• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Hardline |OT| Battlefield FIVE-O

Oh and Reckless Onion, if we're playing blood money and raiding the enemy vault and you see me not taking any money, I'm most likely watching your back.
Did that last night as I realised there wasn't too much money in there and you guys were with enough to grab everything. So instead of grabbing some as well and possible getting ambushed, I think I'll play some human shield from time to time just like in BC2 back in the day. ;)
I'm getting killed very often anyway since I play overly aggressive most of the time, so another one certainly won't hurt.

No worries m8, I knew what u where doing, that's just smart play.

Gonna buy this game on Sunday when its 39.99(31.99 with gamers club) at Best Buy..worth buying? Never played Battlefield before so Im starting from scratch..is there much difference between the x1 version and ps4 version

meppi

No worries m8, I knew what u where doing, that's just smart play.

Must have surprised you to see a bit of tactical play from me for a change. ;)

Just got Bloodborne in this morning, yet as I just got home from work, I really want to play some more Hardline.
The game sure has got it's hooks deep into me. :D

Ramirez

I really hate how bad they nerfed the M16A, I mean it was too good in the beta, but damn, the insane recoil is just stupid compared to most of the other guns. I was running M16A+ACOG in the beta, and loved it, but I just get fuckin smoked trying to run it now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The fact that there is no Kinect support means that they are utilizing the 10% of the GPU freed after that one SDK update. I was watching Giant Bomb and they mentioned that Hardline still used Kinect, and I was surprised, as that would mean they had just dropped assets in BF4 and called it a day.

Well the single player is quite different from BF4 i wouldnt say they just copied and pasted assets into the engine.
The MP and SP obviously have some shared assets but thats just efficient use of time and resources.

The kinect being off does mean they have that extra 10% but it might used just for overhead, like the engine still runs at BF4 level, but if shit gets too crazy that extra 10% comes into use.....cuz from what ive played so far the game isnt that much of an upgrade graphically or hectically over BF4....maybe they just didnt need the Kinect and switched it off.

Game modes
Im loving Blood Money and Heist more and more as I play.
Heist feels like an evolution of Rush, and Blood Money is like super capture the flag mode....all modes i loved playing and now these new version are the shit!

I still sneak back into Hotwire when I need money, I wonder if they will address how easy it is to make money in Hotwire....i mean its good that they reward you for playing the objective, but....they really really really reward you for playing the objective.

Conquest and especially conquest large are my least played modes, funny for a battlefield game, but honestly these maps just arent built for Conquest and are way way too small for Conquest Large.

Hi guys,

A lot of people have been providing feedback on the gameplay balance, and we've been looking at the data and feedback (as we always do). Here's a quick list of changes we're considering for the next update. I do not have an ETA for you on this update yet, but once we know we'll provide dates.

- K10: Reduce bullet damage to 33
- Saiga and PTR: reduce recoil to bring more in line with Cop faction DMRs
- HCAR and HK51: reduce recoil to bring more in line with SCAR-H and SA-58
- .410 Jury: Increase damage per pellet to become more effective
- FMG-9 and M/45: Increase damage per round to 25 and push out falloff start range to make these weapons more effective
- Battlerifle min damage increased to 25 across the board
- AKM min damage reduced to 24

Nerf AKM, yet they don't touch the M16A3 or M416.

smoothj

My friend and I are looking to play a battlefield game together again. We used to play 1942 on PC. I played BC2 and loved that.

Should we get this or BF4 on PS4?

I'm leaning towards BF4 because of the price but worries about being low level with all the higher lvl people owning us.

Tabby

My friend and I are looking to play a battlefield game together again. We used to play 1942 on PC. I played BC2 and loved that.

I'm leaning towards BF4 because of the price but worries about being low level with all the higher lvl people owning us.
I played the hell out of BC2 and I much prefer Hardline.
I like the fact that I can walk around the battlefield and not have to force myself to play Engineer in case a random attach helicopter or tank shows up.
All depends on what you want and your taste though.

Sojgat

I couldn't recommend BF4 to anyone.

If you do go that way though, you are getting a lot of bad game for your money.

Honestly, I'm starting to think I like Hardline more than BC2 as well, and that would have seemed insane to me a week ago.

I think Hardline is way too chaotic for it's own good but... I'm probably never touching BF4 again.

pieface

The fact that there is no Kinect support means that they are utilizing the 10% of the GPU freed after that one SDK update. I was watching Giant Bomb and they mentioned that Hardline still used Kinect, and I was surprised, as that would mean they had just dropped assets in BF4 and called it a day.

Funnily enough I genuinely thought that BF Hardline was using more of the Xbox's power than any other game I've seen before so this wouldn't surprise me. Not because of the gfx or whatever, but when BF Hardline is running, trying to snap or using any of the multi-tasking features that the Xbox provides results in everything pretty much freezing/locking up. Once I tried to open a message whilst in a multiplayer match and it must have taken about 5 minutes to load. That's not exaggerating either.

Hardline and multi-tasking really doesn't go well on the Xbox. Not sure if that's down to bad coding of the game or it's just using more CPU. I assumed it was just more power hungry.

Everdred

Just finished the campaign... I really liked it. It was so different from past Battlefield games. I kept to the shadows in every level and silently took everyone out. I also did all the evidence and arrests. Best Battlefield campaign so far.

Lakitu

st5fu

BF 4 is fantastic. If you buy the premium version now you'll be getting a shit ton of weapons and 30 maps. A lot of bang for your buck. I enjoy the maps but you'll have to realise especially in Conquest, there are plenty of vehicles which I guess may not be for you. It's still my favourite multiplayer game of the last 5 years and that's coming from someone who is predominantlyan infantry player.

But there are some bullshit ways you can die such as UCAV, and the netcode still isn't perfect.

Tried campaign last night, just finished episode 3 and ehhhhh. That arrest mechanic is really jarring, it's far too binary. There was one instance of three guys standing together, one a bit closer than the other, and because I hadn't got into the FREEZE range for the remaining two the first one surrounded and the other two started firing (this is on hardest difficulty, not sure if that makes a difference).

Don't like how there are some instances of guys obviously grouped together waiting for you to shout FREEZE either. Or guards who will just stare off into distance for all eternity, waiting for you to arrest them.

I like that it's different and I'm liking the general vibe of the campaign but honestly, that arrest mechanic isn't contributing to my enjoyment of campaign. If anything, it feels like a needless bother.

I recommend just blasting everyone, and using the taser if you want to do the arrest warrants. The game would have been more fun for me that way. Though, arresting groups on hard difficulty is probably the easiest way to clear it since it's almost impossible to be caught if you limit yourself to no more than two at a time. With three sometimes I had issues getting their red meters to go down for reasons that weren't clear to me.

meppi

Absolutely loved BC2 and would still be playing it if the player base was there.
Hated BF4 and just about everything about it.
The only worthwhile maps for me were the Naval Strike DLC and they ran like crap most of the time. Right now, official servers are pretty much non-existent so if you get it, be ready to get kicked and banned by admins who can't handle being killed by you.

I deleted BF4 from my HDD last week and it's not getting installed again.
Hardline is the complete opposite for me.
Everything works as it should and in the week that I've played it, I've had much more fun with it than the years I played BF4 and even 3.

Closest thing to a BC3 game that we're gonna get and it certainly doesn't take itself too serious either.
Love the little things like spotting a police vehicle as the bad guys and hearing "I've got a clown car over here".
Or during some random event as cops, hearing someone on your side yell "Is this Police Academy or what?". :D

From the 4 modes I tied so far I ended up loving all of them. Conquest (preferably small), Hotwire, Blood Money and Heist.
In BF4 the only worthwhile mode was Conquest as the other modes played like garbage.

in the end I would fully recommend Hardline over BF4. Heck, I would recommend Advanced Warfare, Shadow Fall, Destiny and any number of FPSes over BF4.

Lulu23

Does anybody else have the problem where the orange unlock indicator doesn't go away even if you checked everything? It only does it on the criminals' side for me, and I hate it.

Also, small palm trees (e.g. on Everglades) don't have any stems. The leaves are just floating in the air, both in MP and SP.

PS4 here btw.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Although it's often demoralizing when you get a birds-eye view of how frequently entire squads of your team ignore the objective.

There is a quote I read now and then in military stuff, "Never give an order that will not be obeyed."

The same holds true here, but for different reasons. Instead of trying to direct the squads when most of them will ignore your Points of Interest pay attention to what the squads are doing and figure out what their actual point of interest is and designate it before they get there, that way you get the points anyway.

As a BF veteran from 1942 and having played every single BF game since, I really dislike this game.

I got it for $15 on PC through a friend who works for an EA dev studio, and I don't even think its worth that much. This game just isn't BF. The cops and robbers theme has potential, but they executed it so poorly IMO.

The gameplay doesn't feel like BF. The gunplay feels really wonky. I could see fans of the COD series or something similar enjoying this, but for a BF head like myself I really dislike it. The TTK is also ridiculously low.

The worst part about the game are the maps for me. I haven't found a single map I like. To make it worse, some maps are COMPLETELY unplayable in certain game modes. I'm a diehard Conquest player in all BF games, and CQ in Hardline is so bad. None of the maps are built well enough to support it.

Hotwire seems cool on the surface, but is mostly a joke of a mode. Most of the matches I tried devolved into people just driving in circles gaining XP and cash.

Heist is okay, but again I feel like the maps are such shit that any potential the mode has is ruined.

Blood money is probably the best of the modes, but there is like zero tactics being used it seems. Either people just blasting fools at the money zones or camping the return zones.

This game should have been $20 retail AT THE MOST. Its nothing more than a mod or expansion to BF4. I cannot believe they are charging $60 for this, and another $60 for premium. Its really ridiculous.

I'll be going back to BF4. BF3 is my favorite BF of all time, and BF4 recently has gotten extremely close to being just as good. Its infinitely better than Hardline for me.

Ugh, what is happening to BF...

Tubie

As a BF veteran from 1942 and having played every single BF game since, I really dislike this game.

I got it for $15 on PC through a friend who works for an EA dev studio, and I don't even think its worth that much. This game just isn't BF. The cops and robbers theme has potential, but they executed it so poorly IMO.

The gameplay doesn't feel like BF. The gunplay feels really wonky. I could see fans of the COD series or something similar enjoying this, but for a BF head like myself I really dislike it. The TTK is also ridiculously low.

The worst part about the game are the maps for me. I haven't found a single map I like. To make it worse, some maps are COMPLETELY unplayable in certain game modes. I'm a diehard Conquest player in all BF games, and CQ in Hardline is so bad. None of the maps are built well enough to support it.

Hotwire seems cool on the surface, but is mostly a joke of a mode. Most of the matches I tried devolved into people just driving in circles gaining XP and cash.

Heist is okay, but again I feel like the maps are such shit that any potential the mode has is ruined.

Blood money is probably the best of the modes, but there is like zero tactics being used it seems. Either people just blasting fools at the money zones or camping the return zones.

This game should have been $20 retail AT THE MOST. Its nothing more than a mod or expansion to BF4. I cannot believe they are charging $60 for this, and another $60 for premium. Its really ridiculous.

I'll be going back to BF4. BF3 is my favorite BF of all time, and BF4 recently has gotten extremely close to being just as good. Its infinitely better than Hardline for me.

This is not a mainline BF game, that's the whole point, think of it as a spin off.

The only thing this game and BF4 have in common is conquest large and as you said that mode is shit in this game because this game wasn't designed around 64 player classic conquest battles. The gunplay, ttk, weapon balance, vehicles, maps and modes are all very different from BF4.

It's very different from what classic BF is. You said this yourself, right? If it's so different from BF and BF4, how can you call it a BF4 mod?

Kabuto

totally agree with you. I've put in over 1100 hours in BF4 and after the patches DICE put out, it is probably my favorite Battlefield game.

The cops and robbers theme has potential, but they executed it so poorly IMO.

These reasons are what make me so hesitant to purchase the game even for $40 next week. 9 maps and no gun balance in the game at all is just turrible.

The game is so boring to watch on Twitch as well since the maps are so tiny.

Tubie

These reasons are what make me so hesitant to purchase the game even for $40 next week. 9 maps and no gun balance in the game at all is just turrible.

You should definitely not buy this game expecting it to be similar to BF4, that will lead to frustration and hatred for the game.

About gun balance tho: Vanilla BF4 had the ACE23 as king of the world and they never really nerfed it. Then China Rising came out and the MTAR21 was crazy OP and that stayed that way for months. Then SA brought you the GOL (not as OP as other weapons but it did shit on every other SR except the SRR at long ranges). Then NS brought you the AWS who also remained a 800 RoF, 100 Round, 2.5 second tactical reload, zero recoiling monster for months. And DT gave us the Deagle44.

They basically introduced OP guns with every DLC in order to incite people into buying said DLC.

Every BF has had wonky gun balance, with some guns always being way better than the rest, but at least in Hardline they are releasing the first weapon balancing patch soon (not months from now).

You're a BF veteran and you don't realize this isn't a mainline BF game. A spinoff? You must have had a coronary trying to rationalize 2142 then.

The only critique against this game should be the price - and the tacked on "premium" bullshit. But that's on EA. Otherwise it's actually very good, especially the non-Conquest modes. People driving around cars in Hotwire, getting money and xp!? You don't say....

There is a quote I read now and then in military stuff, "Never give an order that will not be obeyed."

The same holds true here, but for different reasons. Instead of trying to direct the squads when most of them will ignore your Points of Interest pay attention to what the squads are doing and figure out what their actual point of interest is and designate it before they get there, that way you get the points anyway.

Well, I don't know about any of that, but last night I continued my Hacker streak for awhile, and actually did get a few teams that went to my POI's. It was pretty nice. Granted I tried hard not to abuse these commands, and only used them when I really wanted them to go somewhere, such as return to the vault when I saw incoming enemies, or lead them to a hidden spawn beacon. And most the time they did it, after which I rewarded them with upgrades like Scooby snacks.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Reminds me of BC2... the biggest compliment a BF game can get!

LOL, when people were ripping this game to shreds pre release I literally said that Hardline was going to be the next BC2 and someone of a cult hit.

Judging by this thread I think I am right about the first one, time will tell if it becomes a cult hit.

Kowalski

Banned
I was on the fence on Hardline. I tried the beta and I still was on the fence. I gambled and purchased the game anyways, but coupons did help with the purchase though.

I have to admit, I'm having lots of fun with it. However, only in certain modes like Blood Money, Heist, and Hotwire.

Conquest is what I played majority of the time in previous BF games, but I just cant get into CQ in Hardline. To me, it doesnt have that BF feeling. So I avoid CQ in Hardline unless my buddies really really want to play CQ.

Is there a known issue for matchmaking on PS4? When I go to the server browser for conquest large I'm literally getting maybe 5 fullish games and a bunch of 0/64, and when I try to connect to any of them it says I've lost connection to the session. Trying quick match yields the same results. NAT type 2 and everything else on the console works fine.

Don't tell me that there's just not enough people playing and I've wasted $60 :(

Edit: googled and I see some official "we're working on it" stuff, but mostly from a week ago. I take it that this has not been worked out yet. Bummer.

One frustrating thing about this game is the complete lack of anything to spend money on.

I have 500k just sitting there with absolutely nothing worth buying or I need to grind out 1250 kills with weapons to even have the ability to unlock stuff I'm remotely interested in.

Looks like I'm wasting cash on Battlepacks.

Apart from that I'm still having a heap of fun in this game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Got the game ... but i've been to sick to play it.
Hopefully this weekend ill go ham!

1337Sauce

Add me up on Xbox One

GT: 1 4m 1337Sauce

Need some people who play mostly later at night. I'll be on for a while tonight (starting in a little), and want to get a GAF squad going for some double XP!

Top Bottom