!)
Hell they could redo Armed Forces maps, Euro Assualt etc.. There sitting on a goldmine of maps we prob pay for in a heartbeat. The maps are designed already, tested to be fun, why dont they just do a quick overhaul and make a ton of bank????

The problem is all of those maps are built on the old Frostbite engine. Even the BC1 maps are on an outdated version of Frostbite. While they can use the same map layouts (albeit I'm sure there will be balance issues since the indestructable buildings of previous games set specific routes of attack), reconstructing those assets with upgraded textures, models, AND making sure they far FB2.0 compliant means a ton of work for the devs with little reward (especially since people already give IW a ton of shit for giving us MW1 maps in the MW2 map packs). Making assets in current gen games requires too much work (which equals money) to be free anymore. :(

Wthermans

Banned
Kibbles said:
Free or... what?
Even if it's pay, I'll buy it. But if they do charge for it, I don't see it being very successful on PC. The delay on the DLC, the delay on the most recent patch, and absolutely no free maps in the future equal a very disillusioned userbase. It's rough for me to even get 1/20th of the guys I used to play with to even load up the game. :(

Wthermans said:
Seems extremely open to griefing. Would be so easy to simply stand in front of friendly fire to get someone you hated autokicked. I know I did it to douchebags a few times in BF2. :eek:
well, friendly bullets did half damage in BC1 and they even patched the knife to be 2 swings on friendlies to kill, so it wasn't quite so easy to trick someone... this also helped with people who blew up their own team's crates, since you could stand on the crate and they'd kill you and eventually had to stop or get kicked.

ENEMY AC130 ABOVE!

100891577-4.jpg

I love Atacama Rush when you've got good teamwork taking out the AA, dropping off paratroopers, etc. :lol

Damn, Faceless owned me yesterday, I see him going for the TOW in Port Valdez and I was thinking:"Yeah, while he shoots the tank I'll get his dogtag! HHAHAHA *evil laugh*" and when I was going confident of my sucesss I see the tow aiming for me instead of the tank I was like "oh shit".

Bastard! :lol

Relaxed Muscle said:
Damn, Faceless owned me yesterday, I see him going for the TOW in Port Valdez and I was thinking:"Yeah, while he shoots the tank I'll get his dogtag! HHAHAHA *evil laugh*" and when I was going confident of my sucesss I see the tow aiming for me instead of the tank I was like "oh shit".

Bastard! :lol
ever since i got gold tags, the wolves on the battlefield have smelled the blood in the water. people running from 30 yards, knife already swinging.

Wthermans

Banned
Pkm said:
Simple reason,
Sniper = Cool

Plain and simple, every game suffers from worthless snipers cause a large majority of people see them as the cool class. Sadly people don't relize its kinda worthless.
Maybe if death was perma, sure, but in the grand scheme of things Recon+sniper rifle is more of an annoyance then a game changer. Gimme a Recon guy laying down motion mine packing an AR/Shotty then a guy picking off randoms hoping a noob tank driver gets caught in a mortar strike.

You want motion mines, long range capabilities, high dmg, MCOM killing C4....you suffer by being highly fragile.
Medical too, your support..yet you have 100 round murder machines and self heals...well now your squishy :p

Given the accuracy and DPS of ARs in this game, Assault can do everything you listed better than Recon (aside from Motion Mines---but Assault can renew as much C4 as they want). Until Snipers get the old max range dmg values, the "long range" aspect of the class if null due to the accuracy and DPS of all the other weapons.

Wthermans said:
Given the accuracy and DPS of ARs in this game, Assault can do everything you listed better than Recon (aside from Motion Mines---but Assault can renew as much C4 as they want). Until Snipers get the old max range dmg values, the "long range" aspect of the class if null due to the accuracy and DPS of all the other weapons.
you can't use C4 and the AR's at the same time though, and the G3 and M14 are basically clones of the VSS and T88 without scopes. i dunno why i'm even making this argument when i play C4 Assault so much more than C4 Recon...:lol :lol :lol

Wthermans

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
you can't use C4 and the AR's at the same time though, and the G3 and M14 are basically clones of the VSS and T88 without scopes. i dunno why i'm even making this argument when i play C4 Assault so much more than C4 Recon...:lol :lol :lol
At least with the G3 as Assault you can renew your ammo. VSS is a PITA to use given how it eats through bullets with it's low damage values.

Wthermans said:
At least with the G3 as Assault you can renew your ammo. VSS is a PITA to use given how it eats through bullets with it's low damage values.

If you're gonna blow yourself at the end, VSS has enough ammo for that. :lol

Cornbread78

Crakatak187 said:
I like Rush but I agree it's freaking off balanced as fuck.

I still play is alot though. I check my stats and it's pretty ridiculas

3.6 W/L ratio as attacker
0.60 W/L as a defender

Needs more balance... Big time. DICE, please give us a crate repair option for the engies.

Cornbread78 said:

4.5 W/L ratio as attacker
0.60 W/L as a defender

Needs more balance... Big time. DICE, please give us a crate repair option for the engies.

I'm the complete opposite.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Cornbread78 said:

0.60 W/L as a defender

This includes every loss on conquest (and I assume DM, SDM etc) as a defender loss and every win on conquest as an attacker win unless you know somewhere that gives the actual stat breakdown for each mode. I wish we have the official breakdown because I am pretty sure that defenders have a clear advantage, hence DICE significantly upping the points for capturing and destroying MCOM's.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
wouldn't it be easier to balance Rush by just disabling certain types of damage to the crates like c4 and mines? Or hell just make it so you can' t hurt them period must only detonate?(that might be going to far)

but ya my stats for Rush are a clone
attackers X6.6
defenders .5

Shrug.. I still prefer Conquest. Just wish the maps had more 4 flag bigger maps like panama

Pkm said:
Simple reason,
Sniper = Cool

No, just no. I find solace in the fact you do not design games. Or work for dice. I not saying BC2 in it's current state is perfect but...your solution sucks. Altering health stats? No. No. And people don't opt for snipers because they are cool, it's because they are.."safe", (potentially) killing people from a distance without being seen or receiving fire. LMGs need a slight debuff? In weapon accuracy if anything in relation to stance (greater accuracy while crouching; less while moving and standing, maybe?)

I figure if a recon is carrying a sniper rifle (G3, M14, etc.) they are on the frontlines, contributing. With a sniper rifle as a primary, they are already at a disadvantage, unless they are able to hold their own with a pistol and handle Close encounters with multiple foes.

My gripe is the simple fact that MOST people just simply play their role. Why would you want to punish those who do? Changes need to be made for sure, your list sucks. Yeah I said it.

poppabk

bloodydrake said:
wouldn't it be easier to balance Rush by just disabling certain types of damage to the crates like c4 and mines? Or hell just make it so you can' t hurt them period must only detonate?(that might be going to far)

attackers X6.6
defenders .5

Shrug.. I still prefer Conquest. Just wish the maps had more 4 flag bigger maps like panama
If you play conquest then every defeat is counted as a defender loss and every win is an attacker win, so the stats are completely screwed. I play 95% rush, only playing conquest when I end up on a mixed mode server, and I have a W/L ratio of 2.x for defending.

poppabk

Assembly Required said:
I figure if a recon is carrying a sniper rifle (G3, M14, etc.) they are on the frontlines, contributing. With a sniper rifle as a primary, they are already at a disadvantage, unless they are able to hold their own with a pistol and handle Close encounters with multiple foes.
I don't really have a problem with people playing sniper, its actually an important role, I think the sheer number of people who choose to play as sniper is the main issue, along with their tendency to stay in positions that allow them to get 'safe' kills but which don't aid the capturing of objectives beyond removing a non-essential defender for 5 to 10 seconds. The fact that they are up on a hill, miles away tends to draw attention to their ineffectiveness though, there are plenty of people in other classes being ineffective but its just not as obvious.

bloodydrake said:

attackers X6.6
defenders .5

They did that in BC1, with AT mines and C4 on vehicles but left it out for BC2. I would be happy being able to repair the crate.

I don't have much of an issue with C4 because you can hoot the C4 dude and the charges are useless. The tank mines are my main gripe because the is NOTHING that can be done defend your crate once they are down.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Cornbread78 said:

0.60 W/L as a defender

Mine

Attacker 3.52
Defender 1.52

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
poppabk said:
If you play conquest then every defeat is counted as a defender loss and every win is an attacker win, so the stats are completely screwed. I play 95% rush, only playing conquest when I end up on a mixed mode server, and I have a W/L ratio of 2.x for defending.

Ah didn't realize that ..that makes more sense

tho i still think defending in Rush right now is way to hard due to how everything can damage the crates.

bloodydrake said:

tho i still think defending in Rush right now is way to hard due to how everything can damage the crates.

I actually like the fact there are multiple ways of destroying crates. For me, it's the placement of the crates.

poppabk

bloodydrake said:

Defending a given set of crates can be hard, some will fall eventually no matter what the defending team does, if the attackers go all out to destroy them. But to win rush as an attacker you have to get through every set of crates. As defender you just have to hold them one time.

poppabk said:
I don't really have a problem with people playing sniper, its actually an important role, I think the sheer number of people who choose to play as sniper is the main issue, along with their tendency to stay in positions that allow them to get 'safe' kills but which don't aid the capturing of objectives beyond removing a non-essential defender for 5 to 10 seconds. The fact that they are up on a hill, miles away tends to draw attention to their ineffectiveness though, there are plenty of people in other classes being ineffective but its just not as obvious.

exactly, I honestly don't have any issues with recon/snipers. It's like just more obvious, as you stated. They aren't the only class used ineffectively.

jayb

Mr. Snrub said:
So wait, why did the BC2 thread get split up but the MW2 one is still going strong?

The BC2 thread requires a more tactical approach to its organization.

i don't know. I've got nothing.

Mr. Snrub said:
So wait, why did the BC2 thread get split up but the MW2 one is still going strong?

Don't understand, they have been cutting down various threads that were too big, but some remain. Perhaps they selectively just randomly chose some or perhaps some kind of corruption of the data on some

Binabik15

FINALLY!

I more or less randomly placed c4 in the first house on Nelson Bay, simply hoping to kill a few defenders around it. The last c4 was outside, running after a medic to use it like a grenade. Booom. Kill, kill, kill, objective damage, kill, damage, damage, etc, multikill, m-com destroyed, *ding* trophy: 20 destruction 2.0 kills. Total points after everything was added up: 730. I got maybe 300, looks like I wiped out a squad of my own guys as well, uuuups. Anyway, this felt so good after frustrating 90 minutes trying to get the 11 c4 kills I needed for the insignia. For that I had to kill yet another guy, but now I can stop c4ing m-coms, I swear!

One thing is bugging me though, I killed more than a dozen guys with the CG, almost two dozens and on the stat page it showed just TWO more than yesterday. Same with the revolver, it´s missing maybe ten kills (especially frustrating, because that´d have given me a gold star). AT mines might be affected as well. I got the gold star for the Scar-L and XMC yesterday and had to do them again today (thankfully it was like ten kills each).

WTF is going on?

PS: the destruction 2.0 means I only have to knife four friendsto get the first platinum on this account. Anybody willing to let me stab him? I don´t like to stat boost, but nobody on my friends list is still playing, at least at times I´m on.

I have time for this tomorrow afternoon (Yurop time) or right now and I´d be willing to get stabbed as well. Or stand in collapsing buildings or whatever. PM me if interested.

UFRA

Mr. Snrub said:

There's actually a lot of threads, not just the MW2 one, which have a greater size than the old BC2 thread.

Top Bottom